phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I also have the right to not support A&E for their actions. You don't like the mans opinion, don't watch the show. You PC nazis will wake up some day hopefully, and realize that the 1st amendment means something. Again, hopefully not before it's too late.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

*sigh* Maybe read the First Amendment before you start invoking it?
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Oh wow. I just read a lot of other comments in this thread. This will all be deleted soon. Hi everyone!!!

**Insert "In before the lock" .gif or .jpg here**

Mods will delete this by noon, easy
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    They shouldnt even be on tv to begin with! They are a joke..
  • chai_masala
    chai_masala Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    What's duck dynasty? ?_? Why do I care?
  • PennyM140
    PennyM140 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    By suspending him from the show, A & E has given more publicity and exposure to Phil's words than he ever could have on his own.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Although we do have freedom of speech in this country... unfortunately there can be negative consequences for ones actions / opinions. Although I do agree with the right to voice an opinion I also take into consideration that there are consequences. For example I could go up to my boss and call them every word in the book to describe my thoughts on them. That is also my opinion but it is also prolly going to get me written up or possibly fired.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I HAVE gay friends and relatives HOWEVER I don't want or need a dude! Doesn't mean I am prejudice. His rights have been violated. I watched the show for the first time last night. I really liked it and hope they can resolve this silly issue.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    Wait...we were *surprised* that a redneck from Louisiana is uncomfortable with "the gays"? Really? Who was caught off guard by that revelation?
  • Sandytoes71
    Sandytoes71 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Everyone is allowed to have their own opinion unless it is geared toward the beliefs of Christianity or the Bible then it becomes slanderous and hateful. I honestly hope that the Robertson's pull the show from A&E and find another home for it. It is absurd to think that one cannot have their OWN OPINION about the hot topics in the world without it being said they are hateful. I disagree with homosexuality but would never hate on those that choose that lifestyle. I have a hard enough time policing my own life let alone trying to tell anyone else how to live theirs.

Wow well said!!
  • dewsmom78
    dewsmom78 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    The fun experiment for this would be what if a gay guy from X corporation stands up on national TV and expresses his views on homosexuality and in turn gets fired from the company for expressing his views.

Oh how fast would a lawsuit be spun up yet its the exact same concept. Just some food for thought.

^^SO TRUE
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I applaud his character and integrity to freely answer the question without the fear or worry of losing his job. What job is worth that sacrifice?

I have to agree with this. He was asked a question. At least he didnn't sugar coat it or create an answer that he thought the public would want to hear. Since the start of the show he has held true to his convictions. I may not agree with his beliefs but I think he is strong to stick with it. These aren't questions that anyone should be asked in the first place. This was a question that is known to stir controversy, to an openly religious man. What did everyone expect?

Wholeheartedly agree here. As open as the Robertsons have been about their beliefs, was this really a surprise to anyone? Could he have worded it perhaps with a bit more tact?... Yes. But that's never been their style. They are very out there and speak as the words come to mind. From the original story I read, his opinion sounded a lot more put together, but in reading verbatim, I was disappointed in the wording and manner he portrayed his opinion in. Do I think it's right for A&E to have cut him out? No, not really, he's never hidden his opinions before. But it is their right to do so as it is his right to say what he wishes to say. It's not like this brings about any hardship for his family.
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I didn't hear exactly what He said. But I keep hearing 1st amendment and all that. Lol. This is NOT a first amendment issue. If you think it is, you might want to go back to school and study up on what the 1st amendment is. Or, go live in a country where you don't have the right to free speech, and you'll find out quickly, what it means.

While anyone can say anything without persecution, sort of, there are consequences to saying certain things. Especially when you spew hate towards a group of people.

While many like to think that homosexuality is wrong or something, the fact is, many of those people are our brothers, sisters, parents, etc, and even though I'm not gay, I take huge offense to bigotry and closed-mindedness. It's not ok. It's not.

If I said something about gays in a derogatory way at work, I would be fired. Just like if I said something about any race or religion. I have the right to say it, but the private company that employs me has the right to have rules that do not discriminate towards others.

