WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I felt giddy and happy today because the ice was off most of the streets in my neighborhood; oh yay! Now we need some sunshine :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Heather, when I read your post this morning about avoiding the plank, I realized that I’d forgotten to do one yesterday so I got right up and went to the other room and did my 90 second plank for today…….I think you are right to continue to be vigilant about your weight even if your BMI at a healthy level….I continue to be vigilant so it doesn’t creep up and so unhealthy habits don’t sneak up on me.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, congrats on starting with planks……just do one every day and try to last a little longer and you’ll be surprised at your continued improvement.

:flowerforyou: Sandy, congrats on getting off one of your meds……..I love that you’ve created your own kind of holiday traditions for your family…..sounds like a fun day.

:flowerforyou: Diamond, welcome……keep coming back and tell us more about yourself.

:flowerforyou: Brenda, welcome……..I have two poodles so I walk every day because the dogs are always ready to walk….they are a big piece of my fitness program.

:flowerforyou: Barbara, I stopped baking in 2009 when I started on MFP….gave away all my baking equipment and ingredients and haven’t looked back……I also began looking at the question of who I really needed to give gifts to, and figured out that the list was very short (and gets shorter all the time)

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, vegetarians eat no meat……vegans eat no animal products (meat, eggs, dairy)

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Today the line dance performance group danced at three senior residences to fairly large and enthusiastic audiences. We danced well, wore great festive clothing, and had fun. Afterwards most of us went out for a drink to a place where the son of one of the dancers works. I had club soda and a glass of water.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 15,000 steps today
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    A bit of a downer post~:cry:

Hello all you gorgeous Ladies :flowerforyou:
    I am so ashamed of myself .I stopped logging and just begin to feel sorry for myself.I am pulling out of it.I gained back 10 pounds and just feel physically awful:embarassed:
    .Not sure what happened-or could be many things.Getting back into the swing of things at home-winter setting in -losing my beloved furbaby.
    So taking a new approach and that seems to help.
    Thanks for looking.
    peace and love~
    Molly in chilly WV
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    grandmalle - I'm with you, I HATE ice. When we moved to Kennett Square that's one of the things I really noticed, because they are a bit further south than the Poconos, they got ice when the Poconos would get snow. Fortunately, down here we rarely get ice, which is just fine by me. And if we do, it's usually gone really shortly. That's good. I do hope for you that you have at least traveling weather on Saturday.

cheryl - welcome back! Did you see our Halloween decorations on facebook?

Did about 10 minutes of yoga today, then held my plank for 2 min 30 seconds, will go to the extremepump class later this morning. Then I'll come home to give Loki his med and maybe do a little shopping, need to get a card, have a $15 off coupon at JC Penney so might get Lynette a gift and need to get some Nature's Miracle at the pet store. I totally forgot to ask Vince to get it yesterday when he went.

Heather - in the past our Christmas day dinner was Christmas Eve leftovers. However, last year Jesica wanted to have a ham so it looks like we'll be having dinner, too. But a lot of it is going to be leftovers.

Cindy - I really love when restaurants have their menu online, I can see what I want and prelog it. Also, one thing that Vince comments is that I spend so much time talking that I don't look at the menu. So...if I know what I'm going to order, then I can talk away and he won't have anything to say....lol

PatC - I do give the cookies away after the holidays. That is, excxept for the ones that Vince will eat.

Sandy - when was your daughter's birthday, I don't remember. I'm so sorry that your childhood Christmases weren't exactly something you'd care to write home about, but so glad you're doing so well for your children. I'm sure they'll remember it all.

diamondmp - welcome!

Brenda from Tortonto - welcome to you, too. I like the Leslie Sansone walking DVD's too. What surprises me is how much of a sweat I work up

Barbsunshine - at least the ice was on top of snow. What I've done as far as inexpensive gifts for friends is during the year I'd do some sort of crafts -- make a blanket, coasters. Of course, this isn't something you can do in a few hours (or even weeks)

Meg - I can't explain it, but lately I really haven't had much desire to eat the cookie dough. Interesting...... When I was growing up, we didn't do a whole lot for Christmas, 8 or 9 presents. But Vince's family went all out. I remember when the kids were little he wanted me to wrap each and every present that went into their stockings. I didn't have all that much time so I used tissue paper which is precut. And I heard all about it.

