What's wrong with Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    i deadlift at my planet fitness all the time and i have never had anyone tell me not to. there are always lots of people in the weight lifting area doing powerlifts and such... i don't know why people think they don't "allow" you to lift.... because they do.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I go to PF 6 days a week, have been for about a year. It is a nice options for me as it is close to my work and $10.00 a month, they have free weights, allow hoods and hats and ive only heard the lunk alarm go off once and that was for some guy yelling into his cell phone in the middle of the gym. It is however a beginners gym and im looking to make a move to something a little more serious in the future but will most likely keep the membership just to have a close option. The pizza is on the first Monday night of each month, willpower is available everyday however.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    No grunting and they don't like bodybuilders. I wish it was my gym. Mine is just the opposite (rhymes with Mold's Tim) but it's convenient.

My PF has a LOT of bodybuilding types. Even the staff trainer there is one.

It comes down to each location, they are are independently owned so it just depends on how the owner feels. I never hear the lunk alarm and most of the people who go to mine are very fit. I'd say mine is 70% fit people, 20% people trying to get fit and 10% elderly finding a way to spend their day on the recumbent bikes. :happy:
  • moment_to_arise
    moment_to_arise Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    No grunting and they don't like bodybuilders. I wish it was my gym. Mine is just the opposite (rhymes with Mold's Tim) but it's convenient.

It comes down to each location, they are are independently owned so it just depends on how the owner feels. I never hear the lunk alarm and most of the people who go to mine are very fit. I'd say mine is 70% fit people, 20% people trying to get fit and 10% elderly finding a way to spend their day on the recumbent bikes. :happy:

same here, lotsa heavily muscled people at mine.... in fact the only time i heard the lunk alarm go off, was when they set it off to get everyone's attention one morning because one of the staff was leaving to move to another state and we were all saying goodbye to him... really a nice community and people are helpful, always willing to spot. and again, i ALWAYS deadlift without opposition....

maybe it does depend on where you go.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    What's wrong? Nothing, unless you want to lift heavy with free weights. They simply don't have the proper equipment for it. Otherwise, they're cheap and clean and have plenty of other stuff you can use.
  • rich347
    rich347 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong; I love their commercials "I Pick Stuff up and Put Stuff Down” lol
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

^^ This right here.

I went to the PF in Providence RI and they had a ton of equipment that my normal PF doesn't have including a squat rack, olympic bars for benching, a lot more weight plates than my PF has, but then again it was also three times the size of the one that I go to.

Mine also has very fit, body builder types that go there and they hardly EVER pull the lunk alarm. If they do it's only because someone is being a complete and total *kitten* and it's usually on people they know.

I go there because it's close and affordable. I'm not a cardio bunny. I lift as heavy as I can. My goal isn't to be a power lifter but to be lean and muscular which I am. It doesn't matter how much equipment a gym does or doesn't have what matters is the person whose working out. You can go to a fancy gym and probably find just as many over weight people who aren't losing and just going through the motions of working out as you can when you go to a PF. To say that someone who goes there is just interested in cardio, is a fat @ss and will never gain any muscle is ridiculous. I work my butt off there and have the body to show it. It's all about the person and not necessarily the gym.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Nothing is wrong; I love their commercials "I Pick Stuff up and Put Stuff Down” lol

Pretty hard to do when all they have are machines. (I think we have already established the majority of locations either have ZERO free weights at all or hardly any at all)

Do they have customers lifting their machines and moving them to another location within the gym?

False Advertising
  • Pete0725
    Pete0725 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It's a matter of personal preference...some prefer Gold's Gym. As long as you accomplish your goals, it does't matter what gym you attend - as long as you are comfortable attending the gym.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with it? Two words. Lunk Alarm.

I lift heavy with dumbbells. I lift heavy enough so my last rep of 8 is pretty tough. Sometimes, I gotta grunt. I would totally set off that lunk alarm and be shamed for grunting. They seem to think it "intimidates" the other exercisers. I call BS.

Thank goodness I have my weights at home.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

The one location by me has no free weights. All machines.

Might as well buy a bowflex

Um....no...just no

http://tinyurl.com/kqmh8pu
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    any gym that does not allow deadlifting is a NO in my book...

I also hear that they put out pizza, bagels, and all kinds of crap for people to eat...talk about trying to sabotage someone..!
    The only person who can sabatage you is you...they don't force you to eat the stuff.

Ok - but why brand yourself as a "gym" and then offer a bunch of crap for people to eat? seems counter productive to me...that would be like going to AA and they have an open bar set up ...

Crap? Pizza is not crap, far from it. (well, unless it's Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's) It sounds perfect for a single person. Head to the gym, get your cardio in, grab your dinner, then head home.
  • aakaakaak
    aakaakaak Posts: 1,240 Member
    Options
    I have a Planet Fitness coming near me, but I've heard a lot of negative reviews on this gym.
    What's bad about Planet Fitness?

The one location by me has no free weights. All machines.

Might as well buy a bowflex

Um....no...just no

http://tinyurl.com/kqmh8pu

1. craigslist.org
    2. Search: squat + weight + bench [OR] Bowflex
    3. Profit
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Ok - but why brand yourself as a "gym" and then offer a bunch of crap for people to eat? seems counter productive to me...that would be like going to AA and they have an open bar set up ...

