Most awkward weight comment

Options

Replies

• freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, awkward comments received, not so much. But I will NEVER forget the worst one I made:

Saw a high school acquaintance @ the mall about 5 years after graduation. We weren't close, but were friendly. He'd been very overweight in HS, and when I saw him looked much lighter, happy, and *healthy* (even in retrospect). I complimented him on how great he was looking.

We missed getting together to catch up (non-romantically), and 3 months later he was dead. His weight loss was due to brain cancer chemo.

Awkward? To say the least. And I still flinch when reading "no one's noticed my weight loss" postings. You just never know what's going on with someone, yanno?

OMG! THIS HAPPENED TO ME TOO! There was this girl who was a member of this program I go to, and she was very overweight for such a long time... she was young too, like my age.. 25 or something. Anyway, I see her randomly one day after she had been MIA for a while, and she lost half of her weight! She was such a skinny little thing, and I said "oh my god! you look great!!!!" Then I over heard her talking with someone else about all the chemo she had just been thru... i felt sooooo awkward after. Like I kinda felt like a jacka**....
  • RobinB0812
    RobinB0812 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of people telling me I will disappear if I lose anymore weight, :grumble:

I've been hearing this a lot and it's not bad unless it's in front of someone who's had the "I want to lose weight too." conversation with me. I do find it funny too because I need to lose at least 25lbs and possibly more once I reach that first goal.

I think these type of comments (you will waste away, skinny minnie, too skinny, etc) are meant to be compliments. EPIC FAIL!!
  • tea4rose
    tea4rose Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    The night before taking a first aid course, I had a small binge of green vegetables and baby carrots.
    (these make me bloat and distend my tummy for the next 24+hours)

At the course I tried to keep my coat on for as long as I could but eventually it had to come off for practicing cpr.

I don't think anyone was expecting the large perfectly round and distended tummy underneath. I easily looked 6months pregnant and I knew it)

The instructor came over immediately ( she was ex military so very blunt ) and asked loud enough for the class to hear , was I pregnant? She was in disbelief when I answered I was not, and at first did not accept it, which lengthened the awkwardness.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    All comments about weight are awkward when you are fat. That's the painful truth...It's when people tell you to lose weight and you don't get it. I've been there...lost 126 lbs.

They're not any better when you're thin. Being told you need to eat a sandwich is no less painful or awkward than being told to stop eating one.

+1

Really guys?

I mean...I'm not disagreeing exactly. And I take this stuff pretty seriously. I NEVER make rude comments to thin people or say "you're so skinny I'm jealous blah blah blah" or "eat a cheeseburger"...not even in JEST because I don't think it's funny. I generally try to make infrequent comments about others' appearance and if I do it's something like a compliment on their scarf, haircut, etc.

But...I tend to think that in *most* cases, fat-shaming is kind of worse. I'd say out of 100 random people (whether kids, teens, or adults) if you asked them "what would be worse, being made fun of for being too fat or being too skinny" a HUGE percentage would say that it was worse to be fat. There are so many things associated with being fat like laziness, sloppy hygiene, health problems...not the case for being very thin/small.

Again not really disagreeing just wondering if you truly believe it's EQUALLY bad. I don't see that, I guess.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My cousin told me I was really hot now... at my brother's funeral.

:huh:
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I'm getting tired of people telling me I will disappear if I lose anymore weight, :grumble:

I've been hearing this a lot and it's not bad unless it's in front of someone who's had the "I want to lose weight too." conversation with me. I do find it funny too because I need to lose at least 25lbs and possibly more once I reach that first goal.

I think these type of comments (you will waste away, skinny minnie, too skinny, etc) are meant to be compliments. EPIC FAIL!!

i disagree. i think they're meant to deter us from keeping at it, for whatever their reason is
  • RoseGoldDinosaur
    RoseGoldDinosaur Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I saw an awkward commercial on TV yesterday that was so obviously skinny shaming. Two girls on yoga mats are talking about dentists and the thin girl keeps telling the heavy girl she should eat carrots and exercise more. The heavy girl comes off as looking normal and the thin girl looks like a total b!tch. It was so awkward because my fiancé thought it was hilarious and I was pissed and we had to have a talk about how fat shaming and skinny shaming are both problems. Also this commercial implies that the majority of their target market now identifies with the overweight girl. The majority of people are now overweight and instead of considering it a health crisis we're going to make fun? I guess it's good news if you're a dentist but I was appalled that the marketing team made this commercial happen.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    All comments about weight are awkward when you are fat. That's the painful truth...It's when people tell you to lose weight and you don't get it. I've been there...lost 126 lbs.

They're not any better when you're thin. Being told you need to eat a sandwich is no less painful or awkward than being told to stop eating one.

+1

Really guys?

I mean...I'm not disagreeing exactly. And I take this stuff pretty seriously. I NEVER make rude comments to thin people or say "you're so skinny I'm jealous blah blah blah" or "eat a cheeseburger"...not even in JEST because I don't think it's funny. I generally try to make infrequent comments about others' appearance and if I do it's something like a compliment on their scarf, haircut, etc.

But...I tend to think that in *most* cases, fat-shaming is kind of worse. I'd say out of 100 random people (whether kids, teens, or adults) if you asked them "what would be worse, being made fun of for being too fat or being too skinny" a HUGE percentage would say that it was worse to be fat. There are so many things associated with being fat like laziness, sloppy hygiene, health problems...not the case for being very thin/small.

