Is chivalry really dead? :(

Options

Replies

• FatHuMan1
    FatHuMan1 Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    In societies where chivalry is not practiced, women are treated as property, as lesser, because it is animal nature (and humans are animals, after all) for the strong to prey on the weak. Women are abused, held back, put down. It's so bad in some areas to this day, that a women's genitalia is mutilated to prevent her from enjoying sex and potentially cheating on her husband, who owns her and her body in that way. It is this way because men are physically stronger and have more clout in that society.

This is very emotive, like much of the strange "pro-chivarly" stuff in this thread. We're using the term "chivalrous" to mean "kind" or "gallant" or "compassionate" or "considerate" or any other number of things. With chivalry we protect our honor with duels. Seriously, duels?

Who here is pro-duel??

"Oh, well that's not what I mean when I talk about chivalry, I'm actually talking about gallantry but I'm calling it chivalry!"

If we're to pick words and give them our own definitions and defend to the death the definitions, then it's a silly discussion, isn't it?

I am pro-duel.

tothepain_zps2d692ba7.jpg
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I guess I fail to see the conflict between chivalry and equality.

Chivalry is a way of treating people...

Equality is allowing people an equal opportunity for achievement.

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

But that's just my opinion.

^^ This!!! ^^
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Why do only women get to get put on a pedestal?
    Good question, maybe because I'm a guy and not about to put another man on a pedestal. In actuality "pedestal" is probably the wrong word as it implies they're infallible or better. Neither of which is true. A better word might be acknowledgement, and yes it is acknowledgement in a gender specific role. You may not see the point in it. I enjoy the differences between men and women, I enjoy acknowledging women in a respectful way and I like to help those around me. Those are some of my reason for doing what I do.

And why do only women deserve your protection?
    It certainly isn't only women that I would help or deserve it but we are talking specifically about women. I would do the same for anyone I thought needed help or protecting.

I guess Chivalry is something that not all men were raised with and they just can't get it, no matter how hard you try to explain. My heart is warmed by how many of the men in this thread *do* get it, though. I can tell by reading your posts that you are one of the men that gets it. Many thanks to you, keep being awesome :)
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options

Men who hold back chivalry in the name of equality do so out of holding a grudge, or because they don't like showing respect to women in the first place.

Totally agree.

And to answer the question, no, I don't think chivalry is dead. I'm a feminist, but I can appreciate it when a man or anyone really, opens a door for me and pulls out a chair. It's really about respect and manner.

I've noticed more chivalry when I'm dressed up, though...
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Good question, maybe because I'm a guy and not about to put another man on a pedestal. In actuality "pedestal" is probably the wrong word as it implies they're infallible or better. Neither of which is true. A better word might be acknowledgement, and yes it is acknowledgement in a gender specific role. You may not see the point in it. I enjoy the differences between men and women, I enjoy acknowledging women in a respectful way and I like to help those around me. Those are some of my reason for doing what I do.

It certainly isn't only women that I would help or deserve it but we are talking specifically about women. I would do the same for anyone I thought needed help or protecting.

The whole point I was addressing/attacking (whether or not you choose to call it that) are the gender specific aspects of what people refer to as chivalry. In your eyes, does it say something negative about someone if the way they act toward strangers is in no way gender specific, even if it is overall common courtesy? Does it say he lacks "chivalry" because he doesn't go that extra mile beyond his already good social behavior just for women? THAT is my problem with "chivalry." The prospect that women are somehow more deserving than fellow men. Why can't we all just treat each other equally? That's how I see it, anyway. There is nothing I would do for a woman I did not personally know that I would not also do for a man I do not personally know. What does that say about me, based on your theories?
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options

^^ This!!! ^^

Equality dictates that like with men, women must earn their respect, until then they just get my kindness and politeness. Once again respect =/= chivalry
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options

THIS.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    probably to those that are bitter and cynical, yes.

But as I see it, no. I see acts of chivalry everyday.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options

I like you.

