"Don't lose any more weight!"

Options

Replies

• Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    my mom and aunt got on me just yesterday about how im looking sickly, my bones are popping out, and that people are going to think i have an eating disorder (which i do not). i simply explained to them that if anyone else my size was walking down the street, they would think that person looked healthy, but because they are used to seeing me 100 pounds heavier, they see me as an unhealthy size now. i brought it up to my husband this evening, told him that my mom and aunt think i should gain about 10 pounds, which i WILL NOT DO... and asked him his opinion (thinking he would side with me), and he said, well babe, i think your fine now, but if you lose anymore, my friends ae going to think i have a wife with some major illness... REALLY??? IM 147 POUNDS!!! I AM 5 FOOT 9, AND AT 147 POUNDS, I CAN STILL LOSE ANOTHER 10 POUNDS AND STILL BE CONSIDERED HAT A HEALTHY WEIGHT!
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    People say this to me all the time and I can honestly say it has never been out of concern. I've decided on a few reasons why....

1. This is their way of complementing you. They are actually really impressed with your weight loss and want you to know that you look fantastic just the way you are.

2. You're a lot smaller/skinner than you think. At 5'7 and 155 pounds, I still could lose a few pounds. However, when I looked at a photo of myself the other day I was so tall and skinny, it startled me. So I could understand why telling someone I want to lose an additional 10 pounds would be like..."whyyyyy?"

3. It's their way of acknowledging your weight loss. Believe it or not, talking about weight is very awkward for people. They want to give you praise for it, but sometimes just don't know how.

4. I usually get this compliment when I tell people how much I lost. Which makes me believe they don't understand how much 1 pound of fat looks like. When I say 101 pounds, some people could imagine a 101 pound child. That's a lot of weight and I understand when people say "you don't need to lose anymore." It's hard to comprehend. lol

I think you're reading too much into it. I usually smile and appreciate the fact that someone notices my hard work.

Agree!
  • debraran1
    debraran1 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I found at work, a lot of people (not usually thin themselves) started telling me this when I hit 150's...still over my BMI but they felt they could tell me to "stop now" but never told me to stop eating when I was gaining the weight. lol
    I would just smile and say, "I'm close" but to some I said, "My doctor and I decided on a healthy weight for my history and body frame (breast cancer 2 close relatives) and that usually makes it stop. They aren't going to argue with my doctor's advice. I worked with someone years ago who was anorexic and that was sad, but she wouldn't listen to anyone and the comments only made it worse. She got help through intervention later and I hope she is doing well.

To be fair, I was always much thinner until I started working with this office so they aren't used to me thinner but still, to hear them commenting and I'm far from "too thin" was a little surprising. I did smile when I heard an Xtray tech who I have lunch with many times, comment to someone, "Oh , she eats, a lot, you should see her salads and sandwich, she had fruit salad and cookies the other day, mostly healthy but she eats."

I think there is just a lot of emotional baggage with weight loss, people almost seem happy when others put it back on...see it doesn't work, so I don't have too. I try to never comment on weight unless it's a compliment.
  • denisemroth
    denisemroth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've encountered this over the past month with my weight loss and I find it very disrespectful. Nobody ever said "hey, you're getting too fat, you need to stop gaining weight". I'm just within the top range of having a "normal" BMI and very fit and healthy. It's rather hurtful too!
  • piyubole
    piyubole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are several threads on this. You know, I am at the point where I just don't respond to that comment. And I never comment on someone's weight. If I notice someone's last weight, I just say "You are looking great, you look better ever time I see you". I truely believe every one is taking care of themselves at any one point in time the best they can with what they have and if they want to change , it's their decision and if they don't want to change, it's their decision....not mine!

I love this response - so true!!
  • denisemroth
    denisemroth Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've encountered this over the past month with my weight loss and I find it very disrespectful. Nobody ever said "hey, you're getting too fat, you need to stop gaining weight". I'm just within the top range of having a "normal" BMI and very fit and healthy. It's rather hurtful too!
  • KatiesRunnersHigh
    Options
    I was talking about this with a co-worker the other day. It truly is ridiculous because the people who say this are comfortable with you the weight you are and when you lose 20 or 30 or more, it makes them feel uncomfortable with themselves. Most of them don't even know why and they rationalize it by saying "you're getting too skinny" or "you will look sick". AH news flash, if the person thinks Angelina Jolie is hot as a waif, then we can be a waif too and they just have to deal with it! Just because we were once big doesn't mean we are no longer allowed to be skinny.
    My friend the other day was talking about a co-worker who lost A LOT of weight and she said "she's starting to get way too thin", but it wasn't true at all. And I realized it's just basic psychology. If people are used to you being bigger, they don't easily accept you being thin. It's their issue and not yours.
  • KatiesRunnersHigh
    Options
    SO TRUE. Opposite of what you say, Tons of celebs are 5'9 and weigh 115 and if they gained 10 pounds, people would talk. I've had this issue before too and it really gets to a point where you have to tell people to mind their own business. Until you start refusing to eat, they need to keep their judgements to themselves or stop judging.
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It shocks me that people go through this. I got up to 200lbs as a young adult, lost 35 to 165lbs and no one ever said I looked too thin. I have one friend who think my current weight is perfect. I think they need to do some soul searching. The friends is very skinny. I do think the people around us fear change in someone. A new body to them is a new person. It blew my mind a week ago when my partner said a lady he works with thought it was crazy for me to lose weight. I am at 209lbs, 30lbs from being overweight. The lady was a PE teacher. Yeah, speaks volumes.
    I am not going to let anyone around me derail my goals, as long as my goals are healthy. I am so happy to see many people here doing the same things.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I was told "don't' you become anorexic!" As if that's something you just choose to become??