It's shameful that people can't just accept what is.

He was very respectful in the way he said he disagreed with their lifestyle.
    Not really sure putting homosexuality on the same level as beastiality is respectful.

maybe I only saw part of the article in the one I read he said He thinks it is a sin but he doesnt judge and god will sort it out!
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I have a strong feeling that the majority of people replying haven't read the transcripts by Mr Robertson lol

I have. Did he go a little overboard? Sure. Is it reason for suspending him from the show for his vocalization of his well known beliefs? Debatable. I like debating on things like this. I think it's interesting to see how each side reacts to the other with blanket statements, generalities, pointing fingers, etc.

My main issues, as I've previously mentioned, are that he was suspended for beliefs A&E knew he held, and secondly that if roles were reversed no one would have been suspended.
  • BrotherBill913
    BrotherBill913 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    BS. Nothing that he said was out of line. Hate/prejudice? Sounded more like preference. And the preference of the majority of the human race.

This^^^^^^^^^^
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    why is this show even a subject to talk about?

why are these people's lives even worth nothing? seriously- dumbest EVER.

I can't believe this is even a thread. ... even worse why I bothered to comment.

< and no I've never watched it>

that being said- if he was asked- he had a right to voice his opinion- right or wrong.

This. Everyone has a right to voice their opinion no matter how offensive it may be to someone else. But don't get pissed because the people who were offended voice their OPINION. The problem here is his opinion will affect their income. If you work for me and your opinion cost me money. Your *kitten* is gone. If you would keep someone as an employee that cost of money you are not a very smart business person. Sometimes you need to keep your freaking opinion to yourself. We all have opinions we don't voice for different reasons.

Hysterically- it's not even his job. Seriously- these people are rich because of something else. This is just something they are doing- because... well it's apparently what our national media outlets have deemed we like- why is beyond me. but whatever- they have their own show. and chia pet heads- and towls- and mugs- and all sorts of other stupid crap.

Why they are famous is beyond me... it's not like he is losing ANYTHING on this. People who buy duck whistles probably are going to side with him anyway- and the rest of them probably don't care- the percentage of people who REALLY disagree with him probably aren't out buying duck whistles- and even the small percentage of people purchasing duck whistles who DO NOT agree- probably are going to 'boycott' purchasing THAT duck whistle- that number is going to be so abysmally low it's won't even be a blip on the sales radar.

If anything this is just going to make his sales better.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Wow, the ignorance displayed by some of you is absolutely disgusting to me. This is 2013. If you can't accept that homosexual Americans are here to stay, deserve the same rights as everyone else without being shamed as well as being told "majority rules" you truly should go back under the rock you crawled out from under.

I stopped by this thread with the hopes we had more open-minded people on here, obviously not. Happy to know the "majority rules" I am less of a citizen and two steps away from sleeping with an animal

This seems like a very defensive statement. Maybe step back for a moment and read the thread again. No one is arguing if homosexuality is right or wrong. The discussion is about if Phil Robertson should've been suspended over a question he answered with what he saw as truth, even if it's not something you or I or anyone else may agree with.
  • HershFam5
    HershFam5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    WE are all allowed our opinions. As with everything this country is turning into, it depends on which side of the fence you lean as to whether you will face consequences or not. He did not deserve this. He was asked, he stated. Right, wrong, indifferent, our constitution allows us to express our opinion without fear of backlash. But again, it depends on what side of the fence you are on. He was not hateful in what he stated.
  • wiscck
    wiscck Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I HAVE gay friends and relatives HOWEVER I don't want or need a dude! Doesn't mean I am prejudice. His rights have been violated. I watched the show for the first time last night. I really liked it and hope they can resolve this silly issue.
    Which of his rights have been violated?
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options

916374bec97d6bf0b1d3b791886fac5820.png
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Wait...we were *surprised* that a redneck from Louisiana is uncomfortable with "the gays"? Really? Who was caught off guard by that revelation?

LOL yeah- that's pretty much my thought too- I have no idea why this is even a thing.
This discussion has been closed.