I like you too.
  • destructor2013
    Options
    It's not, it's just that a lot of women (not all) perceive men who practice chivalry to be weak or "putting them on a pedestal" which is not an entirely accurate portrayal of the practice of chivalry. Thus that leads to men being less chivalrous as time goes on and they have kids who are less chivalrous and so on.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    It's not, however, the appreciation of chivalry is dying a horrible death.

So much this

and this. sadly.
  • Bagelsan
    Options
    I'd be fine if chivalry were dead; I prefer being treated like a competent, equal human being worthy of respect rather than having men see my gender first and treating me politely based only on that.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

I guess Chivalry is something that not all men were raised with and they just can't get it, no matter how hard you try to explain. My heart is warmed by how many of the men in this thread *do* get it, though. I can tell by reading your posts that you are one of the men that gets it. Many thanks to you, keep being awesome :)

I was raised with it. I just questioned it, is all. The person I am has very little to do with how my parents *tried* to raise me and it bothers me that people talk about it's how you were "raised." It has simply always been my nature to question the logic behind things, even the things my parents tried to teach me, and even as a child. And if I could not see logic behind it, I didn't go along with it. Regardless of traditions, regardless of societal standards, it has always been my nature to seek logic in things before I adhere to them. And that included what my parents tried to teach me. What I'm curious about is why there aren't others who question these things as well.

For the record, I am this way with all traditions. If I see no logic behind it, no justification that goes beyond "well, it's just what people do" then I don't do it. No logic, no understanding.
  • FatHuMan1
    Options

For the record I was raised with it. But I see it for what it is: an anachronistic concept steeped in bias and gender inequalities. I have foregone chivalry and chosen common decency instead.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'd be fine if chivalry were dead; I prefer being treated like a competent, equal human being worthy of respect rather than having men see my gender first and treating me politely based only on that.

This.

If you're asking me if I need help with my bag because you see me struggling, great. If you ask the man next to me the same thing, even better. If you ignore the man struggling and ask me even though I'm obviously not struggling, you're sexist. Even if your intentions are good. Gender shouldn't matter for these things, and as such, chivalry should be dead.

Chivalry has its roots in an extremely paternalistic society and really should be out-dated by now.

What shouldn't be outdated? Treating people well regardless of gender. The golden rule and all that.
  • Toblave
    Toblave Posts: 244 Member
    Options

I can almost guarantee that I would treat you politely regardless of your gender and if I were to open your door, offer my seat or to carry something for you it is certainly not because I think you are incompetent. I'd do it because I respect you as a woman and it's one way for me to show it.
  • BobOki
    BobOki Posts: 245 Member
    Options

This.

If you're asking me if I need help with my bag because you see me struggling, great. If you ask the man next to me the same thing, even better. If you ignore the man struggling and ask me even though I'm obviously not struggling, you're sexist. Even if your intentions are good. Gender shouldn't matter for these things, and as such, chivalry should be dead.

Chivalry has its roots in an extremely paternalistic society and really should be out-dated by now.

What shouldn't be outdated? Treating people well regardless of gender. The golden rule and all that.

I am noticing a trend, those of us who say chivalry should be dead and is sexist seem to be saying all people should be treated like this, regardless of sex. Those for it seem to me calling us bad men. I cannot say I am impressed.
  • FatHuMan1
    Options

I can almost guarantee that I would treat you politely regardless of your gender and if I were to open your door, offer my seat or to carry something for you it is certainly not because I think you are incompetent. I'd do it because I respect you as a woman and it's one way for me to show it.

I could be wrong, but I think she wants you to respect her as a person,not as a woman.
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Perhaps more people need to realize that "chivalry" is not just about how a man treats a woman. Chivalry is, basically, the entire code of knighthood - strength, honor, valour, courtesy, justice, a willingness to assist the weak, generosity in victory, and piety.

Nothing wrong, really, with any of that. And I think that anybody can be chivalrous... and *anybody* (female or male) can be treated with chivalry.

I hope "chivalry" isn't dead... or dying... or even ill. But sadly, with everything I see each day, I'm afraid it is.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    *Edited because I posted to soon and wrong*

I would love to be respected as a woman., I am a woman, and I'm proud of my womanliness. So I want men to respect that.

Speaking for myself only, :wink: .