Why do people care so much about height ?

Options

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    SkeeLo.jpg
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Robert Downy Jr. is 5'9".

Also.

tumblr_static_robert_lip_bite.gif

I read somewhere that he was 5'7". Either way doesn't matter....it's Downey!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    Why do so many people care about what other people care about?
    THIS. You can't really change your height (unless one is willing to have their shin bones cut and spread apart), so why give a hoot about how others view you?
    It's THEIR problem if they think one is too short, too tall, too thin, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options

I am 5'9". I have NEVER had a problem with my height or weight for that matter. I am thankful for being really, really, really, very good looking and relatively healthy!

BS_zps87a4d9c9.jpg

^^ BLUE STEEL!!! I GOT THIS LOOK!! lol My short but really, really, really very good-looking look!
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Because the women I keep as my hostages have to be able to fold up neatly when they have outlived their usefulness.

Also the crates that they are kept in are pretty small and they need to fit in there too.

Feedback: Not funny. Joking about abuse of women isn't okay when it's so common. Please don't go there.
  • AprilMae1975
    Options
    I am only 5'2 and am happy most of the time. There are times when I wish I were taller so I could reach things without a step ladder. I also wonder what it's like to be in a crowd and see the tops of people's heads!!

I would never think of someone differently because of their height.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    abhishekc2q Joined Apr 2011 Posts: 475December 17, 2013 9:57 am While strolling through MFP forums i noticed people's monomania with height & their proclamation of how lucky they are to be tall and the numero uno thing they see in in prospective date/spouse is height.

I don't understand this fixation over elevation as if being tall is like enthroned with superhuman abilities and being short is akin to being castigated to a life of mediocrity.

Of course height gives an edge in many arenas, especially sports, but one should not deduce that short people are subservient.

Pillorying someone for being plump is intelligible but lambasting someone for being short is pure bigotry because unlike weight your height is not under your control as it has more to do with genetics.

Not to mention Gandhi,Martin luther king,Tom Cruise,Woody Allen,Napoleon Bonaparte,Bono,Robert Downey Jr.,Anthony Hopkins,Dustin hoffman achieved eminence despite being diminutive.

As for short people being physically inferior you should read about Gurkhas of British & Indian army and how these 5'0 lilliputians decimated monstrously tall Germans and Italians in WW2. On many occasion they single handedly turned the tide towards allied forces.So fearsome were they that it is said that axis soldiers wet their fronts and yellowed their backs on merely hearing the word "gurkha" .

I have also read of people as short as 5'1-5'2 completing BUD/SEAL training with flying colors.

So one should get off his condescending view of "tall =superior" .

Reactively abhishek, for a segment within our MFP community, the waist to height ratio is a cause for measure and of concern depending on the subject of interest (+/-).
  • somerisagirlsname
    somerisagirlsname Posts: 467 Member
    Options

Are you kidding. Exposing someone to ridicule because of their weight is stupid. Their life is theirs to live and so long as they don't bother you then exposing another to ridicule is just mean spirited and the sign of a true a hole. As for height, same thing goes. Whether you are very tall, average or short it is no one concern. People list height AND weight in their descriptions because when people want to hook up everyone has their preferences. There is nothing wrong with wanting a taller person or a thinner person, muscular person, fat person, etc as it is your preference who you wish to date, hook up with etc. But to ridicule someone as the definition of pillory suggests because of one's weight is just asinine.

Maybe "pillorying" sounds bit harsh but as i said before i find nothing wrong in criticizing a fat person because that would pressurize him/her to do something about his/her obesity.

False. Doing something about your obesity has to come from within, not the external force of ridicule. When I get ridiculed, I want to eat more and then kill myself, so again I say, false.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Sigh. I have the Napoleon complex. I pick on people bigger than me. :noway:
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Are you kidding. Exposing someone to ridicule because of their weight is stupid. Their life is theirs to live and so long as they don't bother you then exposing another to ridicule is just mean spirited and the sign of a true a hole. As for height, same thing goes. Whether you are very tall, average or short it is no one concern. People list height AND weight in their descriptions because when people want to hook up everyone has their preferences. There is nothing wrong with wanting a taller person or a thinner person, muscular person, fat person, etc as it is your preference who you wish to date, hook up with etc. But to ridicule someone as the definition of pillory suggests because of one's weight is just asinine.

Maybe "pillorying" sounds bit harsh but as i said before i find nothing wrong in criticizing a fat person because that would pressurize him/her to do something about his/her obesity.

False. Doing something about your obesity has to come from within, not the external force of ridicule. When I get ridiculed, I want to eat more and then kill myself, so again I say, false.

It's okay. He will only treat his close, personal relatives that way.

:insertsarcasm:
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It's just the same with weight, and many other traits that are now recognized as "pretty".
    In most cases you're considered pretty if you're tall, thin, with muscles (for men) or curves (for women), and so on.
    It's not about some people's preferences, it's the idea of beauty that has spread throughout our society.
  • Notthatguykh
    Notthatguykh Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A lot of people do just ignore it, you can't change how other people feel about it.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    It's just the same with weight, and many other traits that are now recognized as "pretty".
    In most cases you're considered pretty if you're tall, thin, with muscles (for men) or curves (for women), and so on.
    It's not about some people's preferences, it's the idea of beauty that has spread throughout our society.
    but there are many different subcultures even within a larger society. if we were all homogenous then i would agree with this, but if it were true that people's idea of beauty and attractiveness is solely a societal construct then there would be absolutely no explanation why someone like me (an overweight black woman with natural hair living in america) has no issues with finding men who find us attractive. : men of all shapes sizes creeds and ethnicities.
  • brabbit42069
    brabbit42069 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    6'4 master race checking in.

lmfao at phaggot op. manlets gonna manlet.
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My grandmothers life lesson to us grandkids..

You can never be too tall, too rich, or too skinny.

thank g-ma. :(
  • ArmandoG28
    ArmandoG28 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I HATE TALL PEOPLE !
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    There is a reason chicks don't dig you, and it has nothing to do with your height.

Do you think i wrote this post to find a woman for me ? :bigsmile: :laugh:

I imagine most men would be equally turned off.

Win thread.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    If some people appear a little smug because they are tall or good looking or slim it is because everyone loves a freebie.

To put it another way there is a recognition that having any or all of these traits confers other positive, unconscious associations without having any supporting evidence to come to that conclusion ~ what is known as the Halo Effect. In essence the person gets attributed with other positive traits which they haven't had to work for to any degree. Given most human beings simply do not have the time to gather enough information on everyone they meet to come to reliable conclusions they tend to discriminate using a broad brush approach.

And, when it comes to attraction it is abundantly clear that short men get the sh*tty end of a very sh*tty stick. They have as much right to complain at this state of affairs as the cute but fat girl does about her slimmer peers getting all the play in bars...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Too short; didn't read

i lol'd
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    There is a reason chicks don't dig you, and it has nothing to do with your height.

Do you think i wrote this post to find a woman for me ? :bigsmile: :laugh:

I imagine most men would be equally turned off.

Win thread.

And I am only 5'3! Hot damn!