Nobel Prize Winner picks Diet of the Future

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think reducing meat consumption is a good goal for sustainability/environmental reasons. Nothing to do with health.

It doesn't matter what we eat, humans will expand to the limit of sustainability - plus a few steps further. This is true whether the diet consists of meat or non-meat.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

http://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/species/mammals/grizzly/grizz_foods.pdf

Now how about my $1,000

First line from your link:
    The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

It didn't say a damn thing about it, because grizzly's aren't carnivores.
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

I also have been wondering what Nobel prize winner in Mathematics or Philosophy for example knows about nutrition to talk eloquently about the diet of the future .

An economist, as well as other scientists can indeed figure out what future resources will allow us to do. You could also read the article I posted above from the guardian. It says the same thing from a different point of view/
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's just because I have a scientific background, but I don't understand why the 'diet of the future' would be inappropriate for an omnivore, which is what humans are. I guess being a Nobel prize winner doesn't include critical thinking skills. :noway:

Well, if everyone on Earth ate the amount of meat we do in the industrialized West, there wouldn't be enough resources to support that level of meat production. It takes FAR more resources to produce animals than it does plants. So, if meat consumption continues to grow as the developing world industrializes, sure, we could face a future in which the planet couldn't sustain 7, 8, or 9 billion people eating a serving of meat 3 times a day.

I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, but I think reducing meat consumption is a good goal for sustainability/environmental reasons. Nothing to do with health.

I wish people who make these claims would start with history of this type of thinking. Start with "An Essay on the Principle of Population" by Thomas Malthus. It's a great example of the problem with linear thinking.

OK, I'll acknowledge that eventually technology could catch up and increase meat production to meet growing demands. Is that what you're looking for?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Grizzly Bears are in the class carnivora. The link attached is to a US Fish And Game publication:

Now how about my $1,000

The grizzly bear, like its cousin the black bear, is omnivorous, meaning it will eat plants, as well as insects and other animals.

Did you even read it?

Yup. The Genius I posted this for said that carnivores eat ONLY meat. Did you read it? Do you think it said that?

Aside from miscategorizing what Carnivora is....they are assuming that Carnivora and carnivore are the same thing. Despite the name similarity, the meaning is not.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Nope, I'm a farm girl...I will always and forever love a good steak and big glass of milk
  • Whambam087
    Options
    There is no one size fits all diet for everybody. Some people do better with higher carbs, others low carb and others do best on a more balanced macro ratio. It's all about finding what works best for you. Some authority can tell me such and such diet is healthy but if I feel like crap on it I don't care what they say.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options

I also have been wondering what Nobel prize winner in Mathematics or Philosophy for example knows about nutrition to talk eloquently about the diet of the future .

An economist, as well as other scientists can indeed figure out what future resources will allow us to do. You could also read the article I posted above from the guardian. It says the same thing from a different point of view/

An economist is far from a scientist. This is getting ridiculous.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So what are these incisor teeth that humans have for? Gnashing broccoli?
    Do you really think they are for ripping raw flesh apart?

Eh, I prefer my flesh cooked, thanks.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUa814suU9A

Now it's gone from pathetic to absurd.

I guess an attack on evolution and the moon landing are next?

gets out tin foil hat….

I think cows were the third shooter on the grassy knoll….
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Now how about my $1,000

Did you even read it?

Aside from miscategorizing what Carnivora is....they are assuming that Carnivora and carnivore are the same thing. Despite the name similarity, the meaning is not.

I'm at a point where I can't tell if they're confused or if I'm confused because I can't grasp what the hell they're trying to prove or who they think they're collecting money from.

Both, probably.

All I know for sure is that now I want a burger.
  • Mr_Knight
    Options
    Bears aren't obligate carnivores.

They are members of Carnivora, which is an entirely different thing.

The vegan dude owes somebody $1000.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

An economist is far from a scientist. This is getting ridiculous.

It's slowly getting there, probably more so than the other social "sciences" but yes, I agree.

Next, we can talk about psychology and the science backing mental diagnoses . . .
  • ndj1979
    Options

He is saying that meat won't be available or considered a good food in the future. He didn't say plants were not appropriate for omnivores. And by the way, humans are herbivores:

You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.

You know, if you actually looked at what I posted you might be in a much better position to understand who was talking, what his arguements were and why he is right. Of course this is the age of the 15 second attention span and soundbites. So to give you a snippet ofWilliam C. Roberts, M.D.

Dr. William Roberts is executive director of the Baylor Cardiovascular Institute of Baylor University Medical Center in Dallas. He received his M.D. from Emory University School of Medicine in 1958. Before coming to Baylor in 1993 he was chief of the pathology branch of the National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, and with his colleagues there published more than 1,150 articles on cardiovascular disease in medical journals. Dr. Roberts has authored several books on cardiovascular disease, has spoken at more than 1,300 medical meetings and serves as editor-in-chief of The American Journal of Cardiology. His research focuses on morphologic aspects of cardiovascular disease. what you missed, here is the Bio of the speaker:

Next time don't criticize a post you haven't read.

what qualifies a cardiologist to speak on evolution? Did he stay at a holiday inn last night?
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Veganism is only possible due to modern agriculture, therefore how is it the way we are supposed to eat?
  • VegesaurusRex
    Options

Now how about my $1,000

Did you even read it?

Really! Why don't you stick your head in one's mouth then?
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Key quote: "...whales are closer to us in appearance than cows."

wat.jpg
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

At this point it is clear you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Time for gifs....
  • ndj1979
    Options

You've just lost all credibility. Educate yourself. And by that , I mean look for sources other than Youtube.
    You simply haven't had enough time to watch the half hour presentation by Dr Roberts, perhaps the top cardiologist in the USA. But of course, why should you. There is no requirement to actually know or understand a subject before sounding off on it.

I tried fixing your quotes.

Go take a look at your teeth in the mirror. Look at your canines. Compare them to the teeth of horses or cows. Read about the differences in the digestive system between us and herbivores.

I almost feel like i am trying to convince a conspiracy theorist that their arguments are flawed. I completely understand and respect being vegan for ethical reasons. Claiming that humanity was meant to be vegan is a slap in evolution's face.

In case you have never had a biology course, here is what the teeth of a meat eater look like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=tiger+teeth&espv=210&es_sm=91&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=3eHaUreEMqbyyAGH7oHYBQ&ved=0CC0QsAQ&biw=1296&bih=779#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=LZDzTcMYGHYEsM%3A;oPGjNHquF5dv_M;http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.myopera.com%2Fladiesman69%2Falbums%2F2191341%2FTiger%2520Teeth.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fmy.opera.com%2Fladiesman69%2Falbums%2Fshowpic.dml%3Falbum%3D2191341%26picture%3D29818041;1024;768

Those are carnivores. We are omnivores.
    In case YOU have never had a biology class before, here's what the teeth of herbivores look like:

stock-photo-close-up-of-horse-teeth-84867928.jpg

Notice the bluntness, relatively large contact surface made for grinding plants. Looks way different than human teeth to me.

Watch the freaken video I posted and then I think you will feel more like the other end of the horse.

apparently, OP's 30 minute video tumps hundreds of years of science….
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Now how about my $1,000

Did you even read it?

But they'd still eat you because they are OMNIVORES.