This is what is wrong with the fitness industry

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think a man could just as easily take offense at that photo. "Why is the 'mens' bell not big and bulky, too? Why is it not aesthetically pleasing with nice colors and edges?"

Except for it's not a men's bell and a women's bell there. It's just two bells in two styles. One has a woman on the tag, one has a woman on the box (I assume the arms woman is used to market the bell she's holding in the pic). I imagine they're also both marketed to men since neither is labeled with a gender recommendation.

So in a way the people assuming the pink bell is the woman's bell are the ones stereotyping women.
  • unhgoose
    unhgoose Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    We share the housework fairly equally...though I probably do a little more. However beause of the commercials she sees, my 5 year old is always asking me and only me if I'd like a new vacuum, Lysol, mop, etc, etc...

*This was in response to someone saying that house cleaning commercials are VERY gendered.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    This is what's wrong with all advertising. There's a lot of criticism for the way toys are marketed as well.

ToysRUs-2-550x414.jpg

I just intend to buy my daughter toys that will be fun for her. I always wanted an erector set, but never got one, because it was a "boy toy." Same went for Transformers, model cars, and chemistry sets. Hrmmph! However, I adored my Barbies and Barbie playsets, too. So, yeah, she'll have/she has "pink and blue" toys and can be a "pirate princess," if she wants to be. :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the fitness industry. It's doing what it's supposed to... making billions of dollars. The problem is with those who spend their money there.
    I agree to a point. Remember the housing crash? Weren't the banks and lenders doing "what they were supposed to do...........make billions of dollars" with deceptive tactics?
    While I believe individuals should be responsible for actions, some actions took were because they were deceived.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • charlychops
    Options
    Those kettlebells look like they'd really be good for toning

LOL
  • michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    We share the housework fairly equally...though I probably do a little more. However beause of the commercials she sees, my 5 year old is always asking me and only me if I'd like a new vacuum, Lysol, mop, etc, etc...

*This was in response to someone saying that house cleaning commercials are VERY gendered.

Interesting, I do all the cleaning, laundry and cooking in my house and the kids picked up on the commercials as meaning their mother wasn't doing her job.
  • Ferrous_Female_Dog
    Ferrous_Female_Dog Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I blame the advertising industry more than the fitness industry.

At it's core, the fitness industry does want people to get fit and train more, so they end up need more expensive specialized equipment, accessories, supplements, etc.

The advertising industry just wants to make money. It doesn't care if you stay fat or not. They just have to stage things so that it looks appealing to the end consumer, whether or not it's an accurate representation of the product.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I blame the advertising industry more than the fitness industry.

At it's core, the fitness industry does want people to get fit and train more, so they end up need more expensive specialized equipment, accessories, supplements, etc.

The advertising industry just wants to make money. It doesn't care if you stay fat or not. They just have to stage things so that it looks appealing to the end consumer, whether or not it's an accurate representation of the product.
    Lots of what the fitness industry spouts is BS. If you've watched it like I have, there are cycles of different approaches that gain popularity only to die out, then get revamped into a new "exercise" program. Aerobics were very popular in the 80's, then came step in the late 80's early 90's. The 90's were a mixture of Taebo, bootcamp, kickboxing, etc. And now one of the most common is "functional" training which was initially used for rehabilitation yet was morphed into the fitness industry.
    While there have been strides in the actual science, there is still a lot of broscience being touted by fitness trainers out there who really have no understanding about physiology or nutrition. But they say it because it's makes them money.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with the fitness industry. It's doing what it's supposed to... making billions of dollars. The problem is with those who spend their money there.
    I agree to a point. Remember the housing crash? Weren't the banks and lenders doing "what they were supposed to do...........make billions of dollars" with deceptive tactics?
    While I believe individuals should be responsible for actions, some actions took were because they were deceived.
    At least the FTC is getting involved more and ridiculous marketing claims like ones for Skechers Shape Ups and some supplements are being shot down in the form of the companies having to pay back some money to consumers. Though I wonder if the millions they have to pay is significant compared to the added sales they get from the false advertising claims.

I wish the FTC would make them pay for TV commercials that have them admit they made false claims. I still see those shoes on the store shelves. I guess you can sell them, you just can't say they'll 'tone you'. I've boycotted Reebok since they jumped on that bandwagon, too.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    At least the FTC is getting involved more and ridiculous marketing claims like ones for Skechers Shape Ups and some supplements are being shot down in the form of the companies having to pay back some money to consumers. Though I wonder if the millions they have to pay is significant compared to the added sales they get from the false advertising claims.

I wish the FTC would make them pay for TV commercials that have them admit they made false claims. I still see those shoes on the store shelves. I guess you can sell them, you just can't say they'll 'tone you'. I've boycotted Reebok since they jumped on that bandwagon, too.
    Companies get away will millions versus what they actually pay out in law suits. Most end users don't even bother with claiming any money even if it's publicly announced that the company is being sued.
    Far worse though is the diet industry. Especially with books because the first amendment protects free speech and any author can convey whatever diet program they want to and there will be followers who buy into it. Remember Kevin Trudeau?

