What to do with tuna

Options

Replies

• horses1jessi
    horses1jessi Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    All time favorite tuna recipe.. I have used canned tuna to, and it's very good on a budget..

Spicy Asian Tuna Salad

Introduction
    They serve this at the Lifetime Fitness Cafe and it is AMAZING... I asked for the recipe and they printed it off for me. (I switched canned tuna for tuna steaks- I think it is less salty and fresher that way.)
    The original recipe would yield 2Q so I divided everything down to yield 5 servings of 3 ounces each.
    Once prepared - can be eaten as is, go on a salad, in a lettuce wrap or even on a sandwich. It is VERY spicy so beware.
    They serve this at the Lifetime Fitness Cafe and it is AMAZING... I asked for the recipe and they printed it off for me. (I switched canned tuna for tuna steaks- I think it is less salty and fresher that way.)
    The original recipe would yield 2Q so I divided everything down to yield 5 servings of 3 ounces each.

Once prepared - can be eaten as is, go on a salad, in a lettuce wrap or even on a sandwich. It is VERY spicy so beware.

Number of Servings: 5

Ingredients
    Yellowfin Tuna Steaks 16 oz
    Sambal Olek, 2 tbsp (Asian Food Aisle)
    Sesame Oil, 1 tbsp
    Kraft Olive Oil Mayonnaise, 4 tbsp
    Soy Sauce, .5 tbsp
    Kosher Salt, .5 tbsp
    Black Sesame Seeds, .5 tbsp
    Crushed Red Pepper, 1 tsp
    Honey, .5 tbsp
    Cranberries, dried, sweetened (craisins), 0.25 cup
    Green Onion, 2 stalks - use the green part
    Carrots, raw, .25 cup, grated
    Ginger, ground, 1 tsp (raw grated is good too)
    Cilantro, raw, 2 tbsp (I also like fresh basil as a substitute)

Directions
    Cook and flake the tuna steaks (or use canned). Set aside to cool.

In a medium mixing bowl, mix remaining ingredients and wisk until sauce is smooth.

Once tuna is cool, add to the sauce and toss well.

Cover and place in the fridge overnight.

Use within 3 days (not including the prep day).

Number of Servings: 5

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=743210
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    Eat it out of the tin. xD It's awesome.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I eat it out of the can.
  • chloesmom77
    chloesmom77 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    :smile: bump
  • mchahanovich
    mchahanovich Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jackson7478
    jackson7478 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    bump; lots of good things to try. I love tuna. Thanks for all the ideas. I'm not very creative when it comes to cooking.
  • carolhama
    Options
    Okay this may sound weird. However, you just soak the tuna in plain old white vinegar and throw on some pepper and eat it out of a bowl. For some reason my Dad thought this was a great snack and I got hooked. I love all your other suggestions. Some nice twists to a classic favorite.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    http://www.food.com/recipe/tuna-patties-low-calorie-low-fat-428939

This recipe was delicious. I used light mayo. Even my mom (who is a finicky eater - she doesn't typically like low calorie things) ate them all up. They were a hit.

I, also, admit that I'm a sucker for the classic tuna noodle casserole. Those zero noodles (if you can stand the texture) cut the calories down. (I only say this as... if you're like me, you'll want to go back for seconds. Pre diet, on tuna noodle casserole days, I could easily consume 800 calories on it alone)

I love tuna in general, though. So, I have no qualms against eating it like... straight out of the can. Spread on a cracker or a stalk of celery.. and bon appetit.

ETA: I almost forgot about this one! And it tasted a lot better than one would think.

Half a can - 1 can of tuna (depending on how big you want the meal to be), mixed with about a cup of lettuce/spinach/other greens, a cup of carrots and tomatoes, 1-2 tablespoons of salsa, and an egg. I literally just threw this together one day. Mixed it all together and had a pretty decent tasting lunch.
  • deedee85
    deedee85 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Loraluvs
    Loraluvs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HRLaurie614
    HRLaurie614 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make hickory smoked tuna...

Water packed tuna, light mayo, relish, liquid smoke, and paprika....it's all pretty much to taste; the "wetness" of the relish binds the tuna together so you can use less mayo...I usually eat it with some bagel chips. Filling yummy lunch.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Tuna Salad Puttanesca Style
    Source: Soup Spice Everything Nice
    Serves 3 – 4

Ingredients

12 oz can light tuna in water, drained and flaked
    1 small shallot, finely chopped
    1 roma tomato, chopped
    2 tsp capers
    1 Tbsp kalamata olives, sliced
    1 handful flat leaf parsley, chopped
    1 Tbsp olive oil, or to taste
    1 tsp white balsamic vinegar
    1/4 tsp Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb Seasoning
    1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
    1/4 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    1/8 tsp red pepper flakes, or to taste

Optional garnish for serving:
    3 – 4 roma tomatoes

Directions

In a medium bowl combine all ingredients stir mixing well until all ingredients are well distributed. Taste for seasoning, adjust if necessary. Cover and place in the refrigerator to chill. (It is delicious just mixed but if you chill it a while the flavors will blend a little more.)

For serving: Remove the tops from the roma tomatoes, turn cut side down and cut into quarters leaving the bottom 1/4” still attached. It should open up like a flower. Fill the center of each tomato with tuna salad.
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options
    Ive been putting it on top of my salads!! spinach tomatoes red onions and cheese with your favourite dressing
  • TamaraF79
    TamaraF79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump bump...great ideas...thanks!:happy:
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Add a tablespoon of good quality balsamic vinegar and a handful of chopped parsley.
    spread on a wrap and serve with a salsa dip.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I do garlic, seasonings (whatever you like) 1 tablespoon of mayo and then eat with crackers. SO NOM!!
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I hate mayo so had always only ever used tuna on top of a salad wit balsamic vinaigrette. Then I found this and I now can eat Tuna sammiches again!!

Can tuna in water drained
    4 Tbsps of Hummus (original)
    1 Tsp lemon
    1 tbsp. chives
    1-2 stalks celery chopped
    1/4 C chopped onion
    Pepper and/or salt to taste

Mix up the tuna then put it on pumpernickel bread
  • beaches222
    beaches222 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    bump