Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    QUESTION!! Should doing resistance training be in interval days? Or is everyday or 5-6 times a week just fine and/or more effective? + calorie deficit (for losing weight)

If you're doing a split 5-6 days a week is fine. If you're doing full body or upper/lower then the answer is going to be different...
  • JDubIsShrinking
    JDubIsShrinking Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I also love to lift. Cardio? Not a cardio lover. However, for me a mixture of both is what has worked best for me. From what I have read, lifting heavy is best for fat loss. So, my routine is this: Lifting days (usually 3 times a week)... I lift, and then do 15-30 minutes HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). That could be on the elliptical or on the treadmill. On non-lift days, I do cardio of some sort. It could be Zumba, swimming, attending a class at my gym, hiking, etc.
    Overall, find something that you don't hate (regarding cardio) and have at it. Your body will thank you!
  • bazzaking38
    Options
    just keep on mixing what you do every so often so you dont get bored. walking up steep hills or steps burns a lot of cals. weights tone you up and look good but if you have a lot of body fat it will bulk you up and make you look bigger than you are. i am getting my body fat off then hitting the weights to tone myself up but for now biking walking cross country hikes will have to do. i used to do the weights years ago and my weight was heavy but my body was good then but weight is weight and if its too much it is a health risk to carry a lot of baggage . you see a lot of huge body builders fall down with heart attacks so cardio i thinks much better to start with and will ease your bones back into shape before you pound them at a gym with weights.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    you see a lot of huge body builders fall down with heart attacks so cardio i thinks much better to start with and will ease your bones back into shape before you pound them at a gym with weights.

Or all the stims, etc have effed their hearts up.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    BTW, I don't do cardio (though I do play tennis and racquetball).

That sentence can't possibly be true.

I read it as "I don't do cardio, except the cardio that I do"...

In my case I'd frame it as "I don't do cardio machines, I run..."

"Doing cardio" is not fun.

Having fun is fun.

The point is to have fun, not "do cardio." Fun is good for the body and mind. Don't underestimate the psychological and physical benefits of being active and having fun. Torturing yourself by "doing cardio" that's no fun is not good for you.

You are just arguing semantics. If it makes it more fun for you to not think of it as "cardio" or not think you are "doing it", then go with that. It will still be good for your cardiovascular health no matter what you call it.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Of course the more you can get exercise in the better. I see people all the time at the gym who are heavy and only come 2-3 times a week. 3 months later they still look the same. You have to be in it to win it.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    No need to choose, do both, but the key is finding something you enjoy. The case for lifting has been made so I won't bother except to agree with the benefits and second the recommendations for the Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting books. But cardio is very beneficial and heart healthy. Cardiologist always recommend cardio exercise for keeping the heart rate elevated ( above 70%) at a minimum of 20 to 30 continuous minutes "most" days of the week. Personally I would struggle and probably fail if my only options were the elliptical or stationary bike, but I just love running and cycling outdoors. I lift three days a week then do a short run (30 to 45 minutes) afterwards then cycle on two to three days a week. I lift because I know I need to, but I run and cycle because it is so enjoyable (especially the cycling, for me). Mountain biking, road biking, trail running all in the beautiful outdoors. Getting healthy has never been so much fun!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    you see a lot of huge body builders fall down with heart attacks so cardio i thinks much better to start with and will ease your bones back into shape before you pound them at a gym with weights.

I see a lot of huge fat people fall down with heart attacks. I also see a lot of thin people fall down with heart attacks.

"Huge bodybuilders" tend to be juiced out of their minds. The idea that the thing killing them in large numbers, if they actually do even die in large numbers, is the lack of cardio is ridiculous.
  • jimmmer
    Options
    Of course the more you can get exercise in the better. I see people all the time at the gym who are heavy and only come 2-3 times a week. 3 months later they still look the same. You have to be in it to win it.

This is, pardon me, bollocks.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I do both weight training and cardio and find them equally beneficial.

