Need serious help with SUGAR!!!!

Options

Replies

• Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I just don't believe that sugar is evil.

Eating in a caloric surplus is what makes you fat, not sugar.

if you don't believe me cut out all sugar, and eat 1000 calories over maintenance for a month and see what happens..I gurantee you will still gain weight.

I think it's simply easier for many people to control their eating by having a gimmick to make it easier. Clean eating, no sugar, paleo, whatever. If the gimmick gets them to their goals and isn't harmful, no bigs.

I recently did a "sugar reset" sort of thing. Basically went without added sugar for a set period. The point of which was to adjust my sensitivity to sugar. Didn't really work terribly well...but...it was much much easier to stay within my macros/caloric goals.

Oh, I get what you are saying 100%….

I just don't get when people say "sugar makes you fat" well yea if you over eat on a bunch of sugar stuff then yes you will get fat …but if you over eat on - Vegetable (extreme I know) - you will get fat….

THe primary driver is not sugar, it is overeating….

If you don't get it by now. Maybe this thread isn't for you. But of course your continued skepticism is inspiring and all are welcome.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I just don't believe that sugar is evil.

Eating in a caloric surplus is what makes you fat, not sugar.

if you don't believe me cut out all sugar, and eat 1000 calories over maintenance for a month and see what happens..I gurantee you will still gain weight.

I think it's simply easier for many people to control their eating by having a gimmick to make it easier. Clean eating, no sugar, paleo, whatever. If the gimmick gets them to their goals and isn't harmful, no bigs.

I recently did a "sugar reset" sort of thing. Basically went without added sugar for a set period. The point of which was to adjust my sensitivity to sugar. Didn't really work terribly well...but...it was much much easier to stay within my macros/caloric goals.

Oh, I get what you are saying 100%….

I just don't get when people say "sugar makes you fat" well yea if you over eat on a bunch of sugar stuff then yes you will get fat …but if you over eat on - Vegetable (extreme I know) - you will get fat….

THe primary driver is not sugar, it is overeating….

If you don't get it by now. Maybe this thread isn't for you. But of course your continued skepticism is inspiring and all are welcome.

ummm, actually you are the one that does not get it …but its all good ...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    You've got to account for biological/biochemical individuality. For me personally anything that is not a whole food is not healthy. For me.
    Actually unless you were deemed by a scientific clinical study as "unfit" to eat food that isn't whole, then really this is just your opinion. Betting dollars to donuts your body couldn't tell a steak from "processed" hamburger meat when it comes to digestive break down.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Mark my words very carefully!!!

Added sugary foods are the reason most ppl are here!

Stop eating added sugary foods!!!

Sugar is EVIL!!!

That works for me! But again some people are just on here to lose weight and seem to be ok with some sugar. Just wouldn't work for me and many others.
    So are you saying there's no sugar at all in your diet? No fruit, no vegetables, no carbs?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options
    Why are some people so thick headed?? I will speak for myself but I'm sure I'm referring to most of the "sugar addicts". When we say sugar, we are referring to sweets, for example, cakes, pies, ice cream, brownies... maybe it's the sugar combined with the fat that makes us want more? Who knows but many of us cannot stop at just one or two cookies. Is it about over eating? I don't think so because I can eat a 3 oz piece of chicken for lunch and be satisfied. I can eat one ounce of pistachios and not want more.

So when we say sugar, stop being so critical and try being a little more helpful. Don't ask us if we can eat table sugar right out of the bag, it's not what we're referring to. It not about fruit either. It's about sweets. What makes many of us able to eat an entire bag of cookies and the person next to us able to stop at two?

Now for me, I can't and won't eat gummy bears or any hard candy and those are loaded with sugar! Is anyone else that way?
  • justinedonohoe
    Options
    Hi everyone - sugar addiction is related to fructose. Your body stores it as fat only it doesn't use it in the same way we use glucose. Your stomach produces a hormone called Grelin and it is the hormone that dictates hunger/full registers in the brain when we eat. Unfortunately Grelin does not register when we eat Fructose which is why we can keep eating and eating and eating foods that contain fructose. Fructose is added to almost every processed food including bread (it's what makes your toast look toasty). It occurs naturally in fruits (hence fructose - fruit sugar). There are high fructose and low fructose content fruit so try and aim for low fructose fruits when dieting. I have been sugar free (apart from fruit with low fructose) for 30 days and there is no question in my mind that sugar is a drug. The detox in the first 5 days was horrendous so bad I never want to eat processed fructose loaded anything ever again. I've learned that making food from scratch is the only way to eat well, monitor your fructose intake and loose weight at the same time. Good luck everyone - a grata You Tube to watch on fructose is called Toxic Sugar.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Why are some people so thick headed?? I will speak for myself but I'm sure I'm referring to most of the "sugar addicts". When we say sugar, we are referring to sweets, for example, cakes, pies, ice cream, brownies... maybe it's the sugar combined with the fat that makes us want more? Who knows but many of us cannot stop at just one or two cookies. Is it about over eating? I don't think so because I can eat a 3 oz piece of chicken for lunch and be satisfied. I can eat one ounce of pistachios and not want more.

