Warning! Beware of the Atkins diet

Options

Replies

• FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    10% of the subjects reported hair loss in a 6 month period. That's a very convincing correlation.
    Correlation=/=Causation:grumble:
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm here for the bro science about how you need starchy carbs to live.

Are you referring to every carb as a starch? Fruits and veggies have COMPLEX carbs. Mr Atkins is an overweight man, I wouldn't take advice from him.

I think he is dead?

Sorry, was overweight and had heart disease + high blood pressure.

So to push your cause (what is your cause- that people don't find an easy way to get healthy?) it's ok to LIE? Atkins died due to falling and hitting his head on a sidewalk. He was not obese in the latter part of his life. Your opinion is now null and void.
  • Dawn810511
    Dawn810511 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    trre.gif

Ask and you shall receive. You're welcome :bigsmile:

HAHAHA!!!!! This is my favorite eye-roll! LOL
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    telogen effluvium can be triggered by rapid weight loss, regardless of diet type
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I lied. I'm back in.

Hair loss and significant weight loss is correlated no matter how the individual is losing the weight. Seriously dude, google is just a tab away.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    10% of the subjects reported hair loss in a 6 month period. That's a very convincing correlation.

90% of women report hair loss in a 3 month period after giving birth. Having children is bad and a danger to your health.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

compared to what ? Was there another diet that achieved the same results with none of these side effects ?

So, 10% of the subjects reported hair loss at some point in a 6 month period in one study. Fair enough.

The same is found in other diets -

"The adverse effects of meal replacement diets are
    similar to those described for other hypocaloric diets
    and they include constipation, asthenia, hair loss, etc.
    There has been no evidence that these effects are more
    pronounced that those observed with other methods of
    dietary treatment under isocaloric conditions."

http://www.nutricionhospitalaria.com/pdf/ING/5680.pdf
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options

Are you referring to every carb as a starch? Fruits and veggies have COMPLEX carbs. Mr Atkins is an overweight man, I wouldn't take advice from him.

I think he is dead?

On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain. He lost consciousness on the way to the hospital, where he spent two weeks in intensive care. His body deteriorated rapidly and he suffered massive organ failure. During this time, his body apparently retained an enormous amount of fluid, and his weight at death was recorded at 258 pounds. His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma".

Please do some research OP.
    I fell for the troll post of the morning. Beating my head.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Well anyways I'm not here to debate. I said what I had to say and if you want to see the references you can purchase the book from Amazon or any Barnes & Noble. It's a 400+ page book so I'm not gonna go into detail with all the references published in the nutritional journals. You want the data? Buy it. Take care.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options

I think he is dead?

On April 8, 2003, at age 72, Dr. Atkins slipped on the ice while walking to work, hitting his head and causing bleeding around his brain. He lost consciousness on the way to the hospital, where he spent two weeks in intensive care. His body deteriorated rapidly and he suffered massive organ failure. During this time, his body apparently retained an enormous amount of fluid, and his weight at death was recorded at 258 pounds. His death certificate states that the cause of death was "blunt impact injury of head with epidural hematoma".

Never did I say he died from his heart disease or high blood pressure.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Just live off salt tablets and water for a month.

Ghandi did it, so can you.

Don't be a wimp.

You have a picture of a cute piglet. I like pigs and especially baby pigs. So, you must be right.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Well anyways I'm not here to debate. I said what I had to say and if you want to see the references you can purchase the book from Amazon or any Barnes & Noble. It's a 400+ page book so I'm not gonna go into detail with all the references published in the nutritional journals. You want the data? Buy it. Take care.
    I see, you were expecting people to just believe you.........misinformation will always be criticized and debated, not to mention you started the thread..........chit chat is easier isn't it? Take care.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Here's my reference... The China Study.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

ETA: Good Lord OP, you are serious?? That 'study' has been thoroughly debunked!
  • verptwerp
    verptwerp Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Bumping for later :laugh:
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options

I think he is dead?

Never did I say he died from his heart disease or high blood pressure.

Oh actually you stated he was overweight. Which again there is no research to back up your claim.

a medical report at the time of his admission to the hospital, which was later made public by his widow, states that he was 195 lbs on admission to the hospital. Six foot one and 195 is not overweight.
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    "Beware the Atkins Diet, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

(Lewis Carroll (modified a little))

In for momeraths and giggles.
  • Tickateeboo
    Tickateeboo Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    One of the most popular things about people wanting to do the Atkins diet is that you see instant results - I did it for a while years ago and lost 10 pounds in the first 2 weeks. Then it dropped off. I gave up in the end because I just found it so hard to cut out carbs - bread, pasta - mmmmmmmmm.

I think it is only effective in the short term, trying to eat a no carb or low carb diet is quite hard - the minute you are told not to eat something, you want to eat it. :wink: I've also had a look around and it's been known to have an effect on your kidneys - this maybe if you have a kidney problem to begin with, but would need more data to confirm whether long-term users of Atkins develop kidney problems.

Plus the temptation to have fried bacon and cream in your coffee every morning must affect your cholesterol at some point!! :laugh:
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh yay! We have another scientist!
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    "Beware the Atkins Diet, my son!
    The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
    Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
    The frumious Bandersnatch!"

(Lewis Carroll (modified a little))

In for momeraths and giggles.

Me too. :)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    http://jama.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=205916 is a comparison of 4 diets. Fewer people dropped out of the Atkins arm of the trial, which achieved better results :-
    Results. Weight loss was greater for women in the Atkins diet group compared with
    the other diet groups at 12 months, and mean 12-month weight loss was significantly
    different between the Atkins and Zone diets (PϽ.05). Mean 12-month weight loss
    was as follows: Atkins, −4.7 kg (95% confidence interval [CI], −6.3 to −3.1 kg), Zone,
    −1.6 kg (95% CI, −2.8 to −0.4 kg), LEARN, −2.6 kg (−3.8 to −1.3 kg), and Ornish,
    −2.2 kg (−3.6 to −0.8 kg). Weight loss was not statistically different among the Zone,
    LEARN, and Ornish groups. At 12 months, secondary outcomes for the Atkins group
    were comparable with or more favorable than the other diet groups.

No adverse health effects were reported that I could see.