Ladies, how do you feel about being a stay at home mom/wife?

Options

Replies

• Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Same as I do about stay at home Dad. Equal opportunity folks. If you have kids and they are in school what are your choices.
  • 100toloose
    100toloose Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    It's really great reading all these opinions. I know it isn't ideal for every woman and that's okay. Whatever works out in the end for each of us is what matters. Right now I enjoy making my own money and being responsible. Who knows if I'll even like staying home. It's just a conversation I've had with others.
    I have done both. However- and again everyone is different- I love to work and be around adults.
    I love my job and may be that is the reason ... I also love love love my kids... They are the reason for me to be alive and function..
    So,make your own wise choicr when you are ready..I got really depressed when I stayed home with my first one and I did not have anything to do between housework and changing diapers. So ,I know for me : work is the way to go...
  • ambascom
    Options
    This was a topic my (now ex) boyfriend's mother and I got into once. She was a stay at home mom for a really long time (I believe around 18-20 years) and I was raised with both parents working. She (and her son) had a difficult time understanding why women would give up staying at home with their children to have a career. In her case, they were financially stable enough for her to stay home and raise their 4 kids. My parents weren't financially stable and required us to be in day care or have babysitters after school. I went into day care at 6 weeks old and to be honest, I enjoyed it. I got to socialize with kids my age and made me value the time I had with my parents more.

That being said, for me, I'm a worker. I was raised to be independent and that includes being finacially independent. I have a degree in writing and if it were possible, I would LOVE to stay at home and be a writer while raising my kids. But the realistic side of me knows I would crave adult conversation, so I would need some time to myself (in the form of a job). I'm waiting to hear from grad school for library science as my career path. I suppose if I had a dream world, I would work part time at a library and spend the rest of the time raising my kids and writing. The best of both worlds :)
  • JenniCali1000
    JenniCali1000 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I love it and I hate it. I've had the big career and sacrificed time with my son, but when my daughter was born years later, I became a sahm and will be until the youngest child goes to pre-k. So I guess you could say I've been in both situations. The bottom line, and I think everyone would agree with me on this, is that I will never regret the time spent with my kids. It's irreplaceable and priceless.
  • ravengal
    Options
    OP: I was at home with my children for thirteen years. I would not recommend doing the same. Should you decide to re-enter the workforce, your intelligence, ambition, work ethic, and motivation will be called into question. While I found a decent-paying entry level job at a large company that I like well enough, there are many people who are prejudiced against women who choose not to participate in the work force. Be forewarned!
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    I wouldn't have been a stay at home wife - I enjoyed working and have been so proud that the both of us have worked so hard together to prepare our life and our home and our finances enough that I was able to stay home for nearly a year, and now only have to work a couple of days a week.

It's just a fabulous time for the world that both technology and workplace laws allow many of us to do both. Flexible hours (and the right to have them), logging in to offices remotely, online based home businesses...it really lets us enjoy our children while they are young (and it goes so very quickly) without too much financial pressure placed soley on one parent, as all parents are equally important to their munchkins!
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    OP: I was at home with my children for thirteen years. I would not recommend doing the same. Should you decide to re-enter the workforce, your intelligence, ambition, work ethic, and motivation will be called into question. While I found a decent-paying entry level job at a large company that I like well enough, there are many people who are prejudiced against women who choose not to participate in the work force. Be forewarned!

I agree with the above poster. Lots of young wizards are now in the workforce with fancy degrees that are willing to work for less

I also always wondered what would happen if the husband decides to take off, or if some health issues or disability made him impossible to earn a living. I loved my independence and the fact that I also contributed big time to everything that we now have, and that because I also worked out of the house we were able to help our kids when they needed the help, and I secured my old age with my savings.

But we need to do what we think that is best for us. For me, it was getting my degree while the kids where at school, working, and getting to be independent and self sufficient. I don’t regret a thing.
  • mjones6599
    Options
    I would like to be a stay at home mom, but I dont think that's possible. My body is completely wrong :/

bperkins, won't you reconsider?
  • kristarablue2
    kristarablue2 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Being a stay at home mom was such an honor and a privilege. It was something I would never trade, financially it was not a fun thing but worth every single moment. I am not going to lie, I think staying home is more difficult than working. I have done both and going to work was easier for me, maybe not for others, but for me it was, staying home was hard emotionally at times. But man you only get that privilege for a short time, if you can at all, I would encourage you to try
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    I stayed home with my kids, in fact, I homeschooled them, although now that all of my kids are adults, I work outside the home. My daughter works outside the home. She and her husband work different shifts so someone is usually there with my three year-old grandson, and my six year-old grandson is in school all day.

