checkout my idea for improving America's health

Options

Replies

• Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Yep, a stateless "government" works just fine when people are *allowed* to do it.

Never has, never will. Anything above the population of a small tribe needs gov't, or it will get run over by neighbouring tribes that do institute gov't.

That's just the way it is.

So sad but true. A defect of our species.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yep, a stateless "government" works just fine when people are *allowed* to do it.

Never has, never will. Anything above the population of a small tribe needs gov't, or it will get run over by neighbouring tribes that do institute gov't.

It's not a defect, it's an advantage, and is what enables us to be the Top o' the Heap. Without the ability to organize, we'd still be swinging from trees along side our primate cousins.
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Who builds roads? PEOPLE!

That's not historically correct.

People "build" trails, gov'ts build roads.

Really, when was the last time you saw a gaggle of suits out paving a road? My cousin works for a company that builds roads, and it's not a government entity.

Government doesn't actually build anything, it merely confiscates and destroys wealth.

And as for the OP, totalitarianism is fun, for everyone. :noway:

Rigger
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    326.gif

1384039328529.gif
  • squishymissay
    squishymissay Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    wow.....
    I don't need anyone regulating my life. Sorry if you need that.
  • Jestinia
    Options

It's not a defect, it's an advantage, and is what enables us to be the Top o' the Heap. Without the ability to organize, we'd still be swinging from trees along side our primate cousins.

In our past, I can see your point. But now we either figure out how to be less murderous and more cooperative, or we will eventually find ourselves at the top of the radioactive slag heap.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

It's not acceptable to shame people or make fun of them WTF everyone has the right to exist without feeling like a piece of **** even if they smoke or are fat who cares

Except it's entirely acceptable to shame people.

We did just that with people who smoke cigs. As a kid, I remember watching kid shows, and in commercial breaks I'd normally see commercials that would shame cigarette smokers. You know, giving us the impression that people who smoke cigarettes and what have you are losers.

They didn't worry about hurting people's feelings, and it indeed gave a generation of kids that smoking is lame. I'm sure it was the same in the 80s and perhaps 70s, too. No doubt the same with 2000s kids, and on up.

This is what we need to do with fat people.

We need to convince the public that overeating is about just as bad as cigarette smoking. This whole 'fat acceptance movement' is 100% illogical, and needs to abolished in the same way we abolished the image that smoking is cool.

Period.

Actually what is illogical is treating any group of people poorly and expecting them to accept it because it's for their own good. Also, not high on the logical meter: posting this on a site where a number of users are overweight.
  • Arysta
    Arysta Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Aside from the unrealistic ideas, I find it interesting that the original poster is implying he/she is the first to think of these things and somehow has the power to make them so. I'm all for having beliefs and working with organizations that work to further those beliefs. The poster could work with Play 60, Let's Move, or a whole host of other organizations that are trying the exact same things mentioned... even work with local politicians or politician wannabes to maybe one day put healthier policies in place. But lofty dreamy posts on internet forum aren't going to make anything but arguments hapen.
  • kgreenRDLDN
    kgreenRDLDN Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    We did reform school lunch program in 2012. It offered less sodium, more whole grains, and a wider selection of fruits and vegetables. They also put a cap on calories for the different age groups- Kindergarten-5th grade= up to 650 calories, 6th-8th grade= up to 700 calories, and 9-12th grade= up to 850 calories. Keep in mind these calorie levels are for 1 meal only. What happened when this took place? Schools dropped out of the national school lunch programs in protest.

Why would you protest for more calories for your kids in one meal? 850 calories for a high school lunch is MORE than enough calories.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Something I've been noticing a lot of over this Xmas shopping season:
    You walk into local Big Box store, see that fitness clothing is a big chunk of the clothing section, and very prominently displayed.
    Head past the sporting goods section and where it used to be mostly fishing, hunting, and camping stuff is fitness equipment, and bikes.
    Kids toys, lots of get up and move type stuff that I've never seen before.
    More and more food shows, and pinterest type sites, talking about low calories, healthy, salads, veggies.
    People getting involved into things like burlesque, belly dancing, fire spinning.
    You know, this fitness thing, getting people moving...it seems to be catching on.
    I think we are hitting the start of the end of the obese gaining train.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    A massive project that’ll get Americans in shape, in all age groups. The project will tackle obesity like how groups tackled cigarettes back in the day, and will be the largest battle against unhealthy lifestyle choices since that.

