Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Robin, sorry you are in pain again. Hopefully, the meds will kick in and get you back to feeling better soon.
    Yesterday was a great day. Church in the morning, followed by a really nice baccalaureate service for the graduating seniors. The speakers were very good. They both emphasized how important it is to find our purpose in life and reach out to others in order to make the world a better place. In the evening, we attended Michelle's seminary graduation. She has attended her seminary class (religious instruction and scripture study for high school age kids) every morning at 5:30 for 4 years. Super proud of her.
    Yesterday was a better day on the food front. I stayed under calories for a change. I think that I will continue to struggle until I get home and get back into my own routine. I will hardly have time to do that before I will be going in for surgery.
    Have a super day. It sounds like there were some pretty productive people out there this weekend. Good job. Kaye
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was a great day. Church in the morning, followed by a really nice baccalaureate service for the graduating seniors. The speakers were very good. They both emphasized how important it is to find our purpose in life and reach out to others in order to make the world a better place. In the evening, we attended Michelle's seminary graduation. She has attended her seminary class (religious instruction and scripture study for high school age kids) every morning at 5:30 for 4 years. Super proud of her.

awesome! i was my school's baccalaureate speaker. i joined the church later in life but i was always very religious with whatever church happened to be closest to my house. it was a great experience. it was small though. i guess not a lot of religious people at my school :laugh: i went to seminary once with someone from my school. i was like, 'dude it's 5 am. all you mo' peeps be crazy' lol.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I did not do very well with Amy gone. I weighed 272 this morning which is up almost 10lbs. again. I want to make it into the 250’s (259.999 counts) so that is my next goal.

I am going to defiantly change my snacking this time. I had a pretty bad weekend. I had to take my car to be fixed because it was making a really loud bad sounding noise. I took it to the place I normally go to and some drunk guy crashed into the power transformer and took out the power.:grumble: I took it to the next closest place that had power. It needs a new fan by the radiator but their parts place was on the same grid of power that got crash into.:noway: After waiting for hours to get that far I still could not get it fixed without the new fan. :frown: Good news is the place just called and it is all fixed!:drinker: The other good news is the Home Depot guy just left and I now have a garage door that not only opens with the remote but closes too! :drinker: Amy said that went smooth, so I am poorer but it will be nice not to have to get out of my car in the driveway and push the button then run to get out while jumping the sensor beam and not whacking my head on the closing door. I think my neighbors laugh at the fat old guy jumping the beam and ducking the door.:laugh:

I was pretty inactive on the weekend sitting at the repair place. I was going to walk around but it was 110 degrees out there.:devil:

Quote of the day: - “The significant problems we face cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them.” ~Albert Einstein

Hope everyone has a healthy day!

Tom
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Toots, You make me laugh. I guess we are crazy sometimes. Considering the size of Michelle's school, the baccalaureate was very small. It was really good, though.
    I've got her reading "Glitch" today. I told her she needed it for her information and education.
    Kaye
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @tom--sorry about all of your car issues; that sounds like quite a rigamarole just to get a fan belt! I'm glad we got our wish for Hawks/Bruins playoffs. I suppose we will be mortal enemies for the next week or so. :laugh: Regardless, I wish you luck with the changes in your snacking. I bought a bag of those dreaded Doritos yesterday. :grumble: Clearly, I need to stop doing that!

@kaye--glad you enjoyed your grand's graduation!

@robin--yes, I took my measurements and was sad to see they were up a bit from when I last took them in December. :cry: At least I now have a true reference point for 30 DS. I also took some "before" pictures, and though I don't plan to share them, at least I'll be able to see the difference (I hope!). Sorry you are in pain--hope the meds get you back to "normal" quickly. Oh, and 30DS has lots of squats--I think of you while I'm doing them. :smile:

@toots--I would rather bake than boil too--but my eyes were so red while in Vegas, I looked like I was on drugs the whole time. :laugh:

@tina--great job getting up early to do Day 4! Good luck in your summer classes too--I know it's a lot of work, but you just have to keep thinking about the end-goal! :flowerforyou:

@kelley--glad your back is healing and you have been able to do some light workouts.

