Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    No......it's not really needed as many girls will "give it up", with not much effort....

Bingo. "Girls" like that type of treatment. " women" like to be respected and treated like ladies.

It's also a shame a guy would see chivalry as just something to get a woman into bed.
    Ever wonder why guys are more chivalrous towards the more attractive females....................
    th?id=H.4772779342891398&pid=15.1
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    The difference between "girls" and "ladies". and "boys" and "men"!
  • FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    No......it's not really needed as many girls will "give it up", with not much effort....

Bingo. "Girls" like that type of treatment. " women" like to be respected and treated like ladies.

It's also a shame a guy would see chivalry as just something to get a woman into bed.
    Ever wonder why guys are more chivalrous towards the more attractive females....................

Ha. Chivalry - the male equivalent of animal rights activists only fighting for the "cute" animals.
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    I love when a thread about being nice turns into a bash fest.....you guys are awesome!

And I especially love when people believe social media is reality.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Um, no.
    You're suggesting that elderly people are more attractive?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    I love when a thread about being nice turns into a bash fest.....you guys are awesome!

YOU MEAN IT'S NOT REAL?!?!?!
    I have been living a lie!!!!
  • DamePiglet
    Options

Ha. Chivalry - the male equivalent of animal rights activists only fighting for the "cute" animals.

I love this! Only domestic animals have souls!!!
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I don't believe its dead, my hubby still opens the door for me and always unlocks my door for the car first.. :}

Dont worry. Technology will eventually do away with this.
  • Number_44
    Number_44 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

Because you are a fake person and do not exist?

Thanks for letting us all know your post isnt real. *hands you a candy cane*
  • crispsandwich
    crispsandwich Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.
    I like you.

me tooo!!
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Any man who doesn't behave in a "chivalrous" fashion or does only to get a woman into bed isn't worth spit IMO.

When out socially I will always open doors, offer to carry packages, offer my seat, rise when a woman enters the room and gets up or joins my table. In my home my wife and any other women are always served first and no one eats until my wife picks up her fork.

While I do not do all of these things while at work, especially in meetings, as it could be seen as sexist; I do them all outside of it for every woman.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Since a lot of people mentioned chivalry as being feudal, it's worth pointing out that "chivalry" was originally nothing more than a code of conduct of fighting men towards other fighting men. Women, children and the elderly were not part of the equation in any way.

During the Middle Ages, the Church pushed the idea that it was more honourable for noblemen to protect rather than exploit non-combatants, the whole "defender of the widow and the orphan" thing.

The idea extended itself to the behaviour of noblemen towards (noble) women (as noncombatants), but its primary goal was to discourage pillaging and the killing of civilians.

Since this was the first time (as far as I know) that these ideas appeared in Europe, you can argue that it is the great-great-great-grandfather of the Geneva Convention. You could say that chivalry will never be dead as long as that exists.
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I don't believe its dead, my hubby still opens the door for me and always unlocks my door for the car first.. :}

My husband does the same!!! When it is pouring rain and we run to the car I have to tell him to go ahead and get in his side or he would stand there and get soaked to let me in first.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Any man who doesn't behave in a "chivalrous" fashion or does only to get a woman into bed isn't worth spit IMO.

When out socially I will always open doors, offer to carry packages, offer my seat, rise when a woman enters the room and gets up or joins my table. In my home my wife and any other women are always served first and no one eats until my wife picks up her fork.

While I do not do all of these things while at work, especially in meetings, as it could be seen as sexist; I do them all outside of it for every woman.

Well said, and this is the key to the whole thing. People are confusing manners and mating signals with the right to vote and earn equal pay for equal work. Being civilly and professionally equal does not necessitate being socially genderless.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that my fiance will open doors for me when other people are looking, but not when no one is around.

I tease him about it all the time.

But he does take out the garbage and fix things and lift heavy things and get stuff off high shelves, so it's still around in different ways.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    I think it's funny that my fiance will open doors for me when other people are looking, but not when no one is around.

That alone speaks volumes about your relationship.
  • _funrungirl
    _funrungirl Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think chivalry and and equality can co-exist. Equality is about legal and work-rights, chivalry is about being a courteous human being,
  • DamePiglet
    Options

That they have a running joke?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That means so much coming from you, of all people. :flowerforyou:
  • Ozzyopolis
    Options
    This post is great. It outs all the dudebros to make them easier to avoid. ;)