WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Finishing page 6. boy been here three times and can't catch up. LOL.

BJ
    A plan is what all of us need. A good plan that works for us.

Cynthia
    A loss is a loss no matter how small they all add up.
    Like your way of doing a Christmas tree when you buy
    them do they sell them in a bucket.

Ann
    You are eating much to low. Probably why you are not losing. Up to closer
    To 1,000 and you will start losing. But then your the boss of your body.

Dee dee
    Like the new photo. It wasn't gall bladder they did an ultra sound and all was well.
    I think it might of been acid reflux. I got the same pain after having spaghetti for lunch today.

Dsjnix
    Cutting to far back on calories isn't always good.
    1,500 is a good start for a diet.

Grandmaille
    Here it's to cold for snow this last week has been just terrible.
    Tomorrow milder and calling for shovel weather.

Katla
    Retirement is great did that in 2009 but still didn't take off my weight.
    Got rid of most of my Christmas decoration today. All downstairs.
    I like that water chart.

Susan
    Jillian has a lot of her work on u tube. There's hardly any need to buy the cd's.

Well going to check pages 7 and 8 but I can't keep up.
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Cynthia
    A loss is a loss no matter how small they all add up.
    Like your way of doing a Christmas tree when you buy
    them do they sell them in a bucket.
    Yep, they're in a kind of bucket. You keep it in there at home and take it back that way. You get about half the purchase price back when you return the tree (officially you buy the tree, but then bring it back for a partial refund).
    The nursery says that not every tree makes it; it depends on how people have treated them at home, but a lot of them do. I feel good doing it this way.
    Cynthia
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    WOW - I've been away for a few days and there are 8 pages and it's only Jan 3rd. I haven't had time to catch up but I will.

Life has gotten so very busy. It looks like we are going to have to walk away from my mother's house and let the government take over. I just pray that we don't get hounded by creditors once the estate is cleared up. It is such a mess.

I haven't had time or energy to get to the gym but my food has been good. I'm back to work.

It's really really cold here. This morning it was -23 C with wind it felt like -36 C....yuck!!! Frostbite in minutes. My poor car did not like running this morning. This weekend is supposed to get a bit warmer. I hope so.

I hope everyone has had a good beginning to 2014.

Welcome to all the newbies. Keep coming back.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Sandy from ON - unless you or your siblings co-signed for loans, credit cards, etc., YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE for your mother's debt. It has to be paid from whatever is in the estate, then the lenders just have to suck it up. You probably should check with an attorney just to make sure laws regarding debt in Ontario aren't different, but I really don't see how you could be held responsible. If it was a cousin's estate or an adult sibling's, you certainly would not be liable. Still I am not a lawyer.

If you are contacted by any creditors, tell them to produce the documents for whatever debt it is, showing your signature - no signature, no responsibility. Bet the farm they won't be able to do that. Hope this is helpful. :heart:

It's wicked cold here - no Katla, I am not playing in the snow today :tongue: I think the estimated temperature for tonight is now something like -17 F. I'm staying in and cooking a bunch of vegetable-based meals. So far today, I have roasted brussel sprouts and cubed butternut squash (both with a splash of olive oil and some thyme). Also made an Indian dish I love - cauliflower, green beans, some potato, tomatoes and lots of good spices! I do love Indian food, though I leave out the ghee and use only a small amount of sunflower oil.

Drink lots of water and stay warm out there!!

Jill in western MA
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Hi read all the posts but didn't take any notes just to time consuming. I'll do like I did today come in and do a few. But I like to read them all.
    For those of you going under 1200 calories bad idea you may never lose at that.
    And who talked about a bad coffee is there such a thing.
    And I haven't seen any of you talking about -40 that's what we have been getting up to for the last week.
    Yes it's cold.

well had a great day with grandkids my granddaughter wanted a quilt for the bunk beds grandpa made her for Christmas. She cut out 6 inch squares I sewed them together not all straight but cute. Orange and yellow some old quilted material I had for the last 30 years I'm sure.

Had a very good food day tried to do some biking but only managed 2 min. just to out of breath. takes awhile to get over an asthma attack I guess if that's what it was. See doctor on the 13th.

Well I did the kitchen work before coming here. So now I'm going to go and loose 50 cents in a poker game LOL. Very good pass time.

See you all lighter
    Linda In Northern Ontario.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    From the land of ten thousand frozen lakes,

Patceoh I don’t quilt but I have a friend who does who makes beautiful quilts, I inherited the top part of a quilt that was already pieced in the Dresden plate. She did a wonderful job finishing it for me. Love the quote.

