WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    Love all the songs! Well done!

Katla - all the major supermarkets have online ordering and delivery over here. It has caught on in a big way. I really don't know why the British are so in love with online ordering, but you see vans all the time trundling about. The Christmas slots book up really early. Sometimes I just use the deliveries for bulky stuff and sometimes I do a more comprehensive order. Delivery is free over £50.

DS is now on the train back home, having had a good time at his dad's. He enjoyed meeting their new dog, which is a whippet. His girlfriend has a mobile dog grooming business and five dogs, so it is a good job he loves animals. We didn't have any animals when he was young so he used to babysit the neighbour's cat when they were on holiday and spend hours round there. Actually we did have two fish until one nibbled the other to death and we gave the murderer away.:noway: My experiences with animals had often been upsetting and it put me off owning one. DS is so happy now that he is around so many dogs all the time.:love:

Looking forward to DSIL & DSD arriving tomorrow.:heart::drinker:

See you, Heather UK
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,091 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,
    Family party yesterday wall to wall people I am still recovering. I have been out of sorts today. With all the big crowds I have been around the past few days and will be tonight I was kind to myself by resting all afternoon. Neighborhood party tonight.

Jill hope you feel better.:flowerforyou:

I think with all the stress, cold weather, crowds, good food at every turn it is easy to get sick this time of year. Take care all and be kind to yourselves.:flowerforyou:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    bump
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,979 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: My big cheese and cracker extravaganza at the party last night (also smoked salmon, herring, and artichoke dip) netted me almost a two pound weight gain that was most certainly water retention due to much too much sodium in too short a time

:flowerforyou: Our cat, Bernie, is getting too fat. He’s an indoor cat and doesn’t run around as much as he did when he went outdoors. We have started being more careful with his portions of food. He protests, just like we do when we can’t eat as much as we want. Someone suggested playing with him so I’m teaching him some things to do and added “play with Bernie five minutes a day” to my resolutions for the month. I’ve tied some things to pieces of yarn and put them around the house so when I see him, I can dangle them or drag them and tempt him to chase them. I have cardboard tube from TP in the bathroom that I roll for him while I’m getting dressed in the morning. The last two mornings he’s jumped at it and chased it with no help from me.

:bigsmile: This morning I walked the dogs longer than I have since my fall (45 minutes before breakfast and 2 hours and 20 minutes after). While I was walking Brandy we met up with the people who had the party last night. They were walking their two dogs (mixed breeds, bigger than our dogs) and Brandy was moderately friendly with the dogs. She loves the people and paid more attention to them than to their dogs.

:bigsmile: This afternoon a friend came over to watch the Seattle Seahawks game. Last week I made beef stew and this week I made chicken and served it with gravy, quinoa and sprouted rice blend, and frozen green beans. I served some left-over artichoke dip from the party last night, as well. We have high hopes for the Seahawks but so far, they’re not doing so well this afternoon.:brokenheart:

:flowerforyou: Susan, I like your list of what to eat and what not to eat…your thinking is clear and I’m sure you’ll get back on track before long.

:flowerforyou: Joyce, when I changed from one exercise bike to another, the recorded steps dropped dramatically and I just had to get used to the change and lower my expectations of how many steps I’d record for the day….I’d like to add my voice to those who have recommended a bone density scan….it’s an easy test and might provide important information for you for the future of your health…I love doing cleaning and organizing accompanied by good music, especially when I can sing along.

:flowerforyou: Anamika…..that’s a great suggestion to focus on the positive (more fruits and vegetables) rather than the negative (no more sugar).

:flowerforyou: Tazgirl, I’ve done some marathon knitting to meet a deadline and once it’s done, it feels great, knowing that I accomplished so much.

:flowerforyou: LizPlus, I hope you can focus on all the happy times with your sister.

:flowerforyou: Yaniejannie, hope you feel better soon.

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, now you have a guest bed ready for the next emergency. We use our guest bed for when one of us can’t sleep so there are never clean sheets on it for company, but at least it’s not piled with stuff…..our dogs never go out alone so I have no idea what they’d do….they love the cold, ice, and snow.

:flowerforyou: Heather, all your pre-planning seems to be paying off……you have a super attitude about the two mis-steps in the food delivery.

:flowerforyou: Cynthia, welcome…..I hope you’ll keep coming back and tell us more about yourself….I’ve been posting here for a long time but still remember my first days of trying to get to know others and become part of the community….it is worth the effort.

