How come models never lift heavy ?

Options

Replies

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Her goal is to get someone to agree that a barbie workout is what she needs. She's close, but I don't think anyone has yet.

What's up with the *kitten* response ? Like I need to prove to you that I lift heavy enough or some ****. The point of this topic was to discuss if high reps with little weights can be as effective as weightlifting in terms of fat loss. Unfortunately, due to my poor choice of language, people understood that I wanna look like a VS model/that I think they're perfect and now you're throwing in this nonsense that I'm secretly craving a barbie workout. To be honest, I absolutely hate cardio and lifting makes me feel really, really happy, so why would I be seeking someone's approval that I need a barbie workout ?

Then my apologies. It just seemed you wanted evidence to prove out that lifting light would give people model like results (that and disregarding the genetic factors). We are all built with our own flaws (I carry belly fat and even though I can see my pelvic veins, I don't have a six pack). I'll have to get below 10% bf to see a six pack. I'll get close, but will have to accept I can't look that way all the time.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    For what it's worth, I've done some modeling and have only been all the happier with my body since integrating weights into my workout. Not putting myself even remotely in the vicinity of VS models, but I'm hoping I can lend some perspective :flowerforyou: I suppose it depends on your genetics and frame, but cardio alone just made me thin. Weights took me from thin to having some definition that photographs far better in my opinion and lends to a more feminine figure.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Because they are starving to DEATH!

VS lingerie models are starving to death? No, they are not. This way of thinking is actually pretty ignorant. The VS models are very healthy and not too thin. They are lingerie models (not high fashion models). Yes, in some of the photoshopped photos they can look too thin. On the runway they are not "starving to death". They may be more slender than what you find appealing, but that's not the same as starving to death. They have a job that requires a specific lifestyle and aesthetic. And they go on a competition style diet and workout routine some months before the Christmas runway show. They are also tall, which makes them appear even more slender in the legs.

Just goes to prove the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I agree with the previous poster. Most models look like they are starving to death.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Maybe Miss America winner might help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfnyBOpCZOU

And yes, she plugs a different logging site at the end. Sorry MFP.

I'm not usually a fan of the pageants, but I love her! She chose a cause to support that is also very important to me.

A lot of the pageant girls (not all) do lift weights.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    OP: All I know is that wanting to look like someone else is not healthy. It takes you off your path and devalues the hard work you've done so far. I want to look like the best me and that's what I work toward.

I completely disagree with this. Physical appearance is one of many human attributes. If it is ok to emulate other people's ambition or drive or altruism or education, it is also perfectly ok to emulate their physical fitness and/or physical appearance.
    I completely disagree with this. Be the best YOU possible and compete with yourself... take measurements, set goals, whether it is going farther or increasing weight or reps...reach your potential by challenging yourself

you will never be someone else, so stop trying....you can admire them, but do not compare yourself to them.

Agree
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

VS lingerie models are starving to death? No, they are not. This way of thinking is actually pretty ignorant. The VS models are very healthy and not too thin. They are lingerie models (not high fashion models). Yes, in some of the photoshopped photos they can look too thin. On the runway they are not "starving to death". They may be more slender than what you find appealing, but that's not the same as starving to death. They have a job that requires a specific lifestyle and aesthetic. And they go on a competition style diet and workout routine some months before the Christmas runway show. They are also tall, which makes them appear even more slender in the legs.

Just goes to prove the saying "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I agree with the previous poster. Most models look like they are starving to death.

Well, I eat 1900 to 2500 calories a day (I'm 5'2" and weigh around 100 pounds). And I am slim and slender. Definitely not starving to death. There is a huge difference between slender and healthy and starving to death. Yeah, it is ignorant to not understand that. I'm not saying everyone has to have the same aesthetic taste, but it does not mean people are dying just because you do not like the look.

VS models are lingerie models. That is not the same as a high fashion model (many of them are too thin).
  • KimiSlims
    Options
    I achieved this body type last year and I am working towards it again. My girlfriends actually said my body looked like a VS model and some were asking how I did it. I was jogging/cycling a few days a week as well as pole dancing everyday. I also did lots of reps with low weights, and hula hooping/hoop dancing is great too. If you have the means to do it, buy an X-Pole and learn how to do tricks/pole climbing on YouTube. It's amazing the strength and tone you can get from learning something so fun :)
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Your post uses words like "apparently" "seems" and "claims" . I've read arcticles claiming the opposite of Victoria's Secret models.