Juanita I feel your pain. Hope you feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

Jane in CO great job on the treadmill.

Ktsmom nice to have a fellow Minnesotan on this forum. Yes the last time they closed schools because of the cold they only gave us a day’s notice.

Welcome dtown. And Dvorah hope you join us again:flowerforyou:

Susan sending loving thoughts for you. So sorry about your puppy.:flowerforyou:

Brooke love the quote.:flowerforyou:

Sandy I feel your cold. Sorry about the mess with your mom’s house. Jill gave you some good advice. Here in Minnesota estates might go into probate so the debts can be settled. It depends on how your mom left her estate. That is one thing on my list is to get our estate together. I went to a seminar on estate planning and I know there are things we need to do.

Jill and everyone suffering from the cold like here in Minnesota sending you warm thoughts.:heart::heart: :heart: :heart:

Goals:
    limit TV/computer
    Live with intention

Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:

:heart:
    Margaret
  • jmthib58
    jmthib58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Rita,

I'm from even more frigid central Mass.

Jeanne
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Wow look at all the posts so far! Holy cow. Today was a quiet day for me, ran to walmart for the monthly household type shopping, had a little nap, worked on photos for a while, that’s about it! Monday and Tuesday the highs here will be zero with wind chills in the -30 to -40 range. Omg!!!

Linda: I’m with you on the evening snack, although I notice my blood sugar is lower when I do. I have found chobani greek yogurt bites….very small yogurt with only 14 carbs.

Barbie: blessings to your friend whose son is sick. And bless you too for caring

Sue: excellent job with your eating today

Laurel; how much snow did you end up with?

Beth & Shutrbugz: welcome!

BJ: great goal!

Cynthia: great news on the loss! I open a word doc and type responses as I read the other posts

Ann: hope you are staying warm!

DeeDee: I ‘ll send you some of the no-cal bonbons as soon as I whip some up. I am resigned to the fact that I now need to start making Benny Beagle’s dry food. I’m going to try oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potato, and apples and bake it slowly so it gets hard and crunchy. I’ll tackle the bonbons next LOL. That’s during my breaks from scrapbooking. I know…but that is one of my resolutions, or rather part of the one resolution….I want to do things I enjoy. Now I find out my favorite scrapbooking store is closing.

Katla: great job on getting the water in! I have fallen down on that two days in a row!

Sylvia: great news on the loss of that dumb old water weight!

Heather: chili sounds fabulous….hope you feel better soon

Patceoh: happy anniversary!

Jane: I bet it is hard to break that sugar habit!

Susan: omg how horrible about the puppy! I am so sorry to hear of his death. Sending hugs to you and your daughter

Sandy: stay warm especially all those little fingers and toes!

Other newbies: welcome to our group and come back often.

Well I know this is short and I’m missing shout outs to many, but hubby is home, DD#2 is off to a church lock in, and I’m starving! So it’s time to get going and make dinner! Take care, Meg from soon to be frigid Omaha
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Susan, I'm so sorry to hear about your daughters puppy. How heartbreaking! I love dogs - sometimes more than I love people - so I truly feel for your loss. Hugs to you and your daughter and to the dog sitter.

Sylvia
  • Cleo918
    Options
    Hi... totally new to My Fitness Pal, hopeful I can find this post on a regular basis! I have trouble finding my way around FitBit, so I'm not making any promises. I am in my mid-fifties, recently retired, reside in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA. It's pretty cool how we connect from different states and countries.

I have a teenager at home, along with several "critters".. he is an aspiring zoologist. Right now we are all hunkered down in the house due to the deep chill outside. It should be an interesting coming week. I am fighting decreased metabolism, hot flashes and increased sedentary behavior!

The FitBit is helping, I got in 12/5/13 and have been learning how to use it to keep it on track. I also bought one as a gift for a very good friend, so hopefully we can cheer each other on. My goals are to:

1. Increase my "moving". I've been "Mall" walking and for the past three days have met my daily goals (yeah!)
    2. Control my eating.... still working on this aspect.
    3. I have weight goals, but I don't really like to put time frames on them, I am happy with any loss. Slow or fast, a loss is a loss and I will take it as it comes! As long as every month ends lighter than it begins I expect I will celebrate!

Cleo, Pittsburgh
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options
    I feel like such a wimp for thinking our high twenties weather is cold!