Goals:

Federal ban on high fructose corn syrup/kill government's subsidies/Research Europe's relation with HFCS. Sames goes for the variety of other contributors. Get them to subsidize the fruit and vegetable industry instead
    have to oust monsanto first and get American to stop buying food that is HFCS laden. Americans *want* this food. Whether it's good or not. - they have farm subsidies already.. they aren't enough.. but the government can say they are doing something.
    Make healthy vegetables and meat to be inexpensive
    to do this, we'd have to decrease the costs associated with growing the food and raising the meat.. Call me crazy but I don't see feed stores/grain growers/monsano lowering their prices anytime soon.
    Promote how they're a burden to the country's economy
    what is a burden?
    Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.
    I believe this has already been done. You can lead a horse to water and all..
    Teach people how terrible obesity is to your body, liken overeating to cigarette smoking through a brilliant, massive marketing campaign. Campaign should include limiting portions

Try to get all schools to educate kids about nutrition and overeating in elementary school.

Promote more kids playing outside

Reform P.E.

Reform school lunches

they already do all this- it's effectiveness can be discussed thoguh.
    Change the lame stigma on eating well, as well as being overweight. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.
    What lame stigma? no one should be shamed. that doesn't lead to healthy lifestyles that leads to low self esteem and depression, which leads to more over eating.
    Research the correlation with low income and obesity. Drastically cut down on it, with acquired knowledge
    they already did this. Low income people eat less healthy food because they are cheaper. it's a buck to eat at McDonalds.. that will fill you faster then a pepper will.
    Tax soda and energy drinks

Tie part of health insurance cost to healthy bodyfat percentage,

Tie part of health insurance cost to smoking
    They already do this
    PLEASE offer any constructive criticism you can. You know, give me your guys' classic pessimistic, elitist input. But you know, something that's constructive .
    Thanks!
    constructive criticism: you should probably do a little research before suggesting that people do research to change things.

I do agree that a lot of things need to change in the world of nutrition. but since we are a capitalist society that enjoys freedom of choice, it's be near impossible to take away the "bad" choices out there, without infringing on someone's rights. The knowledge is out there. It is taught in school and in books and right at our fingers tips. it is up to the individuals to decide to eat healthy. You can post a note on someone mirror everyday telling them how bad whatever they are eating is, and they will still eat it if that's what they want to do. smokers are the same. Smokers know the health risks, but they smoke anyway.
  • Jestinia
    Options

to do this, we'd have to decrease the costs associated with growing the food and raising the meat.. Call me crazy but I don't see feed stores/grain growers/monsano lowering their prices anytime soon.

I thought this at one time, too, but if you look, you'll see virtually everything is subsidized. Beef in particular would simply be unaffordable for most Americans if it weren't. Unfortunately, fruit and vegetables are not subsidized, and that is because fruit and vegetable growers lobby very hard to keep it that way, for fear farmers who currently grow subsidized grain, sugar, etc. will try their hand at growing fruit and veggies if it does get subsidized, therefore lowering prices and hurting the current growers.

Obvious problem: Fruits and vegetables are too expensive for many working families to eat in sufficient quantities.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

. Shame people who are fat, in a similar way that we do with people who smoke cigarettes.

It's not acceptable to shame people or make fun of them WTF everyone has the right to exist without feeling like a piece of **** even if they smoke or are fat who cares

Except it's entirely acceptable to shame people.

We did just that with people who smoke cigs. As a kid, I remember watching kid shows, and in commercial breaks I'd normally see commercials that would shame cigarette smokers. You know, giving us the impression that people who smoke cigarettes and what have you are losers.

They didn't worry about hurting people's feelings, and it indeed gave a generation of kids that smoking is lame. I'm sure it was the same in the 80s and perhaps 70s, too. No doubt the same with 2000s kids, and on up.

This is what we need to do with fat people.

We need to convince the public that overeating is about just as bad as cigarette smoking. This whole 'fat acceptance movement' is 100% illogical, and needs to abolished in the same way we abolished the image that smoking is cool.