Molly - sending ytou big hugs

Went to the extremepump class. As I was going there, on the other side of the highway was an accident, I could see that it must have just happened, the traffic was all backed up. Well, when I got out of the class I figured "it's been 1-1/2 hrs, surely they have it cleared up". Nope!!! The road was closed so I had to take a detour. Came home then went to get a sweater for Lynette, cards but they didn't have a French one for Bryan so I need to go to another Hallmark store, Aldi, Petsmart (I'd forgotten to tell Vince to get one item yesterday.). Came home and made these "death by chocolate" cookies. Then needed to make these graham bars since I'm going to give some to the guy who used to own the house (he got a piece of mail that Vince says he really needs. Vince got the same thing in the mail.) Had a turkey meatloaf and then went to the cookie exchange at mahjongg. One gal had a cold and was going to leave early and another gal needed to leave so we finished up early. I went to Lowe's Foods.

I can't explain it, but at mahjongg I got this crampy feeling in my gut, kind of like what I had at Thanksgiving and then a few days later I got my period. If I get my period again, something is definitely wrong.

Cut up the graham bars. Took a shower and am getting ready for bed.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele in NC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I went to the hand doctor and he took some more x-rays of my hand. We looked at them together and there is a shadowy area where the damage is but we couldn't see any serious break. I'll take that as a blessing. He said the brace I have is just fine and to continue wearing it for about a month. I have another appointment in two weeks I think I was very lucky that my fall didn't end up with a more serious outcome.:bigsmile:
  • dawnhegarty5
    dawnhegarty5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Can I join? I'm 61 and struggling with sweets! I eat good meals but lose it with sweets! Determined to do better!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    We have several local online yard sales that are on face book so I posted on one that I was looking for a recumbent bike. I got an answer today!!!!! This lady's Mom has one in a storage unit. I'm not a good hagler. She was asking $100 for it. I looked it up on Ebay and the same one is listed for close to $200. So I decided to be brave and asked her if she would go lower. She asked me how low and I said $50. My son in law had bought an eliptical on Craigslist for $50 so I threw out that number. She said $80. It looks like it has a good seat, not a bicycle seat but the bucket seat like a car. So I said yes!!!!! I am hoping that I can get my husband involved in riding it also. But he wants it in the family room where he can watch his big screen TV. I told him no it's going in the already crowded living room. I just hope that it doesn't turn into an expensive clothes rack.

Joyce, Indiana
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Feeling a little better everyday :smile: I'm so pleased that I have lost a few pounds too! Not the way I wanted to lose pounds mind, but I'll take advantage of the fact that eating/ the thought of eating made me feel sick :sick: :sick: Now I can eat a little, I need to be careful not to go back to stuffing my face at every opportunity.

:flowerforyou: Joyce I know what you mean, the times I have bought equipment to help me lose weight and it ends up a glorified clothes rack! Good Luck with the bike, I'm sure you will use it.

:flowerforyou: Welcome back Molly, today is a new day - that's what I keep telling myself too. Sometimes life gets in the way and we make bad choices. I'm sure losing your furbaby had something to do with it too. I can't believe this year we won't have our lovely Tara with us. We used to buy her a Christmas stocking with a squeaky toy in it and she loved it. It would be lucky to survive until Boxing Day, she'd "kill" it until she got the squeaky part exposed, then we'd have to take the squeaky bit out so she didn't choke on it! We'll miss her this year.:cry:

:flowerforyou: To everyone else, have a good day and I'm thinking of you all :flowerforyou:

:ohwell: As usual, I am late and will have to get ready for work. I finish work for the Christmas break on Friday 13th December. I've saved my holidays so I can have a nice long break. I still have so much to do. I love this time of year, but must admit I am getting a little stressed. I'm sure once I can get some Christmas Shopping done I'll feel better and more in control.

Chat again soon,

Viv (York UK)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,805 Member
    Options
    morning~
    last night and this morning have not been good..the DH is barking at me,being nasty..and it really hurts:frown:
    I got up at the crack of dawn to go to the gym and the DH says it is really really icy out and not to go out until I have too.
    I am just feeling blue, physically ok,just sorta depressed:indifferent:
    it usually goes this way before a trip so i should expect this..i would really like to get some exercise but dont do well with dvd's
    will figure out something to do though...
    DH just called roads are ok, will go to the gym
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Cindy :smile: I`m looking forward to the beautiful Carolina blue skies too:love::glasses: , they say we might have sunshine this afternoon!!! I`ve never heard of steamed eggs, are they like poached eggs? Congrats on the plank, just keep doing them and you`ll build up your time!