Really.. i'm not all that skinny.. I'm just a lot smaller then I ever was..
  • FrancineM62
    FrancineM62 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yes! It really makes me self-conscious. I recently went to a luncheon with people I haven't seen in awhile. I was so afraid of comments I would get, I actually changed clothes at the last minute. I wore an outfit that I thought didn't make me look thin. I have NEVER done that before. I really feel put on the spot in social situations. Typical scenario is someone says loudly "Wow, you've lost weight!" or "How much have you lost?" People stop talking and heads turn to me to await my response. I just want to run. Mind you, I am a completely normal weight, 5-2.5 and 117-119, far from underweight. I lost around 15 pounds. I'm hoping that after awhile people will just get used to me this way and stop commenting.
  • fashionosack
    Options
    To maintain a normal meal every day on it, and then the right amount of exercise to stay in shape should be no problem, not late night the night.
  • jan3h
    jan3h Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time. My theory is that overweight/obesity is the new 'norm' so most people have forgotten what 'healthy' looks like. Mind you, the last person to make this comment to me is my height but weighs a good 15kg less than me. Once I pointed that out to her, she said no more about it. People are always making judgments about others. Most of them are wrong.
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Wow, so this is a common thing then. Makes me feel better, or at least, less alone! I get this every time I see my family and friends here. Or silly remarks like "You'll blow over with the wind", etc. I just laugh it off as I really don't think they mean harm by it.

I am nowhere near underweight. My collar bones protrude a little but that's just the way I'm built. It's not intentional. Plenty of body fat left to lose. But at the end of the day, I shouldn't need to defend or explain my weight-loss, my appearance, or my fitness goals to anyone….so screw 'em!

ON the bright side: we're moving to another country soon where no one knows what I looked like before….new friends and no more unnecessary remarks about my weight! Yay!
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    People used to comment on my weight all the time when I was naturally skinny in my youth. It bugged me, and I found it even more irritating that the comments ceased when I put on too much weight. In fact when I expressed concern about my own weight I was told I was not too heavy. I was too heavy. I was unfit, developed asthma, an increased heart rate, and looked terrible.

As I started to lose weight again, I got all the comments again. This time, though, it doesn't bother me. I take them as reassurance that I am the weight that is good for me, and apparently looks so alarming to everyone but me.

Oddly for a period when I was definitely underweight, again the comments stopped. Seems it's taboo to remark if there's a real problem, but safe to say something when we're out of the danger zone.
  • QueenofScott
    QueenofScott Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old and get this all the time from my Mom all the time now. I also ran into an old friend whom I haven't seen in years at the mall on Black Friday. She asked if I was ill....then she asked if I was anorexic. I think it's pretty funny, cause I'm no where near that thin! It doesn't bother me in the least. Now, a weight comment before I lost weight would have devastated me.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think the best response is "I think I'm about right or soon will be, but you're definitely fat and out of shape." That should shut them up.

It's also fair game. I figure anyone calling me skinny shouldn't mind me calling them fat.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I'm not saying you should feel good about the response you're getting. Personally, I detest "you can't possibly have that much to lose"... However, you may want to experiment with your own wording to provide a better setup for the other person. Here's the awkwardness:

When someone lets you into their house for dinner, you often hear, "Please excuse the mess, I need to clean." --we usually don't cheerfully agree, right? We say it looks great, and you don't need to do a thing.

There's kind of the same dynamic to a "but I still need to lose" statement.

Especially if you have lost a LOT of weight, and are now saying you still need to lose a little more, it can be honestly hard for others to see that little bit. Maybe instead of saying you still want to lose X more lbs/kg, maybe just say you're fine-tuning things now, or focusing on nutrition/running pace/some-other-specific-thing so the respondent can say something encouraging about that?

People can be jerks, but there's also a lot of misunderstanding and social convention driving responses.
  • rummyqueen
    rummyqueen Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Well sorry to say but some people do lose more weight and then omg they look like skin and bones ,This one woman up my street I thought she was dieing and went to her and said are you ok,she said yes why ,Told her you are so thin that I can see your bones,she said she looks great,I said really you look like you are dieing.when people get to thin then its time to stop losing.It depends or the person,one year I thought I look great,My mother said omg gain some weight,I said why I am a size 3 ,went to the doctors and he said omg ar you ok we ned to put you in the hosp,So when you hear people say gain weight or stop losing.then maybe you are getting to thin but you don't think you are.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    I got this for the first time today, and I consider it a big NSV. Don't let comments from others get to you too much. Do what you know is best for you and your health.