phil robertson suspended from duck dynasty

Options

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    It amazes me how many people don't understand what is and what isn't a free speech issue.

It also amazes me how many peoe don't realize the opinions they hold today will prove to be on the wrong side if history.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue overall is that A&E used to show educational, interesting, quality shows. Now it's all cheap, crappy reality TV. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched anything on that channel.

I saw we boycott A&E for that reason alone.

same with TLC... WTF is educational about honey boo boo???
    You're learning how to make a camouflage wedding dress look even tackier than it sounds!

:drinker:
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    The fun experiment for this would be what if a gay guy from X corporation stands up on national TV and expresses his views on homosexuality and in turn gets fired from the company for expressing his views.

Oh how fast would a lawsuit be spun up yet its the exact same concept. Just some food for thought.
    but its not

he compares beastiality to gay sex

From reading the transcript I guess we have different definitions of the word "compare."
    how about associates?

better

Better as in he associates both as sins. But that equates to someone saying stealing and murder are sins. Not that stealing = murder.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    My biggest issue overall is that A&E used to show educational, interesting, quality shows. Now it's all cheap, crappy reality TV. I couldn't tell you the last time I watched anything on that channel.

I saw we boycott A&E for that reason alone.

same with TLC... WTF is educational about honey boo boo???
    You're learning how to make a camouflage wedding dress look even tackier than it sounds!

Have you guys really watched any of the episodes, rather than just a 5 second flip through? I find Duck Dynasty to be educational, interesting, and a quality show. The way they are raising their kids to be, is how it should be. Get the kids off of the dang video games and outside playing, hunting, learning, etc. Take the kids to church (if that's your belief), work with the charities, and do some good for society. Yes, they wear camo and talk funny, but really watch the show and see what they are about.

Now, Honey Boo Boo. That's just crap tv right there. Enough said.

I know I will get bashed, but whatever. For the record, I am not white trash, yada yada.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just about homosexuality...Robertson also made comments about blacks in the GQ article.

Pretty sure Oprah wish/ordered death upon many a caucasions and I don't recall any lashback on her career...
    Source?

In November she said “there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it – in that prejudice and racism – and they just have to die.”

I think what she probably meant was that those beliefs by those people are not going to change. The only way for those beliefs to "die out" is for those people to die. In other words, you aren't going to change their minds. I don't think she meant that white people need to die lol. It was a bad choice of words because a lot of people are going to take that differently.

Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just about homosexuality...Robertson also made comments about blacks in the GQ article.

Pretty sure Oprah wish/ordered death upon many a caucasions and I don't recall any lashback on her career...
    Source?

In November she said “there are still generations of people, older people, who were born and bred and marinated in it – in that prejudice and racism – and they just have to die.”

I think what she probably meant was that those beliefs by those people are not going to change. The only way for those beliefs to "die out" is for those people to die. In other words, you aren't going to change their minds. I don't think she meant that white people need to die lol. It was a bad choice of words because a lot of people are going to take that differently.

Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

I agree, but either way it was poorly worded.

Also, what she probably meant was misconstrued much the same as Phil's, albeit on a different subject.
  • April_KT
    April_KT Posts: 332 Member
    Options

"I never, with my eyes, saw the mistreatment of any black person. Not once., Where we lived was all farmers. The blacks worked for the farmers. I hoed cotton with them. I'm with the blacks, because we're white trash. We're going across the field. ... They're singing and happy. I never heard one of them, one black person, say, 'I tell you what: These doggone white people' -- not a word!"

Then he goes on to basically say they were happy because they were godly.

As for "comparing" gay sex to beasteality, he was asked what he considered sinful and he mentions beasteality and also sex outside of marriage in general, no matter who it is.

Just to clear that all up.

^^^^^ THIS!!
    He did not make any bad or hateful remarks!
  • W0rthless_Her0
    Options
    Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

But all of us are....right now.

cliff-burton-to-live-is-to-die.jpg
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I don't see why anyone, including A&E, would be surprised by his views. Who didn't see that?? Not that I agree with his views, but he is entitled to have them. A&E is just trying to save face because they don't want anyone thinking they feel the same way, and can't be seen to support a man that has those views. He'll be rich with or without the show, so whatever. Doesn't seem like the DD guys would care much whether or not they have even more money coming in from being on TV. They've been doing just fine, A&E just helped line their VERY FAR into the future's generations' pockets is all.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    The thing with this is Phil wanted off the show as he said it was becoming to scripted. He could not quit to get out of the contract so he found a way to get fired and bring publicity to the show. That is a win-win for A&E and the Robertson family. The show has been declining in popularity recently and they need to sell the merchandice that is sitting on the shelves.

This is all about capitalisim not freedom of speech.
  • MzTanya77
    MzTanya77 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This whole discussion would not even exist if Phil Robertson supported gay marriage. Period. He was asked a question and he answered it honestly. We have celebrities and other important figures on TV endorsing homosexuality and gay marriage ALL THE TIME and no one has pulled the plug on their shows. Its even more embarrassing that A&E was unwilling to stand by The Robertsons and Duck Dynasty which has proven to be one of the most successful shows in the history of the network. I fully stand behind the Robertsons and I firmly believe without a doubt, that what looks like negative publicity is going work for their good. They have a successful business anyway, so they are doing great even without the show.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Its BS....he was asked a question and he answered, nothing more than that. Totally losing faith in the human race.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

really? because I know a lot of really stupid people who just throw themselves off a bridge- because they are making life harder for the rest of us.

We are not all equal and special and worth while snow flakes. Seriously- we have warning labels for hot coffee- that YOU ORDERED.

our society is messed up- there should be open season on stupid.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    7 pages in to this thread, and the reality that A&E has succeeded in their aim becomes glaringly apparent.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with what my coworker:

"The first amendment does not grant you the right to have a cable reality show. If the cops were coming after Mr. Dynasty, then this would be an issue of free speech. The reason this dude got fired is no advertiser wants to be associated with a gay basher. Get with the times people."
  • Jgal8123
    Jgal8123 Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    I would have to agree with Palin, free speech is an endangered species.

Suspending Roberston is appeasing the liberal bullies and their very flexible definition of "hate speech."

Free speech is not the same as freedom from consequences of exercising free speech. No one restricted Robertson from making the comments - GQ ran the article. However, he is under contract with a private media company and if they believe his comments hurts their brand, they have the right to take whatever action they deem appropriate to protect their brand.
  • samkelly89
    samkelly89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really shocked at all that he has these opinions?? On the show they are all very clear in their faith. I admire him for standing by his faith and stating his opinion without any hate. And I'm sure he could care less about being suspended if it means he would have to change his beliefs/opinions otherwise. imo it's dumb that he got suspended at all.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Its BS....he was asked a question and he answered, nothing more than that. Totally losing faith in the human race.

^^ This
  • arghbowl
    arghbowl Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Let's all be clear.

No one should die. lol

really? because I know a lot of really stupid people who just throw themselves off a bridge- because they are making life harder for the rest of us.

We are not all equal and special and worth while snow flakes. Seriously- we have warning labels for hot coffee- that YOU ORDERED.

our society is messed up- there should be open season on stupid.

I like you.
  • rokdog1
    Options
    First of all, A&E probably would lose considerable advertiser dollars if they left the show on the air, because companies wouldn't want to be associated with those opinions.

Second, it was not a First Amendment violation, because A&E is not the government.

I'm just going to keep posting this until people actually read it.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances."

Point taken and noted. Not a 1st amendment issue. But let me get this straight...It's okay to be intolerant of anothers opinion, when you think they are being intolerant? Sure. Phil Robertson's religious beliefs were never in doubt for those who have ever watched the show. Shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone. As others have pointed out, this may have more to do with marketing, and publicity than it has to do with A&E having issue with his opinion.
This discussion has been closed.