WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    What a morning! My son asked yesterday if I could watch GS while he went to a doctors appointment, but this morning the schools were all closed because of the winter storm. Huh? There was no snow this morning! So I offered to pick them all up and bring them to my house for breakfast and lunch. I got over there to find my son had fallen down the steps in front of their house. He hurt his back and butt, and thought his arm might be broken. He took off his coat and his arm had a nasty bruise, but after recovering a little from the fall he decided nothing was broken. He was however having a lot of trouble standing up because his back hurt. So, I got the kids and he went off to his appointment. We came to my house and had breakfast and played games and had big fun. In the meantime it started snowing. Hard! My son went to the store for food after the doctor. So, after lunch, hubby drove the kids home and then went to his office. He drives better in the snow than I do. I stayed home in my snuggie with Bruno on my lap watching the snow. We have about 6 inches already and it's still coming down pretty hard. Even the college cancelled classes today, which is unusual.

My son went to the pulmonologist this morning and they have to do a different kind of genetic test now to determine which version of a1-at deficiency he has before they begin treatments. It will be another month before he starts getting the meds. Seems like pretty slow progress to me.

Well, I hope everybody is safe and warm. Have a great day.

Sylvia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,059 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon to all,

Working again today.

Sylvia hope tests come out well for your son.

Deedee:drinker:

Did well on my calorie goals yesterday.

Getting Healthy is a marathon not a sprint!

:heart:
    Margaret
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I’m going to have to go on the treadmill and walk off my lunch. It sure was good, though! I guess that’s part of what we’re trying to achieve: to know how to balance things by exercising more when we need to compensate for calories.

My daughter had an interview for an ICU position yesterday afternoon (she is an RN), and they hired her on the spot during the interview. She is so excited! She has been working on a med/surg floor, which she really didn’t like. This will be a great opportunity for her to learn a lot and hopefully enjoy her work more. She doesn’t have cardiac experience, so it was unusual for them to hire her, but they really wanted her. They gave her everything she was asking for, including working the schedule around her. She’ll be training for nearly 6 months.

Congratulations to all of the Seahawks fans for a well-deserved Super Bowl win. We wanted the Broncos to win, of course, but they certainly didn’t play well at all.

Hubby and I have decided that we need to put a plan in place for what we want to accomplish and enjoy during this phase of our lives. We started the discussion today, and will be continuing it. We’d like to put it on paper, with actual steps set out to get where we want to be in terms of health, where we want to live, what we want to do, etc.

Anamika – Your daughter sounds amazing, too. How wonderful to be able to teach dance! I admire dancers in a huge way, since I have no grace of my own. Dancing well requires immense strength.

Pat – What absolutely wonderful NSV’s! The bathing suit will come – believe! I have a soda stream, which I use daily. It’s great! I drink the carbonated water with fresh lime juice, and it’s so easy to get it down.

Heather – I’m so sorry for the loss of your lovely daughter, Kate. I know that it hurts, even after so many years have passed. I still think of my own miscarriages with tears in my eyes, and I know that a stillborn would be so much harder to bear.

Laura – You changed your picture! You look terrific!! I’m glad that the chiropractor has been able to get rid of your pain – what a blessing.

Jane in Colorado
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    All caught up again but didn't take notes. I'm having a very good day. Food wise and moving around more. I believe I'm getting better. Sure hope so. Want to be running come spring . Well not running but you know what I mean.

Out of here
    See you all lighter
    Linda in Northern Ontario.
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    One very wet, windy walk with the dogs! All 4 of us were in our hi-viz jackets to walk in the dark, and peeled them off when we got home! All very drippy! The kitchen floor resembles a water slide and the aroma of eau d'wet dog permeates the hallway as they gently steam dry!

Time for bed now so not much time to chat.

Loved reading all your posts.

MA in a very stormy UK
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,939 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I read all the posts and laughed at the funny parts and cried at the sad news.....you make such a difference in my life.

:flowerforyou: having house guests is a stressful and fun thing for me and no time to spend at the computer.

:bigsmile: there's always time for walking the dogs.

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington home of the awesome Seahawks

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: **20,000 steps today ----
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    We are battening down the hatches and waiting for the snow to arrive. It will be a difficult commute in the morning if we get as much as they say were are supposed to. ugh winter :grumble:

Today was a great day, work was busy, did strength training at the gym, held the plank for a full minute

DD is losing her full time job, she got full time to cover maternity leave and now the girl is coming back. The problem is that they already hired 2 more part time girls so DD is hoping that she gets her hours back but honestly it's not looking good. What this means for us is that buying a house is now on hold again and we are stuck in an apartment, paying incredibly crazy rent.

