Girls - How heavy do you go for squats?

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, it depends on how much you weigh and your bone structure size. A 100 pound women will squat and lift less than a 150 pound women (as an example). Think of it in terms of body weight percentage. There are charts to help out with that. Of course, if you can lift more, go for it.

I know weights are compared to bodyweight, but in practice, I don't feel being fatter gave me any advantage. I felt like such a weakling when I compared my lifts to my bodyweight (when very obese), so I used to compare them to my LBM to cheer myself up a bit. (Reasoning that the fat was something I had to lift along with the weight, rather than something that helped me lift!).

To answer the question, I'm only doing 100lb squats and find them hard work. (I did used to lift more, but I'm getting back into it again after a break and am building up slowly due to being ancient with creaky joints).

Oh, someone replied this to me back when I first posted, and I don't think I ever responded. But, yeah, this makes a lot of sense!! Thanks for sharing!

And, this is for all the ladies with their heavy squat weights!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Recently BB squatted 275lb (to parallel).

my hero :flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Options
    40kg/88lbs (barbell) ...so far!!! :bigsmile: You have to start somewhere!
  • stonel94
    stonel94 Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you use dumbells, I use the assisted bench press, so the bar is about 45 pounds, and if I'm just back squatting I will put 55 lbs on each side, so that's 155 lbs in total (but assisted) but my legs have gotten smaller.

Front squats I do with 20's+bar but that's because it's just an awkward position for me and i need to get used to it or I'll hurt myself.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    I'll "weigh" in … :laugh:

Today I completed 5x5 at 115. I haven't figured my 1RM, but my next goal is my body weight (~130) at 5x5.
  • amastre
    amastre Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Today I squatted 120 for 14 reps, full depth with the barbell, got a tested 1 rep max of 180. Not as impressive as some of the others on this thread, but I am aiming to put 50# on my squat 1RM this year.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    Awesome! :flowerforyou:

For me, 60kg is my current max for 5 x 5, but I plan on reaching at least 80 in the coming year.
  • oaker
    oaker Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Now that is something I would like to see. Not that I don't believe you, but that is impressive. Must be way more than twice your bodywt. Have you been lifing for years??? Again, impressive.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Um...

125 lbs.

hahaha yup. I just hit 100 pounds, but my goal is to get that as heavy as possible.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

Now that is something I would like to see. Not that I don't believe you, but that is impressive. Must be way more than twice your bodywt. Have you been lifing for years??? Again, impressive.

Kirk_you-must-be-new-here.png

Sara's pretty legit. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1137702-sara-s-first-powerlifting-competition-pics-and-vids Check out some of her extracurricular activities.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Haha you should see her DL....

Mine prior to injury was 140....I should be doing 125 today no issues 5x5.
  • katiebottom
    Options
    205 lbs 5 reps.... but I'm crazy.
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    The heaviest i've ever gone is 4 reps 50 pounds

I usually do 10 reps at 20 or 30 pounds though.

I know I can probably go a lot heavier, but I only started barbell squats a few months ago and I'm focusing on perfecting my form before I increase the weight
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

My weight at the time was 155'ish I think. I have been lifting for about 18 months. I video my heavy lifts to check depth as I have started to compete.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Haha you should see her DL....

Mine prior to injury was 140....I should be doing 125 today no issues 5x5.

:flowerforyou: and for RivenV

(I only just checked back in this thread so did not see the question)
  • madeliefjesmeisje
    Options
    I was just superhappy today, after a year of pretty heavy knee-surgery (for a stubbornly dislocating kneecap) during the recovery of which I messed up/dislocated my SI-joint (yay hypermobility syndrome... -__- nope) my physical therapist is now letting me squat 40kg (88lbs) again :) back on track and ready to work up to 50kg/110lbs in a few weeks :) and then the next goal from there will be 60-70kg :) I'd be especially excited to squat my own weight (64kg) haha.
    But I'm just glad to be back to somewhat heavy squatting again! it gives me such motivation and feeling of progress :)
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    150 lbs, but I deloaded yesterday to 135 lbs due to hip issues and working on my form some more.
  • thepezzle
    thepezzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    135 lbs for reps. No idea what my PR is now, max used to be around 185 x 3. I dont have a rack now so I have to be careful.
  • michelle32720
    michelle32720 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My PR right now is 185 lbs x 5. I don't have access to a gym or rack right now, though.
  • starbucksbuzz
    starbucksbuzz Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Topping out at 165 right now, hoping to hit 185 in the next several months.