checkout my idea for improving America's health

Options
A massive project that’ll get Americans in shape, in all age groups. The project will tackle obesity like how groups tackled cigarettes back in the day, and will be the largest battle against unhealthy lifestyle choices since that.

Goals:

Federal ban on high fructose corn syrup/kill government's subsidies/Research Europe's relation with HFCS. Sames goes for the variety of other contributors. Get them to subsidize the fruit and vegetable industry instead

Make healthy vegetables and meat to be inexpensive

Promote how they're a burden to the country's economy

Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.

Teach people how terrible obesity is to your body, liken overeating to cigarette smoking through a brilliant, massive marketing campaign. Campaign should include limiting portions

Try to get all schools to educate kids about nutrition and overeating in elementary school.

Promote more kids playing outside

Solve problems that's ensue of reducing influence on corn sugar hfcs (increased sugar cane prices etc)

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

Research the correlation with low income and obesity. Drastically cut down on it, with acquired knowledge

Tax soda and energy drinks

Tie part of health insurance cost to healthy bodyfat percentage,

Tie part of health insurance cost to smoking

PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
Thanks!

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    While you're at it, free Unicorns for all!!

Seriously, I see lofty end goals lined up there and absolutely nada by ways and means of achieving said goals.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Yeah bullying and shaming people to lose weight won't work, but keep doing that to the people around you, and alienate everyone until they realise what a hateful, judgemental and misguided self righteous person you are.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    A massive project that’ll get Americans in shape, in all age groups. The project will tackle obesity like how groups tackled cigarettes back in the day, and will be the largest battle against unhealthy lifestyle choices since that.

Goals:

Federal ban on high fructose corn syrup/kill government's subsidies/Research Europe's relation with HFCS. Sames goes for the variety of other contributors. Get them to subsidize the fruit and vegetable industry instead

Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.

Teach people how terrible obesity is to your body, liken overeating to cigarette smoking through a brilliant, massive marketing campaign. Campaign should include limiting portions

Try to get all schools to educate kids about nutrition and overeating in elementary school.

Solve problems that's ensue of reducing influence on corn sugar hfcs (increased sugar cane prices etc)

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

Research the correlation with low income and obesity. Drastically cut down on it, with acquired knowledge

PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
    Thanks!

326.gif
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    What makes a food healthy or not healthy?

Considered that fast foods are a massive export for the US? May well be contributing a fair bit to your economy too.
    Then there's the health insurance industry and so on.

We've got a lot of your chains in the UK and no doubt a load of that money ends in the US - not sure where Starbucks UK is paying tax, but it's not the UK. All the tech staff were based in the US.

We don't have HFCS over here, but why is it really that much of a problem, or just that people have loads of high calorie food and drink?
  • Touji
    Touji Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    All I see are unreasonable goals intended to be obtained by even more unreasonable ideas about legislation.
    Why ban high fructose corn syrup? So that companies are forced to use more expensive alternatives and the prices of food goes up? All that would do is damage the economy and limit people's personal freedom to consume what they want.
    Besides, overweight people already spend more money on food than healthy people anyway.
    While we're at it, let's make cars and boats and planes and houses and gold and jewelry and school inexpensive, too. With magic.
    You can't just mess with pricing willy-nilly and expect there to be no consequences.
    You can't even deifne "healthy". What does "healthy" mean?

Stop trying to legislate personal responsibility. You'll never be able to make laws forcing people to take responsability for themselves. If people are going to overeat, they're going to overeat, no matter what laws you pass. It's the same thing with every other hot issue - drugs, guns, car crashes, whatever. You can't really legislate against something everyone has access to - if people don't overeat foods that have HFCS in them, they'll overeat other foods, similar to how people still kill each other if you ban weapons or how people still get into car crashes despite how complicated the road laws are.

You're proposing XYZ but have no plan for how you're going to pay for any of it. Everything you propose would cost a massive amount of money to implement but you have no mechanism for how that money would be managed or collected. You're short sighted and you promote policies that would infringe on people's economic freedom and hurt businesses. Instead of trying to reform laws to make people responsible, how about you let people handle their own lives and not just let the government step in with its already terrible track record of wasteful spending?
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Many of your ideas reflect how life was once lived by most of us. There was a time when people had natural portion control and being " greedy" was a horrible attribute. At that time , almost everyone ate decent portion sizes.

For example, in my elementary school years, there was perhaps ONE overweight child in the entire school. This in included the inactive kids and the sporty types ---- everyone understood not to overeat, I remember my Uncle telling my Mother ( his sister ) "your apple pie is wonderful but I had one slice, I have had enough sweets". So people knew not to overdo sweets.

Many of your ideas are great, but the Food Industry, Big Pharma, the corporations involved fight using highly financed ads and commercials--- so people are always encouraged by those industries to buy more, eat more then take pills to control the predictable results.

A bit of Fat Shaming wasn't always considered a negative.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Edited to add; since when have kids paid attention to or had respect for what teachers say in regards to what they should be doing with their lives?
    Many of your ideas reflect how life was once lived by most of us. There was a time when people had natural portion control and being " greedy" was a horrible attribute. At that time , almost everyone ate decent portion sizes.
    Most of the times, from what I've seen, were more based on economics than anything else.
    Ok, a bit different, my mum grew up when there was still rationing in the UK.
    You didn't over-eat then because you wouldn't have food on the table the next day.
    These days we've relatively reduced the price of a lot of food I'm pretty sure - or at least made it a lot more accessible.
    If you want a pie, you go and buy a pie.
    In previous days a family member would probably be making the pie from scratch, with a fair bit of effort. Taking two slices meant more than just spending a bit more money.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

We don't have HFCS over here,

we still have loads of fat people though!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    k6vCUYy.gif
  • Anita_hoar12345
    Options

. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

It's not acceptable to shame people or make fun of them WTF everyone has the right to exist without feeling like a piece of **** even if they smoke or are fat who cares
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Seems simplistic with no science to back it up.
    Different cultures access to different food is only a very small piece of the pie.
    The attitude to food, lifestyle, and a variety of other factors form a large part.