Tonight is the finale for Biggest Loser but for some reason it's on 9 - 11, way too late for me to stay up. Guess I'll watch the 2nd half tomorrow night.

Have a great night everyone

:heart: Sandy in ON
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Jan in Colorado, congrats to your daughter. She must feel real good about herself. She must be a very good nurse with good evaluations to be hired on the spot. That 6 month training period is good. Must be a good hospital. I went form a medical surgical to a step down ICU unit but we did cover ICU when they needed help. They would have us take care of the less critical patients. We did have to get our ACLS certification though to work step down. She will need emotional support for what all she will experience in ICU. it's a whole new environment.

Well the ice is here. Hate to think what tomorrow morning will look like. We had to go out tonight and just the short walk from the car to the house I could tell how think a layer was already forming. We had snow first and then the freeing rain.

I got some store brand deli chicken breast today and had it on my healthy life 35 calorie bread and Laughing cow light white cheddar. Had to keep the cat away. I know I shouldn't but I do eat most of my lunches on the couch and the cat does want to at least try to smell my food. She is deathly afraid of my pressurized can of air. So I use it for any 'discipline' I may need with her. She as ehr nose got closer to my sandwich all I had to do was to put that can of air next to me and she ran. My dear loving husband thinks he is doing her a favor by letting her lick his fudge bar stick when he is done. We keep telling him that it is poison to her but she loves it so he gives it to her. So as she is sitting on his lap with his eyes on her treat to come, I just put the can on the arm of the couch and she crouches back. But the closer he got to the end she slowly comes back. But she knew with that can of air there she couldn't approach him. He tried to pet her when he was done and put the stick in my trash bag bag here on 'my desk' on the couch but she ran off. So he went and got some of her cat treats and gave them to her. So they are friends again. She even came over to me for some loving.

I have a great nephew, son of the reforming heroin addict on probation, that is in pediatric ICU today. He is not quite 2 years old, has RSV. But he was born with that weird sounding thing that means he was born with a hole in his heart and had open heart surgery as soon as he was strong enough and a weight he could tolerate surgery. His baby sister also has it but my SIL is taking care of her at their house.

Joyce, Indiana
  • annehuber106
    Options
    Hi ladies! Keep up the good work to all of you. Any ideas for late night snacking besides don't? I do great all day, but by 10PM...I could eat another meal!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,939 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Keep up the good work to all of you. Any ideas for late night snacking besides don't? I do great all day, but by 10PM...I could eat another meal!

Go to bed earlier, get up earlier and take a walk first thing in the morning :bigsmile:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    OMG, nighttime snacking owns me. A couple of years ago I started knitting again, thinking that if my fingers were busy I wouldn't snack. Turns out you can do both. I have, maybe wrongly, resigned myself to the fact that I will snack at night and if I must, it will be counted into my daily calorie budget, healthy, low cal, low, fat, no sugar, etc. SO, Skinny Pop, veggies with Okios Greek Yogurt, apple slices with a little peanut butter (if I have enough calories left), sometimes a nice crunch deli dill pickle.

Watching The Biggest Loser finale (not sure I'll stay awake until the end, however). Incredible how much they lose.

Wonder how much snow we'll wake up to and if Aaron will have yet ANOTHER snow day.

Good night to all.

xo-
    Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,355 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of HIIT on the elliiptical today. They got new ellipticals at this branch of the Y, there are only two that also use the arms, whcih surprised me. And one of those doesn't tell you the steps/minute. Fortunately, I was able to use the only one that tells you the steps/minute. I'm really surprised at this, but then again, not having the arms move probably makes the elliptical less expensive.

This afternoon I go for an infusion of reclast. This is a drug for osteoporosis but it's given intravenously. So it goes right into the bone and doesn't have to go thru the digestive system first. The other good thing is that I only have to get it once/year.

Tonight we go to Mexican Train Dominoes. This one lady always wants to have it at her house. I made these hamburger cheese bites to take with me. Some of the food that people bring! Amazing, I'd never eat any of it, too much sodium or fat. And I'm not big on the desserts either, almost never have them. I do usually bring two 24oz bottles of water with me and finish them. These bites only have 44 calories each.

Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll do a Leslie Sansone Walk Away the Pounds DVD. Then we have a board meeting of the Newcomers group that Vince is the treasurer of and I'm the head of hospitality, then we go to senior bowling. This league is sanctioned. I'm honestly not that good, but some of those people are a real inspiration. One lady bowls with an artificial leg, one man goes up to bowl with an oxygen tank strapped to his waist, there are others who take oxygen, bowl, and then take more oxygen. Some of the people are well in their 80's, yet they keep going. What an inspirtion. The bad part is when you see someone who has altzheimers or another disease. There is one man, he still bowls, but his altzheimers has gotten so bad that he's forgotten where he puts his fingers in the ball. The captain of the team (he's a real great guy) or his wife have to set him up to bowl. But he still keeps going. It's good that he gets out and is with other people.

