Texting in Movie Theater

Options

Replies

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Seriously though, medications for OCD only do so much, he can't control his OCD, people can put their phones away, unless they're clinically OCD about their phones. :tongue:
    As someone who deals with mental illness issues with several family members, I feel for your husband; I really do. But see, the thing is, he's the one who has the problem, so if being in a situation where you can't control everything around you (like jerks being jerks, 'cause it's gonna happen) is going to set you off, you really need to just avoid that situation. It's incumbent upon you to change your behavior.

It kinda sucks, but them's the breaks. Life is hard. Wear a helmet.

We control and mitigate as we can. Assigned seating theaters with strict no phone policies, you mentioned Alamo, we have something similar. We don't go opening night anymore (and that's a big deal, we're HUGE nerds, I'm talking dressed up as Jedi at premiers nerds), we wait until the weekend and try to go during a matinee. Other than that, I do my best to keep him distracted/calm him down if its minor, and if someone is being a complete asshat, we'll complain and get them kicked out.

People were commenting that they didn't see what the big deal was, just trying to point out what the big deal might be for some.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,779 Member
    Options
    I always chuckle when people excuse their bad behavior with "I have kids."

Really? Wow! You actually have children?! What a rare and freak occurence. Not many people have to deal with that. You're so special and brave!

"No see you don't understand. I have children. Ever heard of them? So no, it's not important that you get to enjoy the movie you paid to see. What matters is that I am a parent and none of you understands what that's like. It's simply not possible for us to sit and quietly watch a movie. We must remain in constant contact in case the child needs medical treatment, which he does every time we leave the house for 2 hours. You just have to understand, I'm a parent which makes me more important than you."

I have a kid. I've shut off my phone and had people say to me "But what if something bad happens to Mutant Face?" I say, "I hope they get her to a hospital! If there's a medical emergency I'm really not the first person you should go to, I'm not a doctor."

Dear parents, if you're so worried your kids won't survive the 2 hours you're at a movie theater, you probably shouldn't go anyway.

this is the "false dichotomy" logical fallacy. Either you are worried that your child will not survive (which not one person has said) or not. Those aren't the only two options here. And i suspect that the level of concern lessens as the child gets older.

And let's also throw in that the "worried your child won't survive" is a clear straw man fallacy.

You know another fallacy? Imagining that there's a magic clause that being a parent lets you flaunt all social conventions.

Like the screen says, "No texting or talking during the movie." It doesn't say, "No texting unless you're a parent then hey just dim the screen and feel free to live tweet during the film, you had kids, you're special."

It says, "don't text". Don't feel like following that rule? Wait for the DVD.

I can have my phone on and on vibrate, and leave if it rings. just because i have my phone on, doesn't mean i am "flaunting all social conventions."
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Oh, come on. That's not what I said and you know it. The simple fact is that things can go wrong. Bad things do happen. And if there's technology to mitigate it, good. It's not about being hyper vigilant. It's kind of like a seat belt. I wear one. I hope I'm not in a car accident, but if I am, I'm glad I have one on.

Your seat belt doesn't interfere in my life in any way. I strongly encourage everyone to wear seat belts everytime they get in an automobile.

Checking your phone during a movie is not like wearing a seat belt. It's not saving anyone from anything. It's rude and against theater rules.

Why do some of you feel that these rules don't apply to you? That you can go to a movie theater, where you aren't allowed to use your phone, and you can use your phone all you'd like?

I'm not the one who's acting like he's better than anyone else here.

Quick question: What is more disturbing, someone who gets up in the middle of a movie or someone who takes a quick glance at their phone?

Also, I see you are new here. Welcome! It is looking like you will fit right in here. =)
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    As soon as I enter a movie theatre I turn off my phone and keep it off until the movie is over. If you need to keep in contact with someone then maybe you should just stay home where you'll be more accessible and not interrupt others.

Good advice, but make sure your gun has a bullet in the chamber so you can start shooting as soon as someone else does something that annoys you.

