WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• jmthib58
    jmthib58 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I've been busy working, so haven't had time to go back and read everything. I am new to the community and have enjoyed reading your posts.

Crazy weather here in Mass. It was -7 Saturday morning, a bit warmer yesterday, 55 degrees this morning with rain, and now it's back down to 30 and should be about 9 degrees by morning.

I'm making a tortilla soup recipe from Bon Appetit for supper tonight. Should be just about right for a chilly night :wink: .

I am trying not to focus too much on the numbers on the scale. I'm hoping that by making some small changes, including logging my food (even if I go over), that I'll end up being healthier and losing some weight.

Jeanne
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's me again. Boy, I am such a pest. Too much time on my hands I guess. I'll be glad when I can get back to doing stuff.

Has anybody ever tried dry body brushing? It is supposed to help tighten sagging skin. I thought I might give it a try along with the facial exercises. I don't think it can make it worse than it is now, and I thought I should do something before I lose the last 60 pounds.

Juanita, where the heck is Sudbury? It must be near the arctic circle. I want to put it on my list of places NOT to visit in the winter. Brrrrrrrr!!!!!

Lee in Virginia, my son loves peanut butter cookies too. They used to be my "specialty", or at least I thought they were. When he was about 5, the smoke alarm woke me up about 3am. The battery was going dead. I was standing on a chair taking the battery out when my son stumbled out of his bedroom and said, "Mom, can I have a peanut butter cookie?" I told him I didn't make any cookies, and he said "I know you did! I heard the smoke alarm!"

Back to surfing you tube. Later.

Sylvia
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Margaret .......Paceoh read a book can’t remember which one. That said just the act of pushing the food away from you can be helpful. Were it only that easy.

Don't we wish!!,:wink:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,818 Member
    Options
    just a quick, howdy, got out at 5:15 and went to see my brother, he will be there im guessing another 5-6 days, then the real work starts.. it will be up to him....
    im exsausted,,I have to work early tomorrow to, so im hoping if I get my butt to bed early I can get to the gym before work, then I work until 6 pm,
    see you in the morning:yawn:
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Sylvia sudbury is in northern ontario canada, it is really not a bad city just cold in the winter this year seems more cold days than we like
    But if you ever visit do it in summer lovely lakes , and all activities summer could have , oh the memories.......lol

Juanita
  • alwayssummer
    Options
    Hi All- I'm jumping right in even though I don't quite understand these boards... My name is Amy I live on Martha's Vineyard. I just turned 50 last week. I've been on MFP sporadically for about 3 years maybe. A year and a half ago I had a total hip replacement and right before that surgery, I was in the best shape of my life. I worked out daily because I wanted my muscles fit and strong to bounce back after the surgery. That all happened pretty well as I hoped, but I never really made it back to my former commitment. Fast forward to now - I'm trying to figure out how to reset my starting weight so that I am getting accurate feedback. Anyone know how to do that?

As for my January goals:
    Replace 1 meal (breakfast) with fresh vegetable/fruit juice that I make every day.
    Drink as much water as I can stand.
    Keep my portions small.
    Be intentional.

So far I am doing well! The juicing is good - I'm getting used to the flavor of the juices and I'm enjoying them. I've lost 5 pounds in this first week - I'm sure it's just water and post holiday bloat - but hey, I"ll take it!!

I could really use encouraging friends, and I will be that in return! I'm looking forward to this new beginning!
  • alwayssummer
    Options
    One more thing please? How do I bookmark this board ... not sure I"ll ever find it again!
  • virginialee78
    Options
    Sylvia - that was so cute! Thank you for that story... Put a smile on my face... I've just gotta keep at it and get back on track tomorrow. If I could only just eat one cookie!

I hope I get a chance to read all the posts tomorrow between taking down the Christmas stuff and working out. :smile:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Good grief! i posted I think yesterday morning and holy cow look at how far behind I am already....it's hopeless.

Today was incredibly cold, -36 wind chill, so I rolled over and went back to bed LOL. I don't think many people showed up for work, either! It will all be there tomorrow. So today I am grateful for my warm house with running water and that I don't have to live outdoors like so many homeless people do.

So I am having a major panic fit...I just realized that the first 25% of the test bank for the new nursing textbook has to be done by January 15! Even with 2 of us doing it, that is impossible, so I'm hoping I'll get an extension! I may be working my fingers to the bone! The whole thing has to be done by June 15. OMG I think that, too, is impossible.

Dad fell last night. I can't believe it, but he got his wheelchair in the bathroom and then tried to stand up, and of course can't, so fell. He only got a little skin tear, thank goodness. Then today he passed out while being lifted out of bed. DH went this evening and said for the 2nd time he's seen this, all his food is on the floor along with half his dishes and silverware. I'm going to call them tomorrow and ask that they feed him or at least assist him.

