For those confused or questioning "Eating your exercise calo

Options

Replies

• lnjwilliams1432
    Options
    i have heard many people say "dont end your day with extra calories!" but if i log my daily total with 300 remaining it says...if everyday were like today in five weeks you would weigh ___" if you end your day at just right it says if everyday were like today in five weeks you would weigh MORE!! so how is it possible that it makes it more difficult to lose? logically in my eyes...if you eat less you gain less. ???????? so confusing...I AM ALMOST READY TO GIVE UP!
  • Alisha28
    Alisha28 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Thanks I really think its too much food to eat. I work out alot and when I see I could eat 1800 calories that scares me. I am more of a 1200-1500 kinda eater but workout and burn 450-1000 calories a day so I guess thats why for awhile I was not losing anything y body was in survival mode. Thanks for expalining

Alisha:happy:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    i have heard many people say "dont end your day with extra calories!" but if i log my daily total with 300 remaining it says...if everyday were like today in five weeks you would weigh ___" if you end your day at just right it says if everyday were like today in five weeks you would weigh MORE!! so how is it possible that it makes it more difficult to lose? logically in my eyes...if you eat less you gain less. ???????? so confusing...I AM ALMOST READY TO GIVE UP!

If you set up your goals correctly, and then eat exactly what it tells you, assuming you set a goal of losing weight, it would always tell you you would weigh less.

You are forgetting (and a lot of people do this), That the calories this site wants you to eat, is PRE-SET at a weight loss, so if you eat the amount the site tells you too, you are already at a calorie deficit. If you don't eat your exercise calories then you are expanding the deficit, which could bring you into starvation, which, after a few weeks, can start to have serious consequences as well as pretty much halt weight loss.
  • Dmprbst
    Dmprbst Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Ah noooow I get it. Makes since now. Thanks banks:tongue:
  • tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Options
    Today I walked and walked and walked. According to my HRM I burned over 1600 calories!!!!:huh:

There is NO WAY I can eat that back....

But according to what your saying, one day of that won't hurt me...right?

It is only if I did that day after day after day....
  • janebeck
    janebeck Posts: 14
    Options
    Hi
    I have a underactive thyroid it was identivied about 4yrs ago. Since then i have steadily put on about a stone a year:sad: I have tried loads of diets and always give up because i find it so hard to loose weight. Last week i cycled to work on 4 days (this is about a 10 mile round trip) and i ate under my calories by about 300 on each day. This resulted in me loosing just 0.5lbs in the week. I was gutted i wasnt expecting a big weight lost but i did think it would be more than 0.5. I now think i understand the reasons for this after reading your post. Have you any info on under active thyroid you could share with me :laugh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I have a underactive thyroid it was identivied about 4yrs ago. Since then i have steadily put on about a stone a year:sad: I have tried loads of diets and always give up because i find it so hard to loose weight. Last week i cycled to work on 4 days (this is about a 10 mile round trip) and i ate under my calories by about 300 on each day. This resulted in me loosing just 0.5lbs in the week. I was gutted i wasnt expecting a big weight lost but i did think it would be more than 0.5. I now think i understand the reasons for this after reading your post. Have you any info on under active thyroid you could share with me :laugh:

Don't know about the thyroid issue but 1/2 a pound is great! With the relatively small amount you have to lose, you should be looking at no more than 1/2 pound to 1 pound a week to be able to do it at a safe healthy level.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Hi

Yeah, not really sure what having an underactive thyroid would do. I guess that would depend on how much it retards your metabolism. You should probably ask your doctor to perform an rmr metabolism test for you, that will tell you what your maintenance calories are, and with that knowledge you can have an accurate starting point. It's probably lower then the rest of us, so you probably have to taylor your food plan to fit that.

Good luck.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    Options
    That was a good one!!!! Let me know...cuz I'm doing the same thing!
    I have never been more confused...except when trying to talk to my teenage daughter ...No, I printed this so I could get a handle on it...
    It is just so hard to eat the calories I think I am supposed to burn off...I'll try, but if I weigh 15 lbs more in 2 months than I do now...Banks, you are toast.
  • banks1850
    Options
    bump
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    Better bump before belly button bottoms out!
  • banks1850
    Options
    :bigsmile:
  • tall_t
    tall_t Posts: 251
    Options
    I wish this post could get a sticky instead of all the bumping :smile:
  • banks1850
    Options
    I wish this post could get a sticky instead of all the bumping :smile:

I've been begging Mike for stickies for 10 months!
  • Dmprbst
    Dmprbst Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Yeah I've done a copy and paste a couple times myself...just to get the info out there. It would be nice :tongue:
  • hnlymark
    hnlymark Posts: 191
    Options
    bump
  • jlwhelan1
    jlwhelan1 Posts: 664
    Options
    bump
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    bump.gif