:flowerforyou: Vicki, it’s great that you are able to go to work and get so much accomplished for Christmas.

:flowerforyou: Meg, you do such a great job of balancing your work obligations and your holiday preparations.

:flowerforyou: Jane, rest sounds like the best thing you can do for yourself to get completely well.

:flowerforyou: Katla, a good friend of mine had to stop crocheting because of carpal tunnel and she gave me all her yarn. Right now I’m knitting a child’s blanket with some of the yarn…..the blanket will go to a group that gives blankets to children in hospitals. I’m glad to hear that there are crafts you can still do even if you can’t crochet without pain.

:flowerforyou: Jb, another great song and fun to sing

:flowerforyou: Grandmallie, enjoy your swim

:bigsmile: Katla, I love your song

:flowerforyou: Jill, I hope your health returns soon but your appetite stays subdued.

:flowerforyou: Margaret, bravo for surviving the wall to wall people…..i don’t do well with crowds, either.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful chilly NW Washington
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: 13,000 steps so far today----three and half minute plank

It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop. ~Confucius
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Good evening, all! It is a rainy, rainy day here in Georgia. DH and I went for our 2.7 mile walk in the rain and got soaked! Then to compound the craziness we went to Walmart to buy last minute stocking stuffers and groceries for Christmas.

My brother and family set up housekeeping in the detached garage, so Mama's spare bedrooms were free for my sister and nephew. Whew! Dodged that bullet! But I am having a drop-in mid-day Christnas Eve plus I'll need it make dressing for the Christmas Day lunch at Mama's. I also need to make my dad a coconut cake. It's tradition, and I make it totally from scratch, including old-fashioned seven minute frosting. It is his absolute favorite, so I will continue to make it for him as long as he is alive.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,389 Member
    Options
    Susan from the Midwest - you know, that's something that I really don't care for -- smoked salmon. Someone gave me a little once and I ate it, but that's not something that I'd get on my own.

Did anyone see the zits (I think it was) comic today? The mother is saying that she's giving the husband a reprive. Come to find out that it's a reprieve from his diet for the rest of the holiday season!!! lol

Loki is right now snoring away underneath the china cabinet.

Rode the recumbant bike for an hour today. Tomorrow I have this Tony Little DVD, supposedly it's a total body workout but I seem to recall that it really isn't. It's only 30 minutes long. Depending on how much time I have, I may do it twice. update Vince just told me we need to leave at 7:15, so I'll pobably only be able to do it once.

Joyce - I was just saying to Vince today that Target is going to have some good sales

After exercising, I went to Lowe's Foods. Wanted to go early while most people are still in church and the store isn't all that crowded. Then I stopped at Big Lots and got containers for Bryan and Diana's birthday cakes. Since he says he doesn't want anything (I personally think he thinks that we have too much dependence on "things" but he told us to buy ourselves something we wouldn't buy. Anyway, I suggested to Vince that we make a donation to the local soup kitchen. I'd enclose a note in his package and tell him that that's what we did. It probably won't make any difference in his feelings.

Sylvia - I love to read your "ramblings". I do the same thing,. Ramble away!!!

tazgirl - so sorry for all you losses. I made a blanket sort-of like you described but instead of having a binding, you cut the two layers of fabric about an inch thick and then make knots in it.

Can't wait -- Denise and Jess will be here tomorrow. I haven't seen Denise since we took her to Europe for the wedding.

I woke up this morning and in my half-sleep gave Lance his insulin. Then I realized that it was a quarter to three, not a quarter to six. Oh well.....

Cynthia - welcome, come back often

Vicki - that's horrible that SD posted on facebook that her dad is in an abusive relationship! Good for your dh for setting the record straight!

katla - when Jess was born, my cousin made a stocking for her with her name at the top. Afterwards, I had a neighbor crochet stockings for Bryan and Denise with their names on top. Right now we have a stocking for each of the cats with their names embroidered on it. Jess started that tradition.

jb - what a smile you put on my face! Thanks. You are so very talented.

Right now I'm making more cornmuffins. When we went out to dinner when we picked Jess's cats up, Kris mentioned that he liked cornmuffins, that he'd never had them until he moved down here (he's from Maine). To me, they look like they need a little extra "something". So if they don't turn out well, I can always make another batch. That's one of the things I like about cooking ahead of time.

Cynthis - OK, do tell all. What part of Europe are you in and how did you get there? Inquiring minds want to know

grandmalle - almost every night when we're down in FL we go out to dinner. I consider it part of my vacation. We do have cereal there, tho.

katla - adorable lyrics. How I can relate!