Why are you so worried about them? Do what works for you.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Miranda Kerr apparently did weight training. I don't know how heavy those weights are in the pic, but they don't appear to be Barbie weights..

http://www.handbag.com/life/news/a429124/miranda-kerr-pushes-her-weight-training-before-victorias-secret-show.html

Those look like maybe 15#, not really a heavy weight for most women. Especially for legs. Together, they probably weigh as much as a 4 year old child.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this OP, and I wish I had gotten here sooner with this link, but check this out:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I think that may have more of the info you are looking for. good luck!

Yeah, I shared that also.

I didn't get through all the posts, but I'm happy to hear that it was shared! it's a great article. :smile:
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't know if anyone posted this OP, and I wish I had gotten here sooner with this link, but check this out:

http://bretcontreras.com/how-to-attain-a-slender-look-like-jessica-alba-zoe-saldana/

I didn't get through all the posts, but I'm happy to hear that it was shared! it's a great article. :smile:

It is, well done and from a great source! And people are more likely to read it when more than one person shares it. I actually only shared it towards the end of the thread also.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Well, I eat 1900 to 2500 calories a day (I'm 5'2" and weigh around 100 pounds). And I am slim and slender. Definitely not starving to death. There is a huge difference between slender and healthy and starving to death. Yeah, it is ignorant to not understand that. I'm not saying everyone has to have the same aesthetic taste, but it does not mean people are dying just because you do not like the look.

VS models are lingerie models. That is not the same as a high fashion model (many of them are too thin).

Agreed.

I always think the VS models look healthy and lovely. I'd love to have a body like that. I actually have the hourglass shape, but I'm short so it will never happen. But I wouldn't complain if a genie came along and gave it to me. :-)
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Miranda Kerr apparently did weight training. I don't know how heavy those weights are in the pic, but they don't appear to be Barbie weights..

http://www.handbag.com/life/news/a429124/miranda-kerr-pushes-her-weight-training-before-victorias-secret-show.html

Those look like maybe 15#, not really a heavy weight for most women. Especially for legs. Together, they probably weigh as much as a 4 year old child.

When I see "lift heavy", I think progression strength training with compound lifts. VS models do not do that. If it means, "sometimes picks up dumbbells", or "does bodyweight exercises", then VS models do "lift heavy". :p
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

It is, well done and from a great source! And people are more likely to read it when more than one person shares it. I actually only shared it towards the end of the thread also.

completely agreed! while that particular body type is not what I am personally working towards, I thought it was a fantastic write up and I really appreciated that he did that. I wish more people would recognize that not all women want to look the same.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

When I see "lift heavy", I think progression strength training with compound lifts. VS models do not do that. If it means, "sometimes picks up dumbbells", or "does bodyweight exercises", then VS models do "lift heavy". :p

Some of them work with trainers and do barbell squats. I don't know how heavy, but it includes the 45 pound bar plus plates. Maybe not highly impressive, but not 15 pound dumbbells either.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

completely agreed! while that particular body type is not what I am personally working towards, I thought it was a fantastic write up and I really appreciated that he did that. I wish more people would recognize that not all women want to look the same.

I like it because I have that body type naturally, so the article helps explain that it's not unhealthy or a flawed human being to have that body type. I strive to lift heavy, but I don't work with a trainer, so my progress is similiar to this article (as he explains that there is a "built in safety" due to not being an expert at weight lifting). I do lift my own body weight in deadlifts and hip thrusts. Squats are a slower progression for me due to structural issues, past injuries, and being somewhat cautious with over training and injury due to my being a dancer.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

Some of them work with trainers and do barbell squats. I don't know how heavy, but it includes the 45 pound bar plus plates. Maybe not highly impressive, but not 15 pound dumbbells either.

A 45# bar isn't that much more than 2x15# dumbbells..... The first day I ever tried a squat, I did the bar, and it was too easy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

A 45# bar isn't that much more than 2x15# dumbbells..... The first day I ever tried a squat, I did the bar, and it was too easy.

But, I said with plates. But, I agree that I don't know what plates they use.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Lifting weights won't make you bulky.

VS models obviously don't lift weights because they aren't bulky.

Two phrases people like to contradict themselves with.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights won't make you bulky.

VS models obviously don't lift weights because they aren't bulky.

Two phrases people like to contradict themselves with.
    People like to say nasty things about women's bodies. *sigh*