Babies in the Work Place

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    You could find another doctor. I know people that got tubal ligations in their 20's.
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'll complain bc I didn't get enough sleep, and she'll say "I never get enough sleep, I have kids." B!TCH, you CHOSE to have kids. I have no kids, therefore I am allowed to be miserable when I am exhausted. YOU are allowed to be miserable if you're exhausted, you just can't blame your kids for it because you're the one who brought them into the world in the first place. Another example is I once posted a picture of a really cool manicure I did myself, and she said I wish I had the time to do my nails.

This is why I stopped eating lunch in our breakroom at work. I got tired of hearing these kinds of responses to everything I would say!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor if she would take my uterus out... she glared at me and said NO.

Mine said no to...supposedly she knows me better than I do and knows I will "change my mind"

I've been trying to get my tubes tied forever but alas, I'm only 18-20-21-22-23-23-25-26 and with more time I'll change my mind. So now I've got the implant, because 3 years of freedom is the best I can hope for apparently.

I'm on my second implant!!

I'm fond of it. The peace of mind is priceless.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    You could find another doctor. I know people that got tubal ligations in their 20's.

I can only speak for myself, but the military isn't exactly giving me a list of possible doctors I could swap to, unless I want to pay out of pocket.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I can only speak for myself, but the military isn't exactly giving me a list of possible doctors I could swap to, unless I want to pay out of pocket.

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. I live in Canada.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I asked my doctor if she would take my uterus out... she glared at me and said NO.

Mine said no to...supposedly she knows me better than I do and knows I will "change my mind"

I've been trying to get my tubes tied forever but alas, I'm only 18-20-21-22-23-23-25-26 and with more time I'll change my mind. So now I've got the implant, because 3 years of freedom is the best I can hope for apparently.

I'm on my second implant!!

I had an ablation done 2 years ago. Having your tubes tied is part of that process. If your monthly is bad enough, you can ask your doctor about this as an option.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'll complain bc I didn't get enough sleep, and she'll say "I never get enough sleep, I have kids." B!TCH, you CHOSE to have kids. I have no kids, therefore I am allowed to be miserable when I am exhausted. YOU are allowed to be miserable if you're exhausted, you just can't blame your kids for it because you're the one who brought them into the world in the first place. Another example is I once posted a picture of a really cool manicure I did myself, and she said I wish I had the time to do my nails.

This is why I stopped eating lunch in our break room at work. I got tired of hearing these kinds of responses to everything I would say!

I have a hard time with people who complain about things that are directly related to their kids.

All I can say is you know a box of condoms costs 15 bucks. I just can't.

I REALLY honestly dislike parents who are terrible apathetic parents.

But I also really really really dislike babies- and toddlers. Really- I don't like them. Much the same way I don't like slugs. I find them icky and I don't want to be around them.

We don't all have to love every animal/thing/food equally.
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options

This is why I stopped eating lunch in our break room at work. I got tired of hearing these kinds of responses to everything I would say!

I have a hard time with people who complain about things that are directly related to their kids.

All I can say is you know a box of condoms costs 15 bucks. I just can't.

I REALLY honestly dislike parents who are terrible apathetic parents.

But I also really really really dislike babies- and toddlers. Really- I don't like them. Much the same way I don't like slugs. I find them icky and I don't want to be around them.

We don't all have to love every animal/thing/food equally.

It's funny, you mentioned earlier that people say you would make a great parent, yet you hate kids. I really really don't want kids and can't stand to be around them, yet everyone says I would make an awesome mom! So sorry, but I don't want to have kids!
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options

This is why I stopped eating lunch in our breakroom at work. I got tired of hearing these kinds of responses to everything I would say!

Why dont you tell them this on their face and not here? Maybe you would hear from them some annoying things you have been saying too! All of us are annoying in some way or other :flowerforyou:
  • paultireland
    paultireland Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I am the daughter of a beautiful 6 year old girl, and at no point during her brief life have I ever been tempted to bring her to my job. I also had enough class not to bring her to nice restaurants where people might be dating, or to movie theaters where people spend a lot of money to be able to see and hear the film. The people who do that are the same kind who allow their kids to run around the restaurant or movie theater like animals in blinking light up shoes and you're not supposed to say anything about it.

Not all parents are the same, and I feel your pain.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I wouldn't bring kids to work either, unless it is a dance project that involves children and they are going to be performing in it.
  • Anaticula
    Options
    I like kids and love to babysit other people's kids, but I love even more saying goodbye to them. :) That being said I don't mind kids in the work place if they are well behaved. I work at a University Library where children aren't forbidden, but aren't really welcome. People, both co-workers and students, bring kids in all the time. While I'm not going to run over to see your new baby or meet your 9 year old, I don't mind them being around as long as they don't cry/scream or otherwise disturb everyone else. And yes, I have asked parents to bring their kid home and come back later because their child/teen was causing a disruption. Doesn't happen often, but it does happen.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    Maybe I have a different definition of hate then. To me, hating a person or class of persons means, partly, to wish them ill. It's actively disliking them to that point. I hate pedophiles. I hate people who torture animals. I hate the people who during war times put civilians in camps to rape and kill them. I wish these people didn't exist. Hate is a strong word, it's not just indifference or dislike, and it's more than just not wanting to be around them. That's why I can't fathom hating babies. Or hating a race of persons. Or hating homosexuals.

