Why do people complain the healthy food tastes bland?

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    seriously, all of you people who are only cooking with salt (even if it's himalayan blessed by the pink buddha of sodium) have you really never heard of parsley, curry, cumin, harissa, star anise, cinnamon, cilantro, tumeric, saffron, peppercorns, chives, dill, fennel, sage, thyme, rosemary, cardamom, lemongrass, ginger, etc?

:brokenheart:
    :drinker: and don't forget my friends garlic, onion, cayenne....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Sodium goals are in my opinion almost impossible to achieve, period.

It's very easy to stay below the limit if you cook whole foods. And very hard if you eat primarily packaged foods.
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I've never found that 'healthy' (reading as 'entirely home-made, high in nutrients and moderate in calories' as I'm not really sure what it's supposed to mean) food is tasteless or bland.
    In fact, I tend to crave the 'healthy' food more often - it's very rare that I eat fast food, with the exception of 'skinny' Starbucks drinks, because it's never been tasty enough to bother. Plus, since home-cooked stuff tends to be lower calorie, I can eat more of it :drinker: which I'd much rather do than have a mediocre burger & chips and end up hungry later + possibly low on micronutrients.
    I prefer to save going out for meals with the family - then it's more about the dining experience, plus they tend to pick excellent restaurants. #foodsnob, maybe.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Mweh, I have heard it so often: "Isn't it boring to have a salad everyday?" I just asked the same question back to them: "Isn't it boring to have a few cookies with your coffee every day?"

Some people just think they can't live without the sugary stuff, without even trying, thinking healthy is boring. But I enjoy my meals every single day, without sugar, without chemicals and without tons of sodium :smile:

Exactly, sodium is not the answer IMHO. Not good for you. Try using fresh herbs instead.... Maybe some Ms Dash if you do not want to do fresh herbs...

I do not completely agree with you! We need sodium, just not that much!

I know that we need sodium! Just that I'm looking from it as the food eaten throughout the day may already contain the daily recommendation and added salt isn't really needed. A little is fine. But my argument is "needing more salt" or "not enough salt" isn't the answer if a person is gauging taste as being good as needing salt. Guess I should have been clearer.

I'm sorry but salt makes food taste good. I have often been told I am a great cook and really my only secret is I know how to season food. It's really the only difference between food someone else has already made and how I take it back to the kitchen and "fix" it. All I do is add more salt usually.

I use to be an salt addict as well. I was never a real sweet tooth, but I learned to take way less and one can always choose for Himalayan salt. It tastes saltier then normal table salt, but got almost have the amount of sodium.
    Half the sodium compared to what exactly? Table salt? Who cooks with table salt? It's called TABLE salt for a reason. Diamond Crystal Kosher salt has half the sodium of Himalayan pink salt. I use both, as well as sea salt.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    seriously, all of you people who are only cooking with salt (even if it's himalayan blessed by the pink buddha of sodium) have you really never heard of parsley, curry, cumin, harissa, star anise, cinnamon, cilantro, tumeric, saffron, peppercorns, chives, dill, fennel, sage, thyme, rosemary, cardamom, lemongrass, ginger, etc?

Those are herbs and spices. Salt and pepper are the base seasonings. You don't need all the herbs and spices, but you absolutely need salt and pepper when cooking. Whatever herbs you use when cooking, and whatever spices you use, salt is a necessity. In fact, it's so important that cooking schools devote entire courses just on properly seasoning food with salt.

QFT
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options

Is it people's perception of what healthy food is?

Is it just that some people don't like food if it is not loaded with fat AND salt AND

^^^THiS^^^ IMHO
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It intrigues me.

I think that since I have begun to be more conscious of what I eat I actually enjoy my food more.

A meal can be low in calories AND delicious AND fulling.

And when I do have a treat I make sure it is something I am really going to enjoy.

Is it just some excuse that people use to not become more healthy?

Is it people's perception of what healthy food is?

Is it just that some people don't like food if it is not loaded with fat AND salt AND sugar?

What do you people think?

Do you find eating healthy is bland?

I think it is people's perception of what healthy food is ie lettuce.

Lettuce is bland. But you don't just have to eat lettuce to eat healthily.

I eat what I consider to be a reasonably healthy diet and I can guarantee you that it is absolutely yummy - but I can and do cook.

Funnily if I have a treat now (like a chocolate) it tastes so much better now than it used to when I used to eat more of them.
  • mjkpe
    mjkpe Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I think it's because we have gotten so used to processed foods. I'm still struggling with that. My theroy is that there are NOT 4 basic food groups but only 3.:noway: Sugar, salt and fat:huh: . Get rid of any 2 and you don't want to eat it!. I used to love canned mushrooms and black olives until I finally realized it was the sodium I was addicted to.:smokin:
  • shaneamckinney
    shaneamckinney Posts: 22 Member
    Options

It's very easy to stay below the limit if you cook whole foods. And very hard if you eat primarily packaged foods.

