Biggest Loser Finale...what is going on??

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    rachel-bl-winner.jpg

This is the image that keeps going through my head. She has the proportions of an anorexic now, her head looks so much larger in comparison to the rest of her body. Any sideview of her, and you would see how much bigger her hands and fingers are compared to her arms. Her skin is much more wrinkled, and she looks as if she's aged 10 years from what she was before.

I actually thought her legs looked fantastic, though. And in her defense, the dress she was wearing didn't help her much. A baggy dress only makes a small person look smaller.
  • wjstoj
    wjstoj Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    5 words - Two hundred fifty thousand dollars.

Of course she overshot her weight loss, and I'm sure also bulked up before going on the ranch. It's all about the Benjamins, and she's got a crap load of them now
  • feltlikesound
    feltlikesound Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It may be possible to be healthy at that weight and height but not in the way she did it. There are a mere 30 days between the last regular episode and the finale. Let me re-word that. She went from 150 to 105 in 30 DAYS. That kind of rapid weight loss isn't healthy when you are already so close to what the trainers/doctors had referred to in the last regular episode as "close to an athletic weight. A 45 lb loss in a month might be acceptable when you're at 260....but definitely NOT from what she weighed at the previous weigh in. As a woman close to her age, exact height, and similar in build, the lowest I've gotten was 137.....at which point my coworkers voiced concern that I should stop losing weight (and yes, I agreed. Any lower and I feel I would have looked anorexic......and Rachel ended the season a full 22 lbs under that weight.

Fancy meeting you here ;) but I agree on all counts. I am 5'4" and with a personal trainer my 150s were the BEST my body has ever looked.
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really surprised?

The Biggest Loser has never been about health or achieving a good relationship with food, your eating, exercise and your body. It sets an absolutely terrible example.
    Thank you! I watched the show only once and was appalled at how disrespectful everyone is to the contestants, treating them like idiots who just need to get off their lazy a****. And on top of that, they're milked for sob stories...it's pathetic and I can't understand why people continue to watch this &*^$.

Pretty much this - and this. I watched the show a couple of times in the first season and quickly decided that a game show masquerading as weight loss inspiration wasn't a healthy place to find motivation. It gives people who don't take the time to truly educate themselves about how weight loss works a dangerously incorrect ideal to live up to. This young woman might have lost all of this weight to be a competitor, but is "competitive weight loss" a message that media should be sending? I think this show has the potential to send a very dangerous and ultimately disappointing message.
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I also thought Rachel looks sickly now! But way to go TUMI! She looks great! And I loved that she said how she trains hard by running, I think Tumi lost her weight the right way and just my opinion but it looks like Rachel just starved herself to win the money!

T'umi lost nearly as much weight just as fast as Rachel. The difference is that she started high enough that she could afford to lose it. Any way you slice it, the Biggest Loser process is extreme.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Was very disappointed! No wonder i have friends whom try to eat under 500 cals a day. Healthy is key, that's why mfp has weight gain section too.
  • MirandaAB
    MirandaAB Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree.. the final day at the Ranch Rachel looked Good... Fit and healthy...... and i expected she would be thinnER by the Finale but not this much... When Alli won her season, and also Tara at her finale? those two women looked Wonderful.. Fit , slim and healthy with some good muscle tone.
    The only other who seemed too thin was the season when a blonde older woman won? sorry her name escapes me? Sheila maybe? anyway, she looked gaunt as well but Rachel last nite........
    I was shocked and it seemed many others there were as well...
    I was happy for Tumi... and yes now SHE looked wonderful.... Congrats to her for all the hard work.
    as for the length of time from when they leave the ranch until the finale? I had thought it was longer than 30 days? The one fellow with the new baby said his baby son is now 7 months old. His Wife gave birth shortly after the show began airing........ so if you consider they are on the Ranch for 12 weeks? ( approx 3 months ) and then bring that up until now? that's 4 months at home? but perhaps they were on the Ranch longer than 12 weeks this time? I'm not sure.
  • pegmo
    pegmo Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I give Biggest Loser credit this season. They did a lot of great things to turn it around especially the season when Conda was on.

I liked the trainers picked their own contestants and the trainer save. I also liked the way contestants were eliminated. Also, waiting until the next episode to see the eliminated person today. All positives.

Rachel went too far.

Hopefully, she can use some of the $250,000 for food to get some weight back on.

I am sure Biggest Loser will figure BMI into the equation and recommended weight loss limits on contestants.
  • jhellwig828
    jhellwig828 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that I found this thread. I thought maybe it was all in my head! I literally gasped when she came out and woke up my poor sleeping husband. I said how sick she looked and he watched for a bit and said she looked awful too. She looked beautiful at the end on the ranch, said she was at a size 6 in makeover week. I can't believe how skinny and frail she looked. Yuck.
  • countrygrl0712
    Options
    Somebody who has personally overcome anorexia and bulimia I think it’s terrible to have someone like her represent the show. What kind of message does that send to young girls? When young girls see a women look like that they think that is normal and they think to themselves “I don’t look like that. I have to look like that to be attractive”. They don’t understand the health issues that are behind it all. They don’t understand the struggles you have to go through to eventually think food is a good thing and you can look amazing with 20% body fat. An authentic girl looks a hell of a lot more amazing then a starving girl. It really is a shame!!!!
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I give Biggest Loser credit this season. They did a lot of great things to turn it around especially the season when Conda was on.

I liked the trainers picked their own contestants and the trainer save. I also liked the way contestants were eliminated. Also, waiting until the next episode to see the eliminated person today. All positives.

Rachel went too far.

Hopefully, she can use some of the $250,000 for food to get some weight back on.

