Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kinnurse0754
    kinnurse0754 Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies. Sunday share is very exciting this week. I got on the scale for the first time since starting back on MFP. I'm down 16 pounds this morning. I'm very excited because it brings me about half a pound under 300 pounds which was my goal weight for the end of the month . I'm going to reset my goal. I am flying out to my son's in February so want to reset to be 295 by the time I go out. I think that's pretty reasonable. I'm aiming to lose 1- 1.5 lbs a week.
    Unfortunately, I'm still under the weather this morning and after exercising I started feeling sick to my stomach and I can't tolerate any food.I think I'm going to go back to bed for awhile and see how I feel when I get back up again. Hope everyone is having a better day than I am.
  • JNettie73
    JNettie73 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Quick check in to share this with you in case anyone is interested.

I was browsing Groupon a few minutes ago and came across a dvd deal. It was for The Firm Express 30 day fitness DVDs, Fitness Guide and Nutrition Plan for $18.99. I am a dvd workout junkie so I jumped on the computer to see what this was. Here is a link to the Firm website for this product.

http://www.firmdirect.com/firm/ecs/main/firm-express-get-thin-in-30.html#about-wave

I am going to browse Groupon a bit more before officially deciding. The deal expires in 6 days. Though I think I may buy this and try it out when I am done with my Gilad routine. Worst thing that can happen is I don't like them and give them away.

Edit: To add I ended up ordering it. It came out to $23 and change with tax and shipping.

I also found this deal if anyone is looking for a digital scale
    https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-digital-kitchen-scale-3
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    @Nettie~I forgot until just now to look at my scale, its called Eat Smart - it measures weight, BF%, water weight, and muscle weight - found it on Amazon for around $50 several months ago. It got great reviews and so far no complaints from me - works great.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

@kelley--Oh poor Zoe! I'm glad she wasn't hurt--hope that little scare teaches her to stay off the stove!

@nettie--thanks for all of the links! My knee has been feeling better the past few days. We'll see how today's workout affects it. As far as running shoe brands--there a lot of good ones out there, but which are best depends on your feet. I would highly recommend going to a specialty running store to get fitted. You find out a lot about which brands and styles are right for you. For example, New Balance are very popular and a great brand, but I can't wear them b/c they don't fit my feet properly--my feet slide forward in them. Also, they showed me how to bend the shoe to see how rigid the sole it--I need it to be very rigid b/c I need extra arch support due to previous flare ups of plantar fasciitis. The shoes I bought at the specialty store were a bit more expensive, but totally worth it for the information. Plus, now I don't have to go back there every time I need new shoes b/c I know what to look for at outlets or online. My personal favorite brands are Asics and Saucony, but I currently have a pair of Addidas that I like a lot as well.

@tracy--so glad you are feeling better! :flowerforyou:

@mel--I'm not loving winter either--and it's definitely NOT a first for me! :laugh: I :heart: Chicago, but if I ever move to a warmer climate, I certainly will not miss the winters here.

@susan--that's so nice that you met up with a fellow MFPer--glad it was a good walk. I could never go with out my scale! I've read too many studies that say weighing daily is better. I trained myself out of obsessing over the daily fluctuations by only changing my MFP weight when the scale drops below my previous lowest weight. Now, I have to remind myself to weigh or I'll forget--that's how NOT obsessed I am with my scale. :laugh:

@charlotte--sorry you are still feeling ill, but hooray for that SV!! :drinker:

AFM--I had a really good workout. Decided to do a deload session with the weights b/c of the knee (and my shoulder has been achy as well--I'm just falling apart!! :laugh: ). Anyways, I dropped down to just the bar (45 lbs) for overhead press and upright row and to just 60 lbs for squats and deadlifts. I also did some other lower weight machines for triceps, plus all of my normal ab work.

Afterwards I did 20 minutes on the treadmill. I tried the "weight loss" program at level 7 and I liked it. It was a mix of walking flat, walking on incline, and running flat. I broke a sweat, but it was a smidge too easy, so next time I will try level 8. Afterwards I did 30 minutes on the elliptical where I really worked up a sweat. Over 800 calories burned which is more than I've done in one gym visit in quite some time. :drinker:

Gunner's toe is the same--he got a very quick walk around the corner and back b/c he started limping. He's such a dumb dumb, he kept standing on the wounded foot and lifting the other leg to pee. :tongue: Now I'm off to shower and then starbucks to grade.

