WHO: Governments should regulate fast food to slow obesity

Options

Replies

• WinWinGo
    WinWinGo Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    If government wants to slow obesity, fast food prices and convenience should be applied to healthier foods and vice versa. Or it could focus on educating people and encouraging the practice of Preventative medicine.
    Instead it's gonna keep letting big corn dictate food prices and get tied up in legislation that helps only the people who don't need it.
    Not a big fan of government meddling, tbh.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,108 Member
    Options
    In for aliens, pretty sure it's just a matter of time in here.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Yeah, because we can't get fat off of food we make at home... or at Applebee's.... Seriously, what's the government going to do... give us all rations that meet a caloric limit every day? I think not.
  • katielshelby
    katielshelby Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    ...but...but...who will be there for me when I have an awful week and I want a super sonic double cheeseburger with bacon and mayo with a side of cheese fries??

:brokenheart:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the WHO be worrying about curing AIDS, malaria and all those other things that are measurably fatal. Or maybe giving back some money to their parent UN to do something constructive in Syria and other conflict zones. Developed countries are grown up and can work this stuff out for themselves.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Are they going to remove all high caloric foods from grocery stores too? Take my wine and cheese from me and Im going to blow something up. My cheese is 100 calories an ounce! A mcChicken is 300 calories. You do the math.
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't the WHO be worrying about curing AIDS, malaria and all those other things that are measurably fatal. Or maybe giving back some money to their parent UN to do something constructive in Syria and other conflict zones. Developed countries are grown up and can work this stuff out for themselves.

Im more worried about the number of parents not vaccinating their kids. Polio scares me more than mcdonalds.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Japans fat tax.

http://www.overcomingbias.com/2011/11/japans-fat-tax.html
    Japanese waist limits are stricter on men, yet since men are taller health-based rules would be stricter on women.
    The thinnest rich nation (Japan) passed a big law to make itself thinner just as the biggest medical spending nation (USA) debated a big law (Obamacare) ensuring it would spend more on medicine.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Are they going to remove all high caloric foods from grocery stores too? Take my wine and cheese from me and Im going to blow something up. My cheese is 100 calories an ounce! A mcChicken is 300 calories. You do the math.

I agree let them try and take my favs...

But I am Canadian so maybe we don't have to worry.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

Math?!

Great, bring education policy into this, too.

:laugh:
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Misleading headline, as this isn't a WHO policy statement. It's a proposed possible part of a solution to obesity postulated by a researcher in the discussion section of a scientific research article published in a WHO journal.
    High five for actually reading the article before posting.

I'd be interested in how they defined "fast food" precisely. Cheap, quickly available food that can be eaten "on the go" has been a staple of urban diets since at least Greek antiquity.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes have put the risks on the pack for years. People still smoke. Hell, I just quit and I'm fit and eat 100% whole food diet.

People do what they want. Blaming advertising is a joke. Blaming fast food is a scapegoat for fat lazy ****s.

/thread
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Who is going to pay for this regulation?
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    People should regulate themselves to slow obesity.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes have put the risks on the pack for years. People still smoke. Hell, I just quit and I'm fit and eat 100% whole food diet.

People do what they want. Blaming advertising is a joke. Blaming fast food is a scapegoat for fat lazy ****s.

/thread

Not as much as they used to. Years and years of taxes, campaigning, and demonization have paid off to some degree.

744d3maa3uqlxcitxabzxw.gif
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    So here is an interesting article.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/2/who-tighter-economicregulationneededtoreverseobesityepidemic.html
    "Unless governments take steps to regulate their economies, the invisible hand of the market will continue to promote obesity worldwide with disastrous consequences for future public health and economic productivity," said Roberto De Vogli of the University of California, Davis, who led the study.
    The researchers compared the number of fast food transactions with body mass index (BMI) in 25 high-income countries between 1999 and 2008.

They found that, as the average number of annual fast food transactions increased from 26.61 to 32.76 per person, average BMI increased from 25.8 to 26.4.

Thoughts??

Oh for goodness sake, I dont know where to start here. What are they supposed to do exactly?