Barbie, you description of calling your cousin is hilarious. I have a friend like that. Sometimes I don't even get to say what I've called for. She just jumps right in with whatever is happening to her and doesn't even ask how I'm doing.

Kind of like how I do on here when I just continue on with my life and don't respond to what is happening to the rest of you. I do read it though, I promise you all!
  • windstar57
    windstar57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    well im back,:bigsmile:
    Ann what part of New England are you in? we have Jill in Ma.,Kevrit and I in Connecticut.
    I am having a snack, of dill and olive oil triscuits with a laughing cow garden vegetable wedge and a mug of fat free hot chocolate...
    yummy, laundry in the dryer and I have to dust under the bed..
  • windstar57
    windstar57 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Okay…think I posted the quote backwards…anyways I'm from Southern Mass… I see we do have a nice group of New Englanders represented here….though I should have been a southern girl for my tolerance of snow and cold… your snack sounds lovely…especially the mug of fat free hot chocolate…yummmm
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Virginialee78 and all Newbies: Welcome. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

Brooke in CO: Happy Anniversary! :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I’m so glad you’ve shed the water weight. I’ll be waiting to find out how you escaped the cabin fever.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I still have a round spot on my tummy. The loose skin is worst on my inner thighs. I hope it goes away. I am also delighted with the “big picture.”:wink::laugh:

Barbie: Indochine can be on your list for the day you take the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.:flowerforyou:

Lucky in Love: We all have imperfect records for meeting goals. But the more we meet our goals, the better we do. :flowerforyou:

Jane: Sometimes staying in is the best possible idea. -2 is definitely one of those times. Stay warm.:flowerforyou:

Rita: Feel better soon.:flowerforyou:

Alison: I LOVE turkey and gravy over mashed potatoes. Can I eat with you? Wait…I’d have to deal with your weather. Maybe you should eat with me. It isn’t summer, but it isn’t freezing either. Turkey isn’t on the menu today, but chicken is on for tonight.:wink::flowerforyou:

Patceoh: I LOVE your quote from Andy Rooney.:flowerforyou:

Juanita in Sudbury: Get better soon! Holy moley—minus 33????? Good day to be inside and warm. Around here it doesn’t snow when it is too cold because all the moisture freezes out of the air. We’ve never seen anything like that, though.:flowerforyou:

Dtown8 from N Idaho: Your starting strategy sounds very good. I hope you stick around and let us know how well it works.:flowerforyou:

Susan: I’m sorry your daughter lost her puppy, and she’s too far away to hug. :cry: :brokenheart:

Brooke: You‘ve had your hands full. Your in-laws are so lucky to have you.:flowerforyou:

Linda in N ON: I didn’t take off my weight until it kept me from enjoying horseback riding lessons. I’ve always been horse crazy but have rarely had the chance to ride. Then when DH gave me lessons as a gift and I had the chance, I was too heavy for my knees and hurt myself. :mad: I did finish the lessons but the whole experience made me mad enough to do something about my weight. That was a good thing. Next time I get horseback riding lessons, I’m going to be fit enough to enjoy every minute.:bigsmile: It got down to 3F here a couple of weeks ago. That is the coldest I’ve seen in Western Oregon.:flowerforyou:

Sandy from ON: I can’t even imagine -23C. Stay warm and safe.:flowerforyou:

Jill in W MA: Stay warm and safe. Enjoy your cooking.:flowerforyou:

I finished my DDIL’s Christmas stocking today and sent a picture to DS. I haven’t sent a picture to DDIL because she will have to wait and see it in person unless DS sends her a copy of the picture. I feel like a load is off of my shoulders. Now I can clean up our Christmas things and put them away. YAY!:bigsmile:

Those in the deep freeze, please stay warm and safe. The rest of us are, or should consider, counting our blessings.:flowerforyou:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

"What the New Year brings to you will depend a great deal on what you bring to the New Year." ~Vern McLellan (borrowed from Kathy in IL)

January goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Focus on fitness: daily cardio plus strength training a minimum of twice a week.
    3. Water: According to an article a friend posted on facebook, drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations:

* 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot. Took notes but will have to respond tomorrow.
    Sue in TX
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Anne - good luck on your assessment. Let us know how it goes, what all they do, OK?

Beth - welcome
    shutrbugz - It's NEVER too late to join! You'll get lots of encouragement here, that's for sure. When doing your ab routine, don't forget to also work your back (the opposing muscle to the ab).

