tattoo argument with spouse

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Just so you guys know, as far as being considered "art" --tattoos are a one-note artistic statement.

It doesn't matter if you have a mural or a chinese symbol, it doesn't change the artistic thesis.

Every tattoo is essentially saying the same, trite, low-brow, one-note statement: we are mortal and it hurts.

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating to. Thats why its the universal ice-breaker for the insecure members of our society to relate to one-another.

So there is no variable art in it per se as in the specific designs or what they "mean" "to you" (like anyone cares). Its a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.
    This all assumes that people are doing it for others.
    '
    The only thing I'm looking for in mine is "it's pretty," No more, no less. And I have long hair and generally wear a shirt in public, so few people would even see one on my upper back to be able to make it a conversation starter.

My best friend has a tattoo. Unless you see her in a bathing suit or naked (you would get neither -- she has better taste, and that's not saying much), you would never know she has it. It's a turtle. Why? Because she likes turtles. She also has turtle figurines all over her house. Is she doing that for attention?

Its not about what it is, its the dramatic and romantic self-engrandizing act, nay the ceremony, of such a permanent and self-aware act.

Despite the stated intent, there will always be that emotional relationship to it, the thought, anticipation, the ritual, the after-glow, the new horizons of self identity.

To understand what I am saying one must agree with this statement: Absolutely everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. (Even the hermit who moved to Alaska because of his contempt for society wants you to watch the show about how they are surviving in the middle of nowhere out there)

Everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. --If you can comprehend the profundity of that psychology, we can begin to have a discussion.
    Baby, sweetheart, darling, I'm a writer. I wrote a column for a newspaper for a while and published many, many news stories with my name on them. One day I will publish a novel.

I don't need a tattoo to let people know what I have to say.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Just so you guys know, as far as being considered "art" --tattoos are a one-note artistic statement.

It doesn't matter if you have a mural or a chinese symbol, it doesn't change the artistic thesis.

Every tattoo is essentially saying the same, trite, low-brow, one-note statement: we are mortal and it hurts.

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating to. Thats why its the universal ice-breaker for the insecure members of our society to relate to one-another.

So there is no variable art in it per se as in the specific designs or what they "mean" "to you" (like anyone cares). Its a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.
    '
    The only thing I'm looking for in mine is "it's pretty," No more, no less. And I have long hair and generally wear a shirt in public, so few people would even see one on my upper back to be able to make it a conversation starter.

My best friend has a tattoo. Unless you see her in a bathing suit or naked (you would get neither -- she has better taste, and that's not saying much), you would never know she has it. It's a turtle. Why? Because she likes turtles. She also has turtle figurines all over her house. Is she doing that for attention?

Its not about what it is, its the dramatic and romantic self-engrandizing procedure, nay the ceremony, of such a permanent and self-aware act.

Despite the stated intent, there will always be that emotional relationship to it, the thought, anticipation, the ritual, the after-glow, the new horizons of self identity.

To understand what I am saying one must agree with this statement: Absolutely everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. (Even the hermit who moved to Alaska because of his contempt for society wants you to watch the show about how they are surviving in the middle of nowhere out there). Despite misguidedness of some peoples expression, the subconscious machinations of wanting to be heard one way or another are always present.

Everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. --If you can comprehend the profundity of that psychology, we can begin to have a discussion.

Boy, you talk a lot. Maybe you should just zip it and get a tattoo. Hmm?
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    Do you guys realize why Myspace was the dawn of all social networks?

The core thesis was because people love to explore different identities.

Like the girl who went from regular, to goth, to sporty all in 4 months and had completely different profile experiments.

We all love to explore identities like that when we are developing emotionally. But again you ask yourself why? And the answer is always motivated by insecurity.
  • punkypenny
    punkypenny Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I want another tattoo. I have 2, one of which was an impulse and I regret. I know what I want the tattoo of but not sure of the design or where I'd put it yet. As far as the topic of whether you should get your spouse's permission. I don't think I'd bother getting married if it meant I needed permission for every decision I made, especially regarding my own body. I mean why bother being with someone if you can't be yourself?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Like the girl who went from regular, to goth, to sporty all in 4 months and had completely different profile experiments.

We all love to explore identities like that when we are developing emotionally. But again you ask yourself why? And the answer is always motivated by insecurity.
    Well, you would certainly be the expert in insecurity.
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Its not about what it is, its the dramatic and romantic self-engrandizing procedure, nay the ceremony, of such a permanent and self-aware act.

To understand what I am saying one must agree with this statement: Absolutely everyone just wants someone to hear what they have to say. (Even the hermit who moved to Alaska because of his contempt for society wants you to watch the show about how they are surviving in the middle of nowhere out there). Despite misguidedness of some peoples expression, the subconscious machinations of wanting to be heard one way or another are always present.

I have a degree in Psychology and this is plain word salad.

There was no glow when I got my tattoo and I often forget I have one. I think of it as much as I think of the beauty mark on my back. I got it because I could and wanted. Call it boredom or art, it's just a tattoo.
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Thats it.

'

It's cute how you think everyone that disagrees with you just doesn't *understand* how deep and meaningful your point is.
    We're dumb because we think he's wrong, guys.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

Thats it.