Grading goals:
    1. 2/72 AP essays
    2. 65/72 AP journals
    3. write rec letter
    4. x/52 Scarlet Letter annotations
    5. x/16 AP analysis activities
    6. x/52 JRP journals

Exercise goals:
    Mon--gym (cardio) DONE
    Tues--gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (cardio)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 85
    Dead lift = 90
    Squat = 90
    Overhead press = 55
    Upright row = 60

Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Debbie--You don't say how long you have been doing this or how much you have to lose. Typically, the soonest you can expect to see a real change or have others notice what you have accomplished is after you've lost about 10% of your weight. You might just be getting impatient, and we all do that.
    Today we finally got to go Costco shopping. Its been a couple of months as our Costco is about 60 miles away. I really needed to stock up. We had lunch at a salad buffet, so I did okay there. The thing that always kills me on Saturday is our traditional waffle breakfast with the family. There are usually 10-12 people and some days I just can't resist a cup of the homemade cocoa. I did come in under today anyway, because I also had salad for dinner, and I got in a good 2 mile walk.
    My NSV for today is that I have finally posted a couple of before pictures on my profile. They were both taken more than 2 years before I started to lose weight, but they are the most recent ones I have. It has been my practice to be sure that I am the one taking the pictures. I hadn't gained more than 5-10 pounds in that time, so they are pretty accurate. It amazes even me to see how different I look. The others in the pictures are my father and my sisters. The more formal one was taken at my stepmother's funeral and is of my whole family. The other one was taken on my front porch when some of the family came for DS's wedding in July, 2010.
    I hope all of the furbabies are recovering, and that those of you who are struggling with depression will find some encouragement and relief. Take care of all of those sore muscles and injuries.
    Have a great Sunday. Onward and downward. Kaye

wow!! what a difference!!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Finished the letter of recommendation for my favorite student ever. Now to grade some papers. Blech.

Grading goals:
    1. 2/72 AP essays
    2. 65/72 AP journals
    3. write rec letter DONE
    4. x/52 Scarlet Letter annotations
    5. x/16 AP analysis activities
    6. x/52 JRP journals

Exercise goals:
    Mon--gym (cardio) DONE
    Tues--gym (lift and HIIT) DONE
    Wed--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Thurs--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) NOT DONE
    Fri--walk gunner NOT DONE
    Sat--walk gunner + gym (cardio)
    Sun--walk gunner DONE + gym (lift and HIIT) DONE

Exercise & Weight:
    Bench press = 85
    Dead lift = 90
    Squat = 90
    Overhead press = 55
    Upright row = 60

Overhead tricep extension = 25 (dumbbell)
    Bicep curl = 15 (dumbbell)
    Lat pull down = 100
    Tricep pull down = 90
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Sunday Share: I'm Susan, 45, mom to an 11 1/2 year old son, Cyrus and we live in Henderson, NV, which is a suburb in Las Vegas. I'm the Director of Supply Chain & Quality Assurance for Capriotti's Sandwich Shop. I joined MFP in August 2012 and found this thread, which I've been following ever since. I've lost 50 lbs and there's been so many ups and downs, but I'm slowly learning. It's not a race. While I wish this 100 lbs would come off sooner, this just hasn't happened for me and I'm OK with that. I will just keep doing what I'm doing and hopefully it will start coming off again.

I'll do personals tomorrow. I'm a bit exhausted. My closet has been a disaster for months so I finally took the time and cleaned. I've got a pile for Goodwill. I've got a ton of dress clothes I'm donating to Dress for Success. I know plus size clothes are always needed and I have plenty of business suits that don't fit anymore (thank goodness) plus skirts, blouses, etc. . . I got a good work out done at the gym this afternoon. I haven't really eaten all day just wasn't hungry, but we are going out for Italian at Carraba's tonight so I might eat all my calories for dinner. Oh well. It should be yummy.
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Kaye- The pictures are wonderful, what an amazing difference. You look wonderful

Nettie and Kinnurse- I hope you feel better soon.

Kelley- I hope Zoe is okay. She must really like steak, hopefully she has learned her lesson about jumping on the stove.

Nettie-I agree with Karen about going to a speciality store for running shoes. It totally made a difference with the shoes I wear. I also like Oasics and New Balance. I usually end up getting inserts for my shoes because I need the extra arch support. I have heard good things about the C25K app, but you may want to consider working with a runner for a few visits. This will help you to develop the proper running form and the drills that support running. When I started running, my trainers did not know how to run and just told me to run. Running was not my favorite thing so I did not learn to do it right. My current trainer is teaching me the proper running form and now we are working on correcting the mechanics of my run. This is helping to run easier and to get faster. It really does make a difference.