I'm shocked at the amount of people on this thread that think they need to take a gun to a movie theater. They are part of the problem.

Agree with you. I think that they confuse their guns with the American Express Card: they can't leave home without it....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My husband watched Blade II "medicated", and thought it was an amazing movie.....until he saw it again unmedicated.

That clears up so many things for me about why there is so much crap out there and how it's possible that so many people love it.

:laugh: :laugh:
  • PBsMommy
    PBsMommy Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Oh, come on. That's not what I said and you know it. The simple fact is that things can go wrong. Bad things do happen. And if there's technology to mitigate it, good. It's not about being hyper vigilant. It's kind of like a seat belt. I wear one. I hope I'm not in a car accident, but if I am, I'm glad I have one on.

Your seat belt doesn't interfere in my life in any way. I strongly encourage everyone to wear seat belts everytime they get in an automobile.

Checking your phone during a movie is not like wearing a seat belt. It's not saving anyone from anything. It's rude and against theater rules.

Why do some of you feel that these rules don't apply to you? That you can go to a movie theater, where you aren't allowed to use your phone, and you can use your phone all you'd like?

I'm not the one who's acting like he's better than anyone else here.

I NEVER once said I continuously check my phone. I NEVER said I use it any time I like.

I simply said it is in my pocket, be it pants or coat, just in the instance it does go off and there is an emergency. If I didn't say anything no one would ever know it was there. It has never happened, but if it did happen to go off, I would quietly go to the lobby and check to see what was wrong.

You are all bent out of shape at the wrong people.

Fuss at the people who are texting and playing tetris, not the people who have a phone in their pocket on vibrate that 9.9999 times out of 10 won't go off.

Last thing this rude jerk that is lower than a hamster is going to say about the subject, gots better things to do than argue with someone I don't know on the internet.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    As soon as I enter a movie theatre I turn off my phone and keep it off until the movie is over. If you need to keep in contact with someone then maybe you should just stay home where you'll be more accessible and not interrupt others.

Good advice, but make sure your gun has a bullet in the chamber so you can start shooting as soon as someone else does something that annoys you.

I'm shocked at the amount of people on this thread that think they need to take a gun to a movie theatre. They are part of the problem.

I think I am the only one. Your post is ridiculous of course. As I posted earlier, your phone has killed as many people as my gun, and no one has ever seen it at the theatre. Can the same be said for your phone? And btw, I have a permit and have never seen a "no gun" notice at the theatre's I attend. Please save your politics for an appropriate opportunity.

Yes, there are legal ways to keep firearms out of the theater. For example, pay attention to the posted notices on doors of stand alone jewelry stores. Phone use in theaters is not about "the rules." Such belief is right and wrong is not well developed (literally, look at developmental literature on justice, ethics, and morality). It's about respect of others and common decency to your neighbors.

Before everyone else gets up in arms (haha). Reference my last post. I have patients. I pull call. I have a child. I do the right thing and DON'T go to the theater when I expect that I might have a emergency call from the ER that I need to answer and rush out of the theater for. I DON'T bring my small child to the theater. Ok, your a super anxious parent. Fair. Keep that phone on you on silent, dimmed, and shove it back in your pocket and/or purse when you realize it's not a emergency. Don't text back. Don't answer the phone. It's rude.

Edit: In case it's not clear, I was not arguing against the above poster... I was agreeing in regards to legal weapons bans...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    previews I guess doesnt bother me......but people just can't stay away from their phones for nothing...sad really

Definitely pathetic. I am amazed at how much money people spend on it.
    Guilty as charged and I pay 100 plus a month....I could pay for 30-40 dollars on other phones, lol

OUCH! I spend about $10, plus taxes, on a VoIP house phone that is bundled with TV and internet. :bigsmile:
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

But if you receive a call or text that is an emergency you need to deal with, are you going to sit in your seat and respond and go back and forth or are you going to get up and leave to deal with said emergency? Because if you are just sitting in your seat talking (yes, people actually answer their phones and have conversations during movies) or texting back and forth, it is NOT an emergency and you need to put your GD phone away.

