Please dont wear perfumes to the gym

Options

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    oh well this escalated quickly,dint it? LOL SOrry I missed all the replies. I just wanted to post it because their are a lot of new years resolutionists at the gym this time of year that don't know perfumes and colognes are not cool in gyms.

actually I don't know anyone under 60 who even wears the stuff anymore but whatevs. Just keep it out of the gym

KTHXBAI

better to be 60 than to look it :wink:

and anyway, if people dont keep it out of the gym, what are you going to do about it besides start a rant on MFP? :laugh:
  • kahdxoom
    kahdxoom Posts: 129
    Options
    OMG...thank you for this post! I am allergic also. I have had to move away from people/ leave the gym because of this infraction. So annoying and rude I might add.
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I must have been extraordinarily lucky because the local YMCA and the military gym I go to don't have people wearing excessive perfume, jewelry or makeup. The last two, I wouldn't even notice. The perfume smell I can understand as a concern, but makeup or jewelry? Really? I'm also too busy to notice if other women are wearing jewelry or makeup. I don't even care if they do. No skin off my nose.

it never happens at my gym either, except for January Some people just don't know. I workout year round and everyone else at my gym year round knows not to wear perfumes.
  • carrieous
    Options
    As someone that does have severe asthma, and highly sensitive to perfumes, yes the cleaning aisle in the grocery store is torture (so I make my husband pick up anything we need from there), I know it's MY responsibility to control my asthma triggers. This is one of the reasons I have set up my home gym, because here I can control it.

I can't expect to go to a gym and tell everyone don't wear this or that because it might trigger my asthma, that's not their responsibility or problem its MINE. So I found a solution that works for me, if going to a gym triggers your asthma find a solution that you can control.

I don't run outside because running past people's homes when they are doing laundry irritates my lungs. So I run insdie in a treadmill. Im not super sensitive to perfumes but this gal last night OMG I had to move to a different treadmill- and I couldn't get my airways open for another 30 mins. Just because she wanted to smell "good".
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Im allergic to B.O.

Please wear Deodorant everyone!
  • carrieous
    Options
    oh well this escalated quickly,dint it? LOL SOrry I missed all the replies. I just wanted to post it because their are a lot of new years resolutionists at the gym this time of year that don't know perfumes and colognes are not cool in gyms.

actually I don't know anyone under 60 who even wears the stuff anymore but whatevs. Just keep it out of the gym

KTHXBAI

better to be 60 than to look it :wink:

and anyway, if people dont keep it out of the gym, what are you going to do about it besides start a rant on MFP? :laugh:

not many people wear it anymore, just old ladies IME.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    There should also be a ban on girls who wear makeup to the gym. Seriously, if you don't plan on sweating and ruining your perfectly applied mascara and caked on foundation, then get the hell out. There's no need to look cute when you're working out and you're taking up machines.

Why do you care what I look like when I work out? I kill the gym, 6 days a week. But I prefer to look good doing it. And yup, that means makeup and cute outfits. I sweat like crazy, and wear waterproof eye makeup. Never fails to boggle the mind why so many people care what others do. How about you worry about YOUR workout, and leave me to mine.
    jealousy is a mo-fo….
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    So I can't wear perfume till I'm sixty - SONOFABIAAATCHHHH.
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Runner5AbelTownship Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    "KTHXBAI"

But THAT's acceptable? Good gravy thats like some horrible bastardised version of 'just sayin' but even still worse.
  • sherrihuntsmith
    sherrihuntsmith Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I wear a spritz of perfume on my Wrist. It helps me feel just a little bit more confidentit also serves as a pick me up when I need just a little boost
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    So I can't wear perfume till I'm sixty - SONOFABIAAATCHHHH.

I know! I'm doing it wrong.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, you would hate me. Not because I wear perfume to the gym, but I wear Soapwalla Deodorant Cream because I have some issues with cysts caused by regular deodorants. It contains essential oils, including lavender, tea tree, sweet orange, peppermint, and bergamot, so it's quite scented. Should your asthma, which is readily treatable (I know, because I have it as well), trump my issues which cause physical pain, and affect my everyday life and job if I use other deodorants?

I have asthma too and essential plant oils don't bother me--it is the chemicals that they put in conventional perfumes that do. But, part of the problem of scent is that many women don't follow the rule that my grandmama taught me about perfume: "You don't want to smell like a floozie--your perfume should always be subtle and no one should ever be able to smell it more than a foot away from you." The one-foot rule always worked for me (I would check on it with my friends when I was young, or my hubby after I got married.) Our local theaters ask the patrons to refrain from wearing perfume for the sake of the other patrons. I once attended a play where I was unfortunately placed next to a woman who must have bathed in perfume. I spent a number of minutes of the performance coughing and hacking until I couldn't bear the glares of the other attenders and left. I have the same problem with cigarette smoke. To those of you who angrily assert your right to wear as much perfume as you like in public places, should people be able to smoke in public places then?
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options
    I have mine made for me by a woman in Canada. I could see, give Canada Post's history how it may not arrive until I'm older the 60 but other then that...

I mean, it's all the over 60 folk who are supporting the billion dollar industry? Cause I would SO be behind some peer modeling in advertising if so.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, you would hate me. Not because I wear perfume to the gym, but I wear Soapwalla Deodorant Cream because I have some issues with cysts caused by regular deodorants. It contains essential oils, including lavender, tea tree, sweet orange, peppermint, and bergamot, so it's quite scented. Should your asthma, which is readily treatable (I know, because I have it as well), trump my issues which cause physical pain, and affect my everyday life and job if I use other deodorants?

I have asthma too and essential plant oils don't bother me--it is the chemicals that they put in conventional perfumes that do. But, part of the problem of scent is that many women don't follow the rule that my grandmama taught me about perfume: "You don't want to smell like a floozie--your perfume should always be subtle and no one should ever be able to smell it more than a foot away from you." The one-foot rule always worked for me (I would check on it with my friends when I was young, or my hubby after I got married.) Our local theaters ask the patrons to refrain from wearing perfume for the sake of the other patrons. I once attended a play where I was unfortunately placed next to a woman who must have bathed in perfume. I spent a number of minutes of the performance coughing and hacking until I couldn't bear the glares of the other attenders and left. I have the same problem with cigarette smoke. To those of you who angrily assert your right to wear as much perfume as you like in public places, should people be able to smoke in public places then?

I personally like good cigar bars. They always have a friendly crowd and are generally free of whiners
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

I personally like good cigar bars. They always have a friendly crowd and are generally free of whiners

Well, my...how pleasant of you. :love:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

I'm here 4 u, bb
  • Runner5AbelTownship
    Options

Im with you on the one foot rule. Perfume is something that should be discovered, not something to be assaulted by.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Not my fault you have inferior genetics. *sprays perfume and jumps through mist*

OOOH SNAP!
  • ndj1979
    Options

I'm here 4 u, bb
    in for the cigar bars….
  • ndj1979
    Options

KTHXBAI

34 and wears cologne bc when I do the ladies melt...