Karen- Great workout today. Good luck with the paper grading. I still need to do that this weekend but just not motivated to start. :grumble:

Debbie- I agree with everyone else advice. Watch what you are eating but try to eat more and don't skip meals. My trainer gave me the following advice: largest meal: Breakfast, smallest meal: dinner, lunch is smaller than breakfast. Food is fuel that your body needs to function. Welcome to the group.

Susan- Glad you meet another MFP'er. It is always fun to meet people face to face and better yet to find a workout partner.

Welcome to all the new people!

I found my scale at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $30.00. It also tracks BF, BMI, Water and a few other things. I also weigh every day which gave me the opportunity to recognize patterns and not to stress over daily changes.

Share- I am 43 and teach middle school science in Maryland. Started this process in earnest three years ago. The first year and a half I lost most my weight, now I have been maintaining or gaining/losing the same 5-10 pounds. The good news is I am back under 200 but now I want to get under 188. That is the lowest weight I remember being and that was from 8th grade so many moons ago. That may not be my final weight but I hope that this year the weight will decide to come off again. The inches are coming off so that makes me happy.

My workout today consisted of walking the track at the gym. My friend and I did not have the motivation to do a hard workout today. I was okay with this since I had a long workout yesterday.

I updated my ticker to reflect my current weight. So now, I can watch it go back down again.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Its Monday in Australia,

Disappointed that I didn't lose and in fact appear to have gained yesterday.
    Felt bitterly disappointed but am over it 24 hours later.
    Its one of those tings.
    I am not doing rigorous exercise due to a knee injury and wont be until I am lighter, however I may try something like water aerobics if things continue to stall.
    Can't complain I have lost every week for four months.
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Hi y'all! Crazy few days at work and home... I have a coworker who is out with all sorts of ailments (bless her heart), and have been covering a couple of her accounts. Her accounts are far more demanding than mine, and contact me at all hours (I turn my phone off around 10 or 11 on weekends, so too bad for them after that time). It's a great job, but sometimes a bit demanding, I am finding. Then yesterday was playoffs.... GO SEAHAWKS! So, of course, I lapsed on my dairy free days. :blushing: I am a bit disappointed, but the food was SO good... and not entirely unhealthy, except that I was so busy that I didn't log a bite! :blushing: I didn't have a reaction to the food though. I am wondering if it the lack of coffee that is improving my stomach.

I have a lot of reading to catch up on, from the last few days. I'll have to be more personal when I get caught up with that and have a bit more time and energy.

I did see the link for the scale (on sale)- Thanks for posting that, Karen!!! :drinker:

Everyone else- stay happy and healthy! You know what to do... do it with love in your heart and a smile on your face, and it will go much easier :drinker:
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Roar- Water aerobics is one of my favorite exercises. It is a great low impact workout. Do you have an option of deep water aerobics? I find that deep water can be very challenging. I also enjoy swimming laps in the pool, which is also low impact but a good cardio workout. Don't stress about the possible gain, it could be water weight or a high sodium intake day. So drink plenty of water then weigh again in a day or two and see what happens. Welcome to the group.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hilow everyone. Today has been a fairly good day. I got a nice walk in with the dogs and my son. I then got a lot done around the house and made some yummy soup for dinner. I also made some really good garlic cheese flatbread so thank goodness I hadnt eaten alot leading up to dinner:laugh: My son and I are now watching the lord of the rings trilogy which we have seen many times thus my ability to do this as well.

Kah I am happy to hear Zoe is ok. That had to be scary though while it was happening.
    Karen sorry Gunner is hurting. Hopefully the vet will be able to fix him right up tomorrow.
    Kaye your pics are amazing, you should be very proud.
    Welcome to all the new faces.

Sunday share: my name is Tammy and I am a wife and mother of three grown children. I have been overweight since puberty but it has gotten worse with each pregnancy and then completley out of control while I was experiencing some health problems the last few years. I have been on MFP for a little over a year and lost a nice chunk. I kind of coasted through the summer but am back at it strong and doing what I know works. I hope to be down around 250 by the end of this summer so i can enjoy all the fun with my family this year. Well got to get back to middle earth. Have a great night everyone.:drinker: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • SeeLShrink
    Options
    Hey everyone!