I think it purely comes down to your specific fitiness goals.

Here's an article I found interesting:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/betteru23.htm

Best of luck!

:smile:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    BTW, I don't do cardio (though I do play tennis and racquetball).

That sentence can't possibly be true.

I read it as "I don't do cardio, except the cardio that I do"...

In my case I'd frame it as "I don't do cardio machines, I run..."

"Doing cardio" is not fun.

Having fun is fun.

The point is to have fun, not "do cardio." Fun is good for the body and mind. Don't underestimate the psychological and physical benefits of being active and having fun. Torturing yourself by "doing cardio" that's no fun is not good for you.

You are just arguing semantics. If it makes it more fun for you to not think of it as "cardio" or not think you are "doing it", then go with that. It will still be good for your cardiovascular health no matter what you call it.

I suggest that it's you who is arguing semantics. I made earlier that I define "doing cardio" as exercising with the primary intent of getting cardiovascular exercise. You are trying to perpetuate a fight about what "doing cardio" means by defining it to include any sort of exercise at all.

I'm not interested in that argument.

I have said several times and will say again, for the last time in this thread: doing exercise with the primary goal of simply exercising is boring and I don't do it, nor would I recommend anyone do it. What I do recommend is finding something active that one genuinely enjoys and doing that instead.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Definitely lift weights. That'll put you in the right direction.

I believe in both cardio and weights. I have things I do naturally that are cardio and I don't specifically seek out cardio, whereas I specifically seek out weights.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour.

More is not better.
  • chrs86
    Options
    No need to choose, do both, but the key is finding something you enjoy. The case for lifting has been made so I won't bother except to agree with the benefits and second the recommendations for the Starting Strength and New Rules of Lifting books. But cardio is very beneficial and heart healthy. Cardiologist always recommend cardio exercise for keeping the heart rate elevated ( above 70%) at a minimum of 20 to 30 continuous minutes "most" days of the week. Personally I would struggle and probably fail if my only options were the elliptical or stationary bike, but I just love running and cycling outdoors. I lift three days a week then do a short run (30 to 45 minutes) afterwards then cycle on two to three days a week. I lift because I know I need to, but I run and cycle because it is so enjoyable (especially the cycling, for me). Mountain biking, road biking, trail running all in the beautiful outdoors. Getting healthy has never been so much fun!

I don't know how anyone can enjoy sweating their butt of for an hour in a gym. Outdoors is enjoyable. Exercise classes are better for people who can't handle the workouts (not enjoyable) on their own. Join a gym that offers many different classes to help with that.
  • chrs86
    Options
    @jonnythan

How long did it take you to lose the weight? And more is better!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Arg!! This thread is making me want to hit the weights so bad! Membership is coming soon. *sigh*
  • jonnythan
    Options

More is not better.

No, more is not better. Not in terms of training goals or weight loss. Recovery and overuse injuries are real, serious things.
  • jimmmer
    Options

More is not better.

If you see exercise a primarily a vehicle for caloric burns then you would think that more is better. But that would show you misunderstand things....
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options

Or all the stims, etc have effed their hearts up.

I'm sorry but "easing bones back into shape" is what stood out here for me...

OP, I'm too lazy to go back and quote was jonnythan said.
    But New Rules of Lifting is a good book to read and I agree with him that it gets overly complicated. And quickly.
    Not every gym has all the equipment required by the program.

That said, I still reccommend that you read this book.
    Twice. Cover to cover.

And look into Stronglifts 5x5.
    It's simple. 5 lifts to remember.
    NROLFW had 12 for the 1st stage alone. And you had to remember what got supersetted with what and how many reps & sets.

Make sure the trainer you're meeting with has the knowledge to show you barbell lifts if that's what you decide to do.
    Not all trainers know olympic lifts (though they should)

I do 10min of cardio as a warm up and then lift.
    I go at 5am and I'm not going from my bed to lifting anything over like 10# without waking up.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    @jonnythan

No.