Again not really disagreeing just wondering if you truly believe it's EQUALLY bad. I don't see that, I guess.
    See, the thing is, people feel more like they're "allowed" to comment on you being thin instead of being fat. Calling someone out on being overweight is considered very rude and a social faux pas, but telling someone they need a sandwich is considerably more "acceptable" - sometimes people even think they're paying you a compliment.

I personally think it's in bad taste to remark on someone's weight at all. It's their business and, if it is a problem to them for whatever reason, it's their problem. It's not really my place.
  • Kaylee_law_123
    Kaylee_law_123 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Recent Wedding Dress Shopping ...

Asked for a dress in a Size 10 (US Size 8) ...

Shop Assistant "Oh we don't carry any dresses that big, actually we don't really carry dresses your size, only smaller sizes"

It took a LOT of willpower to not slap her!
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    All comments on someone's weight/body are generally kind of awkward and inappropriate, I find.

I think there've been two recently that were pretty bad, though:

- this summer, ironically as I was going to the gym, I got on the bus and sat down, and the older lady sat opposite me across the aisle laughed and turned to her friend and said "and you thought YOU had a spare tyre!" and they openly laughed at me whilst everyone around us just looked uncomfortable.

- one of the secretaries where I'm based told me not to lose any weight, that I should go to the Middle East and get a job bellydancing because "they like big women" (admittedly I *am* a bellydancer in my free time but wtf)
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    This one was really more frightening than awkward. A car of teenagers drove by as I was out for a walk and threw a beer bottle at my head yelling, "Lose some weight!" Just strange. I was out walking, for you know, exercise and getting from one place to another, but apparently it wasn't enough as the weight hadn't dropped off from the time I had left the house until the time I reached the corner. :grumble:

I was in the ER for the fourth time in a week due to my asthma. I was told, "If you lost weight you'd breathe better." Maybe. But I wasn't sure how much weight he thought I should have lost since I had first come in a few days earlier. The reason for the asthma attacks was due to a controlled burn out of town that resulted in ash and smoking floating into the city.

An awkward for me was the reverse of the pregnancy, "Are you fat?" or "Have you ever thought about, you know, losing weight?"
    As if I have neither a mirror and had never been exposed to any media or notion that my weight may not be the best. :tongue:
  • somarilnos
    Options
    A socially awkward coworker asked if I lost "a significant amount of weight". I thought it was a funny way and awkward way of phrasing it.
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    not a weight comment exactly but usually when I walk into a store in the mall I get met with a super cute and skinny girl who is asking if I am shopping for someone else today . . .OUCH
  • nmncare
    nmncare Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I introduced a family member to a friend of mine who was originally 350 pounds and had lost around 125. She was still over weight.. but looked GREAT and had been working so hard. My very honest European Gran said, "Oh you're pregnant! When are you due?". The look on my friends face was unforgettable. She was distraught.
    BUT on the bright side.. she had sit a rut 2 months earlier and had given up. Thought she had done "good enough" and let it go. Two years later.. she is now 160, 5' 7" and TONED. She looks amazing! And that last push was all thanks to my Gran and her big mouth :)
  • Etherlily1
    Etherlily1 Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    My cousin told me I was really hot now... at my brother's funeral.

:huh:

Wow, talk about inappropriate! It's bad enough at a reunion, but a funeral?
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ditto to some of these, and thank goodness that I haven't had some of these! I have been "moo'd" and "oink'd" at, but I've never had anyone ask if I'm pregnant. I found that when I lived in Europe, so many complete strangers felt the need to inform me that I was fat and ugly...so kind. My friend that was also large would always retort "at least we have nice teeth :D" *huge smile...exit scene* Someone else mentioned it and it's the comment that came to my mind first-a family member of mine said "you'd be so pretty if you lost some weight". I'm pretty sure he meant it in a nice way, and it has been not only painful and true, but also complimentary. I think I'll be dang hot when I'm skinny, I know I'm not as beautiful now as I could be...I'm not going to lie-I look like the freaking pillsbury dough boy!
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I just remembered another! When I was about 10 and had started to gain weight, I was at my friend's house and her dad said to me "You know, I wish you were my daughter. You're so pretty, if you were just skinnier." What the hell is 10 year old supposed to say to that?!
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    not a weight comment exactly but usually when I walk into a store in the mall I get met with a super cute and skinny girl who is asking if I am shopping for someone else today . . .OUCH

This reminds me of a true story of one of my relatives. She fwalked in Lululemon store for the first time and a very pleasant clerk welcomed her and the next thing she said was interesting...she said to my 40 some relative "You know, we just got some awesome high waisted tights in...thought you might be interested..." :bigsmile:
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Recent Wedding Dress Shopping ...

Asked for a dress in a Size 10 (US Size 8) ...

Shop Assistant "Oh we don't carry any dresses that big, actually we don't really carry dresses your size, only smaller sizes"

It took a LOT of willpower to not slap her!

Haha I'm sorry, this is a horrible story, but it so reminds me of the movie Mean Girls when they go to buy Regina's prom dress: "I'm sorry, miss, but we only carry sizes 1, 3, and 5. You might want to try Sears." People can be such a-holes.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    My friend at work blurted out one day, "you look fantastic from the backside!" I started laughing and she continued on with, "Its not like I'm checking you out or anything g but you look so great. I want to know how you're doing it."

I'd lost most of my weight by then, and was a bit embarrassed both her sweet remark but it made me feel good.