The we have Newcomer bowling. We started a league with the Newcomers. It's not sanctioned, and really we just bowl more for fun than anything else.

Somewhere in there I have to manage to call my son for his birthday.

Joyce - I've found that WallyWorld's coupon policy is sometimes unbelievable. They will price match, which is a good thing. But sometimes they can be so so pickey about coupons. Like yesterday I bought something, had a coupon for it but it wouldn't scan. Why, I don't know, maybe their scanner was just dirty or whatever. But I was told that if a coupon is from the Internet and it doesn't scan, then they won't take it. They won't key it in. And if the coupon is off the internet, you can't bring that coupon back to them and have them reimburse you, you have to present it at the time of the purchase. Why, that I don't know. I just knew you'd go back and pay for those Kleenex. That's something that I'd do, too. I always park in no-man's-land, too. I'll never understand why people circle and drive around trying to wait for a parking space closer to the door. Stay safe

Cynthia - I can believe Kohl's would give you 20% off. They are very good about things like that. Their return policy is good, too.

Alison and Pat - you stay safe, too.

Going to have this tomato soup with oat & quinoa cereal in it along with green beans. Like I said, I like to have something decent to eat before I go to the Mexican Train, there very seldom is anything decent there.

Laura in CO - your bathroom sounds lovely. I usually spend my Sunday's prepping meals so that all I have to do is heat them up, too. Right now I have a bean soup in the crockpot

2199216 - welcome! Log all the time, I do. You CAN do this

njitaliana - what part of NJ do you live in?

Sue in SD - sending you good thoughts for the latter part of the month. Would it help any if you were to have something low in calories but filling?

Sylvia - sending good thoughts for your son.

Jane in CO - congrats to your daughter!!!

Well, went for my infusion. Surprisingly, they didn't do a blood test before. As I recall, one time they had to, but I can't remember if they did last year or not. I did remember that as the reclast is going into my bloodstream, my hand got cold so even before they started, I asked for a blanket to put over my hand. That helped. There is valet parking there, you can watch TV (even tho I brought a book with me)

Linda - so glad you're feeling better.

Sandy - so sorry about your daughter.

Just got back from Mexican Train. Had two of my bacon cheese puffs, one slice of kielbasa, one piece of what I think was zucchini with cheese on top of it, a bit of chicken (like 4 bites) and 6 small pieces of cheese. But I did have 48oz of water to drink.

Michele in NC
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    One very wet, windy walk with the dogs! All 4 of us were in our hi-viz jackets to walk in the dark, and peeled them off when we got home! All very drippy! The kitchen floor resembles a water slide and the aroma of eau d'wet dog permeates the hallway as they gently steam dry!

Same here, MA! I was noticing today how my dogs have the unattractive odor of a murky, shallow fish pond. :sick: Bath time for them tomorrow!

:smile: jb in Portland
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I had a good yoga session today. One of my fellow students is moving away soon, and we will miss her. It is all good, though. She and her husband are involved in a community theater in a little town in the next county and will be moving closer to it. They've bought a house and it is close to important amenities. They're pleased and excited. Our weather has gone into cold and windy mode and we're expecting it to get very cold here in the next few days. Those of you in the midwest and central Canada would probably laugh at my idea of "very cold." We're looking at a low of 17 tonight and a high of 20 tomorrow, and then then it will get colder.

Stay warm and take care of yourselves.

Katla in cold and windy NW Oregon
  • Ulink
    Ulink Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wow, read several of your posts! Motivated by what many of you have said, and by your amazing weight loss victories! I just joined 2 days ago and have 40 lbs to lose. I have gained and lost the same 40lbs twice before, but it is a little more challenging now that I am in my 50s. I will continue to read your posts for future inspiration and will soon report my own weight loss victories.
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi from would you believe (still) wet wet wet York but at least we have power unlike our southern neighbours.

Had to smile at the eau d'wet dog comments :bigsmile: we've had a lot of that too! Always seems to be a wet doggy towel to wash every time I go into the kitchen!

:drinker: I've managed to catch up with all the posts, but I've spent too long at the computer this morning and now haven't much time to post myself.

