If it is simply calories in and out...

Options
Matt_Wild
Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
Why do we not all gain/lose weight at the same rate?

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Because we don't all eat/exercise at the same rate. :huh:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Lies and bad measuring!!! It's a conspiracy!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

this....
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

So using that logic, no exercise and equal calories = same weight gain/loss for each persons?
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    1. Accuracy of counting
    2. Different metabolism levels
    3. Accuracy of exercise

I subscribe to the basic premise of cal in cal out but recognize many variables in the equation ... age affects body composition, activity level, etc. women, men, weight... all these things affect the equation.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    1. Accuracy of counting
    3. Accuracy of exercise

I subscribe to the basic premise of cal in cal out but recognize many variables in the equation ... age affects body composition, activity level, etc. women, men, weight... all these things affect the equation.

Therefore it is not simply in/out?
  • wheird
    Options

So using that logic, no exercise and equal calories = same weight gain/loss for each persons?

Different muscle mass, different lifestyles, slight variations in hormone levels and such...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    _1360850436.gif
  • wheird
    Options
    Ultimately you cannot reasonably expect to find two perfectly similar people to test that out on.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Different muscle mass, different lifestyles, slight variations in hormone levels and such...

Therefore not simply calories in/out, no?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    1. Accuracy of counting
    3. Accuracy of exercise

Therefore it is not simply in/out?

Yes, it is simply in/out.

If you take in more than you push out, you will gain weight. Vice versa, you will lose weight.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

But all those factors would determine your calorie # for maintenance and eating below that would cause weight loss so.......
  • wheird
    Options

Yes, it still comes down to calories in/out. It is just how to accurately obtain an accurate caloric requirement that is the issue.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I think all those things affect the "calories out" component of the equation.
  • tageekly
    tageekly Posts: 3,755 Member
    Options
    In for the conspiracy.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

You're just playing devil's advocate here.. you already know the answer....
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Why do I feel this thread is about to go swirling down the Porcelain Bowl of Pedantry?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

You're just playing devil's advocate here.. you already know the answer....

Shhh! Don't ruin it.

I'm still not sure which side of the argument he's on.
  • chriamaria
    chriamaria Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Metabolism for one. Some people plateau because their bodies refuse to lose more- either in starvation mode or some other chemical imbalance. Not everybody burns the same amount of calories; men burn it faster for example. Medication is a big factor. Illness. I kind of wonder if it is simply just calories in and out. I know there was a guy who did a study who ate only junk at under his caloric needs and still lost weight...but I'm not completely convinced. I'm hard pressed to believe someone could eat more than their supposed to in only fruits and veggies and gain weight. I could be wrong though...