During childhood, it is up to the parents to control what kids eat. After that, it is down to the individual. It is not the fault of fast food chains that people are obese. They have not been misleading. People know what it is in their food, but they continue to eat it. The results of eating excess food are plain to see.

It is down to people - lifestyle choices, portion sizes, exercising, self-motivation - not the responsibility of fast food companies who are making a living just like anybody else.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So here is an interesting article.

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2014/2/2/who-tighter-economicregulationneededtoreverseobesityepidemic.html
    "Unless governments take steps to regulate their economies, the invisible hand of the market will continue to promote obesity worldwide with disastrous consequences for future public health and economic productivity," said Roberto De Vogli of the University of California, Davis, who led the study.
    The researchers compared the number of fast food transactions with body mass index (BMI) in 25 high-income countries between 1999 and 2008.

They found that, as the average number of annual fast food transactions increased from 26.61 to 32.76 per person, average BMI increased from 25.8 to 26.4.

Thoughts??
    So, in 10 years, people ate fast food 6 more times per year, and the BMI metric increased by less than half a point. Yeah, I totally see the correlation there. Oh wait, no I don't. :huh:

Terrible idea, terrible conclusion, obvious agenda pushing.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

This. Although research has shown that publishing the calories of each dish in fast food and restaurant menus has not changed what people order. Baffles me, as it totally changed what I order! I guess even armed with information, people will only change their behavior when they are willing to do so.
    [/quote]

What the research doesn't show though is do these same people adjust what they eat throughout the day to compensate what they at at say McDonalds? If I'm going to McDonalds, it's not for healthy food. I will look at the nutritional info & it may or may not affect what I order, but if I choose a very high calorie meal, it will affect what I eat the rest of the day. In the end it's all about the choices we make throughout the day, week, month.
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Misleading headline, as this isn't a WHO policy statement. It's a proposed possible part of a solution to obesity postulated by a researcher in the discussion section of a scientific research article published in a WHO journal.

It's like the difference between saying "US Federal Government Wants to Ban Football" and an article about brain injuries having the line "to eliminate football-related brain injuries, football may have to be eliminated entirely" in the discussion portion of an article published in a CDC journal.

Interesting.

Personally, I'm not sure that regulation of fast foods in terms of limiting it is a good idea anyway. They can be eaten as part of a healthy balanced diet and eating them occasionally doesn't cause weight gain; It's eating them in excessive quantities that causes weight gain. I have never really enjoyed fast food very much, and still got fat. In my case, it was chocolate and baked goods. Punishing people who eat fast food in moderation because of people who don't doesn't seem good.

That said I would support mandatory calorie and nutritional labelling, and a ban on "supersize" promotions etc. in fast food and other restaurants. It would have to be flexible enough so as not to disadvantage smaller restaurants - calorie certification can be costly.

I think personal responsibility is the key, although that doesn't seem to be working very well!

Education is also probably helpful, in particular teaching people to think for themselves and verify facts - my uncle thinks that eating avocado will prevent absorption of all other fats, so he can eat as many chips and fried foods as he likes and not get fat as long as he eats avocado. This is thanks to a sensationalist article from a tabloid newspaper.

Ultimately though, this is definitely a case of "you can take a horse to water, but you can't stop it eating on the way."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

What the research doesn't show though is do these same people adjust what they eat throughout the day to compensate what they at at say McDonalds? If I'm going to McDonalds, it's not for healthy food. I will look at the nutritional info & it may or may not affect what I order, but if I choose a very high calorie meal, it will affect what I eat the rest of the day. In the end it's all about the choices we make throughout the day, week, month.

Could be a possibility for a certain segment that has invested in a healthier lifestyle, but many studies have shown that transparency hasn't done much, if anything to curtail obesity. That's not to say that in some locals that it hasn't happened. Obesity and general health of the nation is a big concern. The basic philosophy in NA is at odds with each other. One one hand it's health and the other is health care, two totally different concept. Health of a nation is in the subconscious and the results speak for themselves and on the other hand we have Dr's dedicated and trained to apply medical relief via way of mostly prescription and little to do with prevention. Education and a movement towards health to the very young would be a good starting point that might see some gains in the next few decades, well at least that is hope.