naturally thin people

Options

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Of course it's my fault and a matter of willpower. If I eat a breakfast that makes me crave junk all day, it's my fault. The point is, not everyone has this problem. I'm utterly sick of people who don't know what this is like downplaying it as an issue for those of us who do.

Ok enough on this but.... you shouldnt really care that other people have other levels of willpower.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Of course it's my fault and a matter of willpower. If I eat a breakfast that makes me crave junk all day, it's my fault. The point is, not everyone has this problem. I'm utterly sick of people who don't know what this is like downplaying it as an issue for those of us who do.

Ok enough on this but.... you shouldnt really care that other people have other levels of willpower.

It isn't a matter of willpower if nothing ever triggers a desire to seriously overeat to begin with. Which is my whole point.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

It isn't a matter of willpower if nothing ever triggers a desire to seriously overeat to begin with. Which is my whole point.

Everyone has willpower levels and it is not exclusive to food, which highlights that everybody has willpower. If nothing triggers a desire to seriously overeat, it is because of strong willpower. There is no point bemoaning this.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Everyone has willpower levels and it is not exclusive to food, which highlights that everybody has willpower. If nothing triggers a desire to seriously overeat, it is because of strong willpower. There is no point bemoaning this.

Oh good, I have incredible willpower when it comes to lots of things. Like skydiving. Never done it, never will, I keep the desire to do it so controlled I don't even know it's there. Super willpower there.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Nope, at least not without some medical issue that makes it very difficult to gain weight. People who are thin tend not to eat as much and naturally (and healthily) restrict intake. My boyfriend for example, may eat a whole lot in one sitting, but won't eat much else during the rest of the day. He also tends to burn a lot because he is always moving and quite active. Fat isn't magic.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    You know what every so-called 'naturally skinny' person I know has in common?

Keeping busy. They are always occupied with something. It's hard to snack when you are in the workshop building furniture, or tending your garden, or sewing dresses, or spelunking, or horse back riding, or scuba diving, or hunting, or painting or any number of other things. When you're just sat in front of the TV or a computer, it's easy to shovel handfuls of snacks into your mouth mindlessly.

If you want to be 'naturally skinny', get off your backside, and get a hobby besides watching TV and browsing the internet. Even if it's a less active hobby, so long as you are engaged, you won't be simply counting down the time until you can next eat to break the monotony.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    I am naturally thin! What do you not get? 99 pounds, completely, and no movement, broken shoulder and bed bound for months. I can eat 2500 calories or 1500 calories and I still weigh the same.
  • RhiannonBaugh
    RhiannonBaugh Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend. and i hate him for it haha

AGREED!! HAHA
  • Jestinia
    Options
    I am naturally thin! What do you not get? 99 pounds, completely, and no movement, broken shoulder and bed bound for months. I can eat 2500 calories or 1500 calories and I still weigh the same.

I so hate you! :tongue:

Hope you're better and out of bed soon, though, that sounds awful!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Are you trying to gain weight? Can't tell anything from your profile.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Keeping busy. They are always occupied with something. It's hard to snack when you are in the workshop building furniture, or tending your garden, or sewing dresses, or spelunking, or horse back riding, or scuba diving, or hunting, or painting or any number of other things. When you're just sat in front of the TV or a computer, it's easy to shovel handfuls of snacks into your mouth mindlessly.

If you want to be 'naturally skinny', get off your backside, and get a hobby besides watching TV and browsing the internet. Even if it's a less active hobby, so long as you are engaged, you won't be simply counting down the time until you can next eat to break the monotony.

