Punishment for my son. I need ideas!

Options

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    start rewarding him. you heard me.

don't go nuts and buy him an xbox one, but just start getting him things. why? "because you're doing so great at school." guilt trip him like a hispanic catholic mother.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I'm not a parent, but I play one on TV...

Generally positive reinforcement works better than negative reinforcement. I hated doing homework as a kid. Still hate it, but now I have a goal of finishing my bachelor's degree (and Zeus willing a better job someday).

Whatever you take away he stil gets out of doing what he hates. Someone asked if he just stared at the ceiling when he got home. When I was his age I would have preferred staring at the ceiling to doing homework.

Anyway, what I am trying to get at is why don't you reward him for doing homework rather than punish him for not doing it? There must be something he loves that he might find worthwhie enough that he'll do his assigments.
  • LivvyOwl97
    LivvyOwl97 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Maybe punishment isn't always the key? You could try asking him what's making him not want to do his homework, kids can be under a lot of pressure at school and there are plenty of underlying expectations, especially for a pre-teen boy, that they have to live up to. For example, he will have a lot of pressure to be a "lad", which would involve not doing homework or showing any motivation within school and the best way to stop that is by teaching him that he's not going to be seen as a loser or "weak" if he does do his homework and that it will benefit him in the long run. If you deny him things without looking at things from his point of view then he will further turn away from figures of authority and will rebel even more.
  • briannw
    briannw Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree with being more involved. Rather than taking things away, remind him of what he gets to do when he is done with all homework/chores - - sports, video games, TV, something interesting with you, friends etc. With us the carrot seems to work better than the stick. if that does not work... more pushups!!!
  • JOEYJACKMOM
    Options
    I would teach him organizational skills. Help him to figure out why he can't remember to do his homework and what strategies for success he can develop to keep up with his stuff better. Consequences may be the motivation he needs to stick to his strategies, but basic time management and organizational skills are learned.

My son runs laps when he doesn't complete his work in a timely fashion. He also has a stop-watch that he sets to help him get tasks accomplished in an allotted time. These things have worked WONDERS for him and his grades!

Maybe you could have your son make to do lists and get them signed off by teachers and he only gets rewarded if it is all done.
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My kid had this problem beginning 6th. Thankfully, the school has an online site in which I can monitor his progress and see what assignments were not turned in. So I made a deal with him, since the purpose of homework was to reinforce what you've learned in school, any missed homework would result in an assignment I gave him...twice! (and he's still required to turn in the one missed regardless). Same applies to a poor test/quiz grade.

He slipped a few times, but not anymore. You can download tons of worksheets online. It turned out he was struggling with the assignments so he ignored them. In retrospect, he just needed help. You kill 2 birds with this since he either reinforces what he knows or it discloses the challenges he has in the assignment.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Don't be a helicopter parent. There are natural consquences for him not doing his homework. He'll experience them and make changes. It's hard to sit back and let him do that but in the long run, both of your lives will be much better and less stressful.

The all-knowing, all-powerful Max

(pay no attention the man behind the curtain)

This is such good advice. He can get bad grades now, and it will not affect his chances for college. If you bail him out now, you may have to keep bailing him out throughout high school, and then what happens when he gets to college or, heaven forbid, a job.
    Let him fail now
    And, let him know you are there to help him when he wants to start trying -- with advice on how to apply oneself to a task, tutors, whatever.
  • DouMc
    DouMc Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but generally speaking reward systems are more effective for changing behaviour than punishment. You could combine the two but he is more likely to be enthusiastic about doing work if there is something in it for him. So for example if he completes his homework every day for a week then do something that he really enjoys at the weekend. When he starts doing that regularly make it more difficult so that he has to complete it every day for two weeks and so on.
    If you are going to use punishment then I wouldn't punish him for low grades unless you know for a fact that he is able to do better in that particular subject. Imagine how stressful is would be for him to be coerced into getting a good grade in a subject which he finds very difficult.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Don't be a helicopter parent. There are natural consquences for him not doing his homework. He'll experience them and make changes. It's hard to sit back and let him do that but in the long run, both of your lives will be much better and less stressful.