Well I'm going to cut this short...so sorry I am not responding to all of you. Welcome to the newbies, cheers and prayers to those who deserve and need them. Take care all, Meg from Omaha land of the freezer.
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies :flowerforyou:

Some small attainable goals for January:bigsmile:

1: Just M O V E =) Even just a few moments to an hour or more.Starting back to my morning Silver sneakers.
    2: Drink more water.It is so good for you and I found this which further reinforces my commitment to the small easy task (findings below) (I saw this on one of the post in here)
    Drinking water at certain times maximizes its effectiveness on the body. So I’ll try to follow these recommendations: * 2 glasses of water after waking up - helps activate internal organs
    * 1 glass of water 30 minutes before a meal - helps digestion
    * 1 glass of water before taking a bath - helps lower blood pressure
    * 1 glass of water before going to bed - avoids stroke or heart attack.
    3: the big ONE :Laugh and be more forgiving.:heart:

Molly in extremely cold WV
    Thankful I have food and heat.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Good evening,

Catching up on some posts.

Virginialee I’m slowly getting my Christmas put away. It takes me about two weeks to get it out and six to put it away. :laugh: I know it might sound strange but when I started taking fish oil regularly my urge to binge went way down. I also stay away from buffets. Seeing all that food triggers me.

:flowerforyou: Welcome always summer Hope you find us again. Just go to my topics and we should be there.

Patceoh I agree :laugh:

Jeanne sounds like you have a good plan.

Boneella Thanks for the idea of antifreeze hopefully we won’t need that. So far so good. I agree about the pets in the article I read it said treat your pets like yourself if it is too cold for you it is too cold for them and do not leave them in the car just like in the summer when it is too hot.

Jb love the picture. Yes like the word contentment is for me for in 2014. I like what you said about compassion too. Your right it is often easier to be compassionate towards some else than ourselves. I like contentment for me because I will try to enjoy what life brings to me and what I bring to it. I have had my share of heartbreak and struggles over the years. Itis time to give myself permission to enjoy that good cup of coffee.

Goals:
    Limit TV/computer
    contentment

Life is too short for a bad cup of coffee.:drinker:
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I read all the post but didn't take any notes. But for all those concerned about my fur babies. We left them at the animal hospital. Vet left us on a presume it's Pancreatic attack. They will be doing blood tests and xrays and putting them on IVmeds. They were dehydrated as well. So we will be looking at a big bill but hopefully the little guys will be ok.

I can't stop thinking food and I still have a lot of baking around mind you it's in the cold room and I refuse to go there when I'm like this. There's also a big 2 dollar chocolate bar in the cupboard but sure hope it stays there. I'm going to take my little yogurt and go watch some tv.

I should get a call from the vet tomorrow. He said if we didn't hear from him all was well.

See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Meg, what is a 'test bank' for a nursing textbook? Good luck in getting it done. During nursing school I hated those textbooks, but after I graduated I loved them. I guess I needed them as a reference for things I didn't learn during school. As you can guess I didn't make the best student. I guess my nursing was out of instinct.

Well I woke up this evening around 6:30 after my hybernation sleep I always have after a big family thing. I am surprised I was able to make it until last night to go to sleep. Saturday I was so exhausted. At times I just sat and was unable to move an arm. And this is literal. I was looking at pictures my niece put on facebook and in one I looked pretty bad. But it was a happy extreme tiredness! So I slept about 17 hours straight. I was curious to see what my FitBit would show for my sleep last night. And I was pretty silent all night an day long except for 3 bathroom breaks. I do keep a water bottle by my bed because my mouth and throat get really dry. I guess I could have taken my blood sugar when I got up but I was really shaky. I made sure my meal had a lot of protein in it. I just hope I can sleep OK tonight. When my Mom was alive she would always sit by the phone just waiting for me to call when I woke up. Sometimes I just want to call that number and see who owns it now. She also had me call on the way home from a trip, even the short 3 hours to my daughters and then again when I got home.

It is still quite cold here,

Joyce, Indiana
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    My headache lasted until this morning so I had to take the really strong meds. I did read all the posts but no notes. However, I did read about a lady from Essex in UK. We lived in Essex county when dh was stationed at RAF Weathersfield. Lived in Saffron Waldon and Weathersfield. Did ok on my food today. Decided to give myself another week to get completely off sugar. It's really cold so Ithink I'll go to bed. :smooched:
    Sue in TX
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention that I reset my ticker and changed it from pounds lost to pounds left to lose. Just a mind thing.
  • virginialee78
    Options
    Margaret - I think I will try the fish oil... It would be worth a try since nothing else has worked and the omega 3 can't hurt! One time when my husband returned from sea (navy guy) in April, the Christmas tree was still up! :laugh: He still jokes me about that years later... That was interesting about the buffets... That's a definite trigger for me, too.