Healing thoughts sent to everyone who needs them

Jill - the first time my sinuses were so bad that they were pressing down on my tooth, I went to the dentist thinking that I must have some sort of cavity or something. He took an x-ray and that's the first time ever that I knew that sinuses can affect the teeth.

Heather - have fun with your company

barbie - Loki was gaining weight once he went on the medication, the vet said that this is sometimes a side effect. They do make weight control formula dry food. We use the Advantage (PetSmart's) brand.

Anamika - let me add that I agree with barbie, focuing on the positives and not the negatives really does help

Michele from NC
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    JB- Love the Silver Bells song...LOL!

Katla- I start out eliminating the breads and sugars only because when I keep them in my diet, they take up too many calories for my 1200 allotment. Once I lose some weight, then I may include them as a Treat. I miss bread and fried food ALOT!!!
    Ok, here's an old movie that is one of my favs...Edward G. Robinson in "Laceny, Inc." soooo funny. A very young Jane Wyman is in it along with Edward Brophy. It's a comedy gangster film. Then there is the other one he in in titled "A Slight Case of Murder." EGR is a beer baron after prohibition. Hilarious!
    All the old character actors with Brooklyn accents are in these films.

Bought the book, The Happiness Project today. Was surprised to see it on the book shelf at Target...yes, I paid cash. Also went early and the store was slow.

I am still having hot flashes. I am so sick of them! Argh.

Tomorrow I have a list of stuff to do and it feels great to check off as "done."
    This is what I ate today:
    1/2 cup flax seed,chia, sunflower, cinnamon,slivered almonds
    3/4c coconut milk
    3 pc smoked salmon sliced(lunch)
    baked salmon (dinner) - Michelle & Barbie= I really like salmon:love:
    honeycrisp apple
    orange and grapefruit salad
    cashews
    powerbar
    around 1400 cals.
    2 tall glasses of water as I watch my movie.
    Susan in Midwest
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh my kitchen stinks! I have been doing some cleaning in there. I have very little counter space so I am trying to free up as much as I can. One year, I'd say maybe 5 years ago my daughter and SIL and kids were till here after Christmas so everyone wanted to come over and still spend time with them. I'm not the best of cooks and don't have a lot of ideas so I decided that I needed to sue up some chicken nuggets I had in the freezer. I had been part of this program people of any type of budget could participate in. So my sister and I did this. You pay about $25 and get about 1 week or so of meals to make. I didn't use a lot of them so they just piled up in my freezer. So I had fries and nuggets. My sister had the same things so we just combined them and had lunch. anyway, this oil in the deep fryer has been sitting in there for these years. The lid is tight so I never smell it. Well I wanted to move it off the counter and knew that I also needed to clean it. So we put the old oil in a milk jug and then I saw the gunk in the bottom. Awful. We got that spooned into the jog also. Then I started working on the accumulation of whatever it was on the sides. I told Charlie that's what his arteries looked like because of all the deep fried foods he eats. I put some Dawn dishwashing detergent in it and fill it with as hot water as I could get and let it stand to let Dawn do it's magic. So a couple of hours later I went back to it and started trying to clean. Drained the water out, collected a whole drain stopper of sludge and started the process all over. The main fryer and all the elements are now clean but the kitchen still stinks. Worse than stinks. Plus I don't think I will ever eat another french fry again.

Joyce, indiana
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :smile: we are having our little toddler grandson over. Picked him up abt 11 AM this morning. Needless to say, it has been a busy day. Went grocery shopping first, so am prepared for xmas dinner. All the presents are wrapped too. Little boy is now in bed. Must explain that it is MUCH to small for him now, but he won't sleep in the big bed yet. We will see how long he sleeps. I better goto bed eearly tonight.

Today I cleaned "that" part of the kitchen counter, that humans fear to attack. It is looking mighty fine now. DH promised to build a littl shelf on which to perch all the vitamins. Yay.

My days are off. I am off. Likely because of having 4 days of the flu. Is it Monday tomorrow? Okay then.

ttyl
    Renny
    Balmy Vancouver Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot for tomorrow.:flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    Options
    The moussaka is out of the freezer! It took up so much room I'm glad it's out.
    The cheesecake and zucchini tots will come out at lunch time.
    Hooray - things are really getting going!:bigsmile:

Picking up DSD from the train at 12.30. DSIL arriving about then. Light lunch.
    Every year DH composes a "Christmas Quiz". He is really good at them. As it's going to be stormy and wet outside we might have a go at that.