@alison--yeah, I originally had my MFP goal set for the top end of healthy as well. Then I realized I had done the math wrong and was off by 10 lbs (there's a reason I teach English Literature! :laugh: ). Anyways, when I went to fix that error, I decided to go for 10 lbs below the top of the healthy range, so right now my goal is set for 150 lbs. WHEN I get there (do you see what I did there?), I will also re-assess the end goal. I've kind of already decided that my goal will be based on clothing size rather than weight. I just really want to get to single-digit pants (size 8). I'm sure that will be pretty thin for me (I have a very large frame), and not sure I can really maintain that, but I want to at least get there and see what it's like. The last few pair of pants I've bought have been 12's, so slowly but surely...

@tracy--yes, you caught me--I HATE doing the bathroom floor! Finally got it done today though.

Monday Check in:
    I was planning a gym visit today, but the weather was still relatively nice so I ran outside instead. Tomorrow is supposed to be upper 80's so will go to the gym then. I need to update my Virtual TranAmerica trail, but I'm currently on my work laptop and don't have the site saved in my favorites. Will have to wait until I get home to update my mileage.

Right now I'm at starbucks reading some more of Catch 22.

Exercise Goals:
    Mon--walk gunner DONE + gym RAN outside instead
    Tues--walk gunner + gym + 30 DS
    Wed--walk gunner + 30 DS
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner + 30 DS
    Sat--walk gunner+ run + 30 DS
    Sun--walk gunner + 30 DS

To do:
    1. Scrub bathroom floor DONE
    2. Clear clutter on dining table (did some)
    3. Drop off bag of clothes to Good Will
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I'm in Dallas; the housing market is pretty good here - I'm very lucky that the neighborhood I live in is and has been doing well with buying/selling. Apt. and town home rent is not too bad and my son just finished his first year of college so I don't need to worry about staying near a good school and I just don't need a big house anymore.

Where are you?
    [/quote]

Las Vegas. I moved here a year ago from Atlanta. I didn't buy anything immediately because I had a house in Atlanta to sell. It took 4 months so that was not fun paying mortgage AND rent for 4 months, but it did sell and I did OK. I just wish I would have bought something right then because the market has definitely turned out here. It's not pretty that's for sure.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Super busy weekend so didn't have time to jump on, but I've read through the pages and feel caught up on everyone's posts. It's always good to know I'm not alone and how other people battle just like I do. I'm human too - Woo Hoo!!! LOL!!

Sunday Share: I'm Susan and 44-years old. Was married for almost 10 years, but decided I needed to give my son a better chance at becoming a "real" man and became a single parent. Cyrus was only 2 at the time, but he just turned 11 and finished elementary school. Middle school in the fall - God help me!! We just moved a year ago from hot Atlanta to even HOTTER Las Vegas. We love it! This journey has been a roller coaster for me, but I'm holding on and trying to take it one day at a time.

Monday Check-In: Weekends are definitely super hard for me. I do great Monday thru Friday, but those two days seem like a free for all. I need to stop! I get caught up in cleaning, errands and then relax by the pool (which is very nice), but then I realize I haven't eaten all day and feel famished. I then completely pig out. I need to fix a decent breakfast like eggs, turkey bacon, etc. . . to tie me over so I'm not pigging out later. I know what I need to do I just need to DO IT!!!
  • lmackbethl
    lmackbethl Posts: 156
    Options
    @tracy - Niantic is so beautiful! I think Tom hails from that neck of the woods. I used to live down on the shore, in New London and Groton, but when I started graduate school, I moved inland to Storrs. Perhaps we will pass each other in the kayaks. :smile:
    @kelley - Glad your back is feeling better. Take it easy, though... no need to push it too hard on the steps. :wink:
    @robin - Good Grief, Woman, take care of yourself!!! :flowerforyou: Hope you feel better soon.
    @marca - your country living sounds like my dream-world! I want a tiny house or yurt on an organic farm with a big pond... trying to make it happen with a friend... hopefully buy the land next year. We're going to look at some places in Vermont in July, just to see what's out there.
    @kris - holy crap, just reading about your cleaning-spree made me tired. :noway:
    @karen - you'll be seeing those flower-crowned cows in no time! :happy:
    @laurie - we're in the home-stretch now!!! :drinker:
    @alison - my ticker hasn't adjusted to reflect my most recent losses either. :explode: very frustrating as it should be five pounds further along. :happy:
    @tammy - enjoy your time with hubby! I hope it crawls along!

Ok, so I have a question for all you mega-exercisers out there. How do you log? My diary is set to "sedentary," which I was when I started this journey about a year ago. My fitbit adjusts the calories according to my daily steps, so that's not a problem. I only log things the fitbit doesn't pick up, such as kayaking and swimming and shoveling snow (thank goodness that's over for a while). I tend to think that MyFitnessPal gives too generous a calorie burn and have subscribed to the belief that I should overestimate my consuption and underestimate my expenditures. Therefore, I have only been logging half the time that I exercise, most of which I eat back, and this has worked pretty well so far. :blushing: However, MyFitnessPal again adjusted my calories downward (dagnabbit) and the burns from swimming are so large - it gives me @1000 calories per hour for light/moderate effort. I have typically been swimming at least an hour a day and sometimes as much as 2 and a half hours (this is continuous length-of-the-lake swimming, probably a mile or so per hour), and my time in the water will only increase when school gets out next week. :bigsmile: So, if I continue to only log half the time, I could be underestimating by1000 or more calories, which with my new calorie goal, would put me netting around 500 calories a day. Of course, I don't want to do that, but I also don't want to overcount the calories and stop losing (especially since the scale has only recently started moving again). What to do?? I remember that some of you have posted links to sites with more accurate burns, but I didn't make note of them, sorry. Thanks for any advice/assistance.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @susan--Isn't it frustrating when we know what to do but struggle to follow through? Like I know I shouldn't keep buying bags of nacho cheese Doritos, yet they keep making the magical jump from the shelf into my shopping cart. At least my DH likes them and helps clear them out of the house quickly.

Monday Check-in:
    I'm at 469 miles on the Virtual TransAmerica Trail which puts me in Smyth County, VA--very close to moving into a new state. It also means I finished the LOTR Bag End to Rivendell 9 miles ago.

Tomorrow is gunner's yearly check-up. He needs some updated shots and blood work prior to getting his teeth cleaned. It's going to be an expensive year for the boy with the dental work, but it needs to be done before he gets too old to handle the anesthesia.

His appt. is at 10AM so I'll need to wait until we get home to hit the gym and do day 3 of 30DS.

Exercise Goals:
    Wed--walk gunner + 30 DS
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner + 30 DS
    Sun--walk gunner + 30 DS

To do:
    1. Drop off bag of clothes to Good Will
  • dianadelargy
    Options
    Bump
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    I am going to make this quick so I can turn off the computer. We are experiencing storms here tonight and I am not sure how bad they are going to be. It has been raining off and on all day with heavy downpours. We are expecting rain all week.

This was a busy weekend. Saturday I did workout with a friend. Then on Sunday, I had a baseball game then dinner and a movie with a friend. It was a great meal and the movie "Internship" was very funny.

Today, I worked out with my trainer and it was a good workout. We started with 30 minutes of cardio done in intervals, then switched to the strength training. You burn more calories by front loading the cardio then following up with the strength training because your muscles are more fatigued so you need to work harder. It was a very good workout and I plan on doing it again.

I am looking forward to completing the last week of school. Have a great day.
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    things got busy and I forgot to post here.