Sandy :smile: Sounds like you have a good tradition for your family!

Meg :smile: I have a little experience putting out fires too:angry: , and no, I`m not working for the fire dept.:laugh: ! It does get tiring at times! 25 degrees for the high?.....brrrrr…stay warm!!!

Sylvia :smile: Giddy with a general feeling of happiness…what a wonderful feeling:bigsmile: ! Glad Bruno is being a good dog! Pecan pralines sounds delish! How nice of you to put a list of the ingredients on your goodies!

Teral :smile: Yay for melting ice!

Barbie :smile: I`m sure you and your line dance group bring much cheer to those in the senior homes!

Molly :smile: Just take one day at a time:flowerforyou: ! I`m sure losing your precious fur baby:sad: is part of it! It`s hard, I know, but I know you can do this too! Hang in here and we`ll support you through this tough time:flowerforyou: !

Michele :smile: “Death by chocolate” cookies…..yum:love: !!!

Katla :smile: Glad you don`t have a serious break:flowerforyou: !!! I`ve had to put my wrist brace on this week too, I have tendonitis in my left wrist, I think cleaning out the freezer and putting up the tree was a bit much for my wrist!

Dawnhegarty5 :smile: You joined just by posting! Please come in often and chat with us!

Joyce :smile: Congrat on getting such a great deal on the bike!

Viv :smile: So glad you`re feeling better!

Grandmallie :smile: Sorry DH is barking at you:angry: , and you`re feeling depressed and blue:cry: , maybe getting in some exercise will help:flowerforyou: !

Welcome to everyone new:flowerforyou: ! Please come in often and chat!

I know I missed several, just out of time again…where does the time go:huh: ???

Have a wonderful day ladies! Drink you water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,093 Member
    Options
    Good Morning from the frozen land of lakes,

:flowerforyou: Welcome Breanda Diamond, Dawn.

Sandy sounds like you have a great plan to keep on track.

Meg and Sandy growing up my mom was either grumpy or sick at Christmas. So I try to go the opposite direction I try to pace myself and do the things I find important and/or enjoy. Going to Como Conservatory is at the top of the list. One thing I rarely do is bake Christmas cookies or bars.

Sylvia glad feeling better.

Katla healing wishes.

Molly glad to hear you making a new commitment.

Katla healing wishes

I found trying to give as many genuine compliments helped me get through a challenging day of subbing yesterday.
    Today's intentional act of kindness is to mail off my Christmas package to my family in St. Louis. My mom is 95 now and my sister passed away eight years ago, so I play Santa for my family that lives there.

Have a wonderful day!
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sending out all love and precious healing prayers~:heart:
    This fine group of Ladies have pulled me up.
    For all the love and support and ((hugs)) for me and my fur baby :bigsmile:

HUGS to All of You Fabulous Ladies :happy: :flowerforyou:

Molly in snowy WV
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I have no idea why, but for some reason today I have felt downright giddy with just a general feeling of happiness. Just glad the migraine is gone maybe. Rehab went well today, and I pushed myself just a tiny bit farther than last time and nothing bad happened. Went shopping for groceries, took hubby to lunch, and was just about home when the snow started falling. Our yard looks like a winter wonderland. Not deep snow, but very pretty. The neighbors are home and their dogs are inside their own fence. Bruno didn't destroy anything today. All is right with the world.

I made sweet and sour chicken for supper, so now I have extra for two or three more meals in the fridge. Later tonight I will make some pecan pralines and some pumpkin cookies for hubby's department holiday party. Does anybody know if butter, cream and eggs mean something is not vegetarian? His department it full of people with special dietary restrictions. Some eat no beef, some eat no pork, some are vegetarians. Oh well. I'll just provide a list of what's in them and people can decide for themselves.

Well, stay warm ladies!