IDEA Fitness member
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Screw pink. I want these: http://www.demonbells.com/product_p/2.htm
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    Good point. To me, what's worse than books is the supplements. Especially when you have people like Jillian Michaels lending her face to 'fat burners', not that she doesn't lend her face to any product, as far as I can tell. Her actual education in the industry fits in a thimble but she's become America's fitness authority.

Don't even get me started on BeachBody.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    20140118_181843.jpg

I snapped this shot at a local ****'s Sporting Goods. This was the heaviest of the "pretty" kettlebells clearly being marketed to women, and the lightest of the one's being marketed neutrally (or to men for that matter). Yes, they are the same exact weight.

Additionally, here's the model used in the marketing campagin:

20140118_181855.jpg

The woman has absolutely ZERO muscle. That has to be the first time she even though about lifting a kettlebell. And is it just me, or are those arms a bit to Gumby-like to be natural? For her sake, I hope there is some photoshop occurring....

Those look like my arms in that same position. It doesn't matter how much I lift or how much I can lift, I don't gain much visible muscle in my arms. Ever. No worries about looking manly over here. Sigh.

I learned how to hold my arms in ballet so that it didn't look like I was about to start flapping away. I have to curve them more.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

too bad those are so expensive- I'd love a set.

That being said that poor woman looks like a photo shop night mare. She's just a mess. Seriously- I feel really bad for her.

And yes- I hate that the fitness industry things my vagina must have pink things in order to work out- it's so insulting.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    And yes- I hate that the fitness industry things my vagina must have pink things in order to work out- it's so insulting.

Ironically this seems to be the opposite sentiment of the OP... i think
  • pavrg
    pavrg Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Companies get away will millions versus what they actually pay out in law suits. Most end users don't even bother with claiming any money even if it's publicly announced that the company is being sued.
    Far worse though is the diet industry. Especially with books because the first amendment protects free speech and any author can convey whatever diet program they want to and there will be followers who buy into it. Remember Kevin Trudeau?
    Eh, free speech doesn't protect people when they make false claims that can actually be harmful to other people who listen.

I think the problem is multifaceted:
    1) There hasn't been a lawyer who cares enough to try to bring up a case, or the case is too weak to bother.
    2) Regarding fitness magazines, they can always find an expert that will support the article and thus are absolved of any responsibility for the negative consequences of following it.
    3) If the author is a PhD or MD, you get into protecting academic freedom.

Whatever the case, it is exceptionally unethical for someone to use his/her position of authority to push a fad diet or exercise program to make a buck. You'd like to make laws to shut these guys up, but then how do you prevent the same laws from silencing a legitimate breakthrough that defies conventional wisdom?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Eh, free speech doesn't protect people when they make false claims that can actually be harmful to other people who listen.

I think the problem is multifaceted:
    1) There hasn't been a lawyer who cares enough to try to bring up a case, or the case is too weak to bother.
    2) Regarding fitness magazines, they can always find an expert that will support the article and thus are absolved of any responsibility for the negative consequences of following it.
    3) If the author is a PhD or MD, you get into protecting academic freedom.

Whatever the case, it is exceptionally unethical for someone to use his/her position of authority to push a fad diet or exercise program to make a buck. You'd like to make laws to shut these guys up, but then how do you prevent the same laws from silencing a legitimate breakthrough that defies conventional wisdom?
    Lol, unfortunately the amount of money made on these programs trumps ethics for many of these people.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    I have a 25 pound, cast iron kettle bell, and I already feel that it is getting too light for me. I am getting a heavier one soon.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    IDk.

If they made an entire line of pink kettle balls that went heavy (and I was into kettle balls) I'd probably buy them because I like the color pink.

I agree I like pink...I would buy pink plates for lifting, I want pink gloves with orange lacy bits and pink and orange shoes...

so what it's pink.

ETA I don't want to live in a gender neutral society ...I am not a feminist either, I am just a woman who likes pink, I like purple and blue too..and when I had my son...he never wore pink as a baby..if he wants to now fine...he preferred trucks to dolls didn't have much to do with me.
    Like so?

tumblr_m6a9nkpMTI1qfg4g6o1_500.jpg

I would totally buy those.

For sure...that way they know it's a woman lifting those heavy plates up cause no man gonna use pink plates...:laugh:

I might have to go buy some spray paint...:drinker:

ETA they even have a pink box for them....yah

Yeah but see, now some feminist will complain "they have a separate workout area for women, like they cant lift normal weights, that's so sexist!"...

I do wonder about the color association, maybe loading up a guy's bench press with pink weights will help him increase, because hey, they've got to be easy girlie weights right?!?! ;)
  • ImpishVanity
    ImpishVanity Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I would really just like to see ANY color in weights. I don't care if it's pink, blue, purple, green, etc. Why does everything have to be grey and bland? BORING