Breakfast arriving. Bye for now!
    Heather UK
  • healthytops
    healthytops Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    merry Christmas ladies, you sound like such a wonderful group. You certainly seem to know one another very well. I am pretty well a no techy, so I will attempt to join your group, and hopefully be able to find my way back here again. Computers!!!!!

I am committing to Fitness Pal tonight, and am looking forward to encouragement, and talking with real people. I am currently 214 pounds, and I should be around 170. really, this feels unattainable for me, as I am quite addicted to sweets, etc. I really want to do this for me, and I want to be a healthy granny for my 5 grandchildren, aged 7 and under.

I belong to TOPS, and am struggling. Hence my computer name healthytops. My name is Glenda, age 57, I live in BC Canada
  • healthytops
    healthytops Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    PS. What do you mean when you bump?
  • altinkumjoy
    Options
    Hi there , nice to see your on the move , I too do stretches and dance around the room , also whilst ironing i put the best Turkish music i have move around , some people may say how do you do that ..........
    Im sixty years old and love walking , but today its raining , high winds and dull in the UK , a bit scared if tress and tile that may off fall down , Oh hubby just walked in , he is going to bank ........ so will have to do some ironing , any body want theirs doing ha ha
    Im so glad to have found this site , most fitness ones are younger than me , all the best happy christmas to all
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Healthytops- welcome, you will get the hang of it, and yes we are all good friends, just hop on in:flowerforyou:
    Bump means you are saving your space ,so when you come back you come back at that place, if you understand:huh:
    well I am up icing my heel and having my warm lemon water, than riding the bike to the gym, working out and then hopefully relaxing
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Vicki :smile: What a fantastic thing teaching your DGD to help the homeless and now she wants to do it every month….how very caring:heart: !!! Hope your dad is okay:flowerforyou: ! Your SD sounds a bit mean:angry: !

Yanniejannie :smile: I just hate it when my ears hurt….Dr. gave me Nasonex to use, it seems to help with the fluid I have in my ears, now if I would use it like I`m supposed to:tongue: ! Hope you`re feeling better and hope you daughters migraine is gone:flowerforyou: !

Meg :smile: Brrrr…stay warm! It was in the mid 70`s here yesterday and raining, it was just sticky:frown: !

Katla :smile: Your crab dinner sounds delish:love: ! How cool to see the one ship surrounded in fog, magical! What a wonderful stocking gift for you DDIL! Homemade gifts come with such love:heart: !!! Love the song:laugh: !!!

Jb :smile: Love it!!! You are so very talented!!!

Joyce :smile: I got a chuckle out of your YGD besotting you with her art work on your brand new wall:laugh: !

Cynthia :smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat!

Grandmallie :smile: Yikes…hope DH heals soon:flowerforyou: !

Jill :smile: Oh I hope you feel better soon:flowerforyou: !!!

Heather :smile: Glad you had a good time with DS! We have a grocery store here that you an order your food, but you have to go pick it, they don`t offer delivery:grumble: . I think delivery option would be fantastic:love: !!!

Margaret :smile: I don`t like big crowds either:noway: ! Hope you had a nice rest!

Gail :smile: How are things going:huh: ?

Barbie :smile: One of Noels favorite things is an empty TP roll:laugh: , she throws it up in the air and chases it, barks at it and then proceeds to shred it and have a few bites of it:tongue: . A very cheap toy! I love smoked salmon, haven`t had that in awhile; need to put it on my list of things to buy!

Katiebug :smile: It rained all day here too, and was hot and sticky:frown: ! That coconut cake sounds delish, how sweet you are to make it for your dad:heart: !

Michele :smile: Enjoy visiting with your gorgeous daughters:love: !

Susan :smile: I have a few hot flashes every now and again:grumble: , not nearly as bad as they used to be:happy: ! I call them power surges! Your menu sounds just yummy!

Joyce :smile: A stinky kitchen….is it from the old oil:huh: ? Can you tell I don`t cook:laugh: ? At least now you don`t want French fries !

Renny :smile: I`m guessing you`re feeling better:flowerforyou: ! A toddler will wear you out!!!

Heather :smile: Have fun with DSD and DSIL!!!

Glenda (Healthytops) :smile: Welcome!!! Hope you`ll pop in often and chat! It just takes dedication and will power, I`m sure you`ll be able to do this! This is a great group of supportive and encouraging women!