Today was actually pretty warm, 48 degrees! So I chose to forgo the gym and took my fur baby on a nice long walk. It was so nice to get some fresh air, and Dallas had a blast! He got all nice and muddy, so it was bath time when we got home. I'm going to get a yoga session in before bed, and then cross this day off :flowerforyou:

Tomorrow I'm planning on getting to the gym, not sure what I'll do there, it'll depend on when I get off work. Would it be too much to hope to make it to kickboxing?? LOL!

Sunday - I made an appt with my doc for the end of the month, hoping to talk to her about the cholesterol, but the main reason I scheduled it was to talk about my anxiety. I've always had issues with it, but have been able to manage. Lately though it's been more difficult and my family has noticed. So, I guess it's time to talk about it and maybe get it under control. I've also been paying attention to my diet more, trying to eat less carb and cholesterol filled things. Any ideas for good things to eat would be welcome!

That's about it, hope everyone has a good Monday tomorrow!

Lauren
  • FootballKate1
    FootballKate1 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone - my name is Kate and I want to lose 185 lbs. That is very hard to see - it is just as daunting to type it as it feels. I joined MFP a year or so ago because a friend sent me the link but I did nothing. I have been heavy my whole life and have done every diet out there. I am married to a wonderful man and have 3 sons. I am also raising my late brother's 3 children - 1 nephew and 2 nieces, plus my parents also moved in with us (my dad passed 2.5 yrs ago). It is crazy here all the time but it is a wonderful crazy. Dinner is like Thanksgiving and I tend to make many unhealthy meals to keep costs down.

I have just retired after 35 yrs of work because we were offered an excellent package. So here I am 53 yrs old, and 335 lbs. without work as an excuse. I have decided I am going to work on me now. I have been doing low carb for 4 days and so far, so good. I really like what I see on this sight and think it will help me.

I hope I am posting this right because I really don't know what I am doing on here yet!
  • sbear867
    sbear867 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody...my name is Sara.

I have 3 month old twins plus 3 more kids in my crazy loud blended family. I have always been heavier than I would like but after the birth of my twins I'm sitting more than a hundred pounds away from my goal weight. I really love to cook and I a sucker for a fresh hot cookie. I'm hoping to be down 75lbs by next Christmas and run my first half marathon.

this months goal....in conjunction with the Spartan challenge I'm walking/running a mile a day. So far 8 days, 8 miles
  • heatheraugust03
    heatheraugust03 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I JUST RESTARTED JANUARY 1ST, 2014. MY 1ST WEIGH IN WAS 227.9 AND ALREADY AT 220.6! IM SUPER EXCITED TO DO THIS...AGAIN. BUT HEY I'M BACK.
    I'M A MOTHER OF 3 BOYS AND HAVE A WONDERFUL HUSBAND. IN 2012 I WAS DIAGNOSED WITH CIN 2 BEFORE MY 3RD CHILD, WHICH HAS CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER. WE DECIDED TO HAVE OUR 3RD AND LAST CHILD DUE TO THIS. IT WAS A HUGE EYE OPENER TO ME. NOW ITS TIME TO BE HEALTHY AND BE THAT "SKINNY GIRL" THAT I HAVE NEVER BEEN. IM SO PUMPED WITH ALL THE INSPIRATIONAL STORIES AND PICTURES AND THE TREMENDOUS SUPPORT.
    FEEL FREE TO ADD ME, AND MAKE ME ACCOUNTABLE AS I TRY TO HELP YOU SUCCEED IN YOUR JOURNEY ALSO!

THANKS
  • debbiezag
    debbiezag Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone- I didn't realize my diary was closed off completely! I will look into it and see how to change those settings. In the meanwhile, I do notice that I am netting under 1200 calories daily regardless of my workouts- I feel too guilty to eat when I have to log everything. Anyone else feel that way?
    I can say this- that I accurately measure and log all my food- even the Fri/ Sat dinners - I just log them afterward and sometimes overestimate just to be sure. I've also realized that as a result of this I am drinking way too little water and I am hoping that by upping my fluid intake, I can take some of the bloating off :)

