Do you expect to count calories the rest of your life?

Options

Replies

• dalguard
    Options
    That's a good question. I'm not sure. I've never had much trouble staying slim but I'm a woman getting older, my job is sedentary, and my BF's lifestyle isn't healthy. So I put on some weight and it took a while to get serious enough to take it off. Now that it's off and I'm used to logging, it seems like a really simple way to maintain. I think once I'm retired (9 1/2 years but who's counting?) I'll be able to exercise enough that I can go back to not counting, but for now this seems like a pretty straightforward solution to keeping my weight in check. I don't even have to feel guilty when I have my sweets because the calories are all logged and accounted for. It's just nice to know where to draw the line.

I don't weigh my food though. Never got that serious.
  • carlalovescake
    Options
    Sadly yes! Tried without counting and gained some back :(
  • RoyBeck
    RoyBeck Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    Absolutely not. If I can't learn about calories and anything else I need to know in these past 6 months then there's something wrong.
  • kdb247
    kdb247 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have two options:
    1. Count calories
    2. Be fat.

I'll count calories. At least 5 days/wk. Basically forever or until I'm too wrinkled to care about being fat.

and ^^ this^^

^Agreed. Lol! This is what it boils down to for me.
    My current alcohol consumption would never allow me to play it by ear. I would gain weight in a heartbeat if I didn't log calories and be mindful.
  • Mitzigan94
    Mitzigan94 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Yes. I also expect to have to eat healthy, weigh myself regularly, see a doctor for check-ups, and work out for the rest of my life...at least if I want to keep living and having a good quality of life.

^^this
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Yes, just like I am now. It's become habit.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    yes,

oh, hold on a minute……………..

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of my life, but at least for a great deal of it. I eat primarily healthy and get a rough idea, but sometimes I can be way off when I don't count the calories!
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I do, not necessarily for the total calories, but for the macros totals. I want to ensure that I get enough protein and control my fat intake for the rest of my life
  • Dlibo1013
    Dlibo1013 Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    yeah don't think I will have much choice :(
  • victorialynnwillis
    Options
    Yes, because I want to keep the weight off! Losing weight is hard enough the first time.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Maintaining weight is even more difficult than losing it. To keep a balanced weight, a person needs to know how many calories are going in, and how many are being burned. It's pretty impossible to "guess" how many calories you've eaten and assume you are going to maintain weight. It's no different than saying you are going to stop working out when you reach a goal weight. Exercise is a must for staying healthy and maintaining weight. Basically, as long as you work out, and know what you're eating, you'll be able to maintain.
    it's why vacations catch people off guard - they eat what they want, don't exercise, and then are shocked to find out they've gained five pounds in a week.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    Probably, but I do have a good idea of how a reasonable days food is going to unfold so I could probably not count calories on most days but count them on days I need to make sure I'm consuming enough calories to fuel workouts or burning enough calories to eat more than is normal or food that is more calorie dense than I typically consume, especially any thing that might include salted caramel which while I no longer fear it, I respect it and the damage it can do to my efforts if I allow myself more than is reasonable.
  • LillyPandme
    Options
    Guys, I am 52 years old and MFP makes this sooo much easier that it was in the old days - using calorie books, etc.- that I will gladly record my meals for the rest of my life if is makes me healthier and more attractive.

I love MFP!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ...no way!
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Yes. When I don't count, I gain weight.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do.
  • muckfoot
    muckfoot Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Guys, I am 52 years old and MFP makes this sooo much easier that it was in the old days - using calorie books, etc.- that I will gladly record my meals for the rest of my life if is makes me healthier and more attractive.

I love MFP!

In a simialr vein I imagine that the future will provide some kind of robot or magical animal that will count calories for us, so I will probably continue to count my own calories until that time.
  • enks07
    enks07 Posts: 74
    Options
    I will probably continue to do so for a while and then stop to see if it works or not. I eat pretty healthy and I work out a lot as well so I'd like to think that I won't gain without tracking my calories. But I don't have a problem with tracking my intake, it's actually fun.

And I'd totally go for that magical animal to track my calories for me, even easier and more fun that way. ;D
  • tomwatso
    tomwatso Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    In word: yes. I have hypothyroidism. I may have to live this lifestyle for sometime to come.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!