Warning! Beware of the Atkins diet

Options
12346»

Replies

• abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Mate, I don't know why you bother engaging in the arguments in here. This is the first time I have ever read a thread and it seems that people are not open at all to new perspectives and are quick to rubbish the opinions of others when they don't actually have a clue themselves.

Thanks. I knew I'd get criticism since this study challenges the status quo. I did my part in posting this and maybe someone will be open minded enough to read the book. Even if they read the book to criticize I think it's a good thing.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I love this one! I'm a definite fan of Dwayne Johnson. :heart:

Atkins dies at age 73 of a heart attack which was preceded by a chronic congestive heart failure. He was 258 lbs and in poor health when he died. BTW, Atkins did NO research into his own diet, he simply prescribed a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet for his heart patients.

American Journal of Kidney Diseases (2002) Reddy, et. al, "Consumption of an LCHP diet for 6 weeks delivers a marked acid load to the kidney, increases the risk for stone formation, decreases estimated calcium balance, and may increase the risk for bone loss."

British Journal, 2012, A British-sponsored study followed Swedish women for 15 years and concluded that a high protein, low carb diet significantly increased the risk of heart disease.

A four year long study, "Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss Maintenance" was done at Boston Children's Hospital. They found that the resting metabolism rate of males consuming a high protein diet was reduced less than with other diets (a known side effect of dieting), which would lead to greater weight loss, HOWEVER, the C-reactive protein (or CRP), a marker we use to predict future and/or current heart disease was significantly elevated.

When someone has ketones in their urine, we usually treat them for diabetic ketoacidosis and hope they don't become comatose. Urine ketones are NOT a positive indication!!

There's a reason dieticians refer to a "balanced" diet. Balancing complex carbs, protein and fats along with portion control seems the only sensible answer to me.

I've been a registered nurse for 20 years. I've treated people now on hemodialysis that were on high-protein diets for years. Granted, this is not empirical evidence, it's only anecdotal and some were definitely genetically predisposed to kidney disease. The empirical evidence points to increased weight loss at a cost of cardiac and renal health.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Plus the temptation to have fried bacon and cream in your coffee every morning must affect your cholesterol at some point!! :laugh:

I just had a physical on Friday. After 6 months on low carb, my cholesterol dropped 18 points, my good cholesterol went up 6 points, and my triglycerides went down 89 points. Yes, it does affect your cholesterol- in a good way.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I love this one! I'm a definite fan of Dwayne Johnson. :heart:

Atkins dies at age 73 of a heart attack which was preceded by a chronic congestive heart failure. He was 258 lbs and in poor health when he died. BTW, Atkins did NO research into his own diet, he simply prescribed a high-protein, high-fat, low-carb diet for his heart patients.

American Journal of Kidney Diseases (2002) Reddy, et. al, "Consumption of an LCHP diet for 6 weeks delivers a marked acid load to the kidney, increases the risk for stone formation, decreases estimated calcium balance, and may increase the risk for bone loss."

British Journal, 2012, A British-sponsored study followed Swedish women for 15 years and concluded that a high protein, low carb diet significantly increased the risk of heart disease.

A four year long study, "Effects of Dietary Composition on Energy Expenditure During Weight-Loss Maintenance" was done at Boston Children's Hospital. They found that the resting metabolism rate of males consuming a high protein diet was reduced less than with other diets (a known side effect of dieting), which would lead to greater weight loss, HOWEVER, the C-reactive protein (or CRP), a marker we use to predict future and/or current heart disease was significantly elevated.

When someone has ketones in their urine, we usually treat them for diabetic ketoacidosis and hope they don't become comatose. Urine ketones are NOT a positive indication!!

There's a reason dieticians refer to a "balanced" diet. Balancing complex carbs, protein and fats along with portion control seems the only sensible answer to me.

I've been a registered nurse for 20 years. I've treated people now on hemodialysis that were on high-protein diets for years. Granted, this is not empirical evidence, it's only anecdotal and some were definitely genetically predisposed to kidney disease. The empirical evidence points to increased weight loss at a cost of cardiac and renal health.

This is very interesting, thank you for your post.
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Yet another medical professional who doesn't know the difference between ketoacidosis and ketosis. Wonderful. I feel so safe.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    They also refer to other research as saying " Adverse effects of this diet in children have included calcium oxalate and urate kidney stones... vomiting, amenorrhea(when a girl misses her period) , hypercholesterolemia(high cholesterol) and vitamin deficiencies. Reference cited. Western EC, Yancy WS, Edman JS, et al. "Carbohydrate Diet Program." Am. J. Med. 113 (2002): 30-36.
  • TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    First of all, that's not true about Atkins.

Second, most of the other 'proof' you spewed is about high protein diets, not low carb/high fat diets.

Third, nutritional ketosis and diabetic ketoacidosis aren't the same thing.
    I love this one! I'm a definite fan of Dwayne Johnson. heart

• TheRealMarsupial12
    Options
    I suck at posting.
  • ashransaid
    ashransaid Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    carbs is bad if you can't manage the intake!