Dr Oz 2 Week Weight Loss

Replies

• georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    You need to change eating habits not do strange eating habits for a few weeks. That does nothing but put the weight (plus more) on after you go off the diet. Balance your eating and add exercise and you will reach your goals. Fad diets do not work and only cause frustration when the weight comes back. Your body needs healthy options and stable eating habits. I enjoy the show but that is just what it is, a show to entertain. I do not subscribe to a lot of what he says but every once and a while I pick up a useful piece of information.
  • stormystrickland
    stormystrickland Posts: 190 Member
    my advice would be to use that hour to work out instead of watching Dr. Oz.

:laugh:

I love this. Seriously can't stop laughing.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    I watched the whole segment on this plan and it's really not as bad as everyone is saying. First off, vegetables are carbs and the plan also has legumes (also considered good carbs) on it as well. Every article I've read in the last year talks about how you should cut sugar out of your diet. It's two weeks of eating heavily of vegetables and getting in protein, and fruits in the morning. If I can get myself to get back to eating veggies and more healthy than what I've been doing over all the holidays then that works for me.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine, no one is forcing you to. But don't act like this is so off base. Even WW tries with the zero points to get people to eat more fruits and veggies and during the meetings I went to they also talked of putting protein into every meal and snack you eat to keep you full longer.

I don't see much value in wheat products other than they are convenient.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    I watched the whole segment on this plan and it's really not as bad as everyone is saying. First off, vegetables are carbs and the plan also has legumes (also considered good carbs) on it as well. Every article I've read in the last year talks about how you should cut sugar out of your diet. It's two weeks of eating heavily of vegetables and getting in protein, and fruits in the morning. If I can get myself to get back to eating veggies and more healthy than what I've been doing over all the holidays then that works for me.

If you don't want to do it, that's fine, no one is forcing you to. But don't act like this is so off base. Even WW tries with the zero points to get people to eat more fruits and veggies and during the meetings I went to they also talked of putting protein into every meal and snack you eat to keep you full longer.

I don't see much value in wheat products other than they are convenient.

Did he say what to do after the 2 weeks of doing this were over?
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Yes, he said that you can have unlimited amount of protein and if you want to have dessert to have berries at night. I think if you find that you like how you feel after the two weeks and you want to continue you can. When I was doing well on WW I had very little wheat products and little starchy vegetables. Probably because the points of them were just too high to justify me eating them. The only time I'm able to incorporate them is when I'm back into my exercise regime.

It's important to listen to your body and what it needs. I need to kick myself back into gear so this looks like a way for me to do so and to get myself away from all the sugars that I've been eating over the holidays.

He even said that this is for people who are in a plateau or wanting to start into a healthy eating lifestyle. Of all the detox programs I've seen, this is the most sensible one.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    my advice would be to use that hour to work out instead of watching Dr. Oz.

Spectacularly sound advice. :)
  • 1113cw
    1113cw Posts: 830 Member
    Again, let me reiterate... I have absolutely NO intention of following this as I said in my original post. I already know it's completely unrealistic, for me anyway. I already am trying to incorporate more veggies and protein in my diet and yes, cutting back on carbs (not eliminating them) because that's what works for me personally. As for spending time at the gym instead of watching TV, I go to the gym 6 days a week so workouts are not an issue either.

The post (as the last sentence reads) was to get everyone's OPINION of his advice... nothing more.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    The post (as the last sentence reads) was to get everyone's OPINION of his advice... nothing more.

Well, you're certainly getting that.... :bigsmile:
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    I saw the show and am thinking about doing it. It is actually less restrictive than the Whole 30 or eating very strict paleo, IMO. The OP said you have to "cut out carbs" but that isn't completely true. You are only allowed 1/2 cup of brown rice a day but you can get carbs in other foods (fruit, veggies, yogurt). I would use it as a jump start. I need to see results in order to stay motivated. I' m a very slow loser which is often discouraging. After the two weeks you would not "eat normally" --if you just go back to your usual eating habits/portions, you will end up in the same situation, just like you would if you stopped watching your calories or following whatever other weight loss plan you are following. I am going to enter a sample day into MFP to see how the plan looks in regards to calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc then make a decision as to whether or not to try it.

As for Dr. Oz being a quack or a sell out...in some ways I agree. It does seem like every day he has some food or supplement that will help you lose weight, shrink belly fat, or give you energy. However, I don't always agree that he is promoting all of the guests that he has on the show who are promoting their own books/plans/etc. I think he is just like any other TV show that talks about what is "hot" but since he is a doctor, people assume he is touting that program and get it confused with when he is actually giving advice on his own.

As for carbs causing Alzheimers.....Dr. Oz is not the only one who is linking the two. I have heard Alzheimer's referred to as Type 3 diabetes, and that it is linked with high levels of insulin (not just high blood sugar). Mark Hyman talks about this in his book "The Ultramind Solution". It is a very interesting read.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    dr oz is an idiot and should be ignored..

raspberry ketones anyone?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    I love Dr. Oz and of course, I was interested in his 2 week weight loss plan. But I have to say I'm disappointed. His health advice is usually pretty sound .

