Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Thank you. For those of you who are protesting this idea, there are some scent-free workplaces. Do you complain about schools that implement peanut-free lunch rules? No? Because you don't think it's OK for kids to have to worry about going to the hospital after lunch break?

Yes, I try to balance my horrendously-bad allergies with other people's freedom to smell however they want, but when you're dousing yourself in perfume after your workout in our small locker room, then you're just a d-bag.

As a mother of a son allergic to peanuts, yes I DO and did complain about peanut free lunch rules. My son knows not to stick his hand in other peoples lunch boxes. And my daughter shouldnt be limited by my sons allergies.

YOU have the allergy, its YOUR responsibility to cope and figure out alternatives, not everybody elses

When it comes to children and peanuts, I completely disagree. Kids don't always know enough to protect themselves and don't always make the best decisions. They shouldn't risk death because the behave like children. It is our responsibility to protect them. My daughter has a child in her class with a severe peanut allergy. We switched her to sunflower butter instead of peanut butter - a super easy fix that in no way limited my child. Kids who want to eat peanut butter can eat all they want at home. A child's deadly allergy trumps any other child's love of peanut butter every single time. It's also a useful lesson to teach kids that we sometimes have to look out for and think of other people before ourselves.

If everyone used common courtesy and didn't worry so much about how someone else's allergy or intolerance impacted their freedom, I imagine the world would be a better place.

Again, this is where education is important. Peanut induced Anaphylactic shock, and death, is extremely rare. Most kids who are allergic to peanuts simply get hives. The very few, (less than one half of one percent) who have extreme reactions have epi pens. And if they are that allergic, it is even MORE important for them to be exposed to daily routine that includes peanuts. You are doing that child no favors by sheltering her. You are doing more harm than good.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Good luck, it does look funny, so keep wearing fake eye lashes please lol

I will trust me because it's even funnier when I see girls like you on the machines judging woman like me in the den lifting heavy...for wearing false eye lashes and expensive cloths assuming we are there to pick up or look for guys...

When in fact this one is married to a much younger man and is there to work out and build strengh and don't really give a crap what the girls on the treadmills/ellipitcals/stair steppers think cause we are too busy concentratig on our form and getting that 180lb DL up 5x or that 150lb squat up 5x5...
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Hmph! I will continue buying my AWESOME bath and body works body sprays(not perfume, because I LOVE spraying more than once or twice) and wearing deodorant. And I don't go anywhere beforehand so I do it just to smell nice. AND if I were to feel like putting on make up, I would(although it would look rough afterwards cuz I sweat like a pig in the face area and get super red easily). Plus!!!!! I'm even going to continue wearing what I deem to be super cute outfits, because I lost weight, feel good about myself, and want to look and smell good. Even after my workout, and being drenched in sweat, I still smell good, via deodorant and perfume :bigsmile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Its very irritating to people like me with asthma, and it doesn't make you smell any better when it mixes with your sweat.

Thank you.

i wear perfume all day everyday. if i happen to work out that day it's still on me as I rarely shower first. just the other day a girl jumped on the treadmill next to me took a puff of an inhaler and proceeded to "KILL IT!" on that workout. THere were 2 empty treadmills to her left. I have to assume if I was ommitting an offending odor she would have moved to one of those or let me know. SHe had a good 4 inches on me.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Good luck, it does look funny, so keep wearing fake eye lashes please lol

I will trust me because it's even funnier when I see girls like you on the machines judging woman like me in the den lifting heavy...for wearing false eye lashes and expensive cloths assuming we are there to pick up or look for guys...

When in fact this one is married to a much younger man and is there to work out and build strengh and don't really give a crap what the girls on the treadmills/ellipitcals/stair steppers think cause we are too busy concentratig on our form and getting that 180lb DL up 5x or that 150lb squat up 5x5...
    z9frbvD.gif

That's some nice lifting going on there. :wink:
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I think it's less about simply using perfume and more about the amount used. For instance, using half a can of 'body spray' (not even actual perfume, just the cheap tacky stuff you can get at Superdrug or wherever) in a confined space in the changing rooms is just inconsiderate and could make anyone cough, asthmatic or not. A couple of squirts of perfume before you leave, or some antiperspirant deodorant is probably not going to do much harm.
    Don't really have a problem with make-up, although it does confuse me as to why people bother (just seems like a recipe for spots, imo). But then again, I've never really seen the point of the stuff anyway, other than maybe the odd bit for events.

edit: I also think that if you can smell someone's perfume from a fair distance then it's not only annoying but just tacky. Like a desperate guy wearing too much cologne, or whatever. Blech.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Again, this is where education is important. Peanut induced Anaphylactic shock, and death, is extremely rare. Most kids who are allergic to peanuts simply get hives. The very few, (less than one half of one percent) who have extreme reactions have epi pens. And if they are that allergic, it is even MORE important for them to be exposed to daily routine that includes peanuts. You are doing that child no favors by sheltering her. You are doing more harm than good.