The all-knowing, all-powerful Max

(pay no attention the man behind the curtain)

I agree, helicopter parents make life difficult for their children. Let him fail. What happens to you when you don't do something you are supposed to do.....there is a consequence. Let him learn about consequences. There is no better teacher than failure.

Are you serious right now? Providing consequences for your children so that they can avoid setting their lives up for failure is actually what a parent is supposed to do. Do you really think he will care if he flunks math now? He might care when he is 30 and flipping burgers, but not right now.

I am very serious.

Okay... so he flunks 7th grade because he won't do homework. You just cut his post-education options in half. Now he is in a class full of kids younger than him and he's pissed off so he gets the reputation of a trouble-maker that follows him through high school. Now the likelihood of him furthering his education is even more greatly reduced, reducing his potential future income. With the rate of inflation, it is pretty likely that he will not be able to make a livable wage... so now he must lean on you. At this point, it's too late to teach him responsibility and independence.

But hey... you didn't make his education a priority to you, and therefore, it never became a priority for him.

I do agree that there are some instances where a kid needs to fall down and learn to get up on his own. Letting them fail at certain things does teach life lessons. But education, IMO, is not one of them. My son was notorious for not doing his homework. He would tell my husband and I, "I know it. I know I know it and I don't have to prove to anyone else I know it." Uh. Yes, you do. We pointed out that there were things in our jobs we had to do that we thought were silly too, but we still have to do them. That's life. Suck it up and do it.

Each kid has to learn in their own way. My son is now 17 and does all his homework without being told. You have to figure out a way to reach him because each kid is different and only you know your kid.

But I disagree that now is the time to let him fail 7th grade math. That life lesson is for different circumstances.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I've been through this... I checked in with his teachers (each one) every day for assignments. I made sure there was follow through. I checked back in to see if it happened and what else he was "due". Every stinking day. At the "good check in" for each teacher he got a reward daily. At end of the day with all done and he could show me it was done, he earned a privilege if he did his assignments (I knew exactly what it was and knew what to look for). At the end of the week if all went well he got another reward. Reward driven. Just like MFP is. Trouble with these kids is they look to short term reward vs long term disadvantage. They do what's best for right now. Not next week. Take it all away and they still have no incentive. It has to be incentive driven. built on positives. I know, I know, it's soooo hard to reward a kid that's bent on doing as little as possible and can't see any advantage except right now. But any positive builds more positive. And confidence. Then pride. Then self esteem. Truth is, their brain is just too busy at this age. He will get better--at age 30!! Ha!!! (not really kidding there). Hang in there. Reward yourself, too. This is a hard age to parent.
    Unfortunately it's on you to do all this checking and hauling his butt back to school to get forgotten items, and rechecking.
    I did the taking away until it was just food and shelter. Didn't work. The school did everything they could do, and couldn't get results. Get through, help him get through, until he can get through on his own and it's up to him to lead his life. That's how it's going to work. One day it'll not be anyone but his problem, that's when he might just step up. You, the parent, have to get him there. That's the job you signed up for. Not every kid is easy. Some are really challenging! But what are you going to do? He's yours and that's the job.
    Some kids need to fail to learn. But you know there are the kids who just can't get it together no matter how capable they seem like they could be. They just need more maturity and time.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I saw a video on FB that showed a parent going to school with their daughter who was acting up in class--went to every class with her and sat thru each of her classes until she straightened up and started taking school seriously. How embarrasing to have a parent there all the time!

Don't know if you're in a position to be able to do that...but I sure wish I would have thought of that when my daughter was in school!

This is a horrible thing to do to a kid. My mother did it to me and I hated her for it. I know that shaming your kids is all the rage right now and people think it's great but it's not. Publicly shaming your children is cruel and base. It was a turning point in my previously good relationship with my mother and I didn't trust her for years.