So when we say sugar, stop being so critical and try being a little more helpful. Don't ask us if we can eat table sugar right out of the bag, it's not what we're referring to. It not about fruit either. It's about sweets. What makes many of us able to eat an entire bag of cookies and the person next to us able to stop at two?

Now for me, I can't and won't eat gummy bears or any hard candy and those are loaded with sugar! Is anyone else that way?

I don't think it helps anyone to say they're addicted to sugar when it's not actually sugar that's even the problem.
  • Gemmz2014
    Gemmz2014 Posts: 220
    Options

I don't think it helps anyone to say they're addicted to sugar when it's not actually sugar that's even the problem.

Then what's the problem? And don't say over eating :tongue:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

Then what's the problem? And don't say over eating :tongue:

Its palatable foods... it doesnt have to be sugar based foods. And its not just foods, its lack of exercise and drive. People just as easily dont care for exercise and would mainline hamburgers from fast food restaurants. Unfortunately, people have to blame something and its easy to say its sugar instead of your own self.

Beside there have been many good example to why its not sugar to include a piece of fruit vs candy... with a piece of fruit with higher sugar content. So the reason we are thick headed because we dont believe in pseudo science and food demonizing. But if you need to cut a particular food group out of your diet so you adhere to a diet, the great but realize that wasnt because of addiction but rather adherence.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Help, don't we all or is it just me?
  • ndj1979
    Options

so the people that say that its insane to say to make the claim that you are addicted to one form of sugar but not ALLL forms of sugar are "thick-headed"? But the people that say they can eat sugar from one source good (fruit" but all the other source are 'bad and addicted" are somehow smarter…? yea, ok that makes sense…

OP - if i told you I can snort cocaine and am not addicted but I am smoke crack, and am addicted…wouldn't you find that a wee bit strange?

OP - I have been saying this the whole thread..if you truly are addicted to sugar that cut out ALL forms of sugar - fruit, added, and carbs….otherwise you are not addicted to anything and have an overeating issue with said foods that you have mentioned.

Just injecting a little common sense...
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone - sugar addiction is related to fructose. Your body stores it as fat only it doesn't use it in the same way we use glucose. Your stomach produces a hormone called Grelin and it is the hormone that dictates hunger/full registers in the brain when we eat. Unfortunately Grelin does not register when we eat Fructose which is why we can keep eating and eating and eating foods that contain fructose. Fructose is added to almost every processed food including bread (it's what makes your toast look toasty). It occurs naturally in fruits (hence fructose - fruit sugar). There are high fructose and low fructose content fruit so try and aim for low fructose fruits when dieting. I have been sugar free (apart from fruit with low fructose) for 30 days and there is no question in my mind that sugar is a drug. The detox in the first 5 days was horrendous so bad I never want to eat processed fructose loaded anything ever again. I've learned that making food from scratch is the only way to eat well, monitor your fructose intake and loose weight at the same time. Good luck everyone - a grata You Tube to watch on fructose is called Toxic Sugar.

Obviously biased "sources" of information are not to be trusted.

Do some medical and scientific research on ghrelin. Fructose has no special effect on it whatsoever. Ghrelin levels are elevated before meals and depleted after meals, regardless of their size and regardless of their content. It is not leptin, which possibly has a resistant effect against abnormally high levels of concentrated fructose - a theory that has only been tenuously observed in rats.

One of the problems with the study done on leptin resistance in rats is that none of the test groups were fed a varied diet.
  • ndj1979
    Options

LOLZ - complete and utter Bull….

sugar is toxic? when is last time you got "sugar sickness" like say you would get "radiation sickness" from over exposure to radiation …
  • staveshabr
    staveshabr Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    the first thing all "food/sugar addicts" have to realize is it isnt the food and it isnt the sugar. its them. also once you tell your self you cant have something, and then you eat it you tend to think; well i already had one and screwed up my day i misewell enjoy the rest because tomorrow im not going to be able to have a cookie because its bad; that is how binging starts. it is all how you think and self talk yourself into overeating.

what makes you think once your 21 day detox is over introducing the "bad" food back into your diet you wont binge again???

you wont because in your mind you told yourself since i havent had sugar in a while i will know how to control myself with it if i have just one cookie today.

a drug addict can never introduce that drug back into their life like a "sugar addict" can introduce sugar back into theirs

im sorry you are not getting the answers you want from alot of people but reality is you need to take responsibility for yourself and get some will power and know that one cookie doesnt ruin your day

i use to be the same way
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I can imagine years ago, similar arguments going on about cigarettes and alcohol before they finally determined that yes, they are indeed addictive.

