you can't lose stomach fat if you don't eat "clean"?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    A lot of people say "abs are made in the kitchen"

Does that mean, eating a deficit? Or does that mean I have to eat super clean in order to see any definition in my abs?

I relatively healthy, but I don't eat "clean".
    Nope, you don't have to eat clean. If you want to lose weight, you can whatever you want to eat, you just need to eat less of it than you burn. That's it in a cake pan....I mean nutshell. :smile:
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Deficit. Tons of people on here have abs and don't eat clean.

Though you need to have a low enough body fat percentage and have enough muscle to be visible.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary from yesterday and tell me if that looks good, food wise.

And thanks for the answers!

you're pretty far under your goal, especially as you worked out, but it looks fine other than that.

I do that on purpose, as I do have a cheat/re-feed day on Saturday.
    But other then that, it looks okay?

Looking at your weekly budget is a great move that way too few people do, IMO. Sounds like you are on quite a good track here. I don't know what your weight training program is like, but for optimum muscle retention in a deficit, try training in the "strength" range of effort (something you can perform 1-6 or so good reps with). The higher intensity stimulus is a better signal to the body that those muscles need to be retained than lower weight/higher rep training schemes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    MY PERSONAL experience is to cut back on carbs, not just eat clean. No alcohol, period and most all of my sugar came from fruit or vegetables when I took this picture. (I am 45 bu the way)

Pretty terrible advice.

Eat at a deficit, get plenty of protein, and do resistance training. You will lose fat.

Thank you. I am not going to cut out carbs, those are essential in my opinion.

I try to get a lot of protein, and weight train about 3 days a week. Thank you! :)
    To be fair: she didn't say "cut out carbs", in fact, she said eat fruits and vegetables.
    Is that necessary? Probably not for most folks. But again, as she said it was HER PERSONAL approach.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    abs are revealed in the kitchen. That doesn't necessarily mean you have to eat 100% clean. It means eat within your macros.

PERSONALLY, I can go "x" amount of time working out, but if my food isn't on point, my abs aren't coming back out. But, I could go same "x" amount of time with my food on point and not hitting the gym every day and the definition will come back.

ETA: I can and unless I am training, do include a snack, like M&M's or Gummy bears on the daily, because they fit in my macros.
  • stefaniemazz
    stefaniemazz Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Can someone look at my diary from yesterday and tell me if that looks good, food wise.

you're pretty far under your goal, especially as you worked out, but it looks fine other than that.

Looking at your weekly budget is a great move that way too few people do, IMO. Sounds like you are on quite a good track here. I don't know what your weight training program is like, but for optimum muscle retention in a deficit, try training in the "strength" range of effort (something you can perform 1-6 or so good reps with). The higher intensity stimulus is a better signal to the body that those muscles need to be retained than lower weight/higher rep training schemes.

Right now I'm doing Focus T25 by beach body, so it's not intense strength training but there is some.

Thanks a lot! Maybe I'll hit the weights a little bit more after I'm done T25 as that workout is only 25 minutes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    a calorie deficit will cut the fat which in turn will reveal the abs and other muscle in your body...of course, you also need to do resistance training/weight training to have muscle and thus abs. You will not be rocking 6 pack abs with crash dieting and hours and hour on the elliptical.
  • Huffdogg
    Options

Right now I'm doing Focus T25 by beach body, so it's not intense strength training but there is some.

Thanks a lot! Maybe I'll hit the weights a little bit more after I'm done T25 as that workout is only 25 minutes.

I have no idea what that workout entails, but if you plan to do any kind of serious weight work, I'd recommend doing that before a more "cardio" or "circuit" type training.
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    That's my point XD, even my post was confusing.
  • Laquincy
    Laquincy Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It's all body fat %...how can muscles show if they are covered by layers of fat...proper diet(stay away from sugars), and exercising and you should see results.
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    It's all body fat %...how can muscles show if they are covered by layers of fat...proper diet(stay away from sugars), and exercising and you should see results.

I'm almost always over on my sugar intake, but only because I eat quite a bit of fruit.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I would say eating clean most of the time with the right workout program to build muscle while burning fat. I have never had a "six pack", but since I've been following a macro based diet the last 2 months, I now see definition in my abs that I haven't seen in years. I aim for 80%+ clean foods that fit into my macros. Good luck.

Well, you can't really build muscle and burn fat at the same time (outside of noob gains), so there's that....
  • Huffdogg
    Options

I'm almost always over on my sugar intake, but only because I eat quite a bit of fruit.

Doesn't matter. Macro > micro
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Only ab work will get you definition in your abs, and you still need to do your cardio and eat fewer calories in order to lose the fat.u need to eat a good, healthy diet with protein and fruits and vegetables for optimal progress. Learn to cook and your weight loss will be so much easier.

No. Only ab work will give you a stronger core, but that can be achived through full body strength/resistance/lifting programs, and you don't need to do cardio.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options

Why sugars?
  • stefaniemazz
    Options
    Also, I use Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10) for my chili instead of Ground Turkey, is that bad?

I know Ground Turkey is healthier because it's lower in fat, but I don't like the taste.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Also, I use Extra Lean Ground Beef (90/10) for my chili instead of Ground Turkey, is that bad?

I know Ground Turkey is healthier because it's lower in fat, but I don't like the taste.

I hate ground turkey. I eat lean beef, chicken, eggs, vegetables, fruit, dairy, bread, pizza, ice cream, chocolate....you get the idea.

I have visible abs. It's about eating enough to fuel your body, but eating at a deficit long term to reduce body fat. Resistance training helps, as does getting in adequate protein.

ETA: I am a woman, not a man (just to clarify).
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

What makes you think ground turkey is "healthier"?

It certainly tastes like crap compared to ground beef.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Don't listen to him. There's nothing wrong with sugar. Quit tracking sugar entirely.
  • raxelita
    raxelita Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing, for me. Eating poorly, which for me *personally* is eating a lot of refined flour and sugar (especially four and sugar combined like in cookies and pastries) and fried foods, and not eating enough fresh vegetables, makes me feel bad. I get bloated, retain water, have less energy, and have a harder time not overeating. When I'm eating well -- primarily sticking to lots of veggies and fruits and eggs, fish, lean meat, beans and whole grains, with little bites of chocolate here and there -- my stomach is way flatter from lack of bloat, I feel satisfied between meals, I sleep better, and I spring out of bed in the morning to work out, and my workout lasts longer and is of better quality. The extra, better exercise I get because of the difference in diet is bringing definition to my abs that would not be forthcoming if I was not eating well.

But if you feel and look totally the same no matter what your diet, well hey well.