Okay, serious answer time. I completely agree with the people who said to set aside time to sit down with him. Maybe kids that age don't want help from mom or dad and maybe he doesn't even need it. But it's likely he won't ask for it if he does and the only way you'll know is if you try. Kids do need and even want structure (whether or not they know it) so set times and standards for homework and study is a must. I'm a HUGE fan of positive reinforcement but it doesn't work unless it's something important to him. I mentioned the monetary thing my parents did for me. It wasn't at all important to me in middle school but was super important to me once I was in high school, so at that point it did start working. Maybe he gets home, does his homework, you review with him, and then he gets the wifi password for the day, assuming he doesn't need it for homework. Or his xbox controller or cell phone or whatever. Good luck, Sarah!
  • urban_ninja
    urban_ninja Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You can also ask his teachers for worksheets. They'll always happily oblige.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I went with a few approaches...

1. I let him fail. I knew I couldn't force it to get done, short of sitting with him all day, every day, and I wasn't going to do that.
    2. I explained the consequences of failure from the schools (such as having to retake the class, teachers and parents nagging him, etc. I put it in long-term and short-term categories. I knew he wouldn't listen much to either, but repetition sometimes sinks through)
    3. I explained the short-term and long-term consequences of failure at home. My kids got lectures on grades if they got Cs (because they were capable of As and Bs) and groundings at Ds and below.

Some of my at-home consequences:
    1. No electronics for a defined period (typically dependent on improvement of grades. Small, incremental steps upward got small, incremental returns)
    2. Reduction or elimination of social activities
    3. Long-term grade failure = long-term removals of items loved, such as being in band, after school sports, etc.

I did my best not to helicopter it at all, because I know sometimes you have to let them fail. It'll suck, and they'll hate it, but they'll learn eventually.

One of my four had serious issues with this up through sophomore year then pulled it together. Two of mine rarely if ever had any issues like this. The fourth sometimes did but always listened and turned it around.

For the one that had ongoing issues with it, we learned not to over-punish otherwise we were in lockdown mode all the time and it was exhausting on us. But we set clear expectations and requirements, and we made sure they knew we were there to help with homework questions or just general guidance, and we then had consequences for failing to meet requirements. When he found something he loved (track), he suddenly didn't want to risk not doing it, so he pulled it together. Then he grew up a bit, realized he did want to go to school, and while he still struggled at times, he actually listened and made an effort, so punishments went away. In junior high though, he needed restrictions and consequences both at school and at home.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    My daughter has been failing to turn in assignments and lying about having homework as well. Now, she has mandatory study. If she says she doesn't have any homework, I pull out workbooks on math and give her 4 lessons worth of work or make her write me a paper on something she has to research. Yesterday, it was on polar bears. An when she brought it to me and it said "polar bears reach sexual maturity at age 4" she had to rewrite it because she couldn't tell me what that means. She is 8 and got an F in finishing homework assignments. She spent hours yesterday writing on polar bears.

I'm sure doing the one page assignment from the teacher looks like the better option as I've started seeing more homework come through the door.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the replies but generally speaking reward systems are more effective for changing behaviour than punishment. You could combine the two but he is more likely to be enthusiastic about doing work if there is something in it for him. So for example if he completes his homework every day for a week then do something that he really enjoys at the weekend. When he starts doing that regularly make it more difficult so that he has to complete it every day for two weeks and so on.
    If you are going to use punishment then I wouldn't punish him for low grades unless you know for a fact that he is able to do better in that particular subject. Imagine how stressful is would be for him to be coerced into getting a good grade in a subject which he finds very difficult.

This is a good point too. When negative reinforcement doesn't work, positive reinforcement usually will. Maybe you can promise him a weekend activity if his teacher reports that he turned in his homework every day.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I'd make sure there isn't an issue with understanding the homework first. When my youngest son doesn't understand what's going on in school he sometimes "forgets" to bring it home because he is embarrassed to ask for help. If I think he's having problems, I sit down with him and help or I ask him to let me review it when he's done.