Since the people we're talking about are usually sitting in their seat texting back and forth (or in some cases holding lengthy conversations), I don't think there is an emergency in progress.

I dunno, looks like people are getting bent out of shape if there is a phone simply brought into the theater that hasn't been powered down, because even silent won't suffice.

Nope, looks like people are getting bent about others justifing their rudeness.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I'm shocked at the amount of people on this thread that think they need to take a gun to a movie theater. They are part of the problem.

Agree with you. I think that they confuse their guns with the American Express Card: they can't leave home without it....

Am wondering if Brits vs. Americans cultural issue or just Texans vs. everyone else cultural issue? Truly just wondering either way. Don't own a gun, but live in Texas and love pulling chain of aquaintances from GB.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have texted, checked email but not talked during the movie. if it is dim and on vibrate - what harm is it? Most people other than sitting directly next to you would not be bothered by it. Heck the sound of popcorn bags, ice in the cups and candy wrappers are more annoying than texting. This was only the previews too. Unbelievable. Sad that a 3 year old little girl no longer has her daddy because one person's temper got way out of hand! SAD SAD SAD!!!!
    I'm pretty attached to my phone. And I've texted in a movie theater. I'm not sure how it could bother someone so much if you aren't making noise, and the screen is dim. And during the previews this happened? Damn. Florida is scary. He'll probably get off, especially since he's a former cop.

Umm, no. You think your phone is dim, but it isn't. I can spot somebody's phone from 12 rows up.
  • doorki
    doorki Posts: 2,611 Member
    Options
    Also, I see you are new here. Welcome! It is looking like you will fit right in here. =)

Trust me, I'm REALLY not worried about it.

There are two sides to this argument:

1. You shouldn't be on the phone during a movie. It's rude to other people watching and there are rules against it.

2. I'll use my phone if I want to. I have kids so I'm allowed.

I'll stick with everyone in the first camp. And I have kids too.

So, you really don't want to answer the questions, eh?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,652 Member
    Options
    Eh, I have kids who need to be able to reach me any time, and clients who get pissed if they can't. I wouldn't take a call, but my phone isn't getting shut off. And trust me, when I am on the phone, it's far less of a distraction than the crying baby, or the person chomping on their popcorn.
    Lol, cracks me up when some have this perception that they are "less" distracting at a theater. Shouldn't the point be not to be a distraction at all out of courtesy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Quick question: What is more disturbing, someone who gets up in the middle of a movie or someone who takes a quick glance at their phone?

This one? Easy. Turning a phone on is more annoying. People might have to get up for any number of reasons, mostly the 50 gallon drum of soda that only costs a nickel extra sending them fleeing to the bathroom. There's no reason to check your phone.

Imagine sitting in a movie theater and someone turns a flashlight on every now and then. You'd think they were a crazy person and incredibly rude. But because some people get twitchy if they have to go 20 minutes without checking Facebook we're supposed to accept it.

Now really, I'd love to hear from those of you who disagree tell me why "Please turn off your phones" doesn't apply to you? I'm trying but I really can't figure out what it is that makes some of you better than the rest of us.

Yeah, I'm definitely the opposite. Anyone who obscures my viewing/hearing of the film will annoy me. I don't pay any attention to what anyone else has in/on their lap.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I find others on their phones during a movie very distracting. During the previews? That doesn't bother me. If I feel my phone vibrate, I check it while it's still in my purse so no one else can see the light, and as long as it's not a legit emergency, I answer it later. If it ever was an emergency, I would get up and leave the theater to reply or call that person.
  • supremelady
    supremelady Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I honestly could care less "why" he shot the guy. The fact that he got mad enough to shoot him in a theater where there were other people including kids, disturbs me. A life is more important than a dag on light from a cell phone. If he was that upset than he should have told management. We excuse dangerous behavior because we feel we can relate but the truth of the matter is it should not have made him that mad, and the fact that it did means perhaps he should have waited for the movie to be released on dvd and watched it at home.