Joyce - I really wish the fitbit could also be a HRM. That would be so so cool. I didn't realize how far you've come! Fantastic! It's good to keep reminding ourselves of that.

Cynthis - I'd never heard of a rental tree! How neat! I'm guessing that they aren't real big. Is having the ball in the home somewhat of a mess? Do you have to water the tree?

DeeDee - when I went to the Y today, the doors on my car were frozen shut. That's the first time that's ever happened down here. When I went to take the aluminum to the Humane Society right before going to the Y, I couldn't get the back door opened so I just brought the container (which isn't heavy at all) into the front and took it out the door. The only time I buy clothing online is if I tried it in the store and maybe they have a different color. You can count me in "the ladies of leisure" group

dsjnix - I wouldn't cut your calories any lower. The weight WILL come off, it'll just take time. Unfortunately, the older we get, the longer it takes. But the good news is that it DOES happen. Don't get discouraged. I know that's easy to do. Don't forget to get cardio regularly, too.

katla - that "middle age spread" is where the layers go right above the waist of my pants and just below my ribs. How I HATE this. It'll just mean watching my diet more carefully. One year we bought a tree with the ball so we could plant it. Did you dig the hole for the tree already? I know we needed to and then line the hole with leaves. I probably net less calories, too since I never add in my exercise calories. It's just a mind game with me, I know that.

Linda - woohoo on that great loss

Lee - good luck in your marathon. When is it? Welcome to our group!

debi - I'm going right now to check out that download for the Wii. Thanks for the info Update: Looks like I would need to buy an entire new console. I was thinking that this would just be an upgrade to the console that I have.

Well, this morning started out by my dropping off my aluminum at the Humane Society. Then I went to CVS since they had batteries on sale. Normally, I don't buy the small packages, but it was on sale for $5.99 and I had a $5 coupon in addition to a 50 cent one so in the end I paid 56 cents for it. Then took the deep water class at the Y, then went to Big Lots to get Vince his bread, then stopped at Bi-Lo since I needed yogurt and if I got it there I got $1 off plus it was on sale. While I was there Vince called to ask if I was near the WalMart in Conover so I went there to see if I could get a storage container for him. The WM in Hickory had 3 containers but no lids, the Conover one was the same way. So, I stopped at the Y to update my graph for the $5 gas card but they'd already taken it down, then went to Target (no, I didn't pay by credit card) to see if they had a 22gal container. They only had a 25gal one, but Vince thinks that'll work. Then home.

I'm planning to do stepping on the AMT tomorrow at the Y. How I miss the stepping machine they used to have. There the steps moved and you had to keep up, on the AMT it is just so easy to get to where you're going slower.

I'm thinking that after going to the Y tomorrow, I'll probably be sweaty and my clothes will be sweaty, so I'll do a load of laundry and get them in there.

brooke - big congrats on being on here for so long

Cynthis - I just KNEW someone would direct you as to how to reply to individual posts. That's exactly what I do, put everything in a word document and then cut and paste,

Heather - sometimes when I'm doing the plank I peek down at my abdomen (I am usually in just my underpants and sport bra), and I can see the skin hanging over my underwear. I agree that weight training has made the biggest difference. I can see it so much in my shoulders and my arms. Actually, sometimes I have to be careful that the sleeves of a blouse, etc aren't too tight.

Harper - welcome and happy new year to you, too

KathyDB - keep coming in here for ideas, inspiration and lots else. These women are just wonderful

Pat in OH - happy aniversary

Juanita - I didn't think it could snow when it was that cold!!! brrrrr

Jane in CO - good for you not giving up! Wish I had stories about dh going shopping with me, but he won't so I don't have any stories. Once I did go shopping with Denise, she has expensive tastes, and she was looking at the most expensive dresses, etc. So....I started dancing. Right there in the store. She was so embarassed that she left the store asap, which was just fine with me....lol Thanks for telling me about those jeans. Will definitely be checking them out. We have a Dillards near us. Or I can go to the one in FL (when we go down there).

ktsmom - welcome and congrats on being on MFP for so long

Denise - hello,

Allison - stay warm as you can. That's just awesome the changes. Bet you feel better, too.

Dvorah - welcome. This forum will be under your "my topics". Trust me, there's ALWAYS changes. Kind of like death and taxes -- another thing you can count on.....lol

Susan - I am so, so sorry for your daughter. I'm in a way surprised they told her while she was in Cambodia and didn't just wait to tell her when she came back. Now I'm sure she won't be able to enjoy the rest of her vacation.

