Action offends the inactive

Options
I read an heavy lifting site and they had this gem of a story today. Thought I would share:

http://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/action-offends-the-inactive

You're not imagining it. When you decide to better yourself, you'll be immediately surrounded by people trying to stop you. Action, it seems, offends the inactive.

They'll usually be subtle about it. Offering you foods that work against your nutrition plan, often presented as gifts or treats. Expressing false worry about your supplement usage, your food choices, and the number of days you go to the gym. They'll find plausible reasons for you to cheat on your diet or skip a workout. They'll encourage you to be discouraged. They'll even get mad at you for how your positive choices are affecting their lives.

If anger doesn't work, they'll bribe, they'll mock, and they'll carefully plant seeds of negativity. All because you've decided to be better, to be more.

It's the story of the crabs in the bucket. Put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and some will try to crawl out and avoid becoming dinner. The rest won't try to escape, but they'll reach up and pull the others down.

When you set a new goal, physical or otherwise, you have unintentionally pointed out other people's weaknesses. Their faults and shortcomings. Their inability to plan and lack of desire to express one iota of willpower. They sit around and want. You have royally pissed them off by doing.

Piss them off anyway. Offend them anyway. Crawl out of the bucket and find new friends and better relationships.

Remember, action offends the inactive. And that's their problem, not yours.

Replies

• Justagirl1978
    Justagirl1978 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I lost what I thought was a good friend some years ago, when she decided that my diet & fitness made her feel inadequate. I was devastated at the time as she was like a sister to me, but once the hurt had left, I realised how much better off I am without her in my life!
  • mittenswillet
    mittenswillet Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    wow very cool!!
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    F yea!
  • Shannonpurple
    Shannonpurple Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    you are only as good as your worst friend!
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    He ain't lying.

*kick* get off me crab!

Crabs are bad. Our date is off.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    He ain't lying.

*kick* get off me crab!

Crabs are bad. Our date is off.

I WAS going to take you for a nice crab and lobster dinner, followed by a night out on the town. Guess not. My Friday night just opened up......
  • fittoday14
    Options
    People like that are just horrible and mean! :explode: :angry:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I read an heavy lifting site and they had this gem of a story today. Thought I would share:

http://www.t-nation.com/powerful-words/action-offends-the-inactive

You're not imagining it. When you decide to better yourself, you'll be immediately surrounded by people trying to stop you. Action, it seems, offends the inactive.

They'll usually be subtle about it. Offering you foods that work against your nutrition plan, often presented as gifts or treats. Expressing false worry about your supplement usage, your food choices, and the number of days you go to the gym. They'll find plausible reasons for you to cheat on your diet or skip a workout. They'll encourage you to be discouraged. They'll even get mad at you for how your positive choices are affecting their lives.

If anger doesn't work, they'll bribe, they'll mock, and they'll carefully plant seeds of negativity. All because you've decided to be better, to be more.

It's the story of the crabs in the bucket. Put a bunch of crabs in a bucket and some will try to crawl out and avoid becoming dinner. The rest won't try to escape, but they'll reach up and pull the others down.

When you set a new goal, physical or otherwise, you have unintentionally pointed out other people's weaknesses. Their faults and shortcomings. Their inability to plan and lack of desire to express one iota of willpower. They sit around and want. You have royally pissed them off by doing.

Piss them off anyway. Offend them anyway. Crawl out of the bucket and find new friends and better relationships.

Remember, action offends the inactive. And that's their problem, not yours.

This...should be a sticky. Seriously. When I realized this, in my own way, I dropped 20 lbs. in 3-4 months. The thin lady at work who brings snacks daily, but never eats them, because she's worried about gaining weight? Watch her...and for god's sakes, don't eat her cheap store-bought garbage. The miserable overweight person who enjoys agonizing with you about their inability to lose weight, but who is the first to tell you, "Oh. It's just one little bite, one little piece. You only live once." Watch them, they're trying to rationalize their behavior and bringing you down with them.

Your resolve should be that of Will on "Good Will Hunting.":

Will: My father was an alcoholic. Mean [effin'] drunk. Used to come home hammered, looking to whale on someone. So I had to provoke him, so he wouldn't go after my mother and little brother. Interesting nights were when he wore his rings...

Will: He used to just put a belt, a stick, and a wrench on the kitchen table and say, "Choose."

Sean: Well, I gotta go with the belt there.

Will: I used to go with the wrench.

Sean: Why?

Will: Cause *kitten* him, that' why.

...And that's why I succeed, because *kitten* them. That's why. :wink:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I keep reading this trying to decide if the author is serious. I really don't see people in my life offering me food, or expressing concern, or asking me to skip a workout as them being out to get me. Nor do I think that anyone else really cares enough about my eating and fitness plan that it would make them feel bad about themselves or that they do feel bad about themselves and their choices. Maybe I just lucked out in the friends and family department.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I keep reading this trying to decide if the author is serious. I really don't see people in my life offering me food, or expressing concern, or asking me to skip a workout as them being out to get me. Nor do I think that anyone else really cares enough about my eating and fitness plan that it would make them feel bad about themselves or that they do feel bad about themselves and their choices. Maybe I just lucked out in the friends and family department.

This. My world seems to lack the totes jelly haterz that everyone else complains about.
  • Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Excellent article. My husband has been very down on my choosing to live a healthier life but i realize that it is his own insecurites that are the problem. I tune it out and brush it off. I didnt make the choice because of him nor will I quit because of him.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

This. My world seems to lack the totes jelly haterz that everyone else complains about.

Oh good, so its not just me.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options

Agreed to this.

I definitely see value in the advice of the OP, and agree with the sentiment...

But, I have never had anyone like that in my life - at least not yet. Most of my circle has been supportive, those who aren't actively supportive have been quiet but never actively working against me.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

Lol! It's not THAT literal or that obvious. It's a mindset. In some cases, these people actually do exist, and most do it subconsciously. However, most people are pretty happy to just not care what you're doing/not doing, or you're just good enough at ignoring people that it isn't a problem.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Unfortunately I can't disagree. And for some extra angst add marriage.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this with most health-related things. Not just exercise, but eating well (or what YOU consider to be well) especially.

tumblr_m3iirtjaap1qh9nffo3_500_zps39bd9ef3.gif
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Not always true but it happens - I like to see people succeed in meeting their goals it's inspiring and it has motivated me to do more.
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Well, sorry to hear that you had to go through that experience.

I suppose I am blessed to be surrounded by people that are ok with what I am doing. My actions are encouraging my husband to be more active.
  • Phoenix612
    Phoenix612 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    This is so true! I've made several Facebook posts recently about my weight loss and I've gotten very rude messages from people that I thought were my friends!! Some of the friends that I would go out with to dinner would try and force me into the unhealthiest meal at the restaurant. It used to work and I would cave, but now, I'm much stronger..It irritates them to no end when I say "no!"

I found an amazing picture that I keep on my desktop, it helps remind me that this is about ME and not about what other people think/feel. It says the following:

"They wanna see you do good, but never better than them. Remember that."