Cardio vs Weights

Options

Replies

• snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    If you can’t stand doing 30+ minutes on a cardio machine, try doing 10-15 minutes at a time before and after your weight workout.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    @jonnythan. It doesn't have to be everyday hardcore workout, but something. So maybe more is better for the under 30 crowd who are less prone to injury.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    @jonnythan. It doesn't have to be everyday hardcore workout, but something. So maybe more is better for the under 30 crowd who are less prone to injury.

Also false.

I'm 24 and more is not better.
    As jonnythan said, overuse injuries are a real thing.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    just keep on mixing what you do every so often so you dont get bored. walking up steep hills or steps burns a lot of cals. weights tone you up and look good but if you have a lot of body fat it will bulk you up and make you look bigger than you are. i am getting my body fat off then hitting the weights to tone myself up but for now biking walking cross country hikes will have to do. i used to do the weights years ago and my weight was heavy but my body was good then but weight is weight and if its too much it is a health risk to carry a lot of baggage . you see a lot of huge body builders fall down with heart attacks so cardio i thinks much better to start with and will ease your bones back into shape before you pound them at a gym with weights.

Nope.
  • chasfh
    chasfh Posts: 4
    Options
    I too do cardio and weights. I work at a desk at home so I have to do roughly 1-1/2 hours of cardio a day, 6 days a week, just to keep moving. So I do 35 minutes of recumbent bike in front of a TV, to catch up on news or Bill Maher or MLB Network or whatever.

The other thing I like to do: 75 flights of stairs, twice a day, six days a week. That's up and down a flight of stairs 15 times, five sets (15 x 5 = 75), with a minute of walking in between sets. Takes 25 minutes total. I listen to podcasts while I do it, and talk about weight dropping off: on a 2,000 calorie-a-day diet, I'm still dropping 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a week.

I also have to run/walk for 15 minutes 3x/week because I am recovering from ACL reconstruction surgery, and I do upper body weights 3x week. But you want to strengthen those legs and drop weight? Try working in a session of 75 flights of stairs.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

I go to the gym 3 times a week for an hour.

More is not better.

How long did it take you to lose the weight? And more is better!

If you see exercise a primarily a vehicle for caloric burns then you would think that more is better. But that would show you misunderstand things....

This.

Also, this user's recorded calorie burns (1000 calories/hr on a Cybex) and macro intake (3 grams of fat on January 19 and 20) suggest a severe lack of understanding of nutrition and fitness.

Chrs, I strongly suggest you start yourself a new thread asking for advice. Your diet is poorly thought out and your ideas about exercise are dangerous and wrong.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Exercise for the sake of exercise is boring.

And a waste of energy.

I try to have physical work projects that I can do several times a week- landscaping, painting, plumbing, building.

We have a small farm so my workouts are also often work - gardening, weed eating, chopping and stacking firewood, weedeating, mowing, digging, weed eating, repairing .. did I mention weed eating?

But boring is just an opinion. I also enjoy exercising for no other reason that I need exercise. And whatever the reason or enjoyment level, exercise is key for long term health. I don't see how that could ever be considered a waste of energy.
  • chrs86
    Options
    It's pretty hard to get injured once your body is used to the workouts. Start slow and work up more days as you get used to it.
  • Missyjules1974
    Missyjules1974 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had a heart attack at 33. When I went to cardiac rehab the consultant cardiologist said "weights are not exercise" 5 x 45 per week cardio is essential. Maybe not for weight loss but for heart health.
  • chrs86
    Options
    @jonnythan that wasn't on cybex alone. That was with an hour of swimming also.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Cardio vs Weights

I've always loved how it's turned into one or the other. That's not how it's supposed to be.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    BTW, I don't do cardio (though I do play tennis and racquetball).
    lulz.

"I don't always do cardio, but when I do, I call it something else."
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

You recorded 30 minutes of Cybex as 499 calories, or 1000 calories per hour. This is inaccurate.

You recorded 3 grams of fat intake on the 19th and 20th. This is dangerously, ridiculously low.

You recorded 671 calories of total intake yesterday. On a day you recorded over 400 calories of exercise calories.

You are doing this all very, very wrong. I suggest you seek the advice of those who are more knowledgeable and experienced than yourself, and to refrain from giving dangerous advice like "more is always better" in this thread.

Keep following your own dangerous path if you wish, but you have to stop giving dangerous advice to other people.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    It's pretty hard to get injured once your body is used to the workouts. Start slow and work up more days as you get used to it.

Just stop.

You can injure yourself at any time whether youre used to the workout or not.
  • chrs86
    Options
    @ jonnythan I'm on a calorie deficit til I reach my goal. You're a weight loss expert if you had to lose 60lbs.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

You recorded 30 minutes of Cybex as 499 calories, or 1000 calories per hour. This is inaccurate.

You recorded 3 grams of fat intake on the 19th and 20th. This is dangerously, ridiculously low.

You recorded 671 calories of total intake yesterday. On a day you recorded over 400 calories of exercise calories.

You are doing this all very, very wrong. I suggest you seek the advice of those who are more knowledgeable and experienced than yourself, and to refrain from giving dangerous advice like "more is always better" in this thread.

Just quoting for truth.

I hit 42g of fat yesterday and its still pathetically low.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

bull crap...I had more injury when I was younger then I do now. (I think it was that whole I know all and I am invincible thing that young people have, I watch my son all the time do stupid crap in our home gym and get hurt)

As for the more is better bull crap...I lift 3x a week...sessions ranging from 1hour to 1hour 15mins...Squats in each session...if I did that 5x a week I would not be giving my body time to rest and heal...

As for the Cardio and all..I hate cardio...I wont do it...but as Johnny said I will get on my bike and go for a ride...or do Wii just dance...that is not purposeful cardio for the sake of doin cardio that is fun.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    lulz.

:laugh:
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @ jonnythan I'm on a calorie deficit til I reach my goal. If i wanted to purge myself and eat more I would have 50lbs to lose like yourself so don't act like a weight loss expert when you let yourself get that overweight.

YOu did not jus say that..really????

LIsten to him young whipper snapper...out of a lot of people here he knows what he is talking about for sure...even if he can be a bit "blunt"

*waits for this one to eat crow soon considering what he just said*
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    lulz.

:laugh:

I see the point both of you are making.
    But im kind of with jonnythan here.
    Those activities are cardio but he's not doing them for that reason.
    Just like I go hiking and running because I enjoy them not because I feel I need to do cardio. For that purpose, I use the elliptical or some other machine.