This is a good point. Slim people would also like to eat tons of food if it did not lead to weight gain. But, they find other ways to cope with emotions and boredom. People that are having trouble with that can get help. We all get help when we find ourselves coping with life in ways that are not healthy or addictive.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    But this the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum within the MFP forums. I'm not implying anyone needs to be overweight to read and post here. I was just curious. I have no interest in the weight gain forums because I don't have that specific problem so it would be odd for me to be reading/posting there. To me.
    Also, why does your profile say you're 77? And where was your broken clavicle a week ago when you posted a flexed bicep selfie? You're looking pretty healthy for 99 lbs. at 5'2".
    in_the_stars- The above questions were for you.
  • in_the_stars
    Options

Are you trying to gain weight? Can't tell anything from your profile.

Yes! I just can't gain weight or muscle easily.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    But this the "General Diet and Weight Loss Help" forum within the MFP forums. I'm not implying anyone needs to be overweight to read and post here. I was just curious. I have no interest in the weight gain forums because I don't have that specific problem so it would be odd for me to be reading/posting there. To me.
    Also, why does your profile say you're 77? And where was your broken clavicle a week ago when you posted a flexed bicep selfie? You're looking pretty healthy for 99 lbs. at 5'2".

Thanks for posting this.
  • Jestinia
    Options

This is a good point. Slim people would also like to eat tons of food if it did not lead to weight gain. But, they find other ways to cope with emotions and boredom. People that are having trouble with that can get help. We all get help when we find ourselves coping with life in ways that are not healthy or addictive.

I hate to keep on harping, but this drives me nuts. Of course there are thin people who would also like to eat tons of food if it did not lead to weight gain. I am now one of them. But I also know slim people who never struggle with that, and they are no more emotionally stable than I am.

I know what cuts my cravings: Red meat and lots of it, no bread. Does that mean dead cow is my therapist, solving my emotional issues with carnivorous therapy sessions? I don't think so.

I'm not saying it's never about emotions, but it isn't always about emotions for everyone all the time.
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    Maybe, the real issue here is the Carb(quantity AND quality) intake and eating habits. People who eat small but frequent meals and eat SLOWER generally have higher metabolism than "binge eaters".

And also, how many processed and prepackage food do people eat? Factor that in, a lot of processed and prepackaged food are usually high in "hidden sugars". Better to eat NON-LOW FAT food over Low fat food where fat is substituted with sugar. Not all fat are bad. Fat from fish, for example, is good.

Most weight issues nowadays are about simple carbs that we take in. Maybe those "naturally thin" people eat more complex carbs than simple carbs
  • in_the_stars
    Options

I lie about me age, but the pictures are true. :)
    I am pretty healthy, a bit skinny but the pic is real.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I hate to keep on harping, but this drives me nuts. Of course there are thin people who would also like to eat tons of food if it did not lead to weight gain. I am now one of them. But I also know slim people who never struggle with that, and they are no more emotionally stable than I am.

I know what cuts my cravings: Red meat and lots of it, no bread. Does that mean dead cow is my therapist, solving my emotional issues with carnivorous therapy sessions? I don't think so.

I'm not saying it's never about emotions, but it isn't always about emotions for everyone all the time.

Sorry, all I have to go on is these most recent comments and I misunderstood.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't have any of the problems that in the stars is having. But, my weight has always fluctuated between 98 and 102 (when I am fit and active). I am 5'2". That is a healthy weight for someone that has a small bone structure. I am very active, healthy, have lots of energy. I think there are various factors that contribute. I do have a naturally small bone structure. I have always been very active. But, I also do focus on fitness, that's why I'm here. And I eat 1900 minimum, but often more. That is how much I weigh in all my pics. See, I am healthy. And this is what I weigh.

This BMI calculator works for me: http://people.maths.ox.ac.uk/trefethen/bmi_calc.html

But, does not work for medium or large framed people.
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    The people who are "naturally thin" are the ones that picked up good eating habits or eat less meals (consuming less calories overall). There really is no such thing as naturally thin as you can't be the law of thermodynamics. Now, genetics can determine BMR to a certain extend but it's not going to be much greater than few hundred points.

Or they just have highly active life styles. I could never gain a pound as much as I ate. Wasnt until I was 33 with a desk-job that I gained weight.