My fiance can be such a jerk sometimes

Options

Replies

• jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    I, for one, think its a wonderful idea to run in the projects. Maybe one day a rapist will try to attack you and you can get that extra "oomph" in your workout by trying your hardest to out run him. Plus screaming at the top of your lungs will not only burn more calories, but it will stregnthen your core

Hilarious! Absolutely brilliant!
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Wait... So, you two are engaged? Please just break it off now. This dude is legitimately looking out for your safety, as he should, being that he is your fiancé, and you think he is trying to sabotage your weight loss? Oh and the jealousy issues? This is just a future marriage asking for a divorce.

2chkgp4.gif

Oh my god, my cat would KILL me if I even thought about doing that. I love it, but oh I can see the scratches across my face and body now ...
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Wow the comments on this thread are absolutely amazing. Just because it is a low income neighborhood does not mean there are thugs laying in wait while the OP complete her run. Although OP you should really display caution when you are jogging ANYWHERE at night.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I've said something similiar to my husband. He used to bike and run around 9-10pm. We live in a little bubble of a safe(r) neighborhood, but go 3-4 blocks in any direction and it's no telling what you might get.

It certainly wasn't sabotage. I worried about the gaggles of high school boys who wander around at that time, especially in the summer.
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    He doesn't want you running near the projects at night and that's because of his insecurity??? Uh, no. Sounds to me like he just wants you to be safe. Is there somewhere else you can run that isn't near the projects? Can you stick to the treadmill until daylight savings time starts? Could you run during lunch? Sorry OP, but if I was in your fiance's situation, I would likely feel the same way.
    I'm not going to change my workout routine just to make him happy!

Pretty sure this thing is a whole joke, but ok I'll bite...

Wow, that sounds like a great compromise. You are well on your way to a crappy marriage. Just my two cents and I have been happily married for 13 years.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Good grief. What kind of man doesn't buy his fiance an exercise stripper pole for those nights when it's just too late/cold to go out to run around "The Block."
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Oh come on Tom The Block is not near the Projects! And besides, too many lights - she'd have to stop too many times.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think you should change your route in the interest of compromise. Perhaps something in the area of Ft. McHenry, or just a straight shot down MLK Blvd?
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    Really, you should just break up. What kind of self-respecting man would suggest or ask his future wife to do something. If he really cared, he would just tell you, you will not do this, and take away your shoes so you have no way of doing it.

Sounds to me like you are going to be marrying a major wussy. Tell him to man up and take control like a man ought to do.

I'm so happy I'm marrying a man who likes to take charge. Rawwwrrrr!
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Buy a small trampoline with a handle on it and run to your hearts content indoors. Than if he tey
    Trys to stop you he may be sabotaging. Better safe than dead or harmed.
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Love it.
  • skorenfeld123
    skorenfeld123 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying hard to do this whole lifestyle change thing and I like to exercise outside. It gets dark so early these days, though, and I can only go after work. We're really close to the projects in Baltimore and he keeps telling me I shouldn't run there at night, but I NEED to get my workout in.

I'm pretty sure he just doesn't want me to lose weight. It's just his insecurity, thinking I'll leave him if I do. Anyone else dealing with an unsupportive SO?

It sounds like if you're desperate enough to come to MFP for relationship advice and are quick to agree that a breakup is the solution, then you probably already had your answer.

Good luck!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm really trying hard to do this whole lifestyle change thing and I like to exercise outside. It gets dark so early these days, though, and I can only go after work. We're really close to the projects in Baltimore and he keeps telling me I shouldn't run there at night, but I NEED to get my workout in.

I'm pretty sure he just doesn't want me to lose weight. It's just his insecurity, thinking I'll leave him if I do. Anyone else dealing with an unsupportive SO?

It sounds like if you're desperate enough to come to MFP for relationship advice and are quick to agree that a breakup is the solution, then you probably already had your answer.

Good luck!
    That's not very supportive.
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    As peace of mind for him, you can get attack alarms from ebay for a few quid, you could carry one of these with you and have a gps app that shows on a laptop if he's uber worried. There are things you can do to reassure him so then there will be no problems.

My SO worried about me working in a rough area so I got an alarm that I carried with me and we use the Friend Finder app if I go out for drinks with work so if anything happens he can see the last place I was at.

I work in London and some parts aren't very nice, hence the worry. I don't see it as controlling etc or anything though - It makes me feel safer too :)
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    My suggestion? Carry a gun...that's what I do.

This is why we are friends :flowerforyou:
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I don't even know you and I don't want you to run around at night in the projects. He doesn't sound like a jerk to me.
  • scottYBRIDGEWATER
    Options

If you do lose weight, will you leave him? Many women like to "trade up" after they get off a few pounds. And if he is an unattractive guy to begin with, it may not be "insecurity", but simply an honest self assessment on his part.
  • Ctrum69
    Ctrum69 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Just break up.
    I think that might be the answer.

I forgot to add that once we went to the grocery store together and after we left he said something about how he thought the cashier was pretty. He says things like that, which obviously means he thinks I'm fat and ugly, and then won't even support me running at night in the projects.

Get some therapy.

For you.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

If you do lose weight, will you leave him?
    Well, of course. I mean, why settle for mediocre when you can get the best? It's all about looks and money, after all.
This discussion has been closed.