I thought Subway was supposed to be good for you

Options

Replies

• CrusherKun
    CrusherKun Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    MORAL OF THE STORY ...

count the calories ahead of time and make better choices ... look at the internet, even the subway website tells you the calories

50540473.png

THIS!!!!

I always go on MFP database and research any meal i have at a restaurant chain before hand. If they dont have anything for me to search or i cant find a comp.....I dont go, or i just order a salad!
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    If I eat at work, I normally get a 3 inch turkey sandwich on flat bread, no cheese. I don't eat there a whole lot, I either eat before work or bring my lunch with me.

3"? wha?

A 3"er would be hard pressed to satisfy anyone.

I'm used to it
    You poor, poor girl :sad:

Oh my gosh... this is funny! LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

I'm glad I'm not "used to" a 3"er!!!! Pretty sure my husband is glad about that too. LOLOLOL
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    Know before you go.
    http://www.subway.com/nutrition/files/nutritionvalues.pdf
    But if that sub wasn't a foot-long, maybe your calorie target is a wee bit low...
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    also, OP, please address the concern regarding your statement that ~600 calories is almost your daily limit.
    THIS!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

If you knew that and thought it was going to be a problem, why did you eat it?
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I read that when Jared lost his weight, the sandwiches he ate were something like plain turkey, light bread, veggies and no mustard, mayo or cheese. The commercials forgot to include that part I guess!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Then why is it I ate one 6" pastrami sub and it took up dam near all my daily calories!!!

stop thinking of individual foods as "good" or "bad" and start thinking of ALL foods as just:

1) fuel for your body
    2) micro- and macro-nutrient delivery systems

then determine which foods adequately meet your daily needs for both 1) and 2) above.

^^ This

You may have individual foods that you feel fuel you better for your particular mindset and that's fine. I feel way better when I use my caloric allotment on salads with lots of fresh vegetables and a ton of avocado topped with French's onions and some ranch dressing than if I had a quarter pounder with cheese. That, however, is ME. Someone else will feel better eating the burger. And some days, I will want the burger instead, and I just make it fit. I feel my body is healthier and happier and such with more fresh fruits and vegetables and with Dave's Killer Bread instead of white bread, and it may be from a nutrition standpoint or it may not be. If one person is doing it one way and one is doing it another and #1 and #2 above are met - then ta da, success!
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    I suggest bumping up your calorie limit so one sandwich isn't your daily allowance.
  • vanessaenlow
    vanessaenlow Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's good for you if you choose to eat lighter meats, like turkey or chicken. Also if you use wheat bread not white. Also skip the cheese and mayo and load it with veggies.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    whenever i plan to go to subway i always count the calories well before ordering because it can get out of hand, especially with the cheese covered bread
  • susanhiding
    susanhiding Posts: 88 Member
    Options

If you're thinking that Subway is supposed to have healthy, dietetic options, based on Jared's success, you should know that he ate a 6 inch sub for lunch and for dinner almost daily to lose weight. What kind of sub is the key point. You should know that he ate only veggie subs, no dressings or oils, no cheese, and no veggie patty! Basically, he ate a dry salad on a sub bun.

Not to mention he walked something like 3 miles everyday to get there and back.
  • PearlAng
    PearlAng Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    Well, my subway sandwich consists of 6 inches of 9 grain bread, spinach, lettuce, tomato and sweet peppers with honey mustard. Not super high calorie. But that's what I like. If I ate meat and enjoyed cheese more, I wouldn't be ordering a salad on a sub. But those are the options at subway that I enjoy, and I think you should be able to enjoy what you like. Calories don't count unless you do, and I think sometimes we need to focus on the positives of "bad food " (I like to think no food is bad. Its neutral) . For example, it was delicious to you, right?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I ate 14 chocolate chunk cookies from Subway and was out of calories and nowhere near my protein macro for the day. Subway sux.

Who ate the cookies?? YOU DID!!!!!!!! :ohwell:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I ate 14 chocolate chunk cookies from Subway and was out of calories and nowhere near my protein macro for the day. Subway sux.

I smell a lawsuit for false advertising. Subway is going DOWN!
  • Sweetredpoison
    Sweetredpoison Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I noticed!! If you skip the cheese and get a low-fat/low-cal dressing it won't be as bad.
  • DJ478
    DJ478 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Since its Customer Appreciate month Subway is giving the cold cut combo, meatball, or veggie six inch for $2. I got the veggie, brought it home, and put my own chicken on it. Reasonably healthy AND cheap, double score!
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    As many have said, Subway's about the choices you make. I like Jimmy John's better when given the choice for a fast food sub though! If you make healthier choices there, you can get double the size sub for almost the same calorie total. My favorite Jimmy John's order is a Turkey Tom without mayo/with avocado and provolone. It comes out to 440 calories for their full-size on the regular bread, but you could easily eat half if you were in a calorie crunch and save the rest for later. So good!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I read that when Jared lost his weight, the sandwiches he ate were something like plain turkey, light bread, veggies and no mustard, mayo or cheese. The commercials forgot to include that part I guess!

Jared wasn't doing it right...... :wink: I ate subway several times a week and it certainly wasn't plain turkey.... My go to was ft. long Buffalo chicken with extra sauce and loaded with veggie, BMT loaded, and/or Cold cut combo loaded, with honey mustard all on the cheesy italian bread..... and I still lost a few pounds.... There is no good or bad food, only food and finding a way to make what you want fit within your caloric intake and macros
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who's surprised by how many people would rather sacrifice cheese than dressing?

Setting aside the higher nutritional content of cheese, a ham sandwich without dressing is fine but one without cheese is only half a sandwich.