I am sure Biggest Loser will figure BMI into the equation and recommended weight loss limits on contestants.

I agree! I thought the show was so much better this season until the finale.

Last night I wondered if the producers were going to try to do some sort of damage control since in a way it makes it seem like the show has pushed them to this extreme. The underweight clause would be a good idea.
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I guess, to be honest, I would starve myself too in order to win that much money. ... and gain some back to a healthy weight after the show. Actors do that for movies all the time. Risky though.

Yeah, the problem with that is the damage she may have done to her metabolism (and organs!!!) that may not allow her to (easily) gain an appropriate amount of weight without swinging wildly in the other direction and gaining too much. Thus, further damaging her metabolism and overall health.
  • lesspaul
    lesspaul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Rachel is a competitor. I view it much like an actor or actress losing weight preparing for a role. The role Rachel was preparing for was "Biggest Loser". Funny how actors are commended and Rachel is being criticized.

I do not believe Rachel should have been disqualified as some suggest. She played by the rules. HOWEVER, I do believe the rules need to be changed such that a contestant does not take the game this far in the future.

I believe Rachel will be at a healthy weight and have the body of a champion in a very short time.

I hope I'm right.
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Somebody who has personally overcome anorexia and bulimia I think it’s terrible to have someone like her represent the show. What kind of message does that send to young girls? When young girls see a women look like that they think that is normal and they think to themselves “I don’t look like that. I have to look like that to be attractive”. They don’t understand the health issues that are behind it all. They don’t understand the struggles you have to go through to eventually think food is a good thing and you can look amazing with 20% body fat. An authentic girl looks a hell of a lot more amazing then a starving girl. It really is a shame!!!!

I agree with you 100%. I hate that we have this showing young girls that in order to be successful you have to be underweight.
    Like really?
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Is it not a weight loss competition? Come on people if you don't want to see people do these things to their OWN bodies don't watch!!!!
  • RiannonC
    RiannonC Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    To put things in a bit of perspective: For those of you using the BMI chart to slam her, according to the chart, if she is 5'4 and 105 lbs, she is a mere 3 lbs away from being in the healthy weight range.

She probably looked sick more because she had been dehydrating to lose weight in the hopes of winning, than because of her actual weight. Trying to temporarily drop weight quick to win a cash prize is not the same as the disturbed mindset of anorexia, and I'll wager that many of those calling her out would attempt to do the same with that much money on the line.

Most likely, she will spend a few weeks after the finale eating and drinking normally, like most of the contestants do, and gain back 6-10 lbs of mostly water weight, and be back within the healthy range. If she continues losing, of course that's a problem, but why assume the worst? Give her the benefit of the doubt.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    My jaw dropped.

As someone who's struggled (and is still struggling), it is too easy to replace one addiction with another when you're trying to recover. I've been nearly 200 pounds and I've been almost in the 90s, and I will say that at 5'3" 105 pounds was IMPOSSIBLE to maintain.

I will give her the benefit of the doubt, and I hope she's able to -actually- recover from an unhealthy relationship with food ... but when you reach out to these drastic measures and then are rewarded for it, it could lead to a very bad continuing behavior.

I am angry that people are telling her to go eat a sandwich or two or 15 and "ew omg yuck she looks so gross!" Body shaming isn't okay, so everyeone needs to cut that out right now, for real ... but I also think NBC and the BL franchise should step out into the spot light and address the situation. Bob and Jillian did not look thrilled, the viewers were shocked beyond belief, and it would be irresponsible of them to just let it hang there. Past contestants have come out about the appauling conditions at the ranch, so something really needs to be done here... Outside of snippets about the trainers trying to get people out of their shells and address why they let themselves get like they are, do they even provide therapy and/or psychiatrists to the contestants during their stay?
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Acceptance1.gif
    tumblr_inline_mwo85kCTwG1rs5swo.gif

the other thread got deleted so this goes here....

She's under weight ya'll and its not ok, its never ok, even for people who have been there or are floating underweight. You all would probably feel better putting on a few lbs yourselves and its a shame that you would say its ok leave her alone. Even 2 of the 3 trainers were visibly upset at how she looked.
    She probably went to extremes to win even as a competitive swimmer she should have more healthy weight on her. Especially upper body for the type of swimming she seems to favor.
    She lost weight and that's fantastic, but many are disappointed now because she risks throwing it all away by being under weight and jeopardizing her health all over again... hair loss, no periods, organ problems, bad breath, bone and joint pain etc.

There's a reason its called a "healthy" weight!
  • bliss1267
    bliss1267 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was so shocked to see her walk out, see the expression of the trainers, and just so scared that she has traded one eating disorder for another. I think what's even more startling and shocking is that the camera does add pounds, and I would imagine she looks even more sickly in person. On TV... she looks skeletal. I'm sad for her. Really sad.

Kim
  • cdfitness200
    cdfitness200 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I apologize if my statement was offensive. I am sure there are people with her body type (and perhaps less muscle) that are naturally thin and look just fine, but in my opinion, she, in particular, looked sick and shockingly skinny. Seems many people agree -it's all over the internet - including Bob and Jillian, by the looks on their faces. I don't mean to imply that everyone at this weight looks terrible, but in my opinion she does. I don't really know anyone else with those stats, so I can't say if someone else may appear healthy at that weight. It is possible. My guess though is that these stats are unhealthy and if someone is under a normal BMI, as an adult, in order to be healthy, they should consider trying to gain a few pounds too. I have always been naturally thin (before the last few years) and am far from a "skinny shamer," but I am just concerned for this girl, and the message that this is sending to society, if we are epitomizing someone who looks like she has starved herself.