People tend to point out different populations gaining weight when being
    "Exposed" to a Western diet. What if, in reality, they are exposed to the
    Western mindset...
  • Arbeidslyst
    Options

You do know Europe isn't one country, right? And Europe includes Britain, Greece and Germany who has an average BMI of over 27, just like the US.

If you want to look to somewhere it should be Japan.

http://www.indexmundi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/weight-of-the-world.jpg
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I want LESS government intrusion into my life, not MORE! More regulation is seldom the answer to any problem. But if we gotta regulate something, how bout ......oh never mind.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options

Goals:

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

Thanks!

I am British but question a couple of your suggestions: -

Make healthy vegetables and meat to be inexpensive - That would be lovely but unless you are willing to subsidise this through taxation, then why should farmers and the rest of the chain be dictated to on their price while McDonalds are free to charge what they like? Wouldnt they just give up the day job if it wasnt worthwhile?

What is 'healthy meat'?

Promote how they're a burden to the country's economy - Also a lovely idea but flawed. Many overweight people already find it tough mentally, although I think this is their issue, not everybody elses. I do think though (in the UK as well) that treatment such as gastric bands should not be paid for by the state. It is of the patient's responsibility to control their weight.

Reform school lunches - UK chef Jamie Oliver recently tried to do this but the red tape and petty councils that prevent this and stick their noses up at healthy food options, preferring sugary and fatty alternatives are quite incredible in their arrogance. It is shocking that a lot of the children shown on his documentary only recognised a tomato in ketchup form.

This however, is poor education on behalf of the parents too. It is pretty poor that it has taken a well known guy from another country to start this off, when US parents who have seen the affects of obesity dont seem to do anything (or maybe someone can show me a case study where what I say is incorrect).
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    The only thing that will work is personal motivation. Unless you are taking about forcing people to exercise and eat right (literally), how will this list or any list of changes help? I knew I was fat, I knew how to change that. It took me wanting to change and committing to that change to do it. Also, the body shaming idea is ridiculous. No one should be made to feel inferior because of their appearance.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Open market insurance policies have always been tied to your health- before this year. People abdicating personal responsibility in favor of the nanny state has led to most of these problems. People find solutions to solve a demand. Case in point HFCS. When I was a kid ONLY wealthy people could afford soda pop. It was a treat- not a beverage. Millions of non -wealthy people wanted to enjoy this treat. Hence the development of HFCS. The problem with your solutions is that they have nothing to do with personal rights and responsibilities. In the U.S. people are in control of the government BUT they decided that was just too much work to pay attention to so they decided to vote for people that promised to do their thinking for them. Let us take school lunches, for example. The parents voted for the school board and the meetings are open. Have you gone to the school board to question the menu? Why do all the private schools in the US have a significantly healthier menu? They have less not more money to spend on food- they are not subsidized. They purchase from the same suppliers. It is because the parents are paying and they watch the menu and what is spent like a hawk. Instead of having a wide buffet of multiple items of crap they have a limited menu of healthy food. Even tho these families can afford to purchase these meals up to 30% still bring their lunch. My kid does because I can still save money by doing so. My kid is not lucky to go to a private school. I worked 3rd shift while getting my degrees. I paid every penny of my education. I drove a beater and shopped at Goodwill. We lived in 1 room efficiencies until we saved a down payment on a foreclosed 1bedroom condo. We ate rice and beans 2yrs and 11 months to pay off the mortgage. All so that I could afford to put her in a school that teaches her critical thinking and personal responsibility. Which are the ONLY proven solutions to your list of societal problems while preserving the liberty and dignity of each human. You need to reread 1984. We now have smart TVs that watch you. Maybe you would like them to wake us every morning and watch us exercise?! Watch what you eat?! As for shaming people...do you have any idea of the damage that would do to you? You would shame a stranger for gluttony while heaping the sin of pride on your soul? I know you have good intentions but you know what road that paves... Perhaps you could take all that passion and start teaching a free nutrition and exercise course with one of your local charities. I am sure your local rescue mission or food pantry would be thrilled to have you teach. My work with the homeless and imprisoned has changed my life. God bless
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    13ydquo.gif
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mmk.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    lol
  • ExtremePhobia
    Options
    I love the ideas but... well the first thing (and this is small) is that we already have a $0.05 tax on soda because they all come in cans and bottles. It doesn't seem to have had a significant effect on recycling and I can't imagine it would have an effect on drinking habits. In fact, if cigarettes have taught us anything, it's that the last thing people care about when they are addicted to something is the price.

After that, your goals are pretty good BUT... we can't even agree that everyone should have access to health care and we don't even care all that much about our education system as it is and you want us to agree to spend a bunch of money on EATING? Not lack of food but eating too much! Don't get me wrong, I like the idea. The problem is that a lot of Americans are idiots will see it that way. And that segment, while not a majority, is large enough to offset the relatively small group that makes up the voting public.

When it comes to politics, you've got about 50% of the country who can't be bothered to care about other people, even if doing so benefited them in the end.