I'll give you an example as to why I disagree. I consume cottage cheese before bed, which is largely noted as a "healthy" food (I'm sure some people will disagree), I do this as it's a slower processing protein, refer to catabolic/anabolic states for a better understanding. 1 serving is 4oz, 120 calories and 400 mg of sodium. That's just one example.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I think it's because we have gotten so used to processed foods. I'm still struggling with that. My theroy is that there are NOT 4 basic food groups but only 3.:noway: Sugar, salt and fat:huh: . Get rid of any 2 and you don't want to eat it!. I used to love canned mushrooms and black olives until I finally realized it was the sodium I was addicted to.:smokin:

Sorry...you do understand that your body needs sodium (not saying salt necessarily), fats and sugar?
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Honestly, food that is lower in sugar and Salt don't have the same flavor.
    Water vrs Pop
    Ice Cream vrs Yogurt
    Pizza, Burgers, and Fries vrs a Salad, Apple Slices and Chicken Breast

Guess what I picked before I started MFP... Course guess what I still eat less of from time to time.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

It's easier if you cook your own food, and season on the plate. Cooking with salt seems to dilute it's flavor potential, but the body doesn't know that. Add salt at the table, not the stove and you get all the flavor and none of negative side effects.

negative side effects?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'll give you an example as to why I disagree. I consume cottage cheese before bed, which is largely noted as a "healthy" food (I'm sure some people will disagree), I do this as it's a slower processing protein, refer to catabolic/anabolic states for a better understanding. 1 serving is 4oz, 120 calories and 400 mg of sodium. That's just one example.
    While I personally think cottage cheese is "of the devil" (I eat pretty healthy, it's just disgusting, imho), I don't see why one 400 mg snack is a deal breaker.
    I don't have a problem staying under the recommended daily sodium, if I eat a primarily whole foods diet.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can someone let me know too what are the magical properties of Himalayan Salt.....I've seen in the shop it's hideously expensive ..But IT'S PINK.....does that mean it's magical????

It just contains different minerals apart from sodium chloride, and I guess some of those minerals make it pink.

I think her question revolved more around why it's supposedly so much better than salt.

Sort of the way I'm trying to figure how oats cut with steel implements are magically better than oats cut with....cut with.....what the hell are regular oats cut with, if not with steel?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Can someone let me know too what are the magical properties of Himalayan Salt.....I've seen in the shop it's hideously expensive ..But IT'S PINK.....does that mean it's magical????

It just contains different minerals apart from sodium chloride, and I guess some of those minerals make it pink.

I think her question revolved more around why it's supposedly so much better than salt.

Sort of the way in trying to figure how oats cut with steel implements are magically better than oats cut with....cut with.....what the hell are regular oats cut with, if not with steel?

Stone?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Sort of the way in trying to figure how oats cut with steel implements are magically better than oats cut with....cut with.....what the hell are regular oats cut with, if not with steel?

Stone?
    No. All oats are cut with steel. "Steel cut oats" are just that, they take the whole oat and cut it. "Regular" oats are "rolled oats," which means after cutting, they are "rolled" aka flattened, essentially with giant rolling pins.

It's why I laugh, steel cut oats are less processed, yet more expensive. No real difference nutritionally.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Stone?
    No. All oats are cut with steel. "Steel cut oats" are just that, they take the whole oat and cut it. "Regular" oats are "rolled oats," which means after cutting, they are "rolled" aka flattened, essentially with giant rolling pins.

It's why I laugh, steel cut oats are less processed, yet more expensive. No real difference nutritionally.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Those are herbs and spices. Salt and pepper are the base seasonings. You don't need all the herbs and spices, but you absolutely need salt and pepper when cooking. Whatever herbs you use when cooking, and whatever spices you use, salt is a necessity. In fact, it's so important that cooking schools devote entire courses just on properly seasoning food with salt.

and more than half the *kitten* coming out of cooking school is BLAND
  • PikaKnight
    Options

and more than half the *kitten* coming out of cooking school is BLAND

Must not be a good cooking school you are going to.
  • shaneamckinney
    shaneamckinney Posts: 22 Member
    Options

While I personally think cottage cheese is "of the devil" (I eat pretty healthy, it's just disgusting, imho), I don't see why one 400 mg snack is a deal breaker.
    I don't have a problem staying under the recommended daily sodium, if I eat a primarily whole foods diet.

LOL - I've heard that many people find it disgusting. Alternatively there is Casein
    Think about calories to sodium proportionally, keep in mind this is one example.
    My point is it's difficult, "almost" impossible. It's not very easy for me :/