With respect to the general forgetting to do and turn in homework, my tact is different, but it seems to work for my kids. I pay them. My kids get an allowance - a payday twice a month. The money goes directly to their savings, but they are allowed to access a small amount of it for their own use to spend however they please with no questions asked by me. To earn their allowance, they must do expected chores and homework. If not, they don't get paid. No negotiation on the amounts, no "partial payment" - they either get paid or don't. They like having the spending money and the freedom to do with it as they please, and they like knowing knowing that they are gaining in their savings account. I rarely have to ask them to do anything anymore.
  • ohiowhthse
    Options
    Okay so if punishing him by removing things from him don't affect change, then it's not going to matter what you take away, or make him do. He's in that stage where he's trying to find where he "fits". In my classroom there are many students who don't do their homework and the natural consequence to that is failing or not passing. Is he overall failing his classes, or is it just the homework that has you so upset? Here's why I ask, do you know really why he's not doing his homework? Do you have a structured time when he is to sit down and do it, with you or someone else around to ensure that he's actually doing it? Is there a specific class he's not doing it in? He is obviously not motivated to do it, but there has to be a reason why. If taking things away doesn't work, then look at his aspect, what can you do to ensure he is successful? What does he want to do later in life? Does he have any short term/long term goals? For the classroom if there are a large number of students who aren't doing their homework, then there is a system set in place where the students pick a goal, with a preferred choice of reward. LET HIM pick the reward, like earning back x, or going to somewhere cool, or having friends over etc. Then as he becomes more successful, increase the goal expectation gradually removing the rewards and this whole time, express the respect and admiration he should be getting not only at home, but the pay off of good grades. At the beginning of each school year, my own children set goals, especially for the end of the school year. You must allow him to see that setting goals and reaching them is a reward all in itself without giving him something if that makes sense. Talk to the teachers, see if there are also other behavior concerns at school. Consistent conversation would be beneficial from teacher to you, so you know what the homework is, and when it's due. Don't hold just yourself accountable, but also your son and his teachers. School doesn't have a positive reward system for students who make progress or are successful? Every small step towards a goal is setting a path of success and good planning as an adult.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    1) Get his energy level correct. Is he getting tons of protein and nutrition? Macros? Micros? Growing boys need food to stay mentally energized. Do you use MFP for him?

It could be a case of mental fatigue. Worse it could be clinical depression (super common)

2) Spend a lot of time talking having long conversations about everything in life and goals and aspirations. Parental education. Father figure out there?

3) Use a combination of a 5:1 positive:negative reinforcements. There should be a many reasons to do something. As opposed to utilizing fear. Positive reinforcement >>> (This can be verbal)
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    My parents had a grade/freedom chart. Down the left side it had all the things I did: watch tv, have tv in room, be out past dark, have car, drive car, play sports, go to friends etc etc etc. Across the top was GPA (from 0.0 – 4.0). Depending on what the freedom was, I had to maintain a certain GPA. I might only have to have a 3.0 to own my car, but I would have to have a 3.7 to actually drive the thing. Every quarter, we’d take my report card, figure the GPA and lay a ruler down the chart to see what I could and couldn’t do, what I was going to get or get taken away, how cool my life was going to be or how bad it was going to suck. I hated that effing chart but looking back I think it was an excellent approach. It gave a clear explanation of consequences vs. expectations. It was way better than having something happen, my parents get pissed and randomly select a punishment. I knew that if I didn’t keep my grades at a certain level, exactly what I was going to lose. It sounds like you’re taking his stuff away when he does badly. This only allows him to react to the sudden change and possible just get pissed at you instead of accept he did this.

THIS ^^^ is textbook. Clearly defined consequences and rewards. No question of fairness because everything is established before hand. The child, not the parent, is responsible for developing the correct work ethic approach. About the only thing that could make this more effective from a behavioral standpoint is to sit down with the kid before hand and have THEM help you develop the the consequences and rewards and levels on the chart. Might I suggest researching GPA requirements with them for the careers they are interested in (someone mentioned engineering).
  • karenmcwilly53
    karenmcwilly53 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Does he know if he doesn't do his homework he may have to go to summer school? That thought might get him going.:noway: :noway: