Plus size model

Options

Replies

• victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Agree completely. Sizing standards for models have no more to do with my life than weight standards for professional boxers. I don't care what weight class I would fight in, nor do I care what size model I would be (none, incidentally because I'm short and unremarkable looking- the weight would never matter)

The boxing analogy is PERFECT!!

I also appreciate the boxing analogy

However, the "unremarkable looking" is inaccurate bordering on bullcrap and you shouldn't say that.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    UH NO!
  • taytaylynn3
    Options
    Was pissed when i saw that.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Like I said to someone else (if it's the Cosmo "plus sized" model we are talking about)... if that is plus sized, then I would kill to be plus sized and be so happy with it.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    no way!!!! You have got to be kidding me. If she's plus size, than so am I and everyone else out there.
  • Jane2285
    Jane2285 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    She's hot...and sexy...and so not plus size. I strive to be like her! She looks good and fit. Plus her swimming suit is super cute!!

Megan:)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    She's surely a "plus size" compared to all of the other models. I wouldn't say she's fat, but you can see she's thick, she looks like a big girl overall, tall and strong. Which is something most models aren't... they usually look really emaciated and must be thinner than healthy thin girls. That's just the way it works.
    Anyway yes plus size models might even have fat rolls in addition to big bones. Just look at the models in the plus size section at ASOS. They look exactly like whatever you would expect from their label. Some are toned, in a good shape, some are big boned, some have a noticeable waistline, but some don't. Most of them look like a lot of beautiful, overweight girls you might find in your everyday life.
    I think that the label "plus model" doesn't really explain that much. We would just need clothes for people who differ from the medium shape, weight and height.
  • latewinterwolf
    Options
    if thats plus sized then i must be like a freaking blue whale
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Is tops that no where near match the bottom coming into fashion or something?

Cause if so, I got a lot of bottoms with tops missing and tops with bottoms missing that I can surely become fashionable with this summer.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    She has a nice body but she IS plus sized. According to herself, the model wears a size 12, which puts her into plus size category in the fashion world. What's the big deal? Why should it make anyone feel bad if they're labeled as "plus sized"?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    She is plus sized though, in model terms.....I don't get it.

Of course she still looks beautiful and fantastic, she's a model. But she is, by definition, physically larger than other models.

Are plus sized models supposed to have fat rolls or something?
    This!^^

She is a size 16 sooo technically a plus size, but she is 6'2" which makes her size 16 a healthy size. I see no problem with a plus size woman being called plus size. That aren't calling her fat or unhealthy, they are simply stating that because of her unique size she wears plus size cloths.

Yeah, this. 6'2" and a size 16, she ain't "little". She's a big woman. She's not fat. She's not unhealthy, but she's big. Maybe there needs to be more than two labels (or more than two body types) in modeling. Show the world how different bodies look in clothes (but I guess it would be logistically hard to have sample clothing on hand in all sizes).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Is tops that no where near match the bottom coming into fashion or something?

Cause if so, I got a lot of bottoms with tops missing and tops with bottoms missing that I can surely become fashionable with this summer.

The surfer girls have been doing it since at least 2005. I think it's a cute look. But yeah, those VERY different patterns. I don't know if I do that. I do two different solid colors.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There doesn't need to be a "plus" attached to it. She's just a model. And just a woman. And just a size 16. There's no need for a special term for it like it's just outrageously rare and wrong. That's what irritates me. A size 10 is considered plus. Plus what? When I was a size 10 I was pretty damn skinny. I don't get why that just can't be a size, and she just can't be a model.

Because to model regular clothing you have to be a size 2 or smaller, mayyybe a 4. Bigger than that size is plus sized. It's not a judgement thing, it means she won't fit in to regular clothing sample sizes.

I agree, I also think that no one should take this situation and let is get you down. Unless you are aspiring to be a plus size fashion model and thought "Plus" size was a bit larger. So just shrug it off and keep working at making yourself healthy!

That's exactly what I'm talking about. What magic *kitten* fairy decided 0-2 was regular?
    That's not regular. And she isn't plus. And the fashion industry needs to learn a new vocab.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    She has a nice body but she IS plus sized. According to herself, the model wears a size 12, which puts her into plus size category in the fashion world. What's the big deal? Why should it make anyone feel bad if they're labeled as "plus sized"?

Because why does that vocab even need to be used? She could just be...a size 12! No need to add plus, regular, etc. to it.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Just as an FYI, google says she's 1m88. That's about 6'2 in anglo-saxon terms.

That's very tall for a woman, in fact it would be pretty tall for a man, so she IS plus-sized, just not the way you think...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    Yep. She looks like a plus sized model to me...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

Because why does that vocab even need to be used? She could just be...a size 12! No need to add plus, regular, etc. to it.

"Plus size" is specifically for those over size 12. In some countries it's called "Outsize". It essentially means clothing outside of the normal size range.

Based on averages, if you are over a sized 12 you probably ARE outside of a normal weight and/or height and/or general size than the AVERAGE person.

That's why men have "big & tall" sizes. It doesn't mean "HEY YOU ARE FAT SIZED" it just means your size is not within average limits for said clothing manufacturer.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There doesn't need to be a "plus" attached to it. She's just a model. And just a woman. And just a size 16. There's no need for a special term for it like it's just outrageously rare and wrong. That's what irritates me. A size 10 is considered plus. Plus what? When I was a size 10 I was pretty damn skinny. I don't get why that just can't be a size, and she just can't be a model.

Because to model regular clothing you have to be a size 2 or smaller, mayyybe a 4. Bigger than that size is plus sized. It's not a judgement thing, it means she won't fit in to regular clothing sample sizes.

I agree, I also think that no one should take this situation and let is get you down. Unless you are aspiring to be a plus size fashion model and thought "Plus" size was a bit larger. So just shrug it off and keep working at making yourself healthy!

That's exactly what I'm talking about. What magic *kitten* fairy decided 0-2 was regular?
    That's not regular. And she isn't plus. And the fashion industry needs to learn a new vocab.

You should write a petition.
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if the people getting bent out of shape in this thread about a plus size model being called plus size are the same people that defend the drastically overweight calling themselves curvy (while fat rolls are somewhat curved in shape, we all know that isn't what is meant by curvy). Because, as they say, why would it matter to you what a person labels their shape/size?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

"Plus size" is specifically for those over size 12. In some countries it's called "Outsize". It essentially means clothing outside of the normal size range.

Based on averages, if you are over a sized 12 you probably ARE outside of a normal weight and/or height and/or general size than the AVERAGE person.

That's why men have "big & tall" sizes. It doesn't mean "HEY YOU ARE FAT SIZED" it just means your size is not within average limits for said clothing manufacturer.

This
    I am wondering if the people getting bent out of shape in this thread about a plus size model being called plus size are the same people that defend the drastically overweight calling themselves curvy (while fat rolls are somewhat curved in shape, we all know that isn't what is meant by curvy). Because, as they say, why would it matter to you what a person labels their shape/size?

Also this.