Anyway goals Tuesday to lose at least a pound this week.
    Long term to get to 253lbs by the end of July that is what I was in 2007.

To get to 246lbs so that if I need to have anything medically done I don't have to go 5 and half hours away because my hospital here won't treat anyone over a BMI of 45.

Will have to catch up with everyone later as I have sick kid's home from school.
  • CathEsh
    CathEsh Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm back! I've been MIA for almost a year and decided to read through some of your posts. I had quit following this thread due to the amount of time it took, but boy, does this thread help motivate me! I had started using MFP last July and lost 22 pounds by September. In October, I found out I fractured my knee cap and was sedentary for about 12 weeks waiting for that to heal. Then on March 15, I had bunion surgery and was non-weight bearing on that foot for 9 weeks and in a boot for two more. My muscles were very weak after all of that, and it seemed like I had to learn to walk all over again! I gained back 18 pounds through all that :grumble: but have now lost 6, so hopefully, I am once again going in the right direction! :smile: I am just now finally able to walk after my foot surgery, so let the water walking, bike riding, and dog walking begin! :drinker: Cath
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @cath--Welcome back!! :flowerforyou: My you've been through some injuries, but hopefully that is all behind you now.

@mummoid--that hospital rule seems a motivating goal. Hope your kid gets better quickly!

@laurie--So how are you liking working with the new trainer? Sounds like it's going well. The idea of burning more by front loading the cardio is a different approach to what I've heard. I read that if you want to burn more fat, you should do strength first b/c it will burn off all of the glucose in your bloodstream forcing your body to burn fat stores for fuel. Now these 2 ideas aren't really contradictory, just different approaches based on different goals (burning more fat vs. working muscles harder). It's certainly something to think about when working out. I actually have a more practical reason for doing strength first--it's less work to wipe down machines than when I'm all sweaty from cardio. :tongue:

@beth--I have my activity set to "lightly active" and then I only log "purposeful" exercise or unusually taxing activities. For example, in addition to the gym or home workouts, I log all of my walks and runs with gunner. However, I don't log walking around a mall or the grocery store--but if I were out walking all day at a festival, I might log an hour or 2. I also rarely log cleaning hours unless I'm literally working up a sweat (such as on my hands and knees scrubbing a floor). My HRM sucks as far as tracking calorie burns--it's just plain wrong :grumble: --so I rely on MFP and healthstatus (http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/cbc) to calculate my burns. Also, I'm not sure about fitbits or bodybugs, but HRMs don't accurately measure calorie burns for non-cardio activity, so are really just a "guess" when using them for strength exercises. Hope this helps. :smile:

Exercise Goals:
    Wed--walk gunner + 30 DS
    Thurs--walk gunner + gym
    Fri--walk gunner + 30 DS
    Sun--walk gunner + 30 DS

To do:
    1. Drop off bag of clothes to Good Will
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Sorry I haven't posted. Things get super hectic when hubby comes home. We have been doing some projects around the house and getting ready for the trip in a couple weeks to go to wyoming and pick my son up from school. My husband is so funny. I told him I wanted a planter bench on the side of our deck to put some of my plant pots on and he turned my little bench idea into this huge deck length 3 foot high planter box. It looks great and will look even better after it is stained and finished off but my husband is notorious for taking my humble little ideas and running away with them:laugh: It sounds like things are going well overall for everybody but Robin you need to take your meds, hope you are feeling better soon. Just wanted to let you all know that even if I dont post regularly for the next month or so I am reading and thinking of all of you. As always I am super proud of all you are accomplishing.:heart:
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Toots, You make me laugh. I guess we are crazy sometimes. Considering the size of Michelle's school, the baccalaureate was very small. It was really good, though.
    I've got her reading "Glitch" today. I told her she needed it for her information and education.
    Kaye

ah, get her ready for that single's ward ;)
    @toots--I would rather bake than boil too--but my eyes were so red while in Vegas, I looked like I was on drugs the whole time. :laugh:

that's one problem i've never had or i might feel different!
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Forty-eight years ago today, I married my sweetheart and companion. Its been a good ride, and when things were tough we were both too stubborn to give up. It will be fun to share this day with our oldest granddaughter as she graduates from high school. I'm looking forward to the day. Hope all of you have a good one, too. Kaye
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I've been MIA for the last little while...been very discouraged, felt like giving up as I face every day with vertigo. I'm of the opinion that one of the only things I can do for myself to make it better, is probably to lose weight, so here I go again. I've been pretty tired lately, and a major couch potato, but feel like getting my weight under control might make a difference...going to make a real effort to beat this thing.
  • NewCaddy
    NewCaddy Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Monday was a good day for me overall. Ate under my goal (and lots of healthy too!!) and went to my Aqua Fit class and lifted weights. Did not get my 30DS in. Turns out Aqua Fit is much more difficult than the old Monday class called Water in Motion. :love: Dang, my muscles quivered!! That means I got a great workout, but after lifting as well, I had no more stamina to get the 30DS done. So my plan is to do it one time over my lunch hour and then again tonight. That will get me caught up to where I wanted to be -- Day 3 and Day 4.:noway:

@Tina -- you will do great with your classes. The tough part is finding a good balance with all the different demands on you.

@Kaye -- Congratulations on 48 years!!!!

@Tom -- You can do it...you'll find your groove soon. Glad you got your car and garage fixed -- I once had my garage break while the van was inside. It was the big spring that moves it so, we couldn't even open it manually to get the van out! :explode:

@Susan -- Middle school is this year for us too. Bismarck had 6th graders in the elementary until this coming year, so Jacob will experience it for the first time -- he's nervous and excited. Big changes coming!!

@beth -- I've been to CT two times already and love the area. We've done lots of the normal "tourist" stuff and have found some great local places as well. If you (or Tom) have any "gotta see" places, let me know!

Also, on the calorie burn stuff -- that's hard. Like Karen said, HRM don't do well with things that aren't strictly cardio, so it's hard to know. What I've found is that MFP is high for my body -- apparently, I burn lower calories than most people my size :mad: . But there is also a big difference in just how hard you work out that MFP can't take into account. My water aerobics classes can vary from 315 - 525 based on my effort and the moves that we do. Zumba varies too...each instructor is a bit different and some days I can just go harder than other days. I think cutting the MFP totals in half might be too big of a hit. I don't know how to "solve" that, but, that's just my two cents. :happy:

@Tammy -- so jealous that your husband will "run with it."

Friday - gym & Weights & 30DSFriday - 30DS == DONE
    Saturday - Zumba & 30DS == DONE ON SUNDAY
    Sunday - rest (suppose to be gorgeous out so maybe some basketball at the park with the kids) == DONE ON SATURDAY
    Monday - Aqua Fit & Weights & 30DS == MOSTLY DONE
    Tuesday - 30DS
    Wednesday - Aqua Power & Weights (30DS rest day -- I know I can't do Aqua Power and that on the same day)
    Thursday - 30DS
    Friday - gym & Weights & 30DS

Hope you all have a great day! I'm going to go fill my water glass and get back to work. :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning.

Had eye appointment this morning, good news is rx for my contacts hasn’t changed. Bad news is that I officially have “over 40” eyes and now need to wear readers when working at a computer or reading – it was just a matter of time. :noway:

@Kaye~Happy Anniversary, enjoy the graduation! My parents will celebrate 48th years in August.
    @Mel~You got this! Hang in there, just take it one day (or one meal) at a time.
    @Robin~I hope your meds kick in soon.
    @Cath~Good to “see” you.
    @Beth~I have mine set to “sedentary” since I’m a paper pusher and sit at a desk all day. I wish I knew what was more accurate on calorie expended – I’ve always trusted my Garmin HRM but its far below MFP and the website Karen suggested.

Everyone have a super day!