Sylvia

On the vegetarian question, if there are animal products in it of any sort, a true vegetarian will not touch it. That said, there are different types of vegetarians, as some do eat eggs. I like your idea, put a list of ingredients out there and they can decide based on that.
  • angie007az
    Options
    Can I join? I'm 61 and struggling with sweets! I eat good meals but lose it with sweets! Determined to do better!

Welcome Dawn! :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Molly, your decision to post on this thread again is the beginning of the your recovery…now you can make an eating plan for your day and look for an opportunity to be active.
    Katla, that is great news from the hand doctor……..maybe you’ll learn new lessons of patience and adaptation as you recover---that was my experience with my back injury

:flowerforyou: Dawn, you joined just by posting…..now keep reading and posting every day….make a plan for your eating and stick to the plan, one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, putting the exercise bike in front of the TV is what made it a useful piece of equipment instead of a clothes rack…….when the TV was on, I was on the bike. Ours doesn’t work any more and there’s no money right now for a new one.

:flowerforyou: Viv, feeling better will give you more energy to accomplish things and that will help feel less stressed.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I hope you get the good weather you’re expecting.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, your kindness is infectious.

:flowerforyou: This morning the temperature is just below freezing
    warmer than yesterday---and there’s just enough snow on the ground to be pretty….my breakfast is almost finished, the dogs have been walked once and they’re eager to go out again. I’ll be careful crossing the roads with them and do most of the walking in the grassy areas.......one of the adaptations I made after my fall was to walk one dog at a time instead of both of them at the same time…it feels safer and more personal to do that….the only bad part is when I call one dog to go and the other one looks so sad when I leave her behind.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • angie007az
    Options
    I went to the hand doctor and he took some more x-rays of my hand. We looked at them together and there is a shadowy area where the damage is but we couldn't see any serious break. I'll take that as a blessing. He said the brace I have is just fine and to continue wearing it for about a month. I have another appointment in two weeks I think I was very lucky that my fall didn't end up with a more serious outcome.:bigsmile:

:drinker: That's great news!! You take care.
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good morning, ladies,

Warm welcome to everyone new stopping by; come back often. To the woman from Charleston, S.C.---I lived there 3yrs. and, although not initially thrilled with having to move there, was loving every second and would have stayed there forever by the time we had to leave. Beautiful place, lovely people!!!

I've been reading, just not posting; really got knocked off balance by the bad news and events mentioned in my last post. Still trying to repair the car long distance for DD..........icy weather out there not helping, plus the fact that she is relying on friends for rides and they are all getting ready for exams next week. Found a scrap yard that would take M/C and deliver a new (used) wheel to Walmart; car should be finished today; hopefully she can get a ride to go pick it up. I can't begin to measure how much your kind thoughts and encouragement and empathy meant to me.........deeply, deeply appreciated!!!!

A few notes from what I remember:

Katla.........following the wrist injury; so glad the brace will do the trick and you don't need re-set or any other procedure.

Sylvia...........Had an actual moment of laughter with your key story---thankyou!

Margaretturk...........I like your term "Intentional".............I think I'm going to adjust my thinking to that term.

Renny...........WOW!!! Those are some awful cold temps your son is having!!! He surely wins the cold temp contest!!!

Took Gwen to dr. yesterday again; another med changed; hoping it helps her shortness of breath.

Watched a 3 part series called "Exile" (English) on Netflix; enjoyed it........also French sub-titled "Intouchable", also enjoyed.

For many reasons, Christmas has also lost its luster over the years for me, so to those who feel that way, you have company. I do, however, have good memories from childhood. My wreath is on the door, candles in window, tree in garage in water---will bring in this weekend.

Movie with a friend---Dallas Buyers Club---on the agenda today; then meeting of the police support group this evening.

Thanks again to all who wrote words of encouragement.
    yanniejannie--mid-Atlantic
  • ArtemisSusan2013
    Options
    What a great group of supportive women! I'm returning to MFP after a long time away and really wanting to make a lifestyle change and commit to my health. I'm :smile: 50 now and have 50 pounds to get rid of, not to mention get in better physical condition. Really enjoying reading your posts and looking forward to more. :smile:
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dawnhegarty: Welcome to a great group! Where are you from? You’ll find two primary strategies around here. The first is portion control, and the second is abstaining from trigger foods. I mostly use portion control. There are a few treats that I haven’t given up entirely, but don’t keep in the house. For me, ice cream is a trigger food. I buy a cone now and then but can’t keep a carton in the freezer without pigging out. Good luck figuring out what you need to do to be successful.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Congratulations on the recumbent bike. It sounds like you got a very good deal. I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my recumbent trike.:flowerforyou:

Viv From York, UK: Congratulations on your loss, but not your illness. I hope you're feeling much better. :flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: Hugs. Sorry your DH is a barker.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I appreciate your kind words. This wrist brace has a hole that my thumb goes through and it is rubbing the area between my thumb and pointer finger. Any advice?:flowerforyou:

Margaretturk: I like your Intentional Kindnesses. :flowerforyou:

Barbie: We have a neighbor with a Standard Poodle and two doodle offspring. He walks all three at once, but I wouldn’t try it. They’re fairly large and quite energetic. I think you’re smart. The dogs will adapt and look forward to their turns.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: It sounds like you’re making progress on your daughter’s transportation situation. Good for you. I don’t know what I love most about Christmas. Being with the kids when we can all be together is great. The years in between are not as great. I do love the Christmas lights, though. :love: They help combat the winter darkness.:flowerforyou:

ArtemisSusan: Welcome. :flowerforyou:

It is snowing! Snow is so magical; it transforms the landscape. We live in an area that doesn’t get snow every year, and seldom gets it this early. I apparently tracked some in the last time I let the dog off the deck to do his business. It melted and I slipped just now but didn’t fall. I’ve mopped it up and will have to be better about wiping off my shoes when I come in. It is astonishing to me that we have hummingbirds and snow at the same time. These hummingbirds are hardy little guys!

Katla in Snowy NW Oregon

December goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink at least 3 glasses of water every day
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,357 Member
    Options
    Dawn, Artemis and other new people -WELCOME!:flowerforyou:

Last night I didn't have my 6pm drink and I felt much better for it and was able to limit my calories better. I will do the same tonight.:smile:
    We have squid, stewed in white wine with onions and garlic and finished with skinned and chpped tomatoes. I used to always use rouille for the finishing, but that is VERY fattening, (it's a spicy mayonnaise) so I have switched to tomatoes. Even better as I get DH to skin, deseed and chop them!
    In return I have made him a Whole Orange Cake as he has finished off one entire Christmas cake already! Got to keep feeding him as he drops weight really easily and then looks scraggy and unwell. Recently he has put on 2 lbs, but is still is only 149 lbs at 6ft tall.

I had yoga this morning, which means I have to limit my calories as it doesn't burn off as many as my normal regime. However, we went into town to shop this afternoon so I was active. I bought salmon fillets for Boxing Day. I will put a few drops of hickory smoke on them and a scraping of chipotle sauce. Luscious! I also had the battery changed on my watch, but they didn't have a new strap I liked. Our local town is a real old fashioned place with individual shops. We fought to keep a multiple chain out of town because we like it that way, but in the end we lost. It hasn't been built yet though and I can't see any sign of it. I love shopping in the town, going from shop to shop and saying hello to everyone. I feel as if I am in a story book. :bigsmile:

Good things on the TV tonight, while DH watches football upstairs.:happy: He goes out walking tomorrow so I can watch my new French film. It's a comedy about a Frenchwoman who goes to Hollywood. "Hollywoo". :tongue: He is walking from Selborne, a village where we looked at a house when we were moving down here, but I thought there might be too many tourists for my liking! It is the home of Gilbert White, who wrote "The Natural History of Selborne" in the 1700s, one of the first, closely observed studies of nature. His house and garden are open to the public and attract a lot of visitors. After living in Whitstable for a while I had had more than enough of tourists clogging up the place! :laugh:

Just had a delivery of a bouncy horse to keep DGS amused at Christmas. It's got to be pumped up, but looks like fun! It's like a hopper, only a horse. He hasn't got many toys down here so it's nice to keep a few for him and DGD, when she is older. Can't wait for them to come and just hoping it won't snow. DH did have football up in North London on Boxing Day, but he has declined in favour of playing with his Playmaster, DGS. :laugh: :tongue: :wink:

Love to all, especially those low in spirits. I used to be depressed, seriously, every December. I rang the Samaritans 2 yrs running so I really do understand. ((((((((×))))))).:flowerforyou: :heart:

Heather UK