Period.

Actually what is illogical is treating any group of people poorly and expecting them to accept it because it's for their own good. Also, not high on the logical meter: posting this on a site where a number of users are overweight.

And it's this kind of douche baggery that has led several cities to include obesity as a protected class. Yay, big bad government! I wonder how much the government would have to actually do if people just employed common decency.
  • TinGirl314
    TinGirl314 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    You know what dude? Put it back in your pants.
    We need to shame people for being fat like we do for people who smoke?
    Sorry you're missing the bigger picture. Why is smoking legal? Because it generates revenue.
    Why are there so many restaurants? Because they generate revenue.
    Why do people do it? Because they have the freedom too.
    Some days, my cig is the only thing that keeps me from snapping out and losing my job. Do I know it's dangerous? Of course. I've seen pictures of my lungs, I know when I'm running a 5k, I get a little winded. I know I smell like an ashtray and I'm trying to quit. If someone comes up and tried to shame me because I smoke, I WILL put that cig out in their eye.
    If someone shamed me for being overweight, I might just knock them over.
    People need to take personal responsibility for their choices, that's the end of it.
    Seriously though, I'd rather put all my weight back on then come out and act the way you do.
    If things were as simple as you claim then it would be done already.
  • zabrak999
    Options
    Sorry you're missing the bigger picture. Why is smoking legal? Because it generates revenue.
    Some days, my cig is the only thing that keeps me from snapping out and losing my job. Do I know it's dangerous? Of course. I've seen pictures of my lungs, I know when I'm running a 5k, I get a little winded. I know I smell like an ashtray and I'm trying to quit. If someone comes up and tried to shame me because I smoke, I WILL put that cig out in their eye.
    People need to take personal responsibility for their choices, that's the end of it.
    Seriously though, I'd rather put all my weight back on then come out and act the way you do.

Thank GOD people like you didn't run the country back then.

Imagine if we had complacent people like you who, rather than aggressively cut down on America's smoking habits and end up saving countless lives, they were more worried about hurting people's feelings. Same thought could be applied to an array of other things that ended up needing government action to help our country, actually.

I legitimately feel sorry for any kid that you'll have, for that reason. Though hopefully you won't have any.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    [edited to remove content no longer relevant]
  • zabrak999
    Options

Imagine if we had complacent ***holes like you who, rather than aggressively cut down on America's smoking habits and end up saving countless lives, they were more worried about hurting people's feelings. Same thought could be applied to an array of other things that ended up needing government action to help our country, actually.

I legitimately feel sorry for any kid that you'll have, for that reason. Though hopefully you won't have any.

Insulting people and calling people names is against the rules. The mods are pretty strict. I suggest you edit your post before you get dinged.

Ah, good save bro. Thanks.
  • zabrak999
    Options
    Research the difference between American and European food. Note what's packed in our food, and find a reason to end it.

You do know Europe isn't one country, right? And Europe includes Britain, Greece and Germany who has an average BMI of over 27, just like the US.

If you want to look to somewhere it should be Japan.

http://www.indexmundi.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/weight-of-the-world.jpg

If the EU's total obesity rate was compared to US's total obesity rate, we'd be far ahead of the EU
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

Imagine if we had complacent people like you who, rather than aggressively cut down on America's smoking habits and end up saving countless lives, they were more worried about hurting people's feelings. Same thought could be applied to an array of other things that ended up needing government action to help our country, actually.

Making arguments FOR discrimination and stating that those discriminated against shouldn't procreate. Hmm, I wonder who else did that
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    You know, its perfectly okay, if some people, who do not care about themselves, do not actually make it to their intended finish line or end/expiration date of life.

Do you know when you will get sick?

Do you know what will trigger sickness inside you?

Do you know when you will die?

No one does generally.

So, if someone wishes to live it up drinking syrup while sitting on a couch watching television and others want to be fit and active?

Sounds good to me. Part of life is about living, your way, on your terms, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else directly.

While I am a firm believer in the adage, 'if your living right, youll see an orthopedist and living wrong a cardiologist', you don't have to subscribe to my way of life and I have the same choice.

In the end, this is about choices.