Why do people care so much about height ?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Thin line between cocky and confident.

Did someone say "cocky"? I :heart: the cocky!
  • punkyjones
    punkyjones Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and my boyfriend is 5'9. I love it. I am not very attracted to taller guys.

I'm also happy to be 5'7" myself. :-)
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    Thin line between cocky and confident.

Did someone say "cocky"? I :heart: the cocky!

Ehehehehe <33 lol
  • abheshek
    abheshek Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    While strolling through MFP forums i noticed people's monomania with height & their proclamation of how lucky they are to be tall and the numero uno thing they see in in prospective date/spouse is height.

I don't understand this fixation over elevation as if being tall is like enthroned with superhuman abilities and being short is akin to being castigated to a life of mediocrity.

Ofcourse height gives an edge in many arenas, especially sports, but one should not deduce that short people are subservient.

Pillorying someone for being plump is intelligible but lambasting someone for being short is pure bigotry because unlike weight your height is not under your control as it has more to do with genetics.

Not to mention Gandhi,Martin luther king,Tom Cruise,Woody Allen,Napoleon Bonaparte,Bono,Robert Downey Jr.,Anthony Hopkins,Dustin hoffman achieved eminence despite being diminutive.

As for short people being physically inferior you should read about Gurkhas of British & Indian army and how these 5'0 lilliputians decimated monstrously tall Germans and Italians in WW2. On many occasion they single handedly turned the tide towards allied forces.So fearsome were they that it is said that axis soldiers wet their fronts and yellowed their backs on merely hearing the word "gurkha" .

I have also read of people as short as 5'1-5'2 completing BUD/SEAL training with flying colors.

So one should get off his condescending view of "tall =superior" .

I don't know any people at all who feel that their height makes them superior... and the men in my large family are usually over 6 feet tall so my network of tall people is vast. Nobody that I know has ever expressed the opinion that short people are inferior and can't do things as well as tall people. In fact, I'm convinced that if I brought it up in conversation, they would look confused. You're clearly upset over a very minute population who feel tall=superior and that really just makes it look like YOU feel inferior because of your height.... or at the very least self-conscious. And this begs the question: Why do you care what a VERY tiny group of ignorant people think? Just do you and forget everybody else. As for women looking for height as the number one quality in a man, I disagree. Vehemently. I've listened to my female friends prattle on about what they want in a man and very few even mention height. Some do, yes. And most of my lady-friends date men who are taller than themselves (me included) but that doesn't mean they would never date somebody shorter. Personally, I am attracted to taller men but that doesn't mean I won't date somebody shorter. I was interested in somebody 2 inches shorter than me for a while but we never got around to dating because I was TOO TALL. My boyfriend is the shortest guy I've ever dated (5'7") and I see a million and one characteristics that attract me to him... but height isn't one of them. If he was tall, I would see a million and two. Just because somebody prefers tall, doesn't mean they REQUIRE tall. I'd like to think most women value character over height anyway.... If somebody feels height is more important than quality of character: Who needs them?
    x2
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    OP I would suggest you stop worrying about your physical height and try being less of a mental midget.

I give shoe dust worth importance to my height.My next goal is to deadlift 500 lbs :bigsmile: :laugh: :tongue:

Then why start a topic that you supposedly hold little importance to?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    do they?
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    do they?
    My life is a lie.
    I'm short.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    OP I would suggest you stop worrying about your physical height and try being less of a mental midget.

I give shoe dust worth importance to my height.My next goal is to deadlift 500 lbs :bigsmile: :laugh: :tongue:

should be easy. you don't have to pick it up quite as high as others.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That is true :laugh:
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options

I'm pretty fond of this advantage myself.
  • DoNotSpamMe73
    DoNotSpamMe73 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I don't see why someone will ask your height randomly. I do get that often someone would like a taller/shorter partner... But in general I don't see it. My partner is taller than me, but I'm not with him for that. Just a weird thing people keep bringing up.
  • graveflower316
    graveflower316 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say tall is superior, but I can definitely say as a tall women (5'11") I do look for taller men in dating realms at least. I typically date men shorter than me because most men aren't 6'0" or taller, but don't date anyone shorter than 5'7" anymore. I guess that makes me bias, but having to bend down to kiss someone can be quite a pain. Although, I don't think the best of the best are tall people. I think that's just a discrimination, just like people claiming men are somehow smarter/better than women, or how a certain ethnicity is better or worse than another. Maybe right now tall people are seen as "better" by some, but it's all an unfounded bias people just like to believe in. What can you do?
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Just as a general response to many posts in here:

Attraction is socially constructed, not natural.

kthxbye

Oh man! Someone forgot to tell all Gay people, boy will their face be red when they find this information out!

Interesting that you specifically pointed out gay people, i.e. "othering" them. I believe I was born with sexual fluidity and was socialized to be hetero. I think if you take a look at international work on culture and sexuality you will find sexuality cannot be separated from social context and that there is quite a variety of gender and sex constructs that are unlike our constructs in the West.

Easiest way to point out a fallacy. It can be separated, in Saudi Arabia being gay is pretty much a death sentence, yet somehow there are men and women who are living it. You would think they would follow that social construct better to avoid being killed instead of following their natural tendencies.
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    It's just the same with weight, and many other traits that are now recognized as "pretty".
    In most cases you're considered pretty if you're tall, thin, with muscles (for men) or curves (for women), and so on.
    It's not about some people's preferences, it's the idea of beauty that has spread throughout our society.
    but there are many different subcultures even within a larger society. if we were all homogenous then i would agree with this, but if it were true that people's idea of beauty and attractiveness is solely a societal construct then there would be absolutely no explanation why someone like me (an overweight black woman with natural hair living in america) has no issues with finding men who find us attractive. : men of all shapes sizes creeds and ethnicities.

Infact I'm pretty sure that height isn't considered attractive everywhere, just like any other trait. I was just referring to the situation described by the OP.
    I don't think that being an overweight woman of color makes you unattractive at all, but being an overweight girl myself I've never found anyone who thought I was pretty, I've been made fun of, and I've been surrounded by stereotypes of skinny people since I was a child, at the point that I can say that you're generally preferred if you're thin. This is obviously a generalization, but it's noticeable enough to be mentioned.
    I wouldn't really know where the whole skinny thing came from, but, for height, I guess it's something ancestral. Maybe tall people were considered healthier and stronger in the past, so that if you had to choose a partner you would choose the tallest? I still think this has no reason to exist now, and I'm glad that we're finally growing up as a society and valorise the beauty within different people, e.g. short or overweight people. But sometimes those habits are hard to get rid of, since no one really know why they prefer such people to other, they just feel it.
  • JenX15
    JenX15 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Robert Downy Jr. is 5'9".

Also.

tumblr_static_robert_lip_bite.gif

Yes, thank you .... salivating here......