This gallery explains why millions of Americans are obese…

Options

Replies

• BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    We're obese because we eat too much and sit on our butts all day.

Personal responsibility for our health? Whaaaaat?!

Everyone quit your office jobs and go get a job on a farm. Sunshine, exercise, fresh air, personal responsibility. I bet the farmers won't care if we eat the occasional fresh fruit or veggie straight out of the ground, either.
    So what's the answer then?

Overhaul our society and system. Cut work hours to 30, then 20 gradually, since both parents are working outside the home now. People will then have more time to cook and exercise.

Start subsidizing expensive healthy foods.

You really think people are going to use their extra time to cook and exercise? People are lazy.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options

Everyone quit your office jobs and go get a job on a farm. Sunshine, exercise, fresh air, personal responsibility. I bet the farmers won't care if we eat the occasional fresh fruit or veggie straight out of the ground, either.

Overhaul our society and system. Cut work hours to 30, then 20 gradually, since both parents are working outside the home now. People will then have more time to cook and exercise.

You really think people are going to use their extra time to cook and exercise? People are lazy.

Generalization.

Why is thinness considered beautiful in some societies and overweight or even obesity in others? Because in societies where the cheap food makes you fat, being thin is a sign of wealth because you can afford better food and the time and energy allotment to exercise. In societies where all food is scarce, being overweight or obese is a sign of wealth.

So say anthropologists. If you think they're wrong, take it up with them.
  • Matiara
    Matiara Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    In order to get a cheeseburger, small fries, and a drink, you need to order a Happy Meal. I remember when that was the only size of burgers and fries at McDonalds. Here in Seattle, all fast food restaurants must post calories next to the menu item. If you want to eat 1,500 calories in one meal, then it is your choice.

Even sit down restaurant meals are enough for two or three. We have a lot of 'small plate' restaurants here where people can get a normal sized meal. When I go out to a regular restaurant, I order from the appetizer menu or get a side salad. Regular salads are way too big.

I also live in the Seattle area. :drinker:

McDonald's sells cheeseburgers, small fries, and small drinks on their dollar ($1.29) menu. The choices *are* there if one reads the entire menu instead of just looking at the picture menu for the value meals. Same with Wendy's and Burger King.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Thank you and I will read these. However, one issue remains: are people being forced to consume fat food? I'm pretty sure "eat 3 times a week at McDonalds" has not joined death and taxes as they things we can't avoid. People are fat because they CHOOSE to eat too many calories.

Those with the income and time to cook do choose it, and many are overweight. But those without the income and time to cook (especially those living in areas with no real grocery stores nearby) aren't choosing. It's what they're forced to do.

OMG! I was totally unaware that McDonalds and other fast food outlets are FORCING poor people to buy Big Mac's and to supersize the fries and the drink. I guess they have some sort of means test to determine who can buy salads.

the fast food overlords have us at their mercy...resistance is futile!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Thank you and I will read these. However, one issue remains: are people being forced to consume fat food? I'm pretty sure "eat 3 times a week at McDonalds" has not joined death and taxes as they things we can't avoid. People are fat because they CHOOSE to eat too many calories.

Those with the income and time to cook do choose it, and many are overweight. But those without the income and time to cook (especially those living in areas with no real grocery stores nearby) aren't choosing. It's what they're forced to do.

OMG! I was totally unaware that McDonalds and other fast food outlets are FORCING poor people to buy Big Mac's and to supersize the fries and the drink. I guess they have some sort of means test to determine who can buy salads.

McDonald's isn't, income and time allotment is.

The kneejerk reaction to anyone pointing out systemic, societal reasons for obesity is ridiculous on this forum.

Yeah, but really income and time aren't the real reason, either. There are fast food options out there that you can choose and maintain a healthy weight. Lots of them are on the dollar menu so they aren't expensive. I use those options for lunch whenever I don't have leftovers from last night's dinner, which is more often than I would like.

I also eat a good amount of prepackaged frozen meals because I just am not in the mood to cook. There are plenty available that are not more expensive than cooking from fresh (not as tasty, of course). And one serving for a lot of them is actually fewer calories than I can have per meal and still lose weight (<= 500 cals per serving). It's still down to knowing what the issue is and making smart choices. You have to find out how much you should be eating per day, and choose to eat the appropriate amount. That is what is lacking - the knowledge and/or the choice.

Oh, and caring. You have to want to maintain or lose in order to even bother with any of it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

hey there now buddy, easy with the personal responsibility crap...we all know that people are obese due to an extensive marketing/advertising/propaganda campaign, that was cooked up in the 1960's by the emerging fast food industry...
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, I know. Never happen in a society where we're all getting worked to death for corporate profit.

I don't know if you know this but...

most farmers already receive subsidies to keep the price of commodities (read fruits, vegetables, milk) down.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I would if youre gonna subsidize my dinner and let me have time to cook heck yeah! I think I'd make Italian tonight so I'd like some subsidized Italian pork sausage, vine ripe tomatoes, fresh basil, garlic, parmesan reggiano, and what the heck let's do veal parmesan. Oh I need a nice loaf of French bread and I think a Chablis. Dessert we can be simple I'll make a crème brule.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes matter.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Anything that you eat, unless you are kidnapped or institutionalized, is your own responsibility. I think we all get that.

I think that the increased portion phenomenon of the past 20 - 30 years is driven primarily by the increased industrialization of our food supply that resulted in the delegation of a lot of our food portioning to outside of the household, and by 2 big elements in America's culture: 1) our relentless pursuit of getting more for our money and 2) our aversion to wasting food. We want to get more for our money so we buy bigger portions – we hate to waste food, so we eat all of it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh. so then there's no point in trying. You can't do it. Might as well give up, give in and eat whatever you want.

hmm...I'm going to return to: personal responsibility.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    My coconut oil is chemical free.

Now that is some incredibly special coconut oil! I'm guessing it doesn't weigh very much...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes matter.

shhhhh ixnay on the ortionpay izesay its the secret I don't want to get out there
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    The only thing I've learned about bagels is they have gotten so much smaller in recent years. They used to be these big delicious things, now they are these little hockey puck sized balls of stale dough.
  • Jestinia
    Options

Now that is some incredibly special coconut oil! I'm guessing it doesn't weigh very much...

Touche. You guys are going to keep me on my toes. There is supposedly no chemical in it that didn't start off as a coconut.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options

Touche. You guys are going to keep me on my toes. There is supposedly no chemical in it that didn't start off as a coconut.

Now, that, I can get behind.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

I squeeze mine myself. There's no lime in my coconut.
  • Jestinia
    Options

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Yeah, I know. Never happen in a society where we're all getting worked to death for corporate profit.

most farmers already receive subsidies to keep the price of commodities (read fruits, vegetables, milk) down.

I am very aware of it. And we need more of this. And stricter controls on what can be put in and on our fruits, vegetables, milk and meat (meat is very heavily subsidized in various ways).
  • Jestinia
    Options
    http://www.eufic.org/article/en/expid/review-food-choice/

Title: The Determinants of Food Choice

A much more nuanced and of course researched rundown on the mix of determinants in food selection.
  • ndj1979
    Options

I am very aware of it. And we need more of this. And stricter controls on what can be put in and on our fruits, vegetables, milk and meat (meat is very heavily subsidized in various ways).

right, get the government MORE involved in our lives...because they are already doing such a great job of ruining all the stuff they already control....