Can't believe how cold it is everywhere. Be safe... :smile: Lee
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
    :smile: Just wanted to check in and say I got on the scale this morning and woooo hooooo down 6lbs.
    :smile: It feels so good to see the numbers going down again instead of up.
    :flowerforyou: WOW... I remember when I first started MFP I could read all the posts and comment every day....and now I can't keep up with the newbies and the longtimers let alone the posts. I did read the posts but my mind is just too tired to reply. :yawn:
    :heart: I am sending out ((((HUGS)))) and prayers for those struggling with their own health problems and those of their loved ones and pets.:cry:
    :love: sending out congratulations and hugs for success and accomplishments
    :huh: I sit here in Delaware listening to the wind howling and thinking of those in the much colder parts of the country
    :heart: and sending out prayers for everyone to stay warm and safe during the coming days of bad weather.
    :yawn: now time for me to drag my tired butt to bed. Gotta get up and go to work at 5am :yawn:
    Rose sending warm thoughts from Laurel Delaware
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,989 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Virginia, there are two things that worked for me to stay away from crazy eating……I plan my food for the day and agree with myself to eat only what’s on my plan…I am an “abstainer”…….I know how to stay away from cookies and I know how to eat the whole pan/package/box, but I don’t know how to have just one…….the second thing is that I don’t keep food in the house that I can’t eat moderately.
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
    See what you can learn from this experience so it doesn’t happen again.

:bigsmile: Margaret, great cold weather tips…thank you.:flowerforyou: contentment is a great word for 2014……..i may decide to use it next year since I already have my word for this year.

:bigsmile: Bonella, very smart stopping at the gym when you drove by.

:flowerforyou: Jeanne, the scale is not always your friend…..it’s a great idea to focus more on healthy behaviours like logging food and seeking opportunities to be active.

:laugh: Sylvia, great story about the smoke alarm.

:flowerforyou: Amy, welcome……..it’s not too hard to figure this thing out…….if you click on Community then click on My Topics, you’ll see this topic and can get right back to it….don’t click on the name of the topic or it will put you at the beginning, instead click on the word “view” next to the name of the last person to post and you can scroll back to your last post and start reading……..To reset your starting weight, go to My Home, then Check In, then in small print “Edit previous entries” and it will let you change your starting weight…..please keep coming back……MFP and especially this thread will really help you.

:brokenheart: Meg, sorry to hear about your book deadline and your dad’s troubles.

:flowerforyou: Molly, those are awesome resolutions and good things to be grateful for…..i put my furnace on my gratitude list this morning and I’ll put blankets on my list tomorrow.

:flowerforyou: LindaC. Thanks for sharing the news about your doggies……..and keep those tempting treats locked up….drink water instead:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:yawn: :yawn: Joyce, after your great family event, you’re entitled to lots of sleep to recover.

:flowerforyou: Rose, I remember when this thread was smaller and I could reply to everyone but now I love how many of us there are and all the places we come from and all the life experience and wisdom we share with each other.

:bigsmile: I am very excited…..i am finally caught up reading all the posts……I didn’t reply as thoroughly as I wanted but I’ve read every word and had you all in my heart.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington where the weather is cold enough to feel like winter and warm enough for taking long walks even before daylight

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: .16,000 steps today…yoga….planks—front and side

:bigsmile: .My word for 2014 is “Mindful” inspired by “The Happiness Project”….I will seek opportunities to be present in all that I do
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by, we plan to leave for Iowa in the morning. Didn't go today as was to cold. Will be gone until Friday night. Not sure I will have access to computer so hope you all have a good week and stay safe and warm.
    Blessed, Vicki GI NE going to Iowa to welcome new grand daughter, will be grand child number 28
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,097 Member
    Options
    Margaret - I think I will try the fish oil... It would be worth a try since nothing else has worked and the omega 3 can't hurt! One time when my husband returned from sea (navy guy) in April, the Christmas tree was still up! :laugh: He still jokes me about that years later... That was interesting about the buffets... That's a definite trigger for me, too.

Can't believe how cold it is everywhere. Be safe... :smile: Lee

My mom had a dear friend named Hester who believed the Christmas tree should stay up until Easter every year. She did have an artificial one. She also like to sing all three verses to The Star Spangled Banner. She was a hoot. :laugh: As I put away my Christmas trinkets I find some of the ones passed onto me from my mom from her.. Good memory. Thanks for helping me remember her.