'

Sweet mother of god... If you're going to try to talk all fancy, will you PUH-LEEZE use correct pronoun agreement???
    Seriously, fourth graders may not know the word "profundity", but they DO know which pronoun to use.
    Forrest, go back to running. Srs.
  • MaryEllen0331
    Options
    I am 48 yrs old professional...Got my first Tat at 42. and my second....third last year. All are discreet, I show them depneding how I dress & if I choose. Two are on my right calf above my ankle, the third on my left breast.....I am proud of my tattoos!! Hubby is not trilled, but it is my body! Besides, he has one on his chest from the military....I say, if you want it, go for it!!!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I thought the local tavern was the dawn of all social networks.
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    Amusingly my daughter has a tattoo on her one foot but I'm not allowed to get inked anywhere just because. Go figure. If I had something I really wanted I would anyway. But I don't so there's no argument.

I guess I don't see a tattoo as life changing. I would recommend against a tramp stamp just because I doubt you want to be identified as such. But beyond that why not?
  • 12nikkib
    Options
    I am a 53 year old female. I really like tattoos but don't have any myself. I started liking them a few years back and find men very attractive with them. I have my preferences, but to each his own. I am from New York and have always wanted to get something
    hidden on me, but I am afraid it will look bad when I am older so I have decided not to. Once I get to my goal weight, I might
    get a small one. From what I understand about tatoos from others that I have talked to, they are very meaningful to the person that gets it and I don't think that you should stop anyone from doing it. It is who they are and you should accept that just the way you
    accept the way your partner dresses or does their hair. It is good to discuss it, but the choice should be yours. I wouldn't let anyone tell me what to do or not do with my body - same with my partner.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options

Thats it.

Every time someone is impressed with your tattoo, that is what they are relating too.

So there is no art in it or the specific designs. Its like a wholesale artistic expression for the insipid.

Hmm. Interesting. My tattoo says I made it 3 years post cancer and I need a 4th Bird since technically I've made it 4 now.

So what you are saying is we are mortal and it hurts?

I feel you on that.

So, by trite, you mean overused and consequently of little importance; lacking originality or freshness. And by low-brow you mean I have no intellect because I have tattoos?

Dude, really. That's a very egotistical comment to make in general. I got my tattoos in celebration of an event in my life that I was proud of. I don't mind sharing my story of what they mean, but they are not in a spot that is in your face, to draw attention. As far as my intellect goes, I have a BS degree in Computer Science and one in Business Admin and am working on my MBA right now. No intellect issues here.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    Listen to your husband and hopefully he will be your only one.

WTF?!?! Is this the 1950's and women have to be subservient again?
  • selfepidemic1
    selfepidemic1 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Don't use the internet to ***** about your spouse. How would you feel if he tried to undermine your opinions by slagging you off.

This is between you two, but mainly your damn decision. Give him a step to have an opinion don't get angry if he doesn't share the same one. It is your body, and your decision. However don't act like a 3 year old yourself slagging him off. You're a grown adult, act like one.
  • Gibbitt
    Options
    Uuugg. fighting with the husband over as yet non-existent tattoo = really dumb argument!!!
    So what if I'm honest and like the fact 90% of the people I know won't see my tattoo coming. I'm still getting it for me. It Doesn't mean I can't enjoy just a little shock value...right?
    He said its a life changing thing. I can't possibly know what its like. That set me off! Oh really!?! like, altering my body beyond recognition to have a child??? that kind of life altering thing??? Lets see...Choosing a piece of art versus my body conforming to accommodate a child... yep I'll take the 100% my choice art work thanks.
    Really I only had 3 beers lol.

You know... I'm a 39 year old with 25 tattoos, a husband of 17 years, and no children. It's perfectly okay to like the shock value, but do remember that you're getting a tattoo because its what YOU want. not what your spouse wants, not what your mum wants, etc. Yeah, they ARE life changing. You're letting someone you barely know mark you fairly permanently and if the screw up, it could be bad, but if they do it perfectly (or very VERY minor things, like a shakey line)... and it's BEAUTIFUL (beauty is in the eye, afterall).. then it can give you confidence beyond anything. To know that you were brave enough to sit under the steady hand of someone to see YOUR art come to life... to decorate YOUR body for YOU... and knowing that is going to let you do things that you were afraid to try earlier. Yeah, it's life changing, alright... in a good way. (Placement on the body is VERY important, btw.)
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I listen to husband's concerns, but I don't obey him blindly. He wants to find somebody 1/2 as amazing as me, GOOD LUCK.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You can remove portions of what people quote and then add what you want to change what the person said in the first place. I congratulate the ones of you that have to done what I just said. Well done! I've done most of those things but I'm not stuck with ink embedded in my body that I'm stuck with for life. Like I said I wasn't judging anyway. So, take the portion of this statement you like or dislike and dub out what will spin it how it works best for you.

you "stuck with" like it's an old weight or a saddle bag that you are saddled with and don't want.

yes you are stuck with it for life- unless you want painful surgery to remove it- but that's why you don't rush it and make sure you really want it- and like it and have an artist who can give you good work. That's the fricking POINT of a tattoo.

I'm not 'stuck' with my art any more than I'm "stuck" with my boyfriend- I chose them- and I want them in my life.

You say you aren't judging- but your condescending tone indicates otherwise.
    I have a condescending tone because what I said has been rearranged added to taken away from then submitted for approval by the last person to quote what I said.
    When everyone is through changing what I said I'll be glad to sign a copy for your amusement.
    Over and Out!

I quoted THAT specific passage and changed nothing. I wasn't talking about ANYTHING other than that post I quoted.

LOFUKINGL at dictionary guy.

Wildly amusing.

hysterically I drew mine- I'm an artist- and I had an artists ink mine. And I am also an engineer- so I guess I'm a starving- not starving artist? super low brow indeed.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I listen to husband's concerns, but I don't obey him blindly. He wants to find somebody 1/2 as amazing as me, GOOD LUCK.

I'll just look for someone with a tattoo.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options

^^This