thank you for the wonderful advice! keep 'em coming :)
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Good Evening. I am so excited to see so many new people dedicating themselves to becoming healthier. I'm moving pretty slowly right now, but my first year was very rewarding. It was hard for me to post my before pictures, but I'm really glad that I did. I surprised myself with how much I have changed. Thank you to my MFP friends for your kind words.
    Kate, I have a lot of family and am cooking for a group all of the time. I've found that portion control is my best friend in this. I try to keep fruit around for snacks. It seems expensive, but in reality it costs a lot less than the M&Ms and other 'treats' I used to buy. I'm a sucker for a warm cookie, too, but 1 cookie is surprisingly low in calories. Those who have been here for the duration with me know that I haven't done anything fancy. I don't worry about macros. I just count the calories. I don't have a gym membership or any gadgets. I just walk.
    I've been thinking about the reasons why the 1200 calories worked so well for me. I think that my size (5ft 1in.) and my age, 69, were factors which made me need less calories. Also, those calories were carefully chosen. I don't drink alcohol at all and I am not a fast food eater. The only time we get fast food is when we are out of town at lunch time and need to grab something. That doesn't happen very often.
    For the new ones, I am Kaye, the eldest of this group. I have a large family. They play a significant role in my daily life. You'll see me posting about them alot. I am doing this so that I can enjoy the precious years that I have left with my family. Last week I realized that I am much closer to my goal that I had thought. It is encouraging and scary at the same time.
    Today I got in my walk by walking to and from church. I just put my shoes in my shoulder bag, put on my boots and went for it. I got caught in a light rain on the way home. My coat has a hood so I was fine. It was really a nice way to get in a 3 mile walk. This evening I had all of the family who live close by, 19 of us, over for a farewell party for GD who is going back to college tomorrow after her Christmas break. We just had popcorn and visited. GD who will soon be 14 helped me pick the pattern for her cross stitch. It won't be as large or as complicated as her brother's phoenix, thank goodness.
    Well, here's to a great week for all of us. Onward and downward. Kaye
  • p1xyn1xy
    p1xyn1xy Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Hi Naomi, a lot of people have issues with sweeteners. I'm not one of them. lol! I find them a great tool to sometimes have something sweet without blowing your numbers out the window.
    Charlotte, hope you are feeling better.
    Laurie, that drive sounds brutal... glad you made it safely! :)
    Kaye, your routine may not be exciting but you keep doing it. You must enjoy it and that's all that matters!!! Sounds like you had a nice evening with family.
    Susan, I hope you had a nice walk and met someone really nice. :)
    Kah, congrats on the loss!!! That's a nice drop! I'm glad your kitty's ok... that must of scared you too!
    Karen, I hope Gunner's foot is ok.
    tlh: I hope your night out... has you feeling a bit better.
    Debbie: your MIL help, is not the type of help I'd like. I'd find it more critical than helpful. I'm impressed that you can see a positive spin in it. When I do Jillian... I saw more body definition and loss of inches. The actual movement on the scale wasn't very impressive. You might want to try something with a bigger cardio burn or increase weights if you can get through the exercises w/ the 3 lb with little burn. You're obviously working hard!!!
    Mel: I normally like winter too... but this weather has bee gross this year. What a great revelation you had!! Low carb can be very affective, the difficulty lies in adjusting to a maintenance diet when your done.
    Nettie: I wanted it when I was at my highest weight... I kept injuring myself exercising (and not that strenuously) and then wouldn't be able to do much of anything at all. I was in some serious pain and it was starting to look like the only viable solution.
    But the preliminary classes they sent me to helped a lot.. so did MFP. My husband also had emergency gastro reconstruction surgery this past summer. It's was scary and I'm not sure I could put him through that now that I've lost this weight myself. But the clinic is excellent and WLS is supposed to be the final tool they go to. I think I will learn tons and it will be amazing. I enjoy the challenge of this, and I don't think anyone really WANTS surgery. They just feel that the other options aren't working for them.
    Welcome to all the Newbies!!!
    AFM: Sunday Sharing: I'm married and have three kids (8,6,3), who keep me very busy. My mother also lives with us since my stepfather passed away 2 years ago. I'm a cook by trade and a baker by hobby. Much to my family's delight. I've been overweight since I was 13 but I can always remember my father making comments even younger. Though looking back in pics there was nothing wrong with that girl... she just wasn't slim. I've lost weight many times but this time I feel really motivated and almost certain that I can do it. MFP and this thread is an amazing source of support.
  • BettyJoCan
    BettyJoCan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Very frustrated this morning...weighed in and I'm up 3.5 lbs - that the same exact amount that I lost last week : / I don't understand honestly. I even started exercising more this week. This doesn't mean I'm giving up, just means I'm feeling VERY BUMMED!