Would it make you feel better if they said that they "extremely dislike" children?

There's lots of things that I say I hate:
    Beets, winter, cold, stupid people, fried spinach, slow drivers, little yippy dogs, commercials . . . doesn't mean I wish any of those things "ill will" it's just an expression.

I'm pretty sure you've used that term before.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Geez.. I actually had to come into work sometimes during my maternity leave for important meeting and would leave my baby with my assistant for an hour... and sometimes they come into have lunch with me and say hi to everyone.

Most people seem really happy to see a cute baby for a few minutes.
  • ajmaupin
    Options
    In my office, people are allowed to bring their kids and set up playpens and the like in their office/cubicle space for like 6 months after birth and several people take advantage of it.... I don't get it.

I come to work to socialize with other adults and get away from my kids for 9 hrs a day, 5 days a week. I do not want to be around your crying baby. After having my kids, I was dying to get back to work. Apparently, others do not feel like I do.

Also, kids are gross, they throw up everywhere, bring in all kinds of germs and they are just a distraction. Once i left my office for a drink of water and a group was racing their newly crawling babies.
  • metaphoria
    metaphoria Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    Children aren't vermin, they are people. Do other people enter your workplace, like friends or relatives of co-workers? Are you this venomous about their presence or are you just bigoted against children? I am actively teaching my children to respect peoples boundaries, speak politely and try to be friendly to people. It's a shame those values arent more widespread on these forums.

There is a bit of a difference between a screaming child and a grown adult who understands how to behave in an office workplace. Either way, visitors aren't allowed in our office. So friends, family and children are all unwelcome inside my office. My work expects is to work while here. Not visit with or babysit children.

Children do other things than scream. What about the adults who talk loudly on the phone?

And obviously visitirs are allowed as per the OP's work policy. I wouldn't want to bring children into a work setting unless there was a specific reason. However, insulting children is a rather low blow whether they are allowed there or not.
  • KatrinaWilke
    Options

Why dont you tell them this on their face and not here? Maybe you would hear from them some annoying things you have been saying too! All of us are annoying in some way or other :flowerforyou:

I don't say annoying things to them because I don't talk to them. Well not anymore at least. But it wasn't just that what they were saying was annoying. They were just downright rude. For example, I would say "I am really tired I need some coffee" and they would say "You don't know what tired means until you have kids" or I would say "I need to clean my house" and they would say "We can tell you don't have kids, wait until you have kids, you can never clean your house" or I would say "I am going to go to the gym during lunch" and they would say "Wait until you have kids, you won't be so in shape"

You get the picture.....it's not that they are being annoying, just being down right rude!!!
  • JeniferEverx3
    JeniferEverx3 Posts: 219 Member
    Options

I don't say annoying things to them because I don't talk to them. Well not anymore at least. But it wasn't just that what they were saying was annoying. They were just downright rude. For example, I would say "I am really tired I need some coffee" and they would say "You don't know what tired means until you have kids" or I would say "I need to clean my house" and they would say "We can tell you don't have kids, wait until you have kids, you can never clean your house" or I would say "I am going to go to the gym during lunch" and they would say "Wait until you have kids, you won't be so in shape"

You get the picture.....it's not that they are being annoying, just being down right rude!!!

EXACTLY!!!!!

It is bizarre to me that the same type of parents who treat people who don't have kids as if they have no right to be stressed, tired, miserable, frustrated, angry, sad, etc. just because they don't have kids are the same parents that constantly complain about how difficult their lives are because they have kids. Nobody told you to spread your legs, have sex, get pregnant, or keep the child. You made that decision now you can live with it, and you have no right to tell anyone else how they are allowed to feel. I have a sex life, I am on the pill. Should the pill ever fail me and I get pregnant, I would never dream of getting an abortion. I also would not give my child up. From that point on I would devote myself to being a good parent to my child, which would include teaching them right and wrong, how to behave, and raising them to best of my ability to be pleasant human beings. I might still complain about things like lack of sleep, messy house, no money, etc. but that's ok because at the same time I wouldn't be preaching to everyone and their mother about how they should all have kids because kids are made of unicorn poop and glitter.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    but that's ok because at the same time I wouldn't be preaching to everyone and their mother about how they should all have kids because kids are made of unicorn poop and glitter.
    I think it's an evolutionary necessity for the protection of the species. Parents have to tell themselves that having kids is so effing wonderful because if they looked at it objectively they'd probably want to blow their own brains out.
    http://healthland.time.com/2011/03/04/why-having-kids-is-foolish/
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Children do other things than scream. What about the adults who talk loudly on the phone?

Hate them too. And those mother-effers who talk on the phone in public restrooms! I make rude sounds and flush the toilet repeatedly when that happens. No conversation is so important that it won't keep while you answer the call of nature.

I guess most people have been conditioned to have a strong reaction when someone says they hate something. That's not my problem.

I think their particular idiolect may just have a different working definition of hate. (Just in case, see below.)

id·i·o·lect noun \ˈi-dē-ə-ˌlekt\
    : the language or speech pattern of one individual at a particular period of life