I'm thankful for the time that I was able to have with my children but it isn't always feasible. I have a sneaking suspicion that if my daughter stayed home all day with my grandsons I would get many emotional calls from her during the day!!!

Kids are pretty adaptable. If you have the temperament and desire to stay home with them, do it! It's a very rewarding experience. If you do not have the temperament or desire, though, be careful about the daycare situation and they'll turn out just fine.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but it is absolutely not for me - I spent way too long getting an education and building a successful career to give it up. And I want to be a productive member of society, I would not be ok with my husband supporting me and not contributing myself.

raising a child is being a productive member of society.

I find it weird that society would view being a stay at home parent as not contributing. Raising the next generation is a vitally important job. Also it's weird if someone who gets paid to look after other people's kids, e.g. nanny, nursery nurse, gets a high social status because he or she is working (as in getting a salary) while someone who does the exact same thing but with their own kids and not getting paid for it, is considered to be "not contributing" and looked down upon by others.

I'm cool either way, re stay at home parent, working parent(s)... whatever works for the family (and no reason why it has to be the mum that stays at home if the dad wants to and she wants to work) - I also think a lot more people would be stay at home parents if they could afford it.
  • wozkaa
    wozkaa Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    It's funny how some preferences change over time and how some decisions are made by factors beyond our control. Life isn't scripted.

Oh yes. This.
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options
    To each their own, but it is absolutely not for me - I spent way too long getting an education and building a successful career to give it up. And I want to be a productive member of society, I would not be ok with my husband supporting me and not contributing myself.

I find it weird that society would view being a stay at home parent as not contributing. Raising the next generation is a vitally important job. Also it's weird if someone who gets paid to look after other people's kids, e.g. nanny, nursery nurse, gets a high social status because he or she is working (as in getting a salary) while someone who does the exact same thing but with their own kids and not getting paid for it, is considered to be "not contributing" and looked down upon by others.

I'm cool either way, re stay at home parent, working parent(s)... whatever works for the family (and no reason why it has to be the mum that stays at home if the dad wants to and she wants to work) - I also think a lot more people would be stay at home parents if they could afford it.

this all feels like a crazy joke. Raising children is not a job, it is part of the family cycle. Yes, it is hard work but I think SAHM seriously give themselves WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT, when there are moms who work...and still do the laundry, make the meals, grocery shop, change the diapers, play with toys, clean up, blahblahblah. Now those moms I give much credit to.
  • momtastic2014
    Options
    If you have hobbies you really are obsessed with then sure. It is nice to be able to do what you want all day, but I miss being social, getting out more, and the structure.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

this all feels like a crazy joke. Raising children is not a job, it is part of the family cycle. Yes, it is hard work but I think SAHM seriously give themselves WAY TOO MUCH CREDIT, when there are moms who work...and still do the laundry, make the meals, grocery shop, change the diapers, play with toys, clean up, blahblahblah. Now those moms I give much credit to.

So, have you ever been a SAHM?
  • bearkisses
    bearkisses Posts: 1,252 Member
    Options

no, because i plan on being a mom who also puts the bacon on the damn table! there are so many cons of being a SAHM and I honestly can't believe how many people are in support of it, what a lack of ambition, way to **** on all your dreams and set a lazy example for your kids

not to mention it is so hard to re-enter the work force, so good luck with that.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

no, because i plan on being a mom who also puts the bacon on the damn table! there are so many cons of being a SAHM and I honestly can't believe how many people are in support of it, what a lack of ambition, way to **** on all your dreams and set a lazy example for your kids

not to mention it is so hard to re-enter the work force, so good luck with that.

Hey, we put the bacon on the table! Literally! Really though, why so much hostility toward something you have no clue about?

As for setting a lazy example, not hardly in this house! My children see me run around all day doing things for them, their father, our home, and for our church. I'm sure there are some lazy women who sit around all day and watch soaps. But I'm not one of them. If our husbands don't mind earning all the money, why should that bother you or anyone else?
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    when we first adopted...my husband stayed at home since I was the major bread winner. He went back to work..and I have stayed home off an on because of layoffs--I hated it!!...

I am now up when they go to school..I come home ask about their day..cook dinner and have family meals...being a SAHM is great for some..but not for me...
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

This.
  • d_Mode
    d_Mode Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    I was a stay-at-home Dad and I loved it. Just wish I could get paid better.