This plan cuts out basically all sugar (including alcohol), all carbs (except allowing for a small amount of brown rice each day), all caffeine, all dairy (except for a small amount of unsweetened, low fat greek yogurt each day), red meat and high glycemic veggies. He touts it as a 2 week plan but what happens after 2 weeks when you go back to eating normally.
    Opinions?

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-ozs-two-week-rapid-weight-loss-diet

you gain all the water weight back that you lost…that what happens on day 1, week three ...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    I love Dr. Oz and of course, I was interested in his 2 week weight loss plan. But I have to say I'm disappointed. His health advice is usually pretty sound .

This plan cuts out basically all sugar (including alcohol), all carbs (except allowing for a small amount of brown rice each day), all caffeine, all dairy (except for a small amount of unsweetened, low fat greek yogurt each day), red meat and high glycemic veggies. He touts it as a 2 week plan but what happens after 2 weeks when you go back to eating normally. He also says you can use it as an every day meal plan, beyond the 2 weeks. I honestly don't think this is sustainable for the long run, it's just not realistic in my opinion.

Opinions?

http://www.doctoroz.com/episode/dr-ozs-two-week-rapid-weight-loss-diet

Only brown rice?!?!?

My opinion?

******** RICEIST! ********
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I love Dr. Oz
    His health advice is usually pretty sound .

2md5ilt.png

Edgar! Is it true you died of rabies?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    I saw the show and am thinking about doing it. It is actually less restrictive than the Whole 30 or eating very strict paleo, IMO. The OP said you have to "cut out carbs" but that isn't completely true. You are only allowed 1/2 cup of brown rice a day but you can get carbs in other foods (fruit, veggies, yogurt). I would use it as a jump start. I need to see results in order to stay motivated. I' m a very slow loser which is often discouraging. After the two weeks you would not "eat normally" --if you just go back to your usual eating habits/portions, you will end up in the same situation, just like you would if you stopped watching your calories or following whatever other weight loss plan you are following. I am going to enter a sample day into MFP to see how the plan looks in regards to calories, fat, carbs, protein, etc then make a decision as to whether or not to try it.

As for Dr. Oz being a quack or a sell out...in some ways I agree. It does seem like every day he has some food or supplement that will help you lose weight, shrink belly fat, or give you energy. However, I don't always agree that he is promoting all of the guests that he has on the show who are promoting their own books/plans/etc. I think he is just like any other TV show that talks about what is "hot" but since he is a doctor, people assume he is touting that program and get it confused with when he is actually giving advice on his own.

As for carbs causing Alzheimers.....Dr. Oz is not the only one who is linking the two. I have heard Alzheimer's referred to as Type 3 diabetes, and that it is linked with high levels of insulin (not just high blood sugar). Mark Hyman talks about this in his book "The Ultramind Solution". It is a very interesting read.

You know what's even less restrictive? Eating what you'd normally eat in moderation/smaller amounts.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    There is plenty of research out there that shows that for many people, a calorie is not just a calorie. And even if weight loss is the only goal, health is also important to me. I do not believe that for most people just eating smaller portions of the same junk foods they used to eat is the right answer. To each their own....but am tired of the condescending attitudes such as the one posted above me.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    He touts it as a 2 week plan but what happens after 2 weeks when you go back to eating normally.
    Bingo - temporary changes get you temporary results. Any fad diet that has you eliminate certain foods or groups or to eat a certain way for X amount of time isn't sustainable. I think you answered your own question.

Use MFP - it works, and it's free. Enter your info and goal accurately and realistically, eat your calories, exercise, drink water, take rest days, get good sleep, repeat. And enjoy life while losing the fat - habits that ARE sustainable and effective.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    You know what's even less restrictive? Eating what you'd normally eat in moderation/smaller amounts.

Winner, winner, delicious fried chicken dinner!!! :bigsmile:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    There is plenty of research out there that shows that for many people, a calorie is not just a calorie. And even if weight loss is the only goal, health is also important to me. I do not believe that for most people just eating smaller portions of the same junk foods they used to eat is the right answer. To each their own....but am tired of the condescending attitudes such as the one posted above me.
    But your own condescending attitude is perfectly acceptable?
  • basslinewild
    basslinewild Posts: 294 Member
    I love Dr. Oz. His health advice is usually pretty sound .
    Opinions?

In, because everybody loves Dr Oz.

Womens-World-Magazine.jpg

I actually would like to know how to get on The Dr Oz show.... since I lost 6 lbs in 3 days on The Sloth 3 Day Detox Diet ® . So far, I've gained 5 of 'em back.... but, I don't have to bring that up, do I ?

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Oh, Dr. Oz. I am not a fan. I work in the beauty business and I can't believe the amount of women who come in wanting certain creams that contain certain ingredients because it will erase decades of wrinkles acquired through smoking and bad habits. All because Dr. Oz said it would.

My issue with Dr. Oz is that way too many people put way too much faith in what he says without researching it on their own.

I don't care who it is, do your research. Especially if it doesn't sound right. Get a second opinion. Educate yourself! Don't rely on a TV doctor to solve all your problems and cure you of a lifetime of bad habits.

*end of rant*