If someone has a problem with a particular food, and as you can tell from this thread, there are very many, then why is it so crucial for some who do not have that problem, and cannot understand it, to make it their life's mission to convince said people that they AREN'T addicted to processed sugar products?

I mean, what is the point of convincing someone that has recognized that for them, they must stay away from certain foods to succeed in weight loss, that NO, they are not addicted to sugar and they MUST have it in their diet or they will surely fail?

They don't have an addiction, which is defined as:

"Addiction is the continued repetition of a behavior despite adverse consequences, or a neurological impairment leading to such behaviors.

Addictions can include, but are not limited to, drug abuse, exercise addiction, food addiction, sexual addiction, computer addiction and gambling. Classic hallmarks of addiction include impaired control over substances or behavior, preoccupation with substance or behavior, continued use despite consequences, and denial.[3] Habits and patterns associated with addiction are typically characterized by immediate gratification (short-term reward), coupled with delayed deleterious effects (long-term costs)"

They just have no self-control.

So when that person listens to you and adds the cookies and poptarts back into their diet, and goes on a week-long sugar binge, gaining back ALL the weight that they worked so hard to lose up til this point, and feels so disgusted with their lack of willpower that they just give up altogether, will you be happy???

SEE? It wasn't a sugar addiction at all. It was just you being lazy and weak minded! You are worthless and have no business being on a site like this with all of the superior people who can have junk food and ice cream and poptarts every day and have never been obese. Why can't all you weak people be like them?? If you just listen to them and do what THEY do, you will be perfectly healthy and the weight will come off so easily! SHEEZ! Some people will never learn.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    the first thing all "food/sugar addicts" have to realize is it isnt the food and it isnt the sugar. its them. also once you tell your self you cant have something, and then you eat it you tend to think; well i already had one and screwed up my day i misewell enjoy the rest because tomorrow im not going to be able to have a cookie because its bad; that is how binging starts. it is all how you think and self talk yourself into overeating.

what makes you think once your 21 day detox is over introducing the "bad" food back into your diet you wont binge again???

you wont because in your mind you told yourself since i havent had sugar in a while i will know how to control myself with it if i have just one cookie today.

a drug addict can never introduce that drug back into their life like a "sugar addict" can introduce sugar back into theirs

im sorry you are not getting the answers you want from alot of people but reality is you need to take responsibility for yourself and get some will power and know that one cookie doesnt ruin your day

i use to be the same way

Then you need to update your ticker to reflect your current weight now that you have it all figured out!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

i use to be the same way

Then you need to update your ticker to reflect your current weight now that you have it all figured out!

:huh:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    In. Because YouTube videos = science. :noway:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Raise your hand if you're a sugar addict and will resort to simply eating suaar right from a 5 lb bag if there are no cookies.

Did anyone raise their hand jonny?
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20648910

"Abstract
    Contemporary research has shown that a high number of alcohol-dependent and other drug-dependent individuals have a sweet preference, specifically for foods with a high sucrose concentration. Moreover, both human and animal studies have demonstrated that in some brains the consumption of sugar-rich foods or drinks primes the release of euphoric endorphins and dopamine within the nucleus accumbens, in a manner similar to some drugs of abuse. The neurobiological pathways of drug and "sugar addiction" involve similar neural receptors, neurotransmitters, and hedonic regions in the brain. Craving, tolerance, withdrawal and sensitization have been documented in both human and animal studies. In addition, there appears to be cross sensitization between sugar addiction and narcotic dependence in some individuals. It has also been observed that the biological children of alcoholic parents, particularly alcoholic fathers, are at greater risk to have a strong sweet preference, and this may manifest in some with an eating disorder. In the last two decades research has noted that specific genes may underlie the sweet preference in alcohol- and drug-dependent individuals, as well as in biological children of paternal alcoholics. There also appears to be some common genetic markers between alcohol dependence, bulimia, and obesity, such as the A1 allele gene and the dopamine 2 receptor gene."

Drinking too much is a choice. The same way eating too many cookies is a choice. Preferences may be genetic, but people can choose NOT to indulge their preferences.