Altinkumjoy :smile: Welcome! Come in often and chat! Dancing is a great way to burn calories when it`s wet outside!

Grandmallie :smile: Hope you have a relaxing afternoon!!!

Dinner last night with the kiddos:love: , it was wonderful! Lots of fun and laughter! My youngest granddaughter decided to rearrange my presents:noway: , which I had all sorted out, now I get to do that again today:grumble: , she was looking for her presents, which were all placed together to start with, then she had to count the presents and seems like her sister has a few more than she does:cry: , so she thought it was important to let me know that:tongue: , I told her she had one more it just wasn`t wrapped, actually it`s a Barbie house and the thing is HUGE, I wrapped it and put it in the trunk of my car, somebody is going to have a time putting it together (it won`t be me:tongue: )! I let them open one gift last night, and then I go over to their house on Christmas morning bringing the rest…I feel like Santa and my car is the sleigh:love: ! We sang songs and the dog joined in with her barking:tongue: , I think she was voicing her displeasure at our singing ability:laugh: ! A good time was had by all…I love spending time with my family:heart: !

Hope everyone has a wonderful day! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy and fairly warm NC ( I turned the AC on yesterday, it was hot and sticky)
  • barbiecat
    Options
    merry Christmas ladies, you sound like such a wonderful group. You certainly seem to know one another very well. I am pretty well a no techy, so I will attempt to join your group, and hopefully be able to find my way back here again. Computers!!!!!

I am committing to Fitness Pal tonight, and am looking forward to encouragement, and talking with real people. I am currently 214 pounds, and I should be around 170. really, this feels unattainable for me, as I am quite addicted to sweets, etc. I really want to do this for me, and I want to be a healthy granny for my 5 grandchildren, aged 7 and under.

I belong to TOPS, and am struggling. Hence my computer name healthytops. My name is Glenda, age 57, I live in BC Canada
    you have come to the right place :bigsmile: :bigsmile: now that you have posted, you'll will find us on your list of "My Topics" in the Community section.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: Many of us were addicted to sweets and made changes of adding more veggies and lean meats.....the longer I stay away from sweets, the easier it is to do without them.....many others have a planned sweet treat every day....make small changes one day at a time.

:flowerforyou: I looked on a map for where you live and I think we must have driven through there on our way from Trail,BC to NW Washington a few years ago......beautiful country...you are fortunate to live there.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Hi there , nice to see your on the move , I too do stretches and dance around the room , also whilst ironing i put the best Turkish music i have move around , some people may say how do you do that ..........
    Im sixty years old and love walking , but today its raining , high winds and dull in the UK , a bit scared if tress and tile that may off fall down , Oh hubby just walked in , he is going to bank ........ so will have to do some ironing , any body want theirs doing ha ha
    Im so glad to have found this site , most fitness ones are younger than me , all the best happy christmas to all

:flowerforyou: we all love this thread because we are of similar ages and treat each other with affection and encouragement.....I love to dance.....I go to line dance classes three days a week and dance at home for additional exercise. :bigsmile: we have mild weather here now, so in a moment I'll be taking my dogs for a walk.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington
  • momc4sons
    Options
    It's a busy time of year with four sons. My problem is they have friends over and drag their chairs and tables in front of the tv. They unhook the vcr where I will play the exercise videos to hook up a game console. I guess my workout is moving furniture lol! I really love it when the weather cooperates and I can walk outside! Sometimes it's hard to do in the rain, snow, or freezing rain! Support is needed!!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Taz a Quorn Roast is a meat free "roast" made from fungi mycroprotein (mushrooms) and a few other things. We prefer it to the soy based vegetarian food you can buy.

:embarassed: Sorry, but I am still catching up from the last few days.

:flowerforyou: I went on my Christmas meal on Thursday night - I had sea bass for my main course (it's a change from turkey) I couldn't eat the Yule Log dessert though, it was too rich and sickly. I don't know why I chose it to be honest, but I don't like Xmas Pud so don't think there was much left to choose from!

:drinker: :drinker: I'm still doing quite well after the tummy bug in that I am being careful what I am eating. In fact I don't want to jinx myself, but I am the lowest weight I have been all year - I am so pleased with myself. But I know how easy it is for me to go back to old habits so trying not to get too carried away.

:flowerforyou: DHs Aunt has arrived so I'd better make her a cuppa, have a good evening everyone.

Wizzy