I need to get moving or there will be no time to exercise, one good thing about the DVD I'm doing, is that even though I put it on and I'm not in the mood, once it starts I get into it. Still having trouble holding the plank for more than about 5 seconds though :embarassed: :bigsmile: but practice makes perfect so the saying goes.

Have to dash have a good day everyone and take care!

Viv
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,253 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!:flowerforyou: And it is a good morning for us!:happy:
    Yesterday our power went off TEN times and went off for good while I was in the middle of lace making at the WI. We had to evacuate with emergency lighting (it's a school) and drive home through the storm. Power off until 6.45 this am. We had to get up twice in the night to switch the house slarm off so I got very little sleep. Did all my meditations, breathing exercises etc. but to no avail. Ended up rereading Happiness at Home by torchlight, till gone 4am. I dragged myself through my gymming and strength training this morning, but am pleased I managed it. I nearly fell asleep on the rower!:tongue:
    Let's hope it stays on this time. Train lines and power has been washed away in the West Country and many people are still marooned by floods, so I must count myself lucky. :happy:

Jane in Colorado - so sorry about your miscarriages. My lovely Kate will always be a part of our family's life, and it made the birth of the lovely baby Edie in the photo all the sweeter.:heart: Congrats on your daughter's success.:drinker: Making a plan sounds excellent! It can be such an exciting time of our lives, if we have our health and a reasonable budget.

I'm posting now and starting again in case the power goes off.
    Heather
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,253 Member
    Options
    Back again, didn't want to lose everything!:laugh:

Sylvia - best wishes for your son.:flowerforyou: He certainly has his share of troubles, but seems to be coping.:heart:

MA uk - Yeahhhhhhhhhhhhh, storms, rain and wind! I can smell those dogs from here!:laugh:

Sandy - I hope your DD's job prospects improve. Money worries are the worst.:flowerforyou:

Everyone in ice snd snow, I am thinking of you.:heart::heart: :heart:

Joyce - I love your cat! Best wishes for your great nephew. :heart: I am expecting a new great niece any minute. It was a very unexpected baby, her oldest is 18!:noway:

Michele - I read your bowling story to DH. I don't mean to make fun, because I think it's amazing, but we said, that will be us soon!:laugh:

Lots of love to all. I am so glad we are not going up to London today. Total chaos and storms. DS phoned last night and needs to come down with the family on Saturday to get out of the building work. I'm not sure why or how the builders sre working over the weekend as the by laws are strong in London, but they wanted them out of the house. Anyway it means they will be here from Sat pm until teatime Sun. Lucky, lucky us!:love::love: It does mean they might not come for Valentines, after I bought special food and napkins, but that is not a big thing. Hearts are good for any time of year!:laugh: :heart: :love: :laugh: :heart: :drinker:

Bye for now, Heather in damp, stormy, Hampshire UK, with electricity for the moment!:drinker:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,726 Member
    Options
    well it is snowing to beat the band... 6-10 inches today with ice later~ OH JOY,and maybe another storm sunday into monday..
    we are off of work today so that is good,but without pay unless I want to use a personal day..
    trying to save all I have..
    Today is my DD 25th birthday~ where did the time go?all I can say is girls are much harder than boys to raise.. she was a little hellion l:laugh: but she has a beautiful little girl and has her health ,I just wish she lived closer,12 hrs away is a long haul....
    will get my exercise here today ,with shoveling and snowblowing and maybe even some walking in the house..
    I am sooooooo looking forward to spring. I want the birds singing,I want warmer weather,and I think I will feel much more inclined to get up and get moving,have to get rid of these last 25 stubborn lbs
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Heather:smile: glad you still have power! I know my alarm system goes off when the power goes out, it`s battery backed up, but it likes to tell me "there has been a power outage" every hour or so:huh: :angry: ! Maybe you can sneak in a little nap later:yawn: !

Alison:smile: I know you have to be so tired of all that snow:angry: , I would be going crazy. I`m so ready for spring too:flowerforyou: ! Happy birthday to your daughter:flowerforyou: !

Viv:smile: Hope the rain lets up soon:glasses: !!!

Michele:smile: The bowling sounds like a lot of fun:happy: !

Gloria:smile: I know your son is loving the snow days:love: , my granddaughters wish for snow all the time:laugh: !

Sandy:smile: Good luck to your DD, how awful to have her hours cut:cry: ! You`re doing fabulous getting to the gym:bigsmile: !!!

Sylvia:smile: Hope your son is doing okay:flowerforyou: !

Welcome to all the new ladies:flowerforyou: ! Please come in often and chat!

I never have enough time during the week to post to everyone:sad: ! I`ve read all the posts and wishing everyone well!!!

Have a wonderful Wednesday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in a bit rainy this morning NC