I agree with you, in fact, I made that exact comment in one of these "Planet Fitness" threads a while back.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    I was a member of PF for quite some time. I liked it for a while. I could use cardio machines and do stretches and weight machines. Once I got into real weight lifting, I quickly realized it wasn't for me. I didn't go to the gym for a week because I was sick and when I came back there were signs all over the gym saying no cleans, deadlifts, overhead presses, or snatches. I was trying to do Starting Strength for the first time. I ignored the signs and tried learning Hang Power Cleans with an empty bar. Not bothering anybody and keeping quiet. The "personal trainer" came up to me and said it wasn't allowed. I went up front to talk to the manager about the rule. I said how that wasn't a rule when I signed my agreement when I joined two years prior to that. He gave me the "rules are subject to change" bull****.

I was basically told I'm not allowed to do half my workout for some arbitrary reason. Of course you can do it with dumbbells. Why? My guess is that people find it "less threatening." I was a super beginner trying to learn real lifts and was basically told to give up on it with no real guidance on what to do otherwise. And the reasoning was some ill-informed crap about them being "bodybuilding moves."

If you care about strength, you will not like Planet Fitness. Even if you don't right now, look into if you may want to lift eventually. PF used to be the only cheap option in town for me, but since they started jacking up their price (now it's $15 if you don't want to sign a one year commitment), and with other competition (check out Snap Fitness and YouFit), they're not the only game in town.

EDIT: For the lunk alarm, I had tried lifting other times before this incident. I had been the subject of the lunk alarm a few times. Why? Because I was doing One-Arm DB Rows and I my arm was tired and accidentally dropped a 35lb dumbbell about 5 inches from the floor. Yeah...
  • TEMMEAlexa
    TEMMEAlexa Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Gym is good. It provides appropriate environment for workout. But we must take care of our eating habits. Vegan diet provides necessary minerals. What if you go to the gym regularly and have unbalanced diet?
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I was a member of PF for quite some time. I liked it for a while. I could use cardio machines and do stretches and weight machines. Once I got into real weight lifting, I quickly realized it wasn't for me. I didn't go to the gym for a week because I was sick and when I came back there were signs all over the gym saying no cleans, deadlifts, overhead presses, or snatches. I was trying to do Starting Strength for the first time. I ignored the signs and tried learning Hang Power Cleans with an empty bar. Not bothering anybody and keeping quiet. The "personal trainer" came up to me and said it wasn't allowed. I went up front to talk to the manager about the rule. I said how that wasn't a rule when I signed my agreement when I joined two years prior to that. He gave me the "rules are subject to change" bull****.

I was basically told I'm not allowed to do half my workout for some arbitrary reason. Of course you can do it with dumbbells. Why? My guess is that people find it "less threatening." I was a super beginner trying to learn real lifts and was basically told to give up on it with no real guidance on what to do otherwise. And the reasoning was some ill-informed crap about them being "bodybuilding moves."

If you care about strength, you will not like Planet Fitness. Even if you don't right now, look into if you may want to lift eventually. PF used to be the only cheap option in town for me, but since they started jacking up their price (now it's $15 if you don't want to sign a one year commitment), and with other competition (check out Snap Fitness and YouFit), they're not the only game in town.

EDIT: For the lunk alarm, I had tried lifting other times before this incident. I had been the subject of the lunk alarm a few times. Why? Because I was doing One-Arm DB Rows and I my arm was tired and accidentally dropped a 35lb dumbbell about 5 inches from the floor. Yeah...

This is an unbelievable post and illustrates why I hate PF. They seem to relish the idea of complacency vs. progress and that's just stupid. I feel sorry for you that this happened - here you are, genuinely trying to get better in your gym and THEY judge YOU for it. Judgment free my eye.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I think Planet Fitness is a great gym for those who are beginning a fitness regimen. It is not a gym for those who are seriously weight-lifting as it is not designed for that. Otherwise for a cheap 24 hr gym it's great. I went to one here in town for about 3 yrs or so. PF doesn't have classes so if you are into fitness classes that is going to be a sacrifice. At $10 a month they have to skip on alot of amenities that a normal gym has. Also, their "customer appreciation" days with pizza for dinner and bagels for breakfast, kinda contradict the purpose of the gym, but I go to Gold's gym and they do the same thing from time to time too. It's worth it to try it out esp since there is no contract. If you don't like it just give them 30 days notice and you can go elsewhere.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I also hear that they put out pizza, bagels, and all kinds of crap for people to eat...talk about trying to sabotage someone..!
    The only person who can sabatage you is you...they don't force you to eat the stuff.

Crap? Pizza is not crap, far from it. (well, unless it's Pizza Hut or Little Caesar's) It sounds perfect for a single person. Head to the gym, get your cardio in, grab your dinner, then head home.
    OK - so you go to the gym an burn 300 calorie and then grab a slice that is about 200 calories...you just destroyed about 75% of your workout...brilliant!
    I like pizza..but it is not exactly a post workout low cal option for someone that is just starting out or is trying to change their eating habits...
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

OK - so you go to the gym an burn 300 calorie and then grab a slice that is about 200 calories...you just destroyed about 75% of your workout...brilliant!
    I like pizza..but it is not exactly a post workout low cal option for someone that is just starting out or is trying to change their eating habits...

but then couldn't that be said of anything that's eaten after the workout that's 200 calories?

would it make a difference if they offered a 200 calories salad or a 200 calorie protein shake?