Cleo - welcome. Wonderful way of looking at things: every month should end lighter than it started. Love it!

Warm welcome to anyone new that I may have missed.

Michele in NC
  • virginialee78
    Options
    Boy it will take me awhile to read everyone's posts... This is an active group! ????

Exermom - the marathon is March 15.

Katla - I'm from Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Hope everyone is staying warm... It's cold here for us southern folk.... I would freeze solid up north!
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

WOW, took me most of the day today to read all of the posts and I didn't stop to take notes. I see lots of new ladies joined and that is exciting to see how many people are taking care of themselves and getting better health for 2014.

It is freezing here in Maryland. We got about 5 inches of snow last night. It is really pretty and most of the dogs love to play in it. For one girl, it was her first snow so she was quite funny walking in it. She would move very slowly and looked like she was trying to keep from having to put her feet down. Once she started playing with the others she seemed to really like it.

Did ok in Dec. and gained only 1/2 pound during the holidays. Today is the first day really getting back to eating under the calories goal and I have to say that right now I'm feeling a little hungry. I will have a cup of hot tea and then off to bed.

January goals:
    - Do the plank at least 3 times a week. Right now I can't hold it longer than 15 seconds. :(
    - Stay within the calories each day. Myfitnesspal just lowered my daily calorie intake
    - Cardio 3 times a week.
    - Lose at least 3 pounds
    - Drink the water at the levels and times someone posted on here in an early post.

Good night and stay as warm as possible
    Tina from MD
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Checking in. Well all my prayers aren't being answered the way I wanted them to. Everyone is in except one family and they only have money for one night at a motel. So basically they will get in in time to get presents under the tree and sit down for our meal. But our winter storm will be starting tomorrow night :sad: and continue into Sunday and Monday. :sad: :sad: 3 families were going to be driving home on Sunday. One is here with us and the other two families, which each have two families...does that make sense? Anyway none of them have enough money to stay another night but I know that we could all pitch in if we needed to. But the problem is they all may need more than one extra night. We might just need to hunker up and have a huge slumber party at our house. We have a big family room! Hope they all brought enough diapers. 4 babies plus my 7 year old grand daughter which is the bounciest person I know. And my youngest daughter took her last Effexor yesterday and she is having out of body experiences. She has been slowly weaning herself off with doctors help. But she is dizzy and really just doesn't feel good. She is one of the main cooks of our meal!!! :sad: :sad: It's just not a good scene here this weekend.

My husband and I both woke up at the same time therefore we weighed ourselves at the same time. Although I am very proud of the 51, almost 52, pound loss, I still see I weigh 20 pounds less than my husband and that is still embarassing. I know I shouldn't feel that way. Maybe it's my mood.

I forget who it was asking for my email so that she could add me when her FitBit problems got taken care of. It's doydie@wowway.com. When I was a little girl they called me Joycie instead of Joyce. Well my little brothers couldn't say my name and called me Doydie. They couldn't say my sister's name, Norma, and they called her Norpy. So I think I at least got the better name.

I guess I shouldn't sound as if I am the only person having weather problems. I think the whole world is this weekend. so I am not alone.

Well I have listened to the depressing weather report so it's time to turn the TV off and take my medicine and turn on my office computer with my quiet music and start slowing my body and brain down. I think I will take a sleeping pill so I will be able to get up at a decent time and start everything tomorrow. If I don't 'see' you again, Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    Good evening Wonderful Women!

Susan - So sorry about your daughter's puppy. I know it would break my "mother's heart" if I couldn't console my daughter at the loss of her dog. Prayers for all...

Today is a day of disappointments and confessions:

I finally did my January 1 weigh-in this morning. Four pounds have crept on since the last time which was Christmas Day. I changed them on my MFP check-in to be reflected on my ticker. :sad:

Someone brought a dozen donuts to work and I failed to resist a Boston cream! :love:

My fitness coach didn't show up this evening. When I got home I found out that his (ex-) wife had been in a car accident. We've rescheduled for tomorrow afternoon at 3:00. I hope to have something better to report after that.

Tomorrow morning I'm going for a walk with a (new to me) meetup.com group that walks in my area. I hope they don't go too fast for me as I am quite out of shape!

We had a beautiful, sunny but chilly day today in Southwestern British Columbia. The roads were a little icy this morning. Thank goodness for studded winter tires!

Have a great evening all,
    Anne, from the Vancouver area, BC, Canada