Dr Oz 2 Week Weight Loss

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    One of these years, someone may actually answer that question...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

that question will never be answered because there is no answer ….LOL
  • spiffychick85
    spiffychick85 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    This thread was so full of awesomeness...and failure...can't wait to see where this one lands :drinker:
  • tigersword
    Options

I never said it would be a good answer...:drinker:
  • 33Freya
    33Freya Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I think any fad diet is the opposite of what we need to be doing. You're right- that's not sustainable but we all wanna find the short cut, boost, kick start, easy way :). Diets like that only sell us a dream, and a lot of opportunity to find the next diet, buy the next pill, and read the next hot diet book. There are no cheats- we have to make forever changes :flowerforyou:
  • ndj1979
    Options

I never said it would be a good answer...:drinker:

LOL - point taken….
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options

Ben Goldacre's book 'Bad Science' has a great section on detoxing and the whole concept of 'releasing toxins'. Yep, that's what your kidneys are for. If they stop doing it, you find out pretty quickly.

Personally I think the reason 'detox diets' make people feel better is because we stress out our digestive systems with too much rich food, and a couple of weeks with lots of water and fibre and less of the challenging stuff like meat and fat lets the guts recover. The ubiquitous January detox is a great example of this.

As an aside, when I visited Bath the tour guide was talking about how the rich used to go there to 'take the waters' to cure things like gout and dyspepsia, and it did seem to work - probably because the amount of spa water they were drinking left no room for their usual diet of wine and rich food. Plus ca change...
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Also, on the subject of sudden weight loss caused by this sort of diet, someone mentioned fluid shed because you've reduced sodium - you also lose fluid whenever you reduce your carb intake, as apparently you need water to metabolise it (I get this from my auntie who studied this stuff) and that accounts for a lot of the 'beginner's luck' on any diet, as well as the quick payoff in these super-short-term magic diets.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I'm actually doing it and I'm very full all the time with the food that I'm eating (and I like everything that I'm making for dishes). My main priority is to get the nutrition that I was lacking over the holidays back into my lifestyle. I definitely was sliding back into my old habits. Before he even created this plan I was already planning on reducing my wheat intake, and increasing my vegetables. This "diet" really isn't very different to how I eat when I'm losing weight. I'm just conscious of what foods I'm eating rather than counting calories or points. I also have been meaning to ween myself off my coffee addictiction.

I've done the two weeks of South Beach start and that's much more restrictive and harder to do than this.

It's not meant for everyone. Just those that are looking to find a way back into healthy eating. Once I'm off the diet, the only changes I see myself making are to add sweet potatoes and potatoes into my meals. Will I have my days that I don't eat as healthy? Probably, but I like knowing which foods I should be eating on a regular basis far more than counting calories. I would like to ween myself from counting calories as it's not something that is easy for me to do.

Yes, it's called a rapid weight loss diet, but my body will never rapidly loss weight at this point. At the rate that I'm going I'm standing to lose 4 lbs. in two weeks which is normal and definitely not "rapid"

I don't like the marketing of the plan, but it is good marketing as it spurs people to try to eat healthy. And it was an infomercial to some extent, but not for a product but to teach people (and the vast majority of Americans don't know) how to eat healthy. At least once a week there's a new study on how sugar is bad for you or an article about how Americans are eating too much sugar.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also, on the subject of sudden weight loss caused by this sort of diet, someone mentioned fluid shed because you've reduced sodium - you also lose fluid whenever you reduce your carb intake, as apparently you need water to metabolise it (I get this from my auntie who studied this stuff) and that accounts for a lot of the 'beginner's luck' on any diet, as well as the quick payoff in these super-short-term magic diets.

Usually the reason for water loss when carbs are reduced is the depletion of glycogen in the muscles, and glycogen retains water. Less glycogen, less water, lower weight.
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've been tracking my food on another site and 50% of my daily intake is carbs. I'm not sure how you are defining what a carb is.

I really don't understand the resistance to what is included and excluded from the program. There are people who eat vegan, raw only, paleo diets, etc.. All of them are restrictive in nature and that is what the people on them like to eat and find healthy for them. This really isn't extreme eating by any definition. If you like nitrates, and processed food then I can see how this can be extreme. But healthy eating really is the goal for a healthy lifestyle
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Just came by to share the news.

Dr. Oz is a quack.
  • jennufer1
    jennufer1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Well it's working for my husband and I. Everything Dr Oz has recommended since his fist show has been accurate. He does not promote products by name, never has and states as much at the end of every show, if you recieve promtional material that says it is from him it is not. He does not endorse products.
    He is a practicing cardiac thorastic surgeon you know!
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    As for Dr. Oz being a quack or a sell out...in some ways I agree. It does seem like every day he has some food or supplement that will help you lose weight, shrink belly fat, or give you energy. However, I don't always agree that he is promoting all of the guests that he has on the show who are promoting their own books/plans/etc. I think he is just like any other TV show that talks about what is "hot" but since he is a doctor, people assume he is touting that program and get it confused with when he is actually giving advice on his own.

As for carbs causing Alzheimers.....Dr. Oz is not the only one who is linking the two. I have heard Alzheimer's referred to as Type 3 diabetes, and that it is linked with high levels of insulin (not just high blood sugar). Mark Hyman talks about this in his book "The Ultramind Solution". It is a very interesting read.

The problem is if he doesn't use his doctorly knowledge to poke holes in these diet products/pills/books etc that come on his show every other day, he comes across as endorsing them.

And If carbs were a cause of Alzheimer's, we'd all have it.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Okay, so why would that make him an expert on weight loss?
  • mamma_nee
    mamma_nee Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I hate Dr. Oz
  • seamaiden1000
    seamaiden1000 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Diet makes perfect sense. It is a stage one of ridding your body of as much glycogen stores as possible, alkalising your bloodstream, healing your digestion so that it absorbs nutrients and eliminates toxins most efficiently, topping with good minerals and protein. Note the very low carbs. He also suggests no extra exercise during this period so as to not stress your body further as it starts dumping toxins (the greens (chlorophyll) help neutralise acids), or strain your mind in the adjustments more than necessary. A one at a time approach. Nothing quackery about any of it, more like getting back to basics. Most people have lost sight of or never knew what basics are. I was blessed with a mother who pretty much raised me on low carb (minimum portions of bread, rice or pasta), lots of Low GI vegetables and moderate potions of all meats. Basically a traditional Greek diet. I was always slim, alert and full of energy. Never craved anything sweet though there was always the odd sweet. But note that Greek sweets invariably have cinnamon on top which slows sugar absorption minimising sugar spike in blood. It was when I moved out of home that I became dietary corrupted through laziness and ignorance. The more I know the more I realise that the good old traditional Greek diet was all over this. Legacy of Hyppocrates...?!
  • tigersword
    Options
    Diet makes perfect sense. It is a stage one of ridding your body of as much glycogen stores as possible, alkalising your bloodstream, healing your digestion so that it absorbs nutrients and eliminates toxins most efficiently, topping with good minerals and protein. Note the very low carbs. He also suggests no extra exercise during this period so as to not stress your body further as it starts dumping toxins (the greens (chlorophyll) help neutralise acids), or strain your mind in the adjustments more than necessary. A one at a time approach. Nothing quackery about any of it, more like getting back to basics. Most people have lost sight of or never knew what basics are. I was blessed with a mother who pretty much raised me on low carb (minimum portions of bread, rice or pasta), lots of Low GI vegetables and moderate potions of all meats. Basically a traditional Greek diet. I was always slim, alert and full of energy. Never craved anything sweet though there was always the odd sweet. But note that Greek sweets invariably have cinnamon on top which slows sugar absorption minimising sugar spike in blood. It was when I moved out of home that I became dietary corrupted through laziness and ignorance. The more I know the more I realise that the good old traditional Greek diet was all over this. Legacy of Hyppocrates...?!
    Ugh. Alkalizing the blood stream? You mean the blood stream that must maintain an alkaline pH of 7.4 or you die? By the way, that death occurs whether your pH becomes more acidic, OR more alkaline than 7.4. If your blood pH is out of line, you have way more pressing things to worry about than what kind of diet you want to try, because you need immediate emergency care.

And by the way, a "traditional" Greek diet is VERY carb heavy.
  • Arydria
    Arydria Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Oz

Opinions?

incoming-duck.gif?w=560

LOVE!!
  • ndj1979
    Options

Okay, so why would that make him an expert on weight loss?

seriously, if I want a good cardiologist then i will email dr. oz …as far weight loss, exercise, and diet that guy is a quack...