Some allergies are cumulative. One exposure can mean hives, and the next can be an anaphylactic reaction - and you can never predict how many exposures it will take to get to be that point. Giving a child an epipen shot, or receiving one from the child's perspective, is (a) not guaranteed to save the child's life and (b) a really scary experience that it is not necessary for that child to ever have to have. It is not ever important or intelligent to expose an allergic child to an allergen. If you mean to say that peanut allergic children need to know how to protect themselves, I agree. I also think that the rest of us can take an important role in keeping them safe. Children aren't always equipped to protect themselves even when they've been told a million times that something will hurt them.

I don't shelter my non-peanut allergic children. I emphasize to my children that we need to be conscious and courteous to other people and do our best to keep other people safe too. I am not doing any harm to my daughter by teaching her that sometimes you have to put a "want" for yourself (like a peanut butter sandwich) aside for the "need" of another human being (i.e. not having an allergic reaction at school). Again, my children, thankfully, do not have food allergies.
  • Jennisin1
    Jennisin1 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    better than the BO stinkers who literally can make me gag with their foulness......
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I wonder why if a girl wears perfume/makeup, that it's anyone's business.

This!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

GTFO.

No need to look like a bag of smashed *kitten*. I can't stand people that say this.

I look good when I go to the gym. why? because I look good when I leave my house. I never look fugly. Even if I walk out the door in sweats and a tank- I still don't look a mess. (being sick- is the only exception in which case I'm going to the store to buy drugs or walk across the street to the deli for food). You NEVER know who you are going to run into- and since I work in a political world- not looking like *kitten* is important.

I work hard- harder than most people I know. And guess what- my face doesn't run. I don't wear full cake make up- but I never leave my house without mascara and eye liner- and 9/10 I'm coming from work and it's all still on there.

Just because YOU have issues looking like *kitten* because you don't know how to put your make up on- doesn't mean I have to. And just because you think make up = not working hard doesn't mean it's the case. I would challenge any girl who says that to come work out with me and then tell me I'm taking up space in my make up.

Secondly... I am a performing artist. ALL of my make up- must hold up to extreme lights and sweat and photography and still look amazing.

Where do you think I test that out?

at my gym- where I do all my training and dancing.

Get over yourself that other people look better at the gym than you do. there is no need to rag on people don't look like *kitten*- just because they look good- doesn't mean they aren't work.

It's just so fricking ignorant. I can't stand that.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    There are showers in every gym...It's a horror with perfums over the sweat. And girls with fake eye lashes who parade in expensive clothes looking for guys...lol

have some peanut butter with that jelly

if you can afford it :wink:

Best comment ever. :flowerforyou:
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Wonder what people think when I crop dust the cardio section.

You know what I find incredibly distracting? Yoga pants. Not complaining though. : ) Carry on ladies.

Ewwwwwww @ crop dusting! hahaha
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of perfume at all (it bothers my allergies) but if someone is coming to work out from work or something they got ready for before going to the gym and they wear makeup/perfume/whatever else, I don't fault them for it.

true, but there are people who get dolled up just to go to the gym. makes no sense.

Perhaps they don't care if it makes no sense to you...they might just be living their lives for themselves.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    You'd hate me. I smell like roses almost all the time.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Il wear what I like :)
  • mortuseon
    mortuseon Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Just because YOU have issues looking like *kitten* because you don't know how to put your make up on- doesn't mean I have to. And just because you think make up = not working hard doesn't mean it's the case. I would challenge any girl who says that to come work out with me and then tell me I'm taking up space in my make up.

Enjoy your workout, enjoy your makeup, whatever floats your boat (unless your mascara is made from human blood, or something)...but no makeup =/= looking like *kitten*! (I hope not, anyway, or else I've been looking like **** 99% of the time :laugh: )
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    As someone with a legitimate allergy to a very very common scent component, I'm the first one to say move machines. Believe me, sometimes life sucks because I CAN'T go down the detergent aisle in walmart, into the natural foods store, past the perfume counter at the dept store, etc. I even had to stop using soap in public restrooms.

However, I do understand being annoyed when someone drowns themselves in a scent, whether it's an allergy issue or not. There's a big difference between being annoyed at someone for something and wanting a rule put in place that punishes everyone just to keep certain offenders at bay.

As for makeup/clothing/etc, I split my time between the treadmill and the weight room in the winter, and I honestly couldn't tell you who is wearing what in either section of the gym. I'm there to workout, not stare at others working out.
  • ksuh999
    ksuh999 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lsz5qp1mho1r3r0x4o1_r1_500.png
  • drosty37
    Options
    I can relate to being sensitive to overly perfumed people at the gym. Its not that I care how you come to the gym (ie. w/make up or w/out, in your cutest outfit or your most comfy ripped up garb), its because it irritates my asthma. Now the person who goes after work and has put on perfume in the morning isn't going to bother me, or someone who has great shampoo, but the one who tries to compensate for how they may actually smell like a normal sweaty person working out - by dousing theirself with half a bottle of perfume is! Lets not pretend like we don't kow the difference. People need to be considerate of others - not asking for a life altering behavior change - just a little consideration.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options

Enjoy your workout, enjoy your makeup, whatever floats your boat (unless your mascara is made from human blood, or something)...but no makeup =/= looking like *kitten*! (I hope not, anyway, or else I've been looking like **** 99% of the time :laugh: )

i think her point was that makeup running everywhere looks like *kitten*